Quantcast

Wedding Alley: Let's Talk About Food

WorkInProgress

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
440,959 8,505 2,734
Alleybux
If you're not married, what food would you like to have?

If you ARE married, what did you have on your menu? Also, if you would like to share any tips or tricks, feel free.

Preciousmom

Shalon, get down to the welfare!"
Reaction score
Reactions
45,196 1,737 919
Alleybux
I want soul food, Haitian food, Latin food, and vegan options. I want it to be buffet style

Usher52

MVP
Reaction score
Reactions
5,179 80 19
Alleybux
I want soul food, Haitian food, Latin food, and vegan options. I want it to be buffet style

I like the idea of buffet style. However buffets can be hit or miss when it comes the actual taste. I find the more food is offered, the less good it actually is.

Also, my parents friends would be doing the most around the food. I’ve been to weddings where the servers (friends) packed their 18 plates before the reception even started.

MistressNae

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
366,749 7,937 4,305
Alleybux
I keep going back and forth between buffet or not since I want more options. Still leaning towards sit down.

I’ll probably do a big cocktail hour focused on Jamaican food and whatever home boy is if he’s not Jamaican. Do a lot of dancing and then dinner to get some more space for them.

Sit down Jamaican and whatever he is inspired dinner, probably 3 options and a veg option.

Might do a late night jerk but depends on how much food, don’t want to waste too much. Might do a smaller portion dinner to make up for it.

A dessert bar with customized to go containers for those who didn’t save room.

A big chunk of the budget will be for food and drinks.

Last edited:

Mito

Over it ~ DNI
SUPER MODERATOR
Solutions
Reaction score
Reactions
106,843 713 120
Alleybux
I would like a grazing table to serve as appetizers
title-card.jpg

And a table with various sliders

For the Main Course:

A choice between steak or chicken dinner

And dessert:

Wedding cake (duh)
Ice Cream Bar

Not sure if I really want an open bar. Maybe a semi-open bar.

MimiLuvs...

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
184,466 4,633 535
Alleybux
I'm single, but if I was a bride-to-be, then I would choose to have a "pot-luck" style reception dinner ever since I would have a very small wedding ceremony.

As tempting as it sounds, I would refrain from having a seafood boil. (a cousin had one for her wedding and then whined about staining her wedding dress later on) I would be open to anything else.

Navy_Esq

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
8,914 197 217
Alleybux
When it dwindles down to it, most upscale venues require you to utilize their menu and their chef. So depending on the package you purchase, the standard meal is a choice between beef, chicken, salmon, etc. I had a chicken option, vegetarian option, and salmon option. You can always pay extra for food trucks etc nd that's what we did we had a "late-night snack for guests. Everyone loved it!

No buffets...no gawd! Its cheaper but nothing says backyard heaux down like a buffet.

YesTee

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
16,501 216 106
Alleybux
I would like it to be very formal where everyone can choose from four different dishes (meat, vegan, fish, fulfilling salad - being mindful of dietary restrictions).
I can appreciate a classy wedding like this. I agree with this dining style.

Kanethia

Cornrow Clique
Reaction score
Reactions
421,966 13,097 1,901
Alleybux
Since I want a small wedding I want mines to be buffet style. I want soul food and Caribbean food. Dessert will have to-go options.

IndigoKnows

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
165,293 8,876 8,861
Alleybux
I can appreciate a classy wedding like this. I agree with this dining style.
I just feel like buffet style can get very messy and I want a semi-classy wedding. Meaning I still want to play my favorite jams so everyone can dance on the dancefloor, lol.

WonderFilledA

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
3,509 37 4
Alleybux
I want soul food/ his cultures food rather it be african, latin, asian. I also want a buffet. I know quality can be iffy but I'd be willing to pay the most for my food for my wedding to make sure it's good.

I want a venetian hour too. I love desert buffets and carts.

MERVEILLEUSE

Encyclopedia Dramatica
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
713,597 11,262 4,454
Alleybux
Cocktail weenies and ham and cheese roll ups, assorted crackers, hummus of a random flavor, and fruit salad with lots of really hard honeydew and cantaloupe but only like 3 raspberries and 10 grapes in the whole bowl. Pure class all the way.

veenyc

MVP
Reaction score
Reactions
6,278 182 81
Alleybux
salmon, risotto, grilled vegetables like zucchini and carrots. im Caribbean and dont want a heavy food spread like usual functions.

Reaction score
Reactions
10,855 124 13
Alleybux
I was never interested in spending all that money on a wedding and party (I wanted to put all that money towards a long term purchase for us) however if I were to every throw a traditional wedding I always thought it would be cool to have a nice little outdoor venue with a covered seating area and like 6 different food trucks with all different varieties of food so everyone can get what they want and it would be made to order so its all hot and fresh!
I really hate cold dry buffet food at a wedding.

Chonne

Here for the comments
Reaction score
Reactions
61,602 871 33
Alleybux
I keep going back and forth between buffet or not since I want more options. Still leaning towards sit down.

I’ll probably do a big cocktail hour focused on Jamaican food and whatever home boy is if he’s not Jamaican. Do a lot of dancing and then dinner to get some more space for them.

Sit down Jamaican and whatever he is inspired dinner, probably 3 options and a veg option.

Might do a late night jerk but depends on how much food, don’t want to waste too much. Might do a smaller portion dinner to make up for it.

This is what my aunt did as well. For the cocktail hour, we had Jamaican and Dominican food. It was a lot of food to hold them over until dinner. Dinner portion was smaller Jamaican inspired dishes. With dessert American cake and rum cake to go.

PeaOfSweetness

Takin over for the ‘99 and ‘00s
Reaction score
Reactions
93,668 1,565 587
Alleybux
I’m not planning on having a wedding but if I did I’d want different stations of different cuisines from around the world. Would definitely have a Soul Food and Caribbean (Jamaican, Haitian, and Belizean) station.

Ferocious

La Diabla
Reaction score
Reactions
43,712 1,359 238
Alleybux
I dream of having a small and lowkey wedding on a beach at a resort. I’d like to do an assortment of dishes from different cultures Asian, American, European, African, & Carribean.

I want a sushi chef and Korean bbq, but also soul food( greens, Mac and cheese, etc), and French pastries..... bbq ribs... jerk chicken....raw bar.

definitely crepes, macarons, and banana pudding for desert as those are my favorite.

I want to do a bbq for my rehearsal dinner so I can streamline the wedding day.

I want it to be casual so fun cocktail hour and then a family style dinner.

Chonne

Here for the comments
Reaction score
Reactions
61,602 871 33
Alleybux
I'm in between buffet style or a choice between 4 options ( representing his and my culture). Cocktail hour would have enough food to keep guests good until later.

MistressNae

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
366,749 7,937 4,305
Alleybux
Cocktail weenies and ham and cheese roll ups, assorted crackers, hummus of a random flavor, and fruit salad with lots of really hard honeydew and cantaloupe but only like 3 raspberries and 10 grapes in the whole bowl. Pure class all the way.
I’d fight you and blast your wedding on SM. :arrogant

Couldn’t even include any strawberries.

Reaction score
Reactions
12,744 291 279
Alleybux
For my wedding we had it at a hotel in DC and as a result there wasn't really an option to have Haitian food as part of the menu which I would have wanted but I did have Kremas as wedding favor! My advice is if you go for a city upscale/hotel venue don't expect as much food as you would get at a less ritzy catering hall without an insane premium. The food is higher quality though. Some decisions you make for a wedding will have to balance out what you want vs. what would be more enjoyable to guests. Though I was able to strike a decent balance.

For Cocktail Hour:

-antipasto display

-passed hors d'ouevres of:

Petite Beef Tenderloin Wellington, Bacon Wrapped New England Sea Scallops, Robiola Cheese & Black Truffle Brioche Grilled Cheese, Arab Spiced Chicken Lollipop, Shrimp Tempura, Prime Beef Strip Loin

Carving stations with bread, Salmon and leeks, Smoked Ham, scalloped potatoes, potato au gratin

For Dinner the guests had a salad and had to pre-select their plated meal choice of salmon, filet mignon, or vegetarian lasagna.

And then because I wanted to ensure that guests were okay. I got a late night snack add on which was a table of mini desserts, milkshakes, sliders, and mini pizzas.

And of course a wedding cake and an open bar.

MoneyOverLove

The Marathon Continues..
Reaction score
Reactions
537,893 10,734 5,860
Alleybux
We are having buffet style. Get up and get your own food unless you are apart of the wedding party or elders.
I want two different styles of food. I go between traditional party food (think baby shower) and Caribbean food so that will probably be my two choices. Can't go wrong. I want a few salad options as well.
I thought about the whole fish and beef options but I am don't eat red meat and I want to avoid eating seafood on my wedding day.

sankofaa__

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
207,147 2,991 2,018
Alleybux
I've seen too many African weddings where the aunties have 6 stuffed to-go containers after a mad dash to the buffet so that's a no.

I want a whole lot tbh haha. I want traditional African food: jollof & chicken, meatpie, etc. I also want a beef/chicken/fish/veggie option and have something cute like fried chicken sandwiches or tacos or something via food truck outside. The cake definitely has to be vanilla buttercreme.

*whispers* I'm not too sure about having alcohol at my wedding. I don't want anybody getting too rowdy but I have the feeling that I won't have much of a choice tbh.

easybreezy

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
60,672 2,159 1,655
Alleybux
I like the idea of buffet style. However buffets can be hit or miss when it comes the actual taste. I find the more food is offered, the less good it actually is.

Also, my parents friends would be doing the most around the food. I’ve been to weddings where the servers (friends) packed their 18 plates before the reception even started.
LMBO...you must be Caribbean! Some of us have no shame!

Sapfire101

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
27,424 1,103 109
Alleybux
Soul food (menu)
I want fried chicken (no thighs) and I know my family would be mad. I would also have a fish/veggie option for those with dietary needs.

Teigh

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
54,493 909 240
Alleybux
I would only be willing to cater from my favorite restaurant or have a high-end pizza bar.

The last wedding I went to had horrible food and it cost 10k.

I would only use a venue that had a BYOF option.

PartyIsOver

Under The Chemtrails Over The Country Club
Reaction score
Reactions
117,256 5,965 738
Alleybux
Y’all know I’m extra when it comes to weddings. I literally have planned three different types of weddings in my head in a matter of months. First destination wedding in Italy at Villa Cimbrone then Biltmore Estates Castle in Asheville NC, now Flagler Museum in Palm Beach.

Appetizers ( I have a lot of seafood knowing my man is allergic to shellfish smh)
Spinach & Artichoke Open Wontons
Crab Rangoon mini tacos
Bruschetta with Fresh Tomatoes
Mac and 5 Cheese mini bowls with the crust being some type of either fried batter holding the Mac and cheese in . Idk I see the vision. Or a fried Chicken Wing to sit on top.
Chicken Quesadilla
Fruit Skewers
Mini Lobster Rolls
Meatballs with a twist
Guacamole

Sitting down First Course ( still appetizer)
Salads
Caribbean Salad imitation of chili’s Caribbean salad
Caesar Salad
Strawberry and Cinnamon Sugar Pecan salad with Mustard or Balsamic or Rasberry Vinaigrette
Soups
Zuppa Toscana
Shrimp and Lobster Chowder

Entree
Stuffed Roasted Chicken ( Like Ruth Chris)

Herb Crusted Salmon and Seared Scallops in Pan Butter

Bone In Ribeye ( Special Order )

Guest Can Choose their sides
Truffle Mac and Cheese
Broccoli
Asparagus
Seasoned Rice
Garlic and Aged White Cheddar Mashed
Sweet Potato Mash

Dessert
Food Trucks offering
Beignets
Ice cream Sundaes

Open Bar
Specialty Drinks
Debating if I want kids there besides the flower girls and ring bearer. Which might end up being my dogs. Shrugs

Last edited:

WorkInProgress

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
440,959 8,505 2,734
Alleybux
Y’all know I’m extra when it comes to weddings. I literally have planned three different types of weddings in my head in a matter of months. First destination wedding in Italy at Villa Cimbrone then Biltmore Estates Castle in Asheville NC, now Flagler Museum in Palm Beach.

Appetizers ( I have a lot of seafood knowing my man is allergic to shellfish smh)
Spinach & Artichoke Open Wontons
Crab Rangoon mini tacos
Bruschetta with Fresh Tomatoes
Mac and 5 Cheese mini bowls with the crust being some type of either fried batter holding the Mac and cheese in . Idk I see the vision. Or a fried Chicken Wing to sit on top.
Chicken Quesadilla
Fruit Skewers
Mini Lobster Rolls
Meatballs with a twist
Guacamole

Sitting down First Course ( still appetizer)
Salads
Caribbean Salad imitation of chili’s Caribbean salad
Caesar Salad
Strawberry and Cinnamon Sugar Pecan salad with Mustard or Balsamic or Rasberry Vinaigrette
Soups
Zuppa Toscana
Shrimp and Lobster Chowder

Entree
Stuffed Roasted Chicken ( Like Ruth Chris)

Herb Crusted Salmom and Seared Scallops with Pan Butter

Bone In Ribeye ( Special Order )

Guest Can Choose their sides
Truffle Mac and Cheese
Broccoli
Asparagus
Seasoned Rice
Garlic and Aged White Cheddar Mashed
Sweet Potato Mash

Dessert
Food Trucks offering
Beignets
Ice cream Sundaes

Open Bar
Specialty Drinks
Debating if I want kids there besides the flower girls and ring bearer. Which might end up being my dogs. Shrugs
I love all of this. We have similar taste.

Navy_Esq

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
8,914 197 217
Alleybux
BTW, the reason I don't like the buffet option is that you shouldn't have guests standing in line for food unless you are providing a late-night meal (i.e food trucks, etc). It is tacky and inconsiderate to have people stand in long-ass lines for a piece of chicken and some salad. No ma'am...and please ensure you have an open bar!

PartyIsOver

Reaction score
Reactions
117,256 5,965 738
Alleybux

Every great wedding planner said the food should be your main budget. Everyone remembers the food. I hope Dure Events or Jes Gordon is my wedding planners. Who ever agrees lol.
DURE EVENTS

JES GORDON

PartyIsOver

Reaction score
Reactions
117,256 5,965 738
Alleybux
BTW, the reason I don't like the buffet option is that you shouldn't have guests standing in line for food unless you are providing a late-night meal (i.e food trucks, etc). It is tacky and inconsiderate to have people stand in long-ass lines for a piece of chicken and some salad. No ma'am...and please ensure you have an open bar!
My thoughts exactly from experience everyone doesn’t get fed well. Because of greedy people.

NarcoticVenus

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
29,670 734 410
Alleybux

I'm Jamaican and back when my sister got married, she had all cocktails and finger foods. Iono about now, but at that time cocktail only weddings were not popular.

The grumbling that ensued... "A wha' kinda weddin' dis? Dem only have pure finga food. How dem fi a give people cocktail patty ah weddin'?

Navy_Esq

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
8,914 197 217
Alleybux
My thoughts exactly from experience everyone doesn’t get fed well. Because of greedy people.

One of my best friends had a buffet wedding...we were one of the last tables to get our plate and I was a bridesmaid. She didn't have designated seating for the wedding party, she just asked we "sit towards the front" AND she had fake flowers. No ma'am!