Quantcast

Welp: The US CDC says it's time to prep now

Anyone read “Parable of the Sower” by Octavia Butler?

• Read it and already know how to survive an epidemic.

Votes: 68 30.6%
  • Going to read this as soon as I can.

Votes: 154 69.4%

• Total voters

Fierce39

Plan Your Preferred Future
Reaction score
Reactions
28,765 713 364
Alleybux
doing inventory and going to fill in my gaps this weekend! hope everyone is prepping!
Big Prepping Thread

EducatedWiseOne

I really just be chillin though...
Reaction score
Reactions
88,499 3,159 2,724
Alleybux
If you survived the crackhead epidemic in the 80's & 90's, then you'll be okay.

Big Prepping Thread

Nicm15

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
47,630 1,078 283
Alleybux
I just re-upped on medicine and cleaning supplies especially Lysol. I believe we get the chemical to make it from China. It seems like whatever happens there has significant ramifications for the rest of us a few weeks later.

FUBAR

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
256,110 7,716 2,533
Alleybux
There’s a small window of time NOW

“The Lunar New year starts on January 22 in 2023. If omicron infection rates start spiking right before then, China will have a big problem on its hands. It seems to be in the process of lifting a lot of travel restrictions, but having over 100 million people traveling at the height of a pandemic is not going to be a pretty scene. Chinese workers have already gone several years where many New Year trips home have been forgone, so there must be enormous pent-up demand. We can expect a lot of trips to be made.

The big problem will be when those workers try to come back. Localized lockdowns might come back, impeding travel. Or if workers are sick, there won’t be enough space to quarantine them. China is going into uncharted territory. Zero-Covid worked until it didn’t. Now we are into the didn’t stage, and the potential for causing more supply chain pain is huge.”

AaravLady26

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
22,376 4,002 559
Alleybux
I just re-upped on medicine and cleaning supplies especially Lysol. I believe we get the chemical to make it from China. It seems like whatever happens there has significant ramifications for the rest of us a few weeks later.
You are correct. If China gets locked down again, we, in the West, could be affected due to supply chain shortages. Especially, antibiotics. Imperative that we stock up what we can AFFORD - while we can.

canuck

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
2,486 215 1
Alleybux
Big Prepping Thread

i just reread your thread! thank you!

Ms. Stewart

Rated G for Gangsta
Reaction score
Reactions
58,527 562 90
Alleybux
You are correct. If China gets locked down again, we, in the West, could be affected due to supply chain shortages. Especially, antibiotics. Imperative that we stock up what we can AFFORD - while we can.

I agree with all of this except 90% seems high to me but I'm no expert. Still it makes sense to stock up while you can especially if things might hit the fan within the next sixish weeks or so.

Somewhat random thought, but has anyone been checking India and their covid cases? I think they send a lot of medicine to the US as well.

ToyQueen22

General Manager
BANNED
Reaction score
Reactions
32,547 2,215 759
Alleybux

We shouldn't be this reliant on another country

FUBAR

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
256,110 7,716 2,533
Alleybux
I agree with all of this except 90% seems high to me but I'm no expert. Still it makes sense to stock up while you can especially if things might hit the fan within the next sixish weeks or so.

Somewhat random thought, but has anyone been checking India and their covid cases? I think they send a lot of medicine to the US as well.
As of 12/29/22 the entire country has 253 new cases with the seven day average at 211 new cases daily.

Cinnahs

Black and Beautiful
Reaction score
Reactions
239,394 4,931 1,464
Alleybux
Does anyone have a good link to N95 NIOSH approved masks at a decent price? I still have KN95s and the duckbill style 3M 95s but they are not the most comfortable to wear. Just trying to stock up before things get crazy again.

Imsonosey

It is what it is
Reaction score
Reactions
10,675 229 12
Alleybux
Does anyone have a good link to N95 NIOSH approved masks at a decent price? I still have KN95s and the duckbill style 3M 95s but they are not the most comfortable to wear. Just trying to stock up before things get crazy again.
What do you consider a decent price? I bought some US-made ones from amazon.

Cinnahs

Black and Beautiful
Reaction score
Reactions
239,394 4,931 1,464
Alleybux
What do you consider a decent price? I bought some US-made ones from amazon.
I think I am just going to hold on buying more. I do have some KN95s that I can use before resorting to the duck bill masks. I didn't like the prices I have seen on Amazon and 3M. I normally get my masks from DMBSupply.com. They often have promo codes where you can save between 40-60%. Their N95s are out of stock right now.

andthepips

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
3,332 59 20
Alleybux
Project N95. Their prices aren’t crazy and they carry a variety of respirators in different sizes.

Summer Sweetie

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
315,074 45,106 6,437
Alleybux
Dec 30 (Reuters) - The World Health Organization on Friday once again urged China's health officials to regularly share specific and real-time information on the COVID-19 situation in the country, as it continues to assess the latest surge in infections.

The agency has asked Chinese officials to share more genetic sequencing data, as well as data on hospitalizations, deaths and vaccinations.

Official figures from China have become an unreliable guide as less testing is being done across the country following the recent easing of the strict "zero-COVID" policy.

WHO has previously said that China may be struggling to keep a tally of COVID-19 infections.

The agency has invited Chinese scientists to present detailed data on viral sequencing at its meeting of a technical advisory group scheduled for Jan. 3.

COVID infections have risen across China this month after Beijing dismantled its zero-COVID policies including regular PCR testing on its population. The United States, South Korea, India, Italy, Japan and Taiwan have all imposed COVID tests for travellers from China in response.

The United States has also attributed the recent change in its policy to the lack of information on COVID variants and concerns that the increased cases in China could result in the development of new variants of the virus.

Senior Chinese health officials exchanged views with the WHO on the new coronavirus via a video conference, China's National Health Commission said in a statement earlier on Friday.

Covfefe

In the end, we win.
Reaction score
Reactions
373,902 24,992 3,031
Alleybux

American's are so lucky. Look at the price they are charging for 3M masks in the UK.

Screenshot 2023-01-01 at 00.20.40.png

Screenshot 2023-01-01 at 00.20.54.png

Screenshot 2023-01-01 at 00.20.59.png

Covfefe

In the end, we win.
Reaction score
Reactions
373,902 24,992 3,031
Alleybux
I bought 2 boxes for $41.00 that includes free delivery! On your end--GREED!!!

Yeah, this country is ridiculous. I don't blame people for walking around in surgical masks because at least they're wearing something. People can't afford to feed themselves or heat their homes (1 in 4 hospitals contain food banks for their staff), so there's no way people can afford almost £100 on 20 masks - that would last a family of four 5 days if they only use one a day. It's terrible.

Tom Foolery

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
6,563 917 132
Alleybux
Expect supply chains to be affected.

China’s new Covid surge is crippling the world’s most important factories and biggest ports​

Workers test transformers at a workshop of Hebei Gaojing Electric Equipment Co LTD in an industrial park in Handan, North China's Hebei province, Jan 3, 2023.

Workers test transformers at a workshop of Hebei Gaojing Electric Equipment Co LTD in an industrial park in Handan, North China’s Hebei province, Jan 3, 2023.
CFOTO | Future Publishing | Getty Images
The surge in Covid-19 cases in China is impacting the completion of manufacturing orders, according to CNBC Supply Chain Heat Map data.
Logistics managers are warning clients that because of the spike in infections, factories are unable to complete orders — even with U.S. manufacturing orders from China already down 40% due to an unrelenting demand collapse.
Orders for ocean bookings continue to be softer according to SONAR Data.
107174653-1672945051258-ocean_booking.jpg

“With 1/2 or even 3/4 [of the] labor force being infected and not able to work, many China manufacturers can not operate properly but produce less than their optimal outputs,” Asia-based shipping firm HLS wrote in a note to clients. “The container pickup, loading, and drayage (trucking) are also affected as all businesses are facing the impacts of COVID. We expect a very soft volume after the Lunar New Year because a lot of factories have slowed production due to the increasing infection, and have to cancel or delay the bookings for the 2nd half of January and also early February.”
HLS also noted that “All indications that the Chinese cities are experiencing infection peaks is based on the surge of infected family members, friends, and colleagues, the long lines at the fever clinics at hospitals across the country.”
Three major ports across China are experiencing supply chain delivery problems because of Covid, according to the note.
For the Port of Shanghai, the world’s number one container port, the report warned that “Cancellations are increasing as many factories can’t operate properly due to a lot of workers getting infected with Covid.”
The same warning was also highlighted for the Port of Shenzhen, the fourth-largest container port in the world and the city that is home to Applemanufacturers. “The booking cancellation is increasing as many factories can’t operate properly due to a lot of workers getting invested with Covid,” the report said.
How dynamic Covid restrictions are impacting trade

Qingdao, the sixth-largest port in the world, is reported as having factories with only “1/4 labor force and can not ensure normal production.”
This data falls in direct contrast with reports from Chinese state media, which have looked to reassure the public that the outbreak is under control. The accuracy of data being released by the China CDC has come under increasing scrutiny around the world.
“Factory orders are down between 30%-40%, which you would think would help in the completion of the products,” said Alan Baer, CEO of OL USA. “This is not happening in some areas of the country which is troubling. Then you have to factor in the additional Covid surges after Chinese New Year. Q1 will be challenging.”
As a result of the Covid impact on trucking, MarineTraffic is seeing a slowdown in port productivity in Shanghai.
107174536-1672936461053-shanghai_ports.jpg

“While China has recently removed its zero-Covid restrictions, the congestion in Shanghai seems to have risen as MarineTraffic data shows that during the first week of 2023 that the average vessel TEU (twenty-foot equivalent unit) capacity waiting out of port limits was 321,989 TEUs, which is the highest amount recorded since April 2022,” said Alex Charvalias, Supply Chain In-Transit Visibility Lead at MarineTraffic. “Also, the congestion in Ningbo and Qingdao is rising as well, with 273,471 TEUs and 277,467 TEUs, respectively.
The record congestion was a result of the Covid lockdowns that started on March 28th. It took the city until mid-June to reopen after two failed attempts.
In prior outbreaks, the ports of Ningbo and Qingdao have been used as alternatives to avoid the Shanghai congestion. As a result of the logistics strategy, congestion can then follow. According to the HLS report, Ningbo was expected to have peak infections this week.

U.S. inventories could be impacted​

Looking ahead at manufacturing orders and if there will be any increase in the near future, Baer told CNBC that “Transpacific to East Coast port volume will remain under pressure until companies reach a balance between existing inventory levels and their expected sales rate.”
Data from WarehouseQuote shows inventories are still at all-time highs.
107174545-1672937131738-warehouse.jpg

“We are still seeing an extremely tight market with limited [third-party logistic] and industrial capacity nationwide,” said Jordan Brunk, chief marketing officer for WarehouseQuote. “We are continuing to see consistent increases in storage rates all over the U.S., with the exception of the southeast, which would indicate capacity is still tight across nearly all regions.”