Quantcast

Weave-Free Appreciation Thread

AwareNTired

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
162,050 6,627 3,386
Alleybux
I think we need this. Not only to spotlight the beauty and freedom of wearing our own real hair, but also to spark a movement. With all of the anti-blackness being spewn about in Asian American communities lately, as well as the massive transfer of wealth that occurs in the weave and wig industry-- directly from the pockets of black women and into Asian communities-- it is imperative that we stop spending money in their shops. Now more than ever should we feel that sense of urgency to keep our dollars out of their pockets. The natural hair movement was started by a few natural-haired women on online message boards sharing pictures, tips, and tricks and it quickly evolved to much more. Let's kick off that energy and spark a weave-free movement.

I invite all to share pictures, transformations, tips, and tricks on living your life WEAVE and WIG FREE. This thread is for natural, relaxed, locked, AND heat-straightened women.

For the record, I am a WEAVE-FREE Type 4C natural. I had gotten braids for the first time in YEARS approx twice last summer while at wits end, but I am no longer doing that either. So definitely please add tips and tricks and coping mechanisms for when you are at wits end too.

----
DISCLAIMER: This thread is not to bash anyone who chooses to wear weaves or wigs. Rather it is meant to encourage, uplift, and inspire those of us who are interested in going wig and weave-free.
----

I'll start with posting some of the remarkable transformations by the Razor Chic based in Atlanta. She takes women who have badly damaged their hair through the use of weaves and wigs (so much for 'protective styling'!) and have given them precision cuts using their own real hair. The ladies who go to her have such extensive damage that you'd think they had no choice but to keep wearing wigs, but nope! A WEAVE-FREE new beginning is possible. I love going to her page because she does amazing work and the stories of the women who come to her are so inspirational. If these women can rock their real hair even with excessive balding and damage, then the rest of us have no excuse.

Last edited:

ChampagneToast

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
46,588 1,005 210
Alleybux
I feel like this thread is gonna be met with a lot of, "stop policing black women's hair" & "mind the business that pays you", type replies.

I get what you're trying to do but traditionally, talking about ditching weaves creates an uproar around here....and I say this as a long-time natural.

Ilykeggs

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
88,671 3,273 684
Alleybux
I haven't worn any type of fake hair (braids/twists) since summer 2018. I haven't worn a weave since high school.
I wear my real hair out 100% of the time.

But I don't really care what women do with their hair. I care to a certain extent because I want all Black women to love their hair and to want to wear it out like I do mine. No matter the texture. But I don't care enough to make a fuss about it and call people out all the time.

Last edited:

girl6_nyc

Looking for the hoochie daddies (where they at?)
Reaction score
Reactions
204,891 7,242 2,392
Alleybux
I don't think this will go well here.

I don't wear a weave but I do go back & forth between natural and relaxed. Right now I'm natural and will probably stay that way forever.

AwareNTired

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
162,050 6,627 3,386
Alleybux
I feel like this thread is gonna be met with a lot of, "stop policing black women's hair" & "mind the business that pays you", type replies.

I get what you're trying to do but traditionally, talking about ditching weaves creates an uproar around here....and I say this as a long-time natural.
I feel you, but we're going to work hard to keep that out of here. That's why I'm focusing on the positives. The beautiful transformations, pictures, stories, etc etc.

Seychelles

The Wicked Witch of Orlais
Reaction score
Reactions
34,606 942 104
Alleybux
You know this isn't gonna go over well. Every excuse to still give money to those that hate them - and no, it's not a necessity like a vehicle or a phone is.

XOXODeDe

Let Me See Them Teeth
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
77,648 3,246 2,124
Alleybux
I love it! I can't imagine wearing a weave (never wore wigs) again. I did for a a few years out of laziness -- and so happy I stopped.

XOXODeDe

Let Me See Them Teeth
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
77,648 3,246 2,124
Alleybux
I do have to say - how does one hair get that bad? My hair was still happy and healthy the times I did wear a weave. The pictures included in this thread are just so sad.

Wednesday A

Im Not Perky
Reaction score
Reactions
25,900 1,834 1,025
Alleybux
If everyone had hair like Naptural85, then the idea of wigs and weaves would not exist. If a wig makes someone feel more confident and comfortable then so be it. Everyone has their insecurities, not everything a black person does has to be a political statement.

I feel like this anti-weave agenda is very much anti-black. Nobody has this anti-makeup or anti-plastic surgery agenda because other races of women do it so its fine.

emptybubbles

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
16,684 461 239
Alleybux
tenorhh.gif

Before this all goes where I know it will go.

Also want to add that the vast majority of synthetic wigs and weaves are harmful to the environment to produce and dispose of and wigs and weaves that are made from human hair are very often unethically sourced. In case you needed any more reasons to ditch it.

I have family that wear wigs because of medical reasons/treatments and they cannot grow hair so I'm not totally against it but black women worldwide spend an embarrassing amount of money on these things (and we all know why), it often isn't worth the price, the look, the ease, the scalp/hair health, or the cost to the environment. If you absolutely must buy, buy from black businesses and support those businesses working on environmentally friendly and ethically sourced products.

AwareNTired

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
162,050 6,627 3,386
Alleybux
If everyone had hair like Naptural85, then the idea of wigs and weaves would not exist. If a wig makes someone feel more confident and comfortable then so be it. Everyone has their insecurities, not everything a black person does has to be a political statement.

I feel like this anti-weave agenda is very much anti-black. Nobody has this anti-makeup or anti-plastic surgery agenda because other races of women do it so its fine.
No. It's saying that even those of us with severe hair damage can still find ways to do without. there is no anti-blackness or competition here. Not bashing anyone who chooses to do so, but rather appreciating our real hair. Peace and blessings!

Nitpickr

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
69,923 2,361 2,103
Alleybux
how do you all wear your type 4(B/C) hair while also protecting it and keeping it strong? It grows the most for me when its cornrowed

Nitpickr

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
69,923 2,361 2,103
Alleybux

OP Needs to create a disclaimer that states this is not a place for people to talk about the preferences and justifications for weaves/wigs.

Wednesday A

Im Not Perky
Reaction score
Reactions
25,900 1,834 1,025
Alleybux
No. It's saying that even those of us with severe hair damage can still find ways to do without. there is no anti-blackness or competition here. Not bashing anyone who chooses to do so, but rather appreciating our real hair. Peace and blessings!

i mean I get it I guess, but I don’t see the big idea about black women wearing their natural hair.

AwareNTired

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
162,050 6,627 3,386
Alleybux
how do you all wear your type 4(B/C) hair while also protecting it and keeping it strong? It grows the most for me when its cornrowed
My hair does best in two-strand twists. I also rocked a roll, pin, and tuck style for a while. It was a hands off stlye as long as I kept it wrapped up at night.

Nitpickr

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
69,923 2,361 2,103
Alleybux
My hair does best in two-strand twists. I also rocked a roll, pin, and tuck style for a while. It was a hands off stlye as long as I kept it wrapped up at night.
I feel like I'm so conditioned to like big styles on my head. I feel like two-strand twists just make my head look big and flat. I just need it to grow a little bit more so i can just put it in a puff or just wear it like an afro.

What is your take on type 4 hair half wigs/extensions?

Luxheaux

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
38,332 2,114 903
Alleybux
In the last clip I don’t think the blonde was the best option. I know the stylist is just trying to make the client happy but the client needs to leave color alone for a while. However ,it came out really nice and if it makes her feel comfortable wearing her real hair kudos to her.

Doodidraws

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
4,235 421 237
Alleybux
If everyone had hair like Naptural85, then the idea of wigs and weaves would not exist.
This part ( because the rest was a trashy reach)

If my hair would MF grow longer, I would gladly ditch weaves/extensions. The whole issue is that my natural hair only looks good when blown out, and doing so causes my hair to break off and be dry. Leaving it alone in a weave is the only way my hair gets rest.

It's a cycle. The women with more acceptable hair texture and or longer length will have no issues with wearing their natural hair...which causes it to grow and stay long.

When you have to manipulate your hair in order for it to look presentable, your hair breaks and gets even shorter. I'm sorry, I'm not about to go anywhere looking like celie. It works for some naturals, but not with my round chubby ugly face.

Longer hair is the only thing I look good in and a weave will stay until my sh!t decides to stop ficking with me and get longer.

Evil Twin

Speed Demon
Reaction score
Reactions
9,441 228 23
Alleybux
How do you keep your hair straight in the summer, though? I'm about to straighten my hair for the first time in years and I don't want to walk outside and have those little yaki looking crimps appear in my hair. LOL I am so bored with my hair, I might go back to relaxers, get a bob haircut and call it a day.

emptybubbles

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
16,684 461 239
Alleybux

This part ( because the rest was a trashy reach)

If my hair would MF grow longer, I would gladly ditch weaves/extensions.
The whole issue is that my natural hair only looks good when blown out, and doing so causes my hair to break off and be dry. Leaving it alone in a weave is the only way my hair gets rest.

It's a cycle. The women with more acceptable hair texture and or longer length will have no issues with wearing their natural hair...which causes it to grow and stay long.

When you have to manipulate your hair in order for it to look presentable, your hair breaks and gets even shorter. I'm sorry, I'm not about to go anywhere looking like celie. It works for some naturals, but not with my round chubby ugly face.

Longer hair is the only thing I look good in and a weave will stay until my sh!t decides to stop ficking with me and get longer.
I don't want this turn into a back and forth about natural hair health, growth, and maintenance or reasons why you should/shouldn't go natural but I have to say something because y'all are acting like you just naturally have 'bad hair' because its not the 'right' texture or length and only the ones who have the right texture or length are championing this no weave/wigs thing and its somehow unfair to you. I understand it can be frustrating when you see things working for other people and you can't get it to work for you but alot of the people, including the person y'all cited as having 'acceptable'/nice natural hair, didn't start out that way and wigs/weaves didn't get them to this 'acceptable' level you're talking about.

Naptural85 started out like this
naptural85_091311_05w.jpg

before she got to this
naptural85-700.jpg

So if the argument is "If everyone had hair like Naptural85, then the idea of wigs and weaves would not exist" or "If my hair would MF grow longer, I would gladly ditch weaves/extensions" Her hair didn't even look like it does now some years ago, she wasn't born with mermaid hair or some sh!t. Your hair is not going to grow or look like your version of acceptable/nice natural hair if your reliance is on wigs and weaves and not learning your hair and how to keep it healthy and looking nice in its natural state.

Yes, it is more acceptable for certain women to go natural and yes not all of us will come out with the same end result because of genetics, but you both are saying some version of "if I had good hair I wouldn't have to wear wigs and weaves" when (1) your solution is probably part of what's keeping you from having the hair you want and (2) it may be time to change what your view of 'acceptable'/nice hair is which is what the OP was trying to get at. And for the second person I quoted, don't practice calling yourself ugly.

emptybubbles

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
16,684 461 239
Alleybux
If after you detangle it you keep it stretched when you're washing it/ sleeping (so in twists or plaits) you won't have to manipulate it too much/detangle it again, when it is time to style so that helps stave off breakage. I don't fully detangle my hair often.

I don't wash my hair everyday but it gets drenched everyday when I shower and then moisturized afterwards so it never really gets to the point where its dry/breakage prone. It also isn't a big deal for me to wet my hair everyday because it usually is in plaits when I do this and once it dries I can just unravel the plaits and style however I want with little manipulation.

So low manipulation and moisture. I hope that helps some.

2phat

Pro BW
Reaction score
Reactions
117,592 5,996 4,739
Alleybux
Same. My hair grows most in a protective style like box braids. There's always a clear difference in length (longer) after about 2 months.

I'm of the camp that believes...well....our hair type isn't meant to be just hanging out 24/7. It will start to break eventually. Clearly our hair type is the best for braiding and then you see how people in the motherland wore beautifully designed braids all the time so it is like this for a reason. I pretty much never wear my hair "out" of some kind of protective style for longer than 2 weeks if I can help it. Usually two strand twists. They're long enough to style a bit on its own which is good. The remaining 2 weeks before my hair appointment, I will rock my twist-out until it's parched then keep it in a high puff until the appointment.

I'm starting a new job and am way overdue for some braids so I'll be getting some next weekend or so! I hope braiding hair isn't included in the "burn the weaves" campaign lol

redbud tree

Ballin in Instabal, Turkey
Reaction score
Reactions
383,676 10,681 3,149
Alleybux

WOW! That stylist is a GENIUS.

I don't care if people wear wigs and weaves. But to be able to free those women from more potential follicle damage (with wigs and weaves), while making them look amazing - very talented.

These women will be exposed in a hard wind, though. They must use pins and such on windy days.

AwareNTired

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
162,050 6,627 3,386
Alleybux
How do you keep your hair straight in the summer, though? I'm about to straighten my hair for the first time in years and I don't want to walk outside and have those little yaki looking crimps appear in my hair. LOL I am so bored with my hair, I might go back to relaxers, get a bob haircut and call it a day.
I have the same question too! I have an appointment for the first time in years for a silk press. I remember in the past I could keep it straight if I rolled it with hair rollers at night (I would use the soft foam ones), but you'll have a curly do instead of straight. Time to whip out the heat protectant and flat-iron, maybe? But this is just a cute little change for me, trying to nurse it back to health after being neglectful for a while. I'll be getting flat twist styles on the regular if I end up liking this stylist.

Jane393

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
10,693 252 76
Alleybux
I think we need this. Not only to spotlight the beauty and freedom of wearing our own real hair, but also to spark a movement. With all of the anti-blackness being spewn about in Asian American communities lately, as well as the massive transfer of wealth that occurs in the weave and wig industry-- directly from the pockets of black women and into Asian communities-- it is imperative that we stop spending money in their shops. Now more than ever should we feel that sense of urgency to keep our dollars out of their pockets. The natural hair movement was started by a few natural-haired women on online message boards sharing pictures, tips, and tricks and it quickly evolved to much more. Let's kick off that energy and spark a weave-free movement.

I invite all to share pictures, transformations, tips, and tricks on living your life WEAVE and WIG FREE. This thread is for natural, relaxed, locked, AND heat-straightened women.

For the record, I am a WEAVE-FREE Type 4C natural. I had gotten braids for the first time in YEARS approx twice last summer while at wits end, but I am no longer doing that either. So definitely please add tips and tricks and coping mechanisms for when you are at wits end too.

----
DISCLAIMER: This thread is not to bash anyone who chooses to wear weaves or wigs. Rather it is meant to encourage, uplift, and inspire those of us who are interested in going wig and weave-free.
----

I'll start with posting some of the remarkable transformations by the Razor Chic based in Atlanta. She takes women who have badly damaged their hair through the use of weaves and wigs (so much for 'protective styling'!) and have given them precision cuts using their own real hair. The ladies who go to her have such extensive damage that you'd think they had no choice but to keep wearing wigs, but nope! A WEAVE-FREE new beginning is possible. I love going to her page because she does amazing work and the stories of the women who come to her are so inspirational. If these women can rock their real hair even with excessive balding and damage, then the rest of us have no excuse.

Thank you for posting this; it breaks my heart to see beautiful black queens with massive hair damage, and even worse, permanent alopaecia. Our hair is beautiful and versatile and amazing. Press it, relax it, wear it natural, it's fantastic and the yts all copy us (as always).

We are amazing; we invented tracks and weaves and the yts followed. Go ahead, wear weaves, but don't let your scalp get ruined, don't suffer hair loss. Appreciate your natural hair. We are inventive and our hair and beauty is perfect. Let your crown be your glory.

Benny Vain

Rookie
Reaction score
Reactions
213 4
Alleybux
I need this type of thread because I stopped wearing box braids with braiding hair back in 2019 because I noticed my hair was breaking excessively. I have the itch to go back because of the low maintenance of box braids. However without fake hair my hair is thriving, my hair is now almost at tail bone length, but I think that's because of COVID due to the fact that my hair stays in 4 big braids all the time. I just need low maintence hair style ideas that I can do with my own hair and it has to last for 3 weeks cause I be lazy LOL.

News Alley

The Lounge

General Alley

Top Bottom