Quantcast

WB Plans to “Restructure” The DCEU after Disappointing “Justice League” Reception

that damn dame

out of the black
Reaction score
Reactions
90,550 2,850 761
Alleybux
Justice-League-Movie-Runtime-Shortest-Dceu-Movie.jpg

Warner Bros. is planning a shake-up and restructuring of its DC Films operation following the box office disappointment of “Justice League,” Variety has learned.

Jon Berg will be leaving his current job running the comic book’s film production division, according to several sources with knowledge of the studio’s plans. A search is underway for his replacement. Berg will instead become a production partner with Roy Lee, the producer of “The Lego Movie” and “It,” who has a deal on the lot.

“This is something that Jon approached me about six months ago, and he expressed his goal was to ultimately be a producer at the studio,” Warner Bros. Picture Group President Toby Emmerich said in a statement to Variety. “I first met Jon when, as a producer, he brought ‘Elf’ to New Line, which remains one of the best and most evergreen titles in the library. We’re thrilled that Jon is partnering with Roy and anticipate their company being a valuable source of movies for Warner Bros. and New Line.”

Warners is expected to name a new person to run point on DC’s films. Geoff Johns, who has partnered with Berg on much of the creative direction of the movies, is expected to continue serving as DC Entertainment’s chief creative officer. Johns, who reports to DC president Diane Nelson, works in areas such as television (and has written various episodes for DC-inspired shows), publishing, and consumer products, in addition to his contributions to the films. Going forward, his work on the films may evolve, and could be more advisory in nature.

These people also say that Emmerich is weighing the idea of further integrating DC’s film operations into the studio’s main movie arm. That would entail putting the divisions under the same roof rather than having DC remain in a separate building on the lot, sources say. Marvel, which is owned by Disney, does operate its comic book film division autonomously, but other studios, such as Fox and Sony, produce their superhero films under the studio’s banner.

The DC overhaul is expected to happen by January.

Warner Bros.’ corporate leaders at Time Warner support the moves and are said to be unhappy with the financial performance of “Justice League.” The film was intended to be DC’s answer to Marvel’s “Avengers,” uniting the likes of Superman, Wonder Woman, and Batman under the banner of a team of world-saving superheroes. With a budget reported to be as high as $300 million, it represents an expensive bet. After three weeks of release, it has managed to gross $570.3 million worldwide. In contrast, the first “Avengers” film racked up $1.5 billion. The studio did have a number of successes this year with “Wonder Woman,” “Dunkirk,” and “It,” which has helped offset the disappointment of “Justice League.”

Berg and Johns were intimately involved in the production. Berg essentially decamped for the film’s London set, and both men have full producer credits on the picture, which would likely not be the case on future movies. “Justice League” suffered from a difficult birth. An early version, directed by Zack Snyder, alarmed studio executives with its dark tone. That had been the knock on Snyder’s two previous DC films, “Man of Steel” and “Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice.” After his daughter committed suicide, Snyder eventually left the production before it underwent costly re-shoots. Joss Whedon, who had been brought on the punch up the dialogue, took over directing, but studio brass recognized that so much footage had been shot already that there were limits to what could be done to improve the picture. Studio executives realized early on that Snyder’s decision to have Steppenwolf, a god-like, all-CGI creation, as the principal antagonist was faulty. In fact, many reviews were particularly harsh about Steppenwolf, criticizing the character for being one-note and the product of unconvincing visual effects.

There are no immediate plans for Snyder to direct another DC movie, though he is producing or executive producing several, including “Wonder Woman 2” and “Aquaman.” Warner Bros. continues to have a production deal with Snyder, so it’s possible he could direct additional films for the studio. Time Warner is said to be frustrated that Warner Bros. leaders continue to bring the director back, especially after “Batman v Superman” was excoriated by critics even though it made money. They are also upset that each new DC film seems to be making less money than its predecessor. Only “Wonder Woman,” with its optimistic heroine, managed to be both a critical and commercial success.

While Ben Affleck is expected to appear as Batman in a standalone Flash movie, it is highly unlikely he will don the cape and cowl in Matt Reeves’ planned standalone Batman movie. The director is said to want to cast the role with fresh talent, according to sources.

Warner Bros. believes that “Justice League” succeeded in one importantly respect: it effectively introduced Flash (a quippy speedster played by Ezra Miller) and Aquaman (the king of Atlantis, portrayed by Jason Momoa). A solo “Aquaman” is due out in 2018 and Warners is still developing a standalone Flash adventure. Going forward, Warner Bros. is planning a sequel to “Wonder Woman” that’s believed to be set in the Cold War, and New Line has greenlit a “Shazam” feature.

Source: DC Shake-Up in the Works After ‘Justice League’ Stumbles (EXCLUSIVE)

sking24450

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
23,805 167 41
Alleybux
Looks like Geoff Johns role is being reduced. I thought he was going to be the Feige on the DCEU.

They should have fired Synder after the BvS crashed and burned. People give Kathleen Kennedy a lot of crap but she knows that damage to the brand is worse than losing money to change the director.

Inana

Bene Gesserit
Reaction score
Reactions
297,087 6,312 1,527
Alleybux
WB: Re-examine if the world needs a DCEU. And stop any and all stunt casting like Ben Affleck as Batman.

NatRod93

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
101,510 857 38
Alleybux
Eh. If they must do a Batman movie, do Terry McGinnis and have Batman Beyond. I'm starting to grow tired of Batman like I am Spider-Man lol but if they want to do BB, then I'll be here for it.

Otherwise...
Green Lantern (John Stewart) movie.
Hawkgirl (they can make her a POC).
The Flash (completely different cast but black Iris West remains to keep hoes bothered)
Martian Manhunter (keep his human form black too!)
Wonder Woman, Superman, and Batman can be the last ones they release before doing a Justice League movie the proper way.

Oh, and I would take the next five to seven years to plan this, and then start releasing them from the mid 2020s onward lol. That should be more than enough time for DC to get it all the way the fµck together.

Silkky

The coldest Silky ever
Reaction score
Reactions
295,924 4,523 3,564
Alleybux
Welp, hopefully they find their personality. I saw a video yesterday that made a good point about Snyder doing what the studio asked him to do and now they're lumping all the blame on him b/c he's not defending himself.

Either way, tiz for the best.

NatRod93

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
101,510 857 38
Alleybux
If they have her at all, they'd probably insist on making it a Hawkman movie even though she's the better character. :arrogant: (I read Geoff Johns' Hawkman pretty much for her.)

Which is a damn shame! Hawkgirl >>>>>> Hawkman any damn day! It's so annoying becaue the DC cartoons are fantastic. These dummies should've realized that the cartoons could've been blueprints for their movies.

I'd pay to see a properly cast Justice League based on the cartoon network show that used to come on! Chile, I'm about to go make a dream cast list right now!

LovelyRenz

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
16,255 381 230
Alleybux
They need to throw the whole universe away and start over....

I'm not a Marvel fan but the movies are at least cohesive. As time has gone by I've grown to enjoy them and look forward to them... With DC I could care less at this point. Im my opinion it's just a money grab by WB.... The first mistake was using the New 52 in my opinion but that's a whole other issue by itself. The movies just aren't good. I watched Justice League and found myself day dreaming what if this was a Nolan project.... could you imagine....

A Username

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
76,732 2,080 199
Alleybux
Which is a damn shame! Hawkgirl >>>>>> Hawkman any damn day! It's so annoying becaue the DC cartoons are fantastic. These dummies should've realized that the cartoons could've been blueprints for their movies.

I'd pay to see a properly cast Justice League based on the cartoon network show that used to come on! Chile, I'm about to go make a dream cast list right now!

I love Shayera from the cartoon, but there's another one from Earth 2 they could use.

tumblr_omi46kA0no1vg0a3bo1_500.png

Kendra Munoz-Saunders (Earth 2)

Also: I forgot that there's going to be a Hawkgirl on Krypton. (She's going to be time-traveling with Adam Strange to before Krypton's destruction to solve some mystery or something...)

booknlooks

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
178,055 5,722 2,288
Alleybux
They need to throw the whole universe away and start over....

I'm not a Marvel fan but the movies are at least cohesive. As time has gone by I've grown to enjoy them and look forward to them... With DC I could care less at this point. Im my opinion it's just a money grab by WB.... The first mistake was using the New 52 in my opinion but that's a whole other issue by itself. The movies just aren't good. I watched Justice League and found myself day dreaming what if this was a Nolan project.... could you imagine....
I thought I was one of the only ones who hate the New 52 and Geoff John's vision.

I really dont like his version of Barry Allen

HongKongho

ZhangZiyisho
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
155,662 6,270 6,563
Alleybux
For this they could have released the directors cut of Suicide Squad

#JaredLetolaughs

If I was Jared Leto I'd be tickled pink!!!

Look how the mighty have fallen

SenseiLenny

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
49,590 2,041 1,774
Alleybux
I’m sorry but I have to take a moment and chuckle about Ben Affleck bloated ass swinging around as Batman roflmaooooo ugh oh my gosh you could tell he was so over it in the costume scenes lmao ... then Superman just tosses his ass like the garbage he is . Oh my gosh okay I got my laughs out lmfao !!!!!!!!

Eddiezluv

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
16,632 449 78
Alleybux
The problem DC has that Marvel doesn't is studio interference.

Disney nor Paramount (prior) interfered with Fiege and his vision.

I hear WB execs like to meddle in the creative side. Not saying that Snyder is any good though. But even with the GL there were too many cooks in the kitchen. They should let the guy with the vision for the universe do his thing and stick to it.

sking24450

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
23,805 167 41
Alleybux
The problem DC has that Marvel doesn't is studio interference.

Disney nor Paramount (prior) interfered with Fiege and his vision.

I hear WB execs like to meddle in the creative side. Not saying that Snyder is any good though. But even with the GL there were too many cooks in the kitchen. They should let the guy with the vision for the universe do his thing and stick to it.

They tried to meddle but the person who was meddling lost the battle to Feige because Feige was producing and getting results. I think it wasn't until after Avengers 2 and maybe Guardians of the Galaxy 1 that Feige got full control of Marvel Studios. Before that Ike was causing a mess on production of the movies and being cheap as fµck. Like he didn't want RDJ in Civil War due to his price tag.....how the hell you have Civil War without Iron Man?!?!

Eddiezluv

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
16,632 449 78
Alleybux
They tried to meddle but the person who was meddling lost the battle to Feige because Feige was producing and getting results. I think it wasn't until after Avengers 2 and maybe Guardians of the Galaxy 1 that Feige got full control of Marvel Studios. Before that Ike was causing a mess on production of the movies and being cheap as fµck. Like he didn't want RDJ in Civil War due to his price tag.....how the hell you have Civil War without Iron Man?!?!

You're right. I forgot about Perlmutter and his antics. Fiege ultimately won so I really didn't count that.