Quantcast

Was Prince ever completely 'monogamous'?

elavocado

The Beautiful One
Reaction score
Reactions
7,566 84 24
Alleybux
I've never really paid much attention about P's romantic relationships until recently. But I've noticed that it seems like he's always dated multiple women at the same time and that he wasn't completely faithful even to his ex-wives. Now, I'm curious if there was ever a time he was completely monogamous. Also, why do you think he never settled for one woman for a long period of time (long as in over a decade)?

Lilly rose

MVP
BANNED
Reaction score
Reactions
611 71 20
Alleybux
I've never really paid much attention about P's romantic relationships until recently. But I've noticed that it seems like he's always dated multiple women at the same time and that he wasn't completely faithful even to his ex-wives. Now, I'm curious if there was ever a time he was completely monogamous. Also, why do you think he never settled for one woman for a long period of time (long as in over a decade)?
Maybe in the late 70s

WreakingHavoc

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
7,080 226 31
Alleybux

I have a difficult time believing you never paid attention to Ps romantic relationships. :cautious::cautious:

Kirakuni

Praying 4 peace
Reaction score
Reactions
47,839 1,743 541
Alleybux
Doubt it. Monogamy is a relatively recent idea though. Throughout history men had multiple women/wives/concubines. It ain't for me but if all parties are consenting then who am I to judge?

elavocado

The Beautiful One
Reaction score
Reactions
7,566 84 24
Alleybux
I have a difficult time believing you never paid attention to Ps romantic relationships. :cautious::cautious:

I mean I knew about his main relationships Vanity, Mayte, Manuela etc. But I never knew that he was juggling three girlfriends in the 90s before he finally married Mayte. I think that's when I truly realized how much of a, for lack of a better term, philanderer he was.

Lilly rose

MVP
BANNED
Reaction score
Reactions
611 71 20
Alleybux
I mean I knew about his main relationships Vanity, Mayte, Manuela etc. But I never knew that he was juggling three girlfriends in the 90s before he finally married Mayte. I think that's when I truly realized how much of a, for lack of a better term, philanderer he was.
Lol he was still juggling while married to Mayte

realtalk92

love yourself
Reaction score
Reactions
97,096 3,908 8,046
Alleybux
Was Damaris just a platonic friendship? They seemed to have a lot of chemistry and attraction.

40 Acres and a MULE

Madonna, JT, Elvis benefited from white privilege!
Reaction score
Reactions
157,108 9,093 2,094
Alleybux
He was juggling in the 80s too
Was messing with Sheila e, Susannah melvoin, and Jill Jones around the same time

Lazuli

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
61,195 2,715 1,946
Alleybux
Doubtful. But to be fair, when your that high up in Hollywood, its a given that Monogamy is a no. xes is pretty much expected to secure connections and advance at that level.

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
17,723 4,424 906
Alleybux
Doubt it. Monogamy is a relatively recent idea though. Throughout history men had multiple women/wives/concubines. It ain't for me but if all parties are consenting then who am I to judge?

Throughout "HIStory"? You are talking about Patriarchy in the last 5 to 6 thousand years, which is a blink of an eye. Monogamy is not a recent idea, Patriarchy is. The same groups you are portraying as normal also routinely kill women, rape children and have slaves, but, if that is your "norm" okay. The species that humans are closest to pair bond for life. There are also plenty of species where females have multiple partners, the female is bigger than the male, groups are co-operative not hierarchical etc but that doesn't fit the patriarchal narrative of history.

I doubt Prince was capable emotionally, mentally or spiritually of monogamy; look at the people he was with (aside from Denise and a couple of others), it's actually pretty embarrassing. He was a product of the current culture and the deep seated misogyny. If anything (before he converted), he helped to usher in the promotion of pδrn culture and the objectification of women (all those he were with are basically interchangeable). For all his talk about love and empowering women his actions/image often glorified the exact opposite.

anynameyouwish

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
13,820 666 389
Alleybux
Throughout "HIStory"? You are talking about Patriarchy in the last 5 to 6 thousand years, which is a blink of an eye. Monogamy is not a recent idea, Patriarchy is. The same groups you are portraying as normal also routinely kill women, rape children and have slaves, but, if that is your "norm" okay. The species that humans are closest to pair bond for life. There are also plenty of species where females have multiple partners, the female is bigger than the male, groups are co-operative not hierarchical etc but that doesn't fit the patriarchal narrative of history.

I doubt Prince was capable emotionally, mentally or spiritually of monogamy; look at the people he was with (aside from Denise and a couple of others), it's actually pretty embarrassing. He was a product of the current culture and the deep seated misogyny. If anything (before he converted), he helped to usher in the promotion of pδrn culture and the objectification of women (all those he were with are basically interchangeable). For all his talk about love and empowering women his actions/image often glorified the exact opposite.

A couple things...
--He never talked of empowering women until 2014. Women said that about him and much later in life. In 2014, in an interview, it was the first time he ever said women should be in power.
--He objectified himself as well. Look at his outfits back in the day. He was a xes object as well. He wore less clothes than most women who ever worked for him.
--I disagree that they were interchangeable as much as you say. (Some were--Diamond and Pearl but many of them had their quirks or characteristics that stood out which is why we still talk about them today. The Twinz were there to dance and sing and look the same but interestingly they did interviews at the time of working for Prince [as did Diamond and Pearl] in which they said their real names and promoted themselves..and after he stopped using the Twinz as dancers, he hired one of them as photographer) At the end of his life when he was tipping more toward empowerment, he was working with Janelle Monae and genuinely talented women. Sorry, we all love Denise but musically speaking, Judith Hill is ten times more talented.

In summary, Prince's relationship with women is not that simple, especially when we consider all the women he hired who were not proteges.

"pδrn" Culture did not start with Prince and I would argue that the sexualizing of female pop stars was more influenced by Madonna because she made herself a global icon using her own sexuality. (and more power to her...I don't think we should confuse or mix feminism with Puritanism.) Is it overused today? Yes. And maybe that's patriarchy to blame..because once they see something that works and also gets them off, they can't let it go.

--He never dated Damaris Lewis (that is referenced earlier in the thread).

Last edited:

BedtimeStories

Only Prince knows for sure.
Reaction score
Reactions
50,009 551 114
Alleybux
I think he had bouts of monogamy but look at it from the women's perspective. He was working ALL THE TIME. And he was working during irregular hours. That'll alone would wear out a regular person's body. So maybe you don't really mind if you don't get that 2 am call and you convince yourself that he's at home sleeping, too?

Laurarichardson

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
32,407 1,791 2,496
Alleybux

Sorry pδrn culture started with organized crime. Long before Prince came along and men have always been dogs since the beginning of time.

NaughtyProfessor

bada bing
Reaction score
Reactions
22,980 232 38
Alleybux

Yeah, no. Prince can be credited with many things but helping to “usher in the promotion of pδrn culture” is not one of them.

Those ancient Greeks and Romans were a horny bunch and their art depicted xes all day long.

pδrn in a form we can better identify with was already available in around the 1700s. The first photo images created in France changed the game just prior the Victorian era. Those uptight closet xes maniacs the Victorians went to town. Their obsession with morals and societal values created a thriving underground interest in pδrn, toys, etc.

The idea that Prince helped usher in the objectification of women: no, we know popular culture was awash with objectification long, long, before Prince arrived on the scene.

Prince’s love life wasn’t at all “embarrassing” as you say. He loved and was loved back. He did what he wanted, with whom he wanted and with their consent.

The women he spent time with wanted to be there and they had agency. Let’s not rob them of that because that really does objectify them. They knew their power. They weren’t puppets without opinions. There was a give and take.

Last edited:

BedtimeStories

Only Prince knows for sure.
Reaction score
Reactions
50,009 551 114
Alleybux
Josephine Baker had that tied down in the 30's. And why is everyone acting like dating means dating "exclusively"?

9e439658997feb4cf37c1d479701be67.jpg

cpublue

Poor lonely computer
Reaction score
Reactions
7,208 226 37
Alleybux
It’s such a double standard though.

If a woman has multiple men she’s called a hoe. If a man has multiple women, it’s ok because he’s just having fun.

Last edited:

Call me mom

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
15,518 451 434
Alleybux
It’s such a double standard though.

If a women has multiple men she’s called a hoe. If a man has multiple women, it’s ok because he’s just having fun.

Hell no, he's a hoe too! And all of them, women and men, are having fun, as they should be lol.

cpublue

Poor lonely computer
Reaction score
Reactions
7,208 226 37
Alleybux
Hell no, he's a hoe too! And all of them, women and men, are having fun, as they should be lol.

The problem is that the term ‘hoe’ is inherently derogatory towards women and carries a certain stigma and judgement.

When we call men ‘whores’ it’s almost always in a joking way - we don’t judge them for that behavior like we judge women for doing the same thing.

My point is, It’s ok for both men and women to have multiple partners and there shouldn’t be stigma or shame attached to it. As long as it’s consensual who am I to judge.

Last edited:

Smokeypurple

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
13,877 127 29
Alleybux
Yeah, no. Prince can be credited with many things but helping to “usher in the promotion of pδrn culture” is not one of them.

Those ancient Greeks and Romans were a horny bunch and their art depicted xes all day long.

pδrn in a form we can better identify with was already available in around the 1700s. The first photo images created in France changed the game just prior the Victorian era. Those uptight closet xes maniacs the Victorians went to town. Their obsession with morals and societal values created a thriving underground interest in pδrn, toys, etc.

The idea that Prince helped usher in the objectification of women: no, we know popular culture was awash with objectification long, long, before Prince arrived on the scene.

Prince’s love life wasn’t at all “embarrassing” as you say. He loved and was loved back. He did what he wanted, with whom he wanted and with their consent.

The women he spent time with wanted to be there and they had agency. Let’s not rob them of that because that really does objectify them. They knew their power. They weren’t puppets without opinions. There was a give and take.
A great post, thank you. And who can forget the Marquis de Sade.
Marquis de Sade in popular culture - Wikipedia

CUinHEAVEN

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
6,651 30 9
Alleybux

We.Still.Are. We took a break from making these though... Too horny to be artistically creative... Or tooo much time spent on the Internet. :D
sex_ancient_1.thumbnail.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Jacksplat

Unreleased Version
Reaction score
Reactions
6,312 438 719
Alleybux
Could be he was just huggin’ and kissin’ these ladies good night. None of them will fess up to that tho. They all want to be seen as the one he desired the most.

LightWork7

Fighting fan fiction one post at a time
Reaction score
Reactions
13,069 185 19
Alleybux
A couple things...
--He never talked of empowering women until 2014. Women said that about him and much later in life. In 2014, in an interview, it was the first time he ever said women should be in power.

Hmmm...I guess this song in 1995 (P Control) wasn't about empowerment. I guess I misunderstood it.

anynameyouwish

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
13,820 666 389
Alleybux
Your response is inside my quote. But yes, you got me. I forgot about Pussy Control. But even Pussy control is not about female leadership as much as it is about waiting to give it out and making your own bank. Okay, maybe it is female empowerment but this was not a topic he constantly broached or anything. Regardless, his relationship with women was complicated. he was neither a feminist nor a misogynist. He was just a dude obsessed with women in many ways who sometimes had his feminist and sometimes had his sexist leanings and could be very cynical about and controlling of women at times (if people want to call that misogyny, fine, but I personally find calling a man "a woman hater" is too simple and overused especially where Prince is concerned..) Overall, I think he liked women.