Quantcast

Wait, what? Am I a picky viewer, or do you feel me on this?

Borislover

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
6,283 73 32
Alleybux
So I've been skipping around the episodes, and just watched Lawrence & Issa get it in.

I've already made peace with their decision not to show the rip of a condom to demonstrate safety, but the show's other transitions? I be like, wait, what?

For example, I loved the scene where Issa was bold about her wants at the end of the night. I would have bounced, but she went for hers. However, they just left ole boy in the Lyft hanging. I know it's a "given" that he eventually left, but I like a smoother transition or explanations within scenes.Even if Lawrence stuck his head out of the front door and called out to the Lyft driver, "You can go, chief." Boom. I'm no longer feeling bad for the driver. LOL

Some Insecure's directorial/script decisions leave me feeling unsatisfied or unconvinced as a viewer. I wanted Issa to take a little bird bath in the sink. But nah, we see her hopping up from the bed and headed out.

One more example: When Issa took the L and fell in the scene at the bar, the loud ladies seemed to be a moment. I understand the purpose of extras and walk-ons, but something about the scene made me think there would be more to it. Nah, just a red herring.

I have other examples throughout the seasons. But my main question is, do you find it jarring when the script feels like it jumps out of a scene too quickly or doesn't feel real?

Just me?:cautious::LOL:

edited - already too long

Last edited:

AmusedByIdiocy

Sense and Sensibility
Reaction score
Reactions
222,195 7,128 2,872
Alleybux
So I've been skipping around the episodes, and just watched Lawrence & Issa get it in.

I've already made peace with their decision not to show the rip of a condom to demonstrate safety, but the show's other transitions? I be like, wait, what?

For example, I loved the scene where Issa was bold about her wants at the end of the night. I would have bounced, but she went for hers. However, they just left ole boy in the Lyft hanging. I know it's a "given" that he eventually left, but I like a smoother transition or explanations within scenes.Even if Lawrence stuck his head out of the front door and called out to the Lyft driver, "You can go, chief." Boom. I'm no longer feeling bad for the driver. LOL

Some Insecure's directorial/script decisions leave me feeling unsatisfied or unconvinced as a viewer. I wanted Issa to take a little bird bath in the sink. But nah, we see her hopping up from the bed and headed out.

One more example: When Issa took the L and fell in the scene at the bar, the loud ladies seemed to be a moment. I understand the purpose of extras and walk-ons, but something about the scene made me think there would be more to it. Nah, just a red herring.

I have other examples throughout the seasons. But my main question is, do you find it jarring when the script feels like it jumps out of a scene too quickly or doesn't feel real?

Just me?:cautious::LOL:

edited - already too long

This is sooooooo me. I have these same thoughts and more. Yaaay to someone voicing them.

Borislover

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
6,283 73 32
Alleybux
By the way, the groan is such a dub. Why not share why you disagree so we can have a healthy discussion.

And no disrespect to those who don't get my original question, but I find that those who aren't aware of the intricacies and nuances of a thing, just take it at face value.

I have a friend affiliated with screenwriter issues and was taught about continuity etc.

2through

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
43,118 907 910
Alleybux
Viewers should be able to make inferences. This is a 30 minute show, not everything needs to be spelled out. You can call them continuity gaffes or whatever else, but did you really need to see the Lyft drive away to figure out he left?

That's not to say the show is perfectly paced, it isn't, but I do see a lot of nitpicking with this show in particular. Did Issa wash the dish she ate that bagel off of? We didn't see it! Type of criticism.

analuna

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
21,772 655 312
Alleybux
I think the ladies when she fell was a call back to mollys and issa in episode 1 and to show how far their friendship has fallen off.

Borislover

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
6,283 73 32
Alleybux
Viewers should be able to make inferences. This is a 30 minute show, not everything needs to be spelled out. You can call them continuity gaffes or whatever else, but did you really need to see the Lyft drive away to figure out he left?

That's not to say the show is perfectly paced, it isn't, but I do see a lot of nitpicking with this show in particular. Did Issa wash the dish she ate that bagel off of? We didn't see it! Type of criticism.

I feel you. Not everything needs to be spelled out. But they actually mentioned the Lyft driver and then didn't address it. The cut could have been placed in a different place.

And these are not criticisms. Just observations. If I feel taken out of the story because of a glaring thing, this will have me wondering instead of watching.

One more example - when Issa woke up wearing the sweatshirt, I was like huh? Unless I glazed over it, I did not see her buy the sweatshirt at the Art walk. But I was able to put two and two together when I saw the red shirt inside of her plastic bag.

So again, I feel what you're saying. I just consider HBO high level and these are my thoughts

Borislover

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
6,283 73 32
Alleybux
I think the ladies when she fell was a call back to mollys and issa in episode 1 and to show how far their friendship has fallen off.

Now this particular scene makes more sense. Thank you for shedding light!!

analuna

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
21,772 655 312
Alleybux
Now this particular scene makes more sense. Thank you for shedding light!!

I love analyzing sh!t no problem. I think the line the girls said to each other was pretty much the same as Issa & Molly's 'I'm gonna break up to him tonight/Girl no you not' from the first episode.

angela moore

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
24,314 364 105
Alleybux
By the way, the groan is such a dub. Why not share why you disagree so we can have a healthy discussion.

And no disrespect to those who don't get my original question, but I find that those who aren't aware of the intricacies and nuances of a thing, just take it at face value.

I have a friend affiliated with screenwriter issues and was taught about continuity etc.

You have a friend affiliated with “screenwriter issues” or you have a friend who’s a screenwriter? Lol

I’m a screenwriter, and the reality is time is precious. The examples you gave are things the audience can infer on their own and don’t really move the story forward (i.e. Issa taking a ho bath before leaving or them dismissing the Uber driver.) I do think, though, that the show has a general issue with leaving things too open ended, with the most recent example being Tiffany’s whole storyline.

Borislover

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
6,283 73 32
Alleybux
I love analyzing sh!t no problem. I think the line the girls said to each other was pretty much the same as Issa & Molly's 'I'm gonna break up to him tonight/Girl no you not' from the first episode.

Wow, great memory!!! I forgot all about that. And honestly, I don't think we're analyzing. We are just noticing what others gloss over!

LuvKaya

gotta have kaya now
Reaction score
Reactions
134,574 6,464 2,932
Alleybux

I like your observation.

chumbawumba

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
68,755 730 206
Alleybux
I agree that the show has pacing issues and even dialogue issues that mess with the story telling. But the points you mentioned are things that we as viewers can infer, at least in my opinion.

Reese Pieces

Codename Voodoo
Reaction score
Reactions
207,294 4,098 1,446
Alleybux
The condom thing I 100% agree, I like they poked fun at us for noticing it by the condom on the mirror scene. It would have been a quick chance for a comedy scene to do something with Uber but it wouldn’t move the story along, same thing with the restaurant. It was meant to call back to Issas awkward nature, I mean 9/10 if any of us fell we would have hoped up asap. The loud people are the reality of going out, this is why I stay in the house. The pushing, screaming, loud off key singing, and general nosiness are too stressful

Borislover

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
6,283 73 32
Alleybux
I'm firm on my Lyft example and bird bath y'all. Rewatch the scenes and come back with your apologies!

The cut shoulda been sooner. Either don't mention the Lyft guy and cut to the scene or stick your head out the door and tell him to go on.

There is no "inference" with the bird bath. If I'm not mistaken, she literally climbs out of bed and walks out. There was no cut. Therefore no inference.

To the question about my affiliated friend, she's super private and I can't go into details about what she does.

This post is just for fun and the study of film!