Quantcast

Wellness Journeys documented by Black Women

LJJJJJJ

Tenoch Huerta & Kang's FIRST & ONLY WIFE
Reaction score
Reactions
35,609 881 296
Alleybux
This thread is an offshoot of a thread created Jay Johnson, 'Black Women Are Worthy': A Love Letter to Black Women on Realizing Their True Worth. Go check it out!

I was inspired to create a thread for LSA to post black women they follow on any social media ( i.e. facebook, VSCO, instagram, youtube, etc.) who document their wellness journey. Their wellness journey could include healing from xesual assault, burn out, mental illness, postpartum symptoms, infertility and/or uterine conditions, etc. Stoicism, mindfulness, holistic wellness are things I want all women of the diaspora and elsewhere to journey upon in whichever way they please.

Please feel free to provide links and names. If you want to... briefly detail their wellness journey and what tools they use. Also, feel free to detail your personal wellness journey and ask questions!

@PurpleLette @susancarol @Soca Priestess @Casmira @sweetepie842 @WokeandWealthy @dfgreen @aquariusrising @InBloom @EVIL STEPMUM @Madox @CubanBuggzBunny @Majestic Queen

PoeticPisces

Too young for MySpace, too old for Tik Tok
Reaction score
Reactions
95,295 2,654 869
Alleybux
I love stoicism, so I'd be interested in seeing this. I also used to have depression, it took a change of environment, self-reflection and Marie Kondo's words "Does this spark joy?” If it does, keep it. If not, dispose of it". This includes friends, jobs etc. I'm much more at peace now. Sometimes we're reacting to things we don't even know are affecting us, that's why therapy helped a lot.

I realized it's not good to ignore things because it'll just get worse, and it's ok to have negative feelings sometimes, and if you keep pushing them down all you'll be left with is those negative feelings that lead into anxiety and depression but it's been so long you've forgotten the cause.

LJJJJJJ

Reaction score
Reactions
35,609 881 296
Alleybux
I would like to add it is okay to link women who may not explicitly state they are on a wellness journey. However, if it fits the aesthetic and you feel it would be a positive addition to this thread, please add.

Here's some of the women I follow:

My first introduction into Black Women Wellness

1. Black Girl In Om

I think I originally ran across them on Apple podcast. Founded by Lauren Ash, it is an organization creating space for black women. Offers meditations, podcasts discussing other POC wellness, and hosting wellness events to aid black women in connecting with their wellbeing.

BGIO Podcast

Black Girl in Om website

2. Brown girl bloom

Recently discovered. BGB creates a space for black and aboriginal women in Australia. I'll do a post on the founder as well, her instagram handle is brownbelleabroad. Some of her youtube content features BGB content.

3. blackfemaletherapists

On instagram.

Focuses on promoting therapists who are WOC and provides content on mental health.

I will posts some more as the week goes by! Don't forget to please add some suggestions of your own so we can all partake in the wellness. :blush:

Last edited:

LJJJJJJ

Reaction score
Reactions
35,609 881 296
Alleybux
I love stoicism, so I'd be interested in seeing this. I also used to have depression, it took a change of environment, self-reflection and Marie Kondo's words "Does this spark joy?” If it does, keep it. If not, dispose of it". This includes friends, jobs etc. I'm much more at peace now. Sometimes we're reacting to things we don't even know are affecting us, that's why therapy helped a lot.

I realized it's not good to ignore things because it'll just get worse, and it's ok to have negative feelings sometimes, and if you keep pushing them down all you'll be left with is those negative feelings that lead into anxiety and depression but it's been so long you've forgotten the cause.
Thank you for responding in the thread!

Gurrl, when I say I relate to your whole post to the last period. Ugggh! The last few years I have been put in situations where environment and ignoring [feelings, emotions] has played a huge part in my mental health.

I never thought to apply MK words "Does this spark joy? If it does, keep it. If not, dispose of it." to other aspects of life other than material organization. Thanks for sharing that!

Last edited:

Bjxxxx

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
60,859 1,064 802
Alleybux
Glad to see the positivity, although I am more of a get to the point person.

I am listening to the first woman, and it took a couple of minutes to get started, I wll say, come through amazing skin.

They are kind of going on a tangent now, but I love positive influences.

EVIL STEPMUM

I want to shag Marc Rebillet.
Reaction score
Reactions
268,750 6,409 1,416
Alleybux
Thank you very much for the mention and for making this thread. I'm not following any as I don't really use ig, but I'm here to familiarise myself with some great bw doing great work. Lord knows I need the inspiration.

LJJJJJJ

Reaction score
Reactions
35,609 881 296
Alleybux
Thank you very much for the mention and for making this thread. I'm not following any as I don't really use ig, but I'm here to familiarise myself with some great bw doing great work. Lord knows I need the inspiration.
No problem. I didn't think of the fact not everybody is using social media.

For sure, when I add media I will remember to add posts with visible affirmations and/or self work text. Also, aesthetic images as well.

Soca Priestess

High Ranking Socatologist
Solutions
Reaction score
Reactions
265,467 2,958 645
Alleybux
I'm here for this thread. One page I follow is Black Women Do Workout; they're on FB and IG. I just love reading and seeing all of these ladies' transformations. It's so inspiring.

So true and it's honestly something I struggle with. When I'm feeling a way, I tend to bury because usually when I try to say something, I get ignored. It's the main reason why I started journaling.

LJJJJJJ

Reaction score
Reactions
35,609 881 296
Alleybux
I'm here for this thread. One page I follow is Black Women Do Workout; they're on FB and IG. I just love reading and seeing all of these ladies' transformations. It's so inspiring.

So true and it's honestly something I struggle with. When I'm feeling a way, I tend to bury because usually when I try to say something, I get ignored. It's the main reason why I started journaling.
Thank you! I will definitely check Black Women Do Workout.

How is journaling working out for you? I like it but I definitely am not consistent. I tend to only use it when all my emotions have piled up over a period of time, on the verge of snapping. I don't think that is a good practice personally because I don't want to read my journal down the line only to see the very highs/lows of my emotions. Also, I want to encourage recording and recognizing stable emotions and feelings for myself.

EchoLake

shimmering
Reaction score
Reactions
174,975 4,295 2,758
Alleybux
Basically the only reason I use instagram is to follow wellness accounts by black women. Here's a few I love:
*Sisters of Yoga - Yoga / Wellness / Exercise
*Nedra Tawwab - Self-help / Setting Boundaries / Mental Health
*Dr. Ayana Elizabeth Johnson - Environmental Studies / Climate Education

All of these pages center black women in a conversation about wellness and betterment.

Casmira

I’m Bold, Beautiful and Free
Reaction score
Reactions
114,185 3,125 1,674
Alleybux
Thanks for the shout out.

I follow girltrek. GirlTrek.

It was started by two BW from Cali, Morgan and Vanessa.

There are groups all over the US. It isn’t strictly about walking, however, it’s about healing our bodies, our minds, and our neighborhoods. I do think that it mutes the stereotype that BW aren't active.

I plan to go to one of their retreats next year.

EchoLake

shimmering
Reaction score
Reactions
174,975 4,295 2,758
Alleybux
Pinterest is a great place to start if you don't want to be active on the larger social media networks.

CC3

The Original Exotical
Reaction score
Reactions
148,614 2,834 2,664
Alleybux
Good thread! I have nothing to offer but having my own personal wellness journey has been pressing hard on my mind.

I don’t do social media, but I’m willing to check out some of ladies you all posted.

Soca Priestess

High Ranking Socatologist
Solutions
Reaction score
Reactions
265,467 2,958 645
Alleybux
Thank you! I will definitely check Black Women Do Workout.

How is journaling working out for you? I like it but I definitely am not consistent. I tend to only use it when all my emotions have piled up over a period of time, on the verge of snapping. I don't think that is a good practice personally because I don't want to read my journal down the line only to see the very highs/lows of my emotions. Also, I want to encourage recording and recognizing stable emotions and feelings for myself.

Same. I tend to write when I have to get something off my chest or something significant happened. I like it overall though. At least, I get my feelings out instead of letting it fester.

LJJJJJJ

Reaction score
Reactions
35,609 881 296
Alleybux
Neyon Tree

neyon_tree instagram

Aesthetic pictures with wise captions. Promotes movement of body, expressing gratitude for the body as is, and a lot of other stuff. Her instagram does include nudity, of course I will only be posting with LSA guidelines.

Also, might be able to catch some tea concoctions and other remedies for soothing inflammation and anxiety.