Weight Training Advice For A Newbie

SoulfullyMe

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
13,329 462 696
Alleybux
Hey yall,

I have always wanted to try weight training but I never really got around to it. I always just ended up on a treadmill or any cardio machine and that was it. I think I'm just intimidated and I don't really know where to begin. I really want to start taking my fitness to the next level, I have lost weight with cardio and my body does look good. I have a natural big butt with natural curves and I just know that If I start weight training it's going to take my body to the next level so I am ready to stop being intimidated lol

But where do I begin?
What machines do I use?
How do I make sure I am doing the exercises in the correct form?
How many times a week?
what to eat?
I don't have a workout buddy, do I need one to help me spot during weight training?

Any advice is appreciated :)

Solutions
Reaction score
Reactions
8,939 390 794
Alleybux
You begin with doing your own research. This type of questions get regularly asked on all kinds of forums and I can’t for the life of me understand why people don’t just Google the answers to their questions. You have the privilege that today, weight training for women has become extremely mainstream, which resulted in less misinformation, more articles, more information outthere.

Most of the questions you asked highly depends on your goals. We can’t tell you how many times a week you should strength-train, we are not you. We can

What machines you use depends on what the machine is for and what muscle you are trying to train. Using machines isn’t mandatory.

You don’t need a workout buddy, most people don’t have one. You can always ask someone at your gym to spot you.

You make sure you have the right form bu starting off with body weight (or very light weight) and you ask for input from someone knowledgeable. You have tons of fitness groups or forums in which you can share your videos.

All this to say: do your own research. Your questions are too vague and highly dependent on YOU.
Some fonts are probably going to run in here with horrible advice too. Avoid taking advice from anyone without credentials or some serious background. Goodluck.

Crowns

Rookie
Reaction score
Reactions
210 11 100
Alleybux
YouTube has tons of videos you can watch about weight training if you have a Facebook page you can join fitness groups with that type of information. I follow a lot of trainers that I exercise to on YouTube and I am a member of Facebook fitness groups. You will get a lot of information on weight training. Blessings

SoulfullyMe

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
13,329 462 696
Alleybux
YouTube has tons of videos you can watch about weight training if you have a Facebook page you can join fitness groups with that type of information. I follow a lot of trainers that I exercise to on YouTube and I am a member of Facebook fitness groups. You will get a lot of information on weight training. Blessings
Thank you for the advice, I'll check out the FB groups. If you don't mind me asking, what trainers do you watch on youtube?

Crowns

Rookie
Reaction score
Reactions
210 11 100
Alleybux
Thank you for the advice, I'll check out the FB groups. If you don't mind me asking, what trainers do you watch on youtube?
Keaira Lashae
lita Lewis
Jeanette Jenkins
Venus Moore
Massy arias
Deja fit
Afrifitness
These are all of my favorite trainers to exercise to and they all are black trainers I lost 80 pounds thanks to their videos. I hope this helps Blessings

Roop Ki Rani

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
16,758 1,163 1,800
Alleybux
Hey yall,

I have always wanted to try weight training but I never really got around to it. I always just ended up on a treadmill or any cardio machine and that was it. I think I'm just intimidated and I don't really know where to begin. I really want to start taking my fitness to the next level, I have lost weight with cardio and my body does look good. I have a natural big butt with natural curves and I just know that If I start weight training it's going to take my body to the next level so I am ready to stop being intimidated lol

But where do I begin?
What machines do I use?
How do I make sure I am doing the exercises in the correct form?
How many times a week?
what to eat?
I don't have a workout buddy, do I need one to help me spot during weight training?

Any advice is appreciated :)

There are so many free weight training apps on App store.
I downloaded one which gives me structure for my workout so I know when and what I'm doing and it also has videos demonstrating how to do all the moves.
If also allows you to update and track your progress.
I'm currently doing 2 leg days and 2 upper body days a week plus cardio to lose some weight.
I started this plan in nov/Dec but stopped due to gyms closing again bc of lockdown. After 4 weeks I did notice differences all over my body.

SoulfullyMe

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
13,329 462 696
Alleybux
Keaira Lashae
lita Lewis
Jeanette Jenkins
Venus Moore
Massy arias
Deja fit
Afrifitness
These are all of my favorite trainers to exercise to and they all are black trainers I lost 80 pounds thanks to their videos. I hope this helps Blessings
I'll be checking them out, thank you so much sis!

SoulfullyMe

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
13,329 462 696
Alleybux
There are so many free weight training apps on App store.
I downloaded one which gives me structure for my workout so I know when and what I'm doing and it also has videos demonstrating how to do all the moves.
If also allows you to update and track your progress.
I'm currently doing 2 leg days and 2 upper body days a week plus cardio to lose some weight.
I started this plan in nov/Dec but stopped due to gyms closing again bc of lockdown. After 4 weeks I did notice differences all over my body.
Oh yea I have an app for cardio, I didn't know they have one specifically for weight training.
Thx for letting me know!

News Alley

Top Bottom