Quantcast

UPDATE Do You Think My Professor Was Being Racist?

Was she being racist?

• Total voters

Rexo

“ʏᴏᴜ ʟᴀᴄᴋ ᴄᴏɴᴠɪᴄᴛɪᴏɴ”──✮⋆˙♛
Reaction score
Reactions
231,447 3,935 964
Alleybux
I have a meeting with the math department Monday morning.

For those who have encountered any racist or just downright mean professors or even if you didn't, continue to flourish in life and continue to be the best version of yourself that you can possibly be.

I have read a lot of your responses everyone and I appreciate what you have said. I appreciate many of you didn't come in this thread rude, negative, and/or condescending. I am grateful for the Hugs and responses. God bless and enjoy your weekend.

tenor.gif

I seriously cannot believe this became a featured thread...

-

I'm currently taking a math course, and we have this thing where after a test, we will privately speak to the professor one-on-one and explain how we got our answers. This is a way to make sure a student did not cheat.

Now, I came to this one-on-one meeting prepared. Explanations ready. So my professor (she's an old Russian woman), asked me how I got my first answer. I explained it, provide steps, and she said I didn't explain it right, and so she deducted points. I even wrote my formula on how I got it. Still, N O T H I N G. She said my answer was right but she won't give me credit.

She gave me points for a few questions but again she wouldn't give me full credit and she would say I didn't explain enough when I did. I really did. She gave me a 60. I told her I didn't answer one question that was worth 15 points because I did not understand it, I should've gotten an 85, or an 80 at least! She said no and constantly said I didn't explain it well. I kept telling her, I tried to explain, but she wouldn't hear it.

She then said, "Because you are arguing and having an attitude, I will give you 50". You guys, I didn't have an attitude, I wasn't arguing but I was defending myself on why I did not deserve such a low grade when majority of my answers were correct.

I voice recorded the part where she said I was arguing and had an attitude.

I immediately reported it to the Math department. When she said I had a 50, my voice was cracking but I was trying to keep myself together, but the moment she said it was final, I closed my web browser.

I told my mother and she said she's a racist to say because of my attitude I deserved a 50.

What do you guys think? I've never experienced something like this before. This is a required course and I have so many math courses to take afterward because I'm a computer student.

Have you guys experienced something similar?

Last edited:

B00BooKeyS

Shut up
Reaction score
Reactions
79,488 1,913 432
Alleybux
She just sounds like a bish, old professors seem miserable most of the time ESPECIALLY the math department

edit:

i had a gender and sexuality OLD ass professor who told me, straight in front of the class, that I was gonna fail my final and I went to the bathroom and started sobbing. Old professors hit different in a bad way. I passed with an 80 too LMAO

Last edited:

boom1234

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
14,473 521 366
Alleybux
Yep, she was. What happened after you reported her? Talk to the Dean of the department.. This has to be an intro class, because higher level math classes don’t have time for this.

thoughtsabt

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
42,911 2,571 1,508
Alleybux
good that you recorded it! This will save you. Report her to the dean. Contact your diversity office if your school has one.

There is no deduction for attitude when it comes to STEM courses. Let the dean know you need a third party now during all interactions with your professor. you are being unfairly judged. see if other students have the same feeling. Get together.
You younger students have something we didn’t have when we were in college. You have recordings, zoom meetings, and stronger antidiscrimination rules. please use it!

You younger students have something we didn’t have when we were in college. You have recordings, zoom meetings, and stronger antidiscrimination rules. please use it!

Message me what questions you got wrong. I will help explain it to you so that you understand. Next write it down how you to get it right and bring it to your dean. As a black woman, I hate our younger black students are going through what we go through.

Last edited:

Knee Knee

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
331,967 9,401 1,534
Alleybux
Not enough information to make a claim that she’s racist but it does sound like she’s a b!tch that needs to be reported!

Lady Vixx

Life could be worse
Reaction score
Reactions
4,866 122 8
Alleybux
Contact the Ombudsman, but also, there should be a department on campus that deals with discrimination. Check the resources available and if you cannot find any, reach out to any Black/Afro/Caribbean group on campus to better point you in the right direction. It is good to contact the Math department, but they usually look out for each other so you need a third party on your side. Record any interactions moving forward with this professor and save every email, assignment, notes, and documents. You will need it when you appeal your grade and they will have someone else grade your work (usually at the end of the term).

Some universities literally fail black/minority students on purpose to keep them back and retaking classes for money, especially international students. Had a horrible experience at a PWI in Canada.. had to transfer to a more diverse uni and it was vastly different. Don’t ever think that her grading of you defines your knowledge and capabilities. That is only one person’s opinions. For STEM courses, you’d think it would be harder to discriminate because there is only a right answer, not an opinion. She designed her course in a way that she can mask bias in the form of integrity and academic dishonesty by meeting with each student. This means, she is not grading based on your answers or work, but how she feels about you. By her lowering your mark based on “attitude” that lets you know she is not marking from integrity and academia, but pure bias/racism.

Loeny

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
84,767 6,962 11,544
Alleybux
I told her I didn't answer one question that was worth 15 points because I did not understand it, I should've gotten an 85, or an 80 at least!

If you don't understand a question, you don't get points for that.

"Because you are arguing and having an attitude, I will give you 50".

That will teach you! Arguing with a professor is not usually going to end well.

I told my mother and she said she's a racist to say because of my attitude I deserved a 50.

Where is the race issue? All races of students are argumentative and "get attitude" so NO it is not racist.

Rexo

Reaction score
Reactions
231,447 3,935 964
Alleybux
If you don't understand a question, you don't get points for that.

That will teach you! Arguing with a professor is not usually going to end well

Where is the race issue? All races of students are argumentative and "get attitude" so NO it is not racist.

Did you read what I wrote? Did you actual read and process what I wrote? I'm not gonna re-explain because your dumb ass can't realize and refuse to realize. I'm glad you got off on this you piece of sh!t.

It's like yall refuse to read.

1. If it's a 7 question test and if you get ALL answers correct, except for one that is worth fifteen points, it's automatically an 85. Dumbass!

2. No one argued with this woman.

Loeny

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
84,767 6,962 11,544
Alleybux

I don't know about racist, but it's super petty and unprofessional to take off points because you have an "attitude".

She probably was going to bump her up from a 50 to a 60 but when she presented with what the professor perceived as attitude, she gave her the 50 that she earned.

Now, if this is true and OP contests the grade, OP loses.

Loeny

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
84,767 6,962 11,544
Alleybux
Did you read what I wrote? Did you actual read and process what I wrote? I'm not gonna re-explain because your dumb ass can't realize and refuse to realize. I'm glad you got off on this you piece of sh!t.

It's like yall refuse to read.

1. If it's a 7 question test and you get ALL answers correct, except for one that is worth fifteen points, it's automatically an 85. Dumbass!

2. No one argued with this woman.
Thanks for proving my point.

Rexo

Reaction score
Reactions
231,447 3,935 964
Alleybux
Thanks for proving my point.
You have no point. I came to correct you when you were being ignorant and wrong. The same way that professor was being.

PrincessOfMiami

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
6,784 163 40
Alleybux
I would definitely report her to the department chair or dean because she can’t lower your test grade because you had “an attitude” or “argued” with her which it doesn’t seem like you did especially since it’s a math class you show work on paper.

It’s also really weird that you have to speak with her one on one to explain how you got your answers it seems like she has a lot of free time cause that sounds time consuming

Feather

LSA Is Not Your Therapist
Reaction score
Reactions
23,112 1,810 703
Alleybux
Yeah, that'll work.( sarcasm)
Universities are not retail stores where you report a bad employee to the manager and get results.

Be quiet. You sound racist your damn self.
Actually, you can report issues with instructors to the Dean of that department and if the Dean doesn’t address the issue, I’ve seen emails sent to the provost and president of the college. The issue IS addressed at that point. College is not free. Students tuition pays the salary of ALL staff at the college. FOH if you think racists will be wearing their KKK hoods in any capacity where I’m spending my money.

Rexo

Reaction score
Reactions
231,447 3,935 964
Alleybux
I reported her to the Math Department, I'm still waiting to hear back from them but they don't know me, I'll keep messaging all departments of that college. Until I get a response from the Dean/Chairman.

Also that Loeny font can stay bitter cos while I just checked my e-mail to see if they responded this morning, I got an email from my university. They gave me COVID-19 relief fund money. I'm a $1,000 richer.

The Devil decided to try me this Friday morning, but God prevailed in the end.

tenor.gif

Last edited:

GrateCarma

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
799 18 40
Alleybux
Why would it be racist? If your professor wasn't Russian and was Black, would you still think it was race-based? What if the professor was Nigerian?

Reaction score
Reactions
8,340 203 83
Alleybux
Please stop arguing with these mental midget fools. Same people would've tried to talk a runaway into staying a damn slave and narced them out in the process.

I can't stand people who really try to argue their cowardice into others. If you never want to stand up for yourself, by all means sit there and be "nice" and take whatever you get out of life. The rest of us have places to go.

Reaction score
Reactions
4,810 122 112
Alleybux
Write down the interaction and send it to yourself as an email.

Write every detail, what questions she asked and what/how you answered, her responses and your responses. Use this when asked if you documented the incident.

Do not frame your complaint as a race issue because it doesn't sound like one. You have a right to dispute her grading

Rexo

Reaction score
Reactions
231,447 3,935 964
Alleybux
Why would it be racist? If your professor wasn't Russian and was Black, would you still think it was race-based? What if the professor was Nigerian?
For me, I don't think so, but then again majority of the students in my class were black/brown. Now I didn't share this in my OP, but other students have had complaints. She refuses to give students a 100.

For example, everyone lost ten points because she didn't clarify a certain question. She wanted us to do a problem using the special right angle formula, but she never wrote that in the question. It just said solve. So we all did Law of Sines. Then she blamed us for not listening but there was nothing to listen to cos she didn't tell anyone!

After my meeting, a Hispanic girl got a 40. She said the professor told her she was faking a sickness she had, the Hispanic girl said she took her second dose of the vaccination so she felt the side effects. The professor went on a tangent during their meeting about which vaccine to take, and didn't have enough time to go over her test. So the girl got a 40.

Rexo

Reaction score
Reactions
231,447 3,935 964
Alleybux
Please stop arguing with these mental midget fools. Same people would've tried to talk a runaway into staying a damn slave and narced them out in the process.

I can't stand people who really try to argue their cowardice into others. If you never want to stand up for yourself, by all means sit there and be "nice" and take whatever you get out of life. The rest of us have places to go.

I should've never responded back to them but I can't stand how mfs be coming onto posts sounding so condescending and so wrong. You're right! Absolutely right.

I had to stand up for myself and my voice wasn't snappy, even in my recording, I didn't raise my voice but this lady kept stuttering and talking over me.

toad

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
2,120 76 18
Alleybux
Unprofessional and racist! Conscience bias why did she comment on your
She then said, "Because you are arguing and having an attitude, I will give you 50". You guys, I didn't have an attitude, I wasn't arguing but I was defending myself on why I did not deserve such a low grade when majority of my answers were correct.
Unprofessional and conscious bias = racist!

Sobreviviente

Birds of a feather "flocks" together
Reaction score
Reactions
71,385 976 342
Alleybux
Not enough information to make a claim that she’s racist but it does sound like she’s a b!tch that needs to be reported!
Agree - from the info given, I don't think there's enough here to say definitively, she is or isn't racist.

On another note, OP, I'm seeing the same in my courses (students not answering portions of the question) and being upset when they get points taken off. IMO, it's kinda hard for you to argue against what may seem to be an excessive deduction when you admit to not addressing pieces of the assignment.

Next time, take a stab at answering the question. Even if it's wrong, the optics are much better than skipping the question all together.

Last edited:

Rexo

Reaction score
Reactions
231,447 3,935 964
Alleybux
Unprofessional and racist! Conscience bias why did she comment on your

Unprofessional and conscious bias = racist!

It was a 7 question test. All 6 of them were CORRECT. I didn't answer one question that was worth 15 points. That would be an 85. Also, she said for one question that was worth 10 points was wrong cos, I didn't do a certain formula, when she never put it on the test which formula to use. She wanted us to do special right angle formula, but the entire class did the Law of Sines formula. She never clarified. Yet she said she told us last week. First of all, she didn't. Second of all, how is a student going to remember something all the way from last week.

So if that's another 10 points, my grade should've been a 75. So where tf the 60 came from and then I get a 50, when I decide to speak up.

CatchThesehandsHOE

Material Girl...lol not really
Reaction score
Reactions
22,819 551 268
Alleybux
Yes, your professor was using racially offensive language. Especially if you're a black girl. She is attributing you asserting yourself and you trying to understand your grade as a "threat to her authority." You did the right thing reporting her.

Last edited:

On and On and On and On...
Reaction score
Reactions
95,967 4,159 569
Alleybux
I'm currently taking a math course, and we have this thing where after a test, we will privately speak to the professor one-on-one and explain how we got our answers. This is a way to make sure a student did not cheat.

Now, I came to this one-on-one meeting prepared. Explanations ready. So my professor (she's an old Russian woman), asked me how I got my first answer. I explained it, provide steps, and she said I didn't explain it right, and so she deducted points. I even wrote my formula on how I got it. Still, N O T H I N G. She said my answer was right but she won't give me credit.

She gave me points for a few questions but again she wouldn't give me full credit and she would say I didn't explain enough when I did. I really did. She gave me a 60. I told her I didn't answer one question that was worth 15 points because I did not understand it, I should've gotten an 85, or an 80 at least! She said no and constantly said I didn't explain it well. I kept telling her, I tried to explain, but she wouldn't hear it.

I voice recorded the part where she said I was arguing and had an attitude.

I immediately reported it to the Math department. When she said I had a 50, my voice was cracking but I was trying to keep myself together, but the moment she said it was final, I closed my web browser.

What do you guys think? I've never experienced something like this before. This is a required course and I have so many math courses to take afterward because I'm a computer student.

File a complaint against her. I have never heard of a professor deducting points because a student did not explain it well. If you provide formulas, that's all you need. She needs to be reported. If this is a math class, why is your grade contingent on your ability to communicate orally? It's a fµck!ng math class! Furthermore, it is not legal or justified to deduct points from a student's assessment for having an "attitude". A student could literally call me a b!tch and there's nothing I can do with their grade if they earned it. That's bµllsh!t. If she fails you, file an appeal and keep your documentation/recordings. They will have to let you take the class over without ruining your GPA or refund your money. I can't stand mean ass impossible instructors like this. Many are racist and are mentally unhinged in other ways and academia is the only place they can find stable employment (if they get tenure). They get off on "weeding out" students they feel shouldn't be there. I teach college and this type of behavior on her part is unacceptable by the standards of academia and you shouldn't accept it either.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Reactions
3,502 258 138
Alleybux
They make you all do all that to justify your answers? That's crazy to me. I'm a librarian at a university---- students are mostly taking their classes online now and even the most difficult professors only make the students use a program with a camera.

Rexo

Reaction score
Reactions
231,447 3,935 964
Alleybux
I found the email for Chairman of the Math Department. I sent her a lengthy email explaining what happened. Hopefully, she responds and there is a solution to this.

CherryCherie

Go on girl, do your show...
Reaction score
Reactions
7,436 143 25
Alleybux
My physics professor was Russian and I worked with a lot of affluent Russians on a project once... they appreciate hard work but only when done the “Russian” way. Very rigid and no wiggle room.

It is cultural but also racist. Their personalities and ways of doing things are so crass and blunt. They also have an odd sense of humor. They’re against anyone not Russian though so I think it is a combination.

toad

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
2,120 76 18
Alleybux
Yes, your professor was using racially offensive language. Especially if you're a black girl. She is attributing you asserting yourself and you trying to understand your grade as a threat to her "authority." You did the right thing reporting her.

This!

BrownSkin_Girl

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
93,219 977 164
Alleybux
OP, don’t listen to some of these weirdos on your post. That white woman microagressed the hell out of you and is probably doing it to other students or color. I notice in the STEM fields, especially if students attend PWIs some of the introductory courses are “weed out courses”. Many times these professors will go the distance to undermine Black and Brown students and say “they couldn’t cut it” meanwhile passing doofus ass white students. It sounds like you had thorough explanations with your work to back it up but because you didn’t explain it how she wanted you to, using specific formulas she deducted points and she can’t do that. You did a good job of recording the exchange and as someone mentioned up top send an email to the ombudsman bc that’s what they are there for. OP, wishing you much success in your future endeavors and protection against white supremacy and racism attempting to take your shine or dismiss you.

Giggles2cute

Keeping it gully 24/7
Reaction score
Reactions
16,964 1,795 2,294
Alleybux
Sorry but sounds like she’s being Russian and old miserable professor instead of racist. Russians don’t like Americans in general and it stems way back.

Remember that episode of law and order svu where that Russian was tutoring and torturing his daughter into being a top student?

Having been to Russia they are stern culture and downright crazy at times.

Last edited:

knc286

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
35,509 1,441 462
Alleybux
I used to have this happen because I was a straight A student. Professors would pull me in and ask me to explain how I got my answers because how come this girl with an ethnic first and last name is scoring higher than the rest of the class. Honors classes were worst.
I took an honors microbiology class with a Ivy League student who was home for the summer and I was scoring better than her while working two jobs.
Anyways, I digress. Journal or write an email detailing the encounter. Be very detailed and remove any presumptions. Just be objective. This is what happened. Do not speculate. And go to the dean or higher up. And ask if someone else can grade you from now on.

good for you for recording the interaction bleep recording because this woman seems prejudiced and out to get you.

message me the question you missed. I am good at math and I will explain it so you get it.
I hope you get 100s in the rest of the quizzes. I love to see prejudiced professors Seethe.

threattonature

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
8,279 397 148
Alleybux
I had one math teacher do the same to me. I'm a black man and he was an older white man. I had gone all the way to advanced calculus in high school so taking college algebra was basically to get an easy class. So in my studies I had learned easier ways to do problems than our professor was teaching plus I was crazy with the math and did most of the calculations in my head so only wrote down little notes on the test instead of writing down each step that I went throuh. So even though I got every question right he hit me with an 80 on the exam. Luckily my situation went better as I approached him after to ask why the 80 and he told me I didn't show enough work. I then walked through each problem with him and told him how I came to the solution and got my grade bumped back up.

Veronica987

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
9,777 145 12
Alleybux
HA! Yes, I've experienced the same. The professor was a former high school teacher and she was treating me like a high school student. She even referred to us as "her kids". Can you speak to the Dean? At my school I couldn't, I had to go to the office where you sign up for classes and explain, they in turn spoke to the instructor. College is different from High School, college depends on students to pay tuition, if you're not happy they're going to be afraid of losing your money, go explain the situation to someone at the school.

Rexo

Reaction score
Reactions
231,447 3,935 964
Alleybux
I used to have this happen because I was a straight A student. Professors would pull me in and ask me to explain how I got my answers because how come this girl with an ethnic first and last name is scoring higher than the rest of the class. Honors classes were worst.
I took an honors microbiology class with a Ivy League student who was home for the summer and I was scoring better than her while working two jobs.
Anyways, I digress. Journal or write an email detailing the encounter. Be very detailed and remove any presumptions. Just be objective. This is what happened. Do not speculate. And go to the dean or higher up. And ask if someone else can grade you from now on.

good for you for recording the interaction bleep recording because this woman seems prejudiced and out to get you.

message me the question you missed. I am good at math and I will explain it so you get it.
I hope you get 100s in the rest of the quizzes. I love to see prejudiced professors Seethe.

I tried to start a conversation, it didn’t work. Can you try, please? I also didn’t see the option to attach files.