Quantcast

UPDATE Do You Think My Professor Was Being Racist?

Was she being racist?

• Total voters

ben33

vincy to da bone
Reaction score
Reactions
56,877 2,797 2,997
Alleybux
I know that I am late, but what you wrote about your professor does not make her racist. There is something called a rubric that will determine your score on a question. You may use a wrong working and end up with the correct answer. Therefore, your teacher cannot give you marks for working, which is usually where the majority of the marks lie. I could also see why the teacher told you that you have an attitude.
For example, if my students have to calculate the voltage of circuit and they only give me the correct answer, that is only 1 mark out of 4.

gymnfan1

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
12,088 399 417
Alleybux
Wow, I am not a math person, so I didn't know this was a thing. So, you have to use one method to achieve the right answer? No other methods will do? I didn't know mathematics was that rigid.
Yes... generally in math/statistics there is a method that will get you to the correct answer all the time. Using other methods may get you to the correct answer once or twice but it will not get you to the correct answer all the time. That's why they want you to show your work and learn the correct method. Math based courses use a building model. What you learn in the first course is the building block for the second, and so on... if you don't get the method right in the first course, you are kind of screwed for later courses.

My problem with the OP's professor is that (a) she didn't require this the entire semester and sort of blindsided them with it on the exam, (b) she didn't explain the logic of why she requires it, and (c) she clearly does not know how to communicate with her students.

MsFraser

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
84,013 10,016 2,198
Alleybux
I have a meeting with the math department Monday morning.

For those who have encountered any racist or just downright mean professors or even if you didn't, continue to flourish in life and continue to be the best version of yourself that you can possibly be.

I have read a lot of your responses everyone and I appreciate what you have said. I appreciate many of you didn't come in this thread rude, negative, and/or condescending. I am grateful for the Hugs and responses. God bless and enjoy your weekend.

tenor.gif

I seriously cannot believe this became a featured thread...

-

I'm currently taking a math course, and we have this thing where after a test, we will privately speak to the professor one-on-one and explain how we got our answers. This is a way to make sure a student did not cheat.

Now, I came to this one-on-one meeting prepared. Explanations ready. So my professor (she's an old Russian woman), asked me how I got my first answer. I explained it, provide steps, and she said I didn't explain it right, and so she deducted points. I even wrote my formula on how I got it. Still, N O T H I N G. She said my answer was right but she won't give me credit.

She gave me points for a few questions but again she wouldn't give me full credit and she would say I didn't explain enough when I did. I really did. She gave me a 60. I told her I didn't answer one question that was worth 15 points because I did not understand it, I should've gotten an 85, or an 80 at least! She said no and constantly said I didn't explain it well. I kept telling her, I tried to explain, but she wouldn't hear it.

She then said, "Because you are arguing and having an attitude, I will give you 50". You guys, I didn't have an attitude, I wasn't arguing but I was defending myself on why I did not deserve such a low grade when majority of my answers were correct.

I voice recorded the part where she said I was arguing and had an attitude.

I immediately reported it to the Math department. When she said I had a 50, my voice was cracking but I was trying to keep myself together, but the moment she said it was final, I closed my web browser.

I told my mother and she said she's a racist to say because of my attitude I deserved a 50.

What do you guys think? I've never experienced something like this before. This is a required course and I have so many math courses to take afterward because I'm a computer student.

Have you guys experienced something similar?
Tell her to go back to Russia. This woman is incompetent and her approach is incompatible with Western standards. I once had a Romanian teacher (doubt she was a professor) and she could barely speak English. I gave her negative reviews.

Buffalo Butt

Ultimate Gobbler
Reaction score
Reactions
235,723 14,463 4,448
Alleybux
a

DMAT as in India’s test?
No some students aren't placing well on their entry tests and have to take developmental math (DMAT) courses before they're allowed to take college level math.

These are usually students who didn't do well in Algebra 2 (high school math) and Algebra 2 is college algebra. I take their dmat courses and their required math course for a fee.

Queen Ann

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
8,896 146 221
Alleybux

For those who have encountered any racist or just downright mean professors or even if you didn't, continue to flourish in life and continue to be the best version of yourself that you can possibly be.

I have read a lot of your responses everyone and I appreciate what you have said. I appreciate many of you didn't come in this thread rude, negative, and/or condescending. I am grateful for the Hugs and responses. God bless and enjoy your weekend.

tenor.gif

-

I'm currently taking a math course, and we have this thing where after a test, we will privately speak to the professor one-on-one and explain how we got our answers. This is a way to make sure a student did not cheat.

Now, I came to this one-on-one meeting prepared. Explanations ready. So my professor (she's an old Russian woman), asked me how I got my first answer. I explained it, provide steps, and she said I didn't explain it right, and so she deducted points. I even wrote my formula on how I got it. Still, N O T H I N G. She said my answer was right but she won't give me credit.

She gave me points for a few questions but again she wouldn't give me full credit and she would say I didn't explain enough when I did. I really did. She gave me a 60. I told her I didn't answer one question that was worth 15 points because I did not understand it, I should've gotten an 85, or an 80 at least! She said no and constantly said I didn't explain it well. I kept telling her, I tried to explain, but she wouldn't hear it.

She then said, "Because you are arguing and having an attitude, I will give you 50". You guys, I didn't have an attitude, I wasn't arguing but I was defending myself on why I did not deserve such a low grade when majority of my answers were correct.

I immediately reported it to the Math department. When she said I had a 50, my voice was cracking but I was trying to keep myself together, but the moment she said it was final, I closed my web browser.

I told my mother and she said she's a racist to say because of my attitude I deserved a 50.

What do you guys think? I've never experienced something like this before. This is a required course and I have so many math courses to take afterward because I'm a computer student.

Racist. I'm a professor, and I don't play such mind games with my students. Take it to the General Counsel's office. Title 4, Title 7, and Title 9 of the Civil Rights Act protect you from such nonsense. See what your HR has to say about this issue as welll.

thoughtsabt

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
42,912 2,571 1,508
Alleybux
Yes... generally in math/statistics there is a method that will get you to the correct answer all the time. Using other methods may get you to the correct answer once or twice but it will not get you to the correct answer all the time. That's why they want you to show your work and learn the correct method. Math based courses use a building model. What you learn in the first course is the building block for the second, and so on... if you don't get the method right in the first course, you are kind of screwed for later courses.

My problem with the OP's professor is that (a) she didn't require this the entire semester and sort of blindsided them with it on the exam, (b) she didn't explain the logic of why she requires it, and (c) she clearly does not know how to communicate with her students.
Exactly! I am guessing OP is an online student, she wrote about zoom meetings. The professor could have asked all students to send an email to her of their written work showing how they got their answers 15 minutes after the test ended. This is how you grade a student without bias, discrimination, personality checks.

This professor did not want to go through written work to “grade” and so they use verbal “show your works” on a math exam? Why not ask for their written notes?

I hope OP reads this post I wrote, so she knows what points to make on Monday’s meeting. Racism is not the argument worth trying to prove.

Melaleuca

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
1,556 30 39
Alleybux
you must not have read anything i said because i definitely addressed this. we don’t know what her field is but if it is math relevant then this would make sense—as i said. you’re assuming a whole lot and i’m working with the info we were given.
You can’t be working with the information given if:

1. You missed the part where she said she was a computer major, in her OP, and that it required many math classes.

2. There’s no information given relevant to your response. Which means you’re making...assumptions. clutches pearls
Bc fr fr, me having a different assumption doesn’t change the fact you’re assuming too.

if you read for comprehension and not to disagree, you would see that the OP leaves out important info/struggles with clarity. Which would negate this entire thread!

That poor professor.

BTW! you would have definitely got the 60 too, boo...

Veyonce Poulain

cowboy poulain
Reaction score
Reactions
152,914 2,753 2,114
Alleybux
You can’t be working with the information given if:

1. You missed the part where she said she was a computer major, in her OP, and that it required many math classes.

2. There’s no information given relevant to your response. Which means you’re making...assumptions. clutches pearls
Bc fr fr, me having a different assumption doesn’t change the fact you’re assuming too.

if you read for comprehension and not to disagree, you would see that the OP leaves out important info/struggles with clarity. Which would negate this entire thread!

That poor professor.

BTW! you would have definitely got the 60 too, boo...
girl get off your damn high horse. what are you here to prove? clobbering people over the head with the same talking points isn’t going to change a thing. ok, you sympathize with the cunt professor. we get it! unfortunately we don’t have any cookies to give you so i don’t know what tf it is that you want. get a grip.

Melaleuca

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
1,556 30 39
Alleybux
girl get off your damn high horse. what are you here to prove? clobbering people over the head with the same talking points isn’t going to change a thing. ok, you sympathize with the cunt professor. we get it! unfortunately we don’t have any cookies to give you so i don’t know what tf it is that you want. get a grip.
If you're a basic b!tch that lacks critical thinking skills with no upward mobility and a bad case of victimhood, just say that!

It's only clobbering if you're inept. Otherwise, it's basic reasoning, Dumbass. Now take your ass on. Been out of your depth.

Veyonce Poulain

cowboy poulain
Reaction score
Reactions
152,914 2,753 2,114
Alleybux
If you're a basic b!tch that lacks critical thinking skills with no upward mobility and a bad case of victimhood, just say that!

It's only clobbering if you're inept. Otherwise, it's basic reasoning, Dumbass. Now take your ass on. Been out of your depth.
now you just sound crazy. go to bed.

unbothered people don’t carry on this way. what kind of wide-backed blowhard speaks to people this way expecting them to receive a word they’re saying? you’re bad at trolling.

Veyonce Poulain

cowboy poulain
Reaction score
Reactions
152,914 2,753 2,114
Alleybux

case in point y’all– see the quoted.^

this person agrees with op’s professor. font cannot even carry on with respectful discourse without calling people b!tches and tapping into their innate nastiness to communicate.

this is real miserable girl sh!t.

professors have too much power and sometimes fonts like her become your instructors. smh

Loeny

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
84,768 6,962 11,545
Alleybux
Be quiet. You sound racist your damn self.
Actually, you can report issues with instructors to the Dean of that department and if the Dean doesn’t address the issue, I’ve seen emails sent to the provost and president of the college. The issue IS addressed at that point. College is not free. Students tuition pays the salary of ALL staff at the college. FOH if you think racists will be wearing their KKK hoods in any capacity where I’m spending my money.
Yeah, no federal funding, no state funding, no endowments, no donations...students pay salaries. What a crock.
Also, I never said one cannot report issues. I basically said that you cannot always expect the same result as you would get by reporting a retail worker to the manager.

Most universities have policies and procedures to be followed when there is a dispute with a professor.

thoughtsabt

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
42,912 2,571 1,508
Alleybux

tenor.gif

-

Update?

Rexo

“ʏᴏᴜ ʟᴀᴄᴋ ᴄᴏɴᴠɪᴄᴛɪᴏɴ”──✮⋆˙♛
Reaction score
Reactions
231,458 3,936 964
Alleybux
So the math department sent a message to the Chairman. So I’m waiting for her to respond to their email. I was Cc’d in the email. Once she is available, I’ll be able to tell her in detail what occurred and I have the audio recording to back it up.

thoughtsabt

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
42,912 2,571 1,508
Alleybux
So the math department sent a message to the Chairman. So I’m waiting for her to respond to their email. I was Cc’d in the email. Once she is available, I’ll be able to tell her in detail what occurred and I have the audio recording to back it up.
Good luck!