Quantcast

We do not need movies to tell whites how scary it can be to black in America

flon25

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
51,638 1,930 267
Alleybux
I’m sick of racism being explained to them and why it’s bad. I was watching that black guy on cnn meet with the klan. I know it was tongue in cheek, but their are so many people that try to get them to see they are wrong. They know!

AgnesGooch

Cool With You
Reaction score
Reactions
640,872 19,022 12,528
Alleybux
As a Brit, I love Jim crow era shows/movies because they are educational. Also it is a horror series, which is very unique because racism is horror just as much as supernatural.

If you think you are being educated by movies on the jim crow era then you are mistaken. Most of these movies don't show the reality. They almost always focus on whites like every black person was sitting around sweating and being scared of white people 24/7 or something which was not the case. I never heard any older people talking about white people in some kind of scared way.

reggies_lady

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
33,346 1,802 1,938
Alleybux
I've talked on here about how I'm a writer. Last year when I was shopping around for agents I started receiving notes from this one agency. It was for a rom com script whose protagonist is a Black female. One of the FIRST notes that she came back to me with was inquiring about the lead's "family life and background." I saw where she was coming from right away. No, the character does not have some terrible horrible background. There are happy black stories and people out there. Hi, we exist.

There are tons of positive stories being written about our experience but those don't fit Hollywood's agenda. There are people who legit get off on our pain. That's why I get so frustrated with creatives like Tyler Perry. He has all of the resources in the world to give a platform to GOOD writers and creators without having to go through Hollywood, yet he squanders it on mediocracy.

This. These devils used to make Lynchings a family event. These movies are not for awareness. They wish slavery was still legal.

Last edited:

AgnesGooch

Cool With You
Reaction score
Reactions
640,872 19,022 12,528
Alleybux
Also what OP is saying explains why whenever there are photos of older black people smiling or living their life, people are like "wow I can't believe you can smile, imagine what you went through back then, and how hard life was" etc. like black people were supposed to be scared and downtrodden 24/7 or something. Most people were worried about the things we worry about now getting a man, making enough money to have a household and some niceties, gossip, your mom/dad intruding in your life in some way, someone taking your man etc.....

Sundaedinner

THE BARB BULLY
Reaction score
Reactions
411,684 12,998 17,040
Alleybux
Also what OP is saying explains why whenever there are photos of older black people smiling or living their life, people are like "wow I can't believe you can smile, imagine what you went through back then, and how hard life was" etc. like black people were supposed to be scared and downtrodden 24/7 or something. Most people were worried about the things we worry about now getting a man, making enough money to have a household and some niceties, gossip, your mom/dad intruding in your life in some way, someone taking your man etc.....

Yoi really are trying to downplay what our ancestors went through

They experienced real trauma. And while they were able to live through it please dont make it seem as if it was nothing.

We are affected by police shootings.

I'm sure they were affected by the KKK kidnappings, the violent segregation and simply not having a recourse against racial violence.

MsBIGChoc

Megan's Hennessey Bottle
Time Out
Reaction score
Reactions
275,547 33,084 27,393
Alleybux
Idk where this wave of ignore our past came from.

And its interesting because theres a lot of our history most people don't know about or have limited knowledge of.

The Watchmen and Lovecraft Country introduced a lot of people to the Black Wall Street massacre.

I think there's a hidden agenda being created by certain people to make sure our history is forgotten forever.
No is saying ignore the past but stop using it as profit and to educate the very people who have no problem killing us

Sundaedinner

THE BARB BULLY
Reaction score
Reactions
411,684 12,998 17,040
Alleybux
No is saying ignore the past but stop using it as profit and to educate the very people who have no problem killing us

Schindler's list was one of the most powerful movies about the holocaust.

It was also for profit.

Why are only Black people told to shut up about what happened to us?

MsBIGChoc

Megan's Hennessey Bottle
Time Out
Reaction score
Reactions
275,547 33,084 27,393
Alleybux
Schindler's list was one of the most powerful movies about the holocaust.

It was also for profit.

Why are only Black people told to shut up about what happened to us?
Schindler's list also didn't have monsters, ghosts, and goblins running around and the pure murder of Jewish babies being placed in furnaces.

AgnesGooch

Cool With You
Reaction score
Reactions
640,872 19,022 12,528
Alleybux
Yoi really are trying to downplay what our ancestors went through

They experienced real trauma. And while they were able to live through it please dont make it seem as if it was nothing.

We are affected by police shootings.

I'm sure they were affected by the KKK kidnappings, the violent segregation and simply not having a recourse against racial violence.

I'm not downplaying anything. I am saying what day to day life was like. Day to day people were not thinking about the KKK or segregation. Just like today there is extreme racism and extreme economic disparity but what are the topics people are talking about on LSA and filling their minds with? Youtube personalities, drama going on in your own life family/personal relationships, sports, movies, music etc. People were not living in an active state of trauma 24/7.

Sundaedinner

THE BARB BULLY
Reaction score
Reactions
411,684 12,998 17,040
Alleybux
I'm not downplaying anything. I am saying what day to day life was like. Day to day people were not thinking about the KKK or segregation. Just like today there is extreme racism and extreme economic disparity but what are the topics people are talking about on LSA and filling their minds with? Youtube personalities, drama going on in your own life family/personal relationships, sports, movies, music etc. People were not living in an active state of trauma 24/7.

Back the was way more extreme.

Their life was ruled by segregation so how didnt they think about it?

MsBIGChoc

Megan's Hennessey Bottle
Time Out
Reaction score
Reactions
275,547 33,084 27,393
Alleybux
There has been fictionalized holocaust movies as well.
Ok but did they have the brutalization of Jewish babies? They didn't even touch on the full horrors of Holocaust but when it's us they put babies in sheets, black people getting their fingers cut, eyes burnt out, and being called *********** throughout the film.

All the while black people unlike Jewish people are still facing traumatic racism.
Black women are more likely to die in during child birthing than anyone
Black people were the number 1 group dying of COVID
Still facing police brutality

Our plight is never taken seriously

Sundaedinner

THE BARB BULLY
Reaction score
Reactions
411,684 12,998 17,040
Alleybux
Think how yall feel. Idc

I just see this agenda for what it is.

Yall only focusing on white people.

The youth dont even know our history.

I'm over it.

It's like everything our ancestors fought against people are welcoming with open arms.

I guess that's why they're all too happy to ignore or minimize what happened to our ancestors.

Last edited:

Sundaedinner

THE BARB BULLY
Reaction score
Reactions
411,684 12,998 17,040
Alleybux
Ok but did they have the brutalization of Jewish babies? They didn't even touch on the full horrors of Holocaust but when it's us they put babies in sheets, black people getting their fingers cut, eyes burnt out, and being called *********** throughout the film.

All the while black people unlike Jewish people are still facing traumatic racism.

Cool. So ignore our history and focus on romcoms.

AgnesGooch

Cool With You
Reaction score
Reactions
640,872 19,022 12,528
Alleybux

I have seen some WWII and Holocaust movies and I have never seen any really go there with what REALLY happened during the Holocaust. Like it was way worse than any movie has portrayed. You are right they never get into the graphic violence like they always do with slave movies or any movies about black people, because they actually respect the humanity of Jewish people.

If you listen to Holocaust survivor stories you will hear the real deal. Them bayonetting babies, shooting toddlers to elderly people point blank in the head in the middle of the street because they wouldn't fit into the trains/buses. People urinating and defecating on each other because they were packed ontop of each other in bunk beds in camps. Camp guards raping kids, women, men everyone with their penises and objects etc.

I recently listened to a story of a Holocaust survivor who told a story about how when she and her mom were picked up to be taken to the concentration camp, the Germans took out everyone in their neighborhood, lined all of them up and just started shooting until they had shot about 1000 people because they only had room for so many to take and they underestimated how many people were left in their neighborhood. The rest of the people were packed like sardines in the trains for days. Anyway....

LoveSupreme

01/06/21 - Planet of the Apes Day -
Reaction score
Reactions
134,305 8,452 7,808
Alleybux
It’s like we’re all living in 1950 or 60.

We should have been doing better by this time, but instead went back to calling ourselves the white man’s dog (nword) which no other minority group stooped so low to do. Instead they were sending their lobbies to Washington to advocate on their behalf, while black people put on European-like wigs and weaves, and started kinging and queening celebrities.

We’ll never be shyt until we grow up and stop acting like children.

Hoe Cakes

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
20,869 526 576
Alleybux
We should encourage fleshed out well written stories about black life regardless of its intent/message. All stories should be welcomed. When we start to attack movies about black trauma as a whole it will discourage production companies from taking on stories that are painful BUT authentic.

I respect your message but we should be specific with our criticism. If it's about Them criticize "Them".

Everyone has a choice and it seems people would rather make choices just to complain about them later. There was a time when these stories weren't told.

And white people aren't the only ones that need to be educated..

Reaction score
Reactions
82,816 3,715 1,973
Alleybux
Yall been saying there's other ways to learn but that's obvious a lie with how ignorant people are of our history.

Whole massacres are forgotten because the stories are not told.

Jews make 50 million movies on the holocaust for a reason!

Most people didnt even know Harriet Tubman's role in the civil war.

Like just be honest. All the reasons yall list of not wanting these movies to be made center on white people.

This is about US and our histo And to make sure this sh!t is remembered forever.

But I guess your way makes sense. They teach kids in school that slaves were just workers and we stay silent on our stories because something something white people.

It makes total sense.

Yall been saying there's other ways to learn but that's obvious a lie with how ignorant people are of our history.

Whole massacres are forgotten because the stories are not told.

Jews make 50 million movies on the holocaust for a reason!

Most people didnt even know Harriet Tubman's role in the civil war.

Like just be honest. All the reasons yall list of not wanting these movies to be made center on white people.

This is about US and our history. And to make sure this sh!t is remembered forever.

But I guess your way makes sense. They teach kids in school that slaves were just workers and we stay silent on our stories because something something white people.

It makes total sense.
It's OBVIOUSLY A LIE that there are other ways to to tell our story? Huh? so did we just start telling our stories when movies started? If movies stop, are we now fµcked? What do you have against books? Or is that obvious as well?

Sundaedinner

THE BARB BULLY
Reaction score
Reactions
411,684 12,998 17,040
Alleybux
It's OBVIOUSLY A LIE that there are other ways to to tell our story? Huh? so did we just start telling our stories when movies started? If movies stop, are we now fµcked? What do you have against books? Or is that obvious as well?

This font says it better than me.

We should encourage fleshed out well written stories about black life regardless of its intent/message. All stories should be welcomed. When we start to attack movies about black trauma as a whole it will discourage production companies from taking on stories that are painful BUT authentic.

I respect your message but we should be specific with our criticism. If it's about Them criticize "Them".

Everyone has a choice and it seems people would rather make choices just to complain about them later. There was a time when these stories weren't told.

And white people aren't the only ones that need to be educated..

SREED

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
13,228 511 326
Alleybux
White people know, they don't care. They've been telling us for 100s of years what they think about us and they feel we should be treated. It's about time Black people started listening to them. If white people wanted to change, they would. It's as simple as that. With that said, it's important for movies that tell the truth about history get made.

As for Them, I'm happy a Black director and Black actors got work, but I have no desire to watch it. The whole premise doesn't even make any sense to me. Why would this Black woman want to move into a white neighborhood in the first place?
Omg yes I agree. I started watching the show about 20 minutes in I was like this don’t make no sense. Why would this entire black family want to move into a entire white neighborhood. And the deed literally said no negro blood can move in the house. That is when I turned the show off right then and there. For sheer dumbness and seeing exactly what racist path this show was gonna go and I was not tryna watch.

I am tired of seeing the same type of movies can we get more wankadas or something where black people are not the butt of racism and violence. We see it all day on the news. We don’t need more movies.

Unamblkpos

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
53,827 1,790 1,709
Alleybux
Idk where this wave of ignore our past came from.

And its interesting because theres a lot of our history most people don't know about or have limited knowledge of.

The Watchmen and Lovecraft Country introduced a lot of people to the Black Wall Street massacre.

I think there's a hidden agenda being created by certain people to make sure our history is forgotten forever.
I agree with the bolded.

I don’t think the issue is creating historical content.

The issue is the people behind the scenes creating these films and shows. Another issues is casting directors going out of their way to cast Black American to actual portray Black American historical and fiction characters.

If these shows and films were being created for Black Americans consumption and not as snuff pδrn for non-ADOS people, it wouldn’t be so problematic.

Im glad that more ethnic Black Americans are realizing this and calling it out.

SouthernNotCountry

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
223,633 5,511 931
Alleybux
Just want to pop back in here again. I see people mentioning the Holocaust and how there are many films about it. These are not comparable imo. The countries involved had to atone for this and even pay reparations. This has not happened in the US. People are not making laws to disenfranchise Jewish people or killing them with no regard like they are black people, that ish is CURRENT. You can't say anything remotely disrespectful about the Jewish community and not lose your job, they are not only seen as human, but they are respected. Movies about the treatment their ancestors (or survivors) experienced can be looked at as HISTORY. It happened and they have moved past it. That's not the case at all for black people, we are STILL being mistreated and ain't even received an apology for slavery, we are still fighting just for our humanity. Making films and series about these same topics over and over isnt looked at from the past, that trauma is CURRENT. So yea, we deserve more.