Quantcast

What’s it like living in Los Angeles?

PrudencePuci

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
10,794 557 189
Alleybux
Been in L.A for several years and I AM READY TO GO! Not a fan as the city is filthy, stinks, overpriced, traffic is horrible, the culture sucks, and it's OVERRATED!

Sazzie

oh here go hell come
Reaction score
Reactions
34,165 421 137
Alleybux
Although its outside of the LA area and in the suburbs, does anyone know about the Valley area?

I'm assuming the bad neighborhoods people are referring to are the south central LA and Inglewood, etc.

Ocean Mama

Your Favorite Plot Twist
Reaction score
Reactions
84,697 3,603 2,670
Alleybux
Although its outside of the LA area and in the suburbs, does anyone know about the Valley area?

I'm assuming the bad neighborhoods people are referring to are the south central LA and Inglewood, etc.

Sherman Oaks, Studio City, Encino, Universal City, Toluca Lake: lovely.

kyoto

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
478 10 6
Alleybux
Ok you asked for it! I moved here at 23, no matter how many people tried to dissuade me. At first, when you work on set, it's so exciting to watch art being made, but then on crew breaks and such, you get to know people and how behind they are on their bills, asking you if you have any leads for new projects once that one wraps, what prescription antidepressant they are on or general political rants. Most of the actors that I have worked with have very visible eating disorders, and will do stuff, like sniff the craft table but never eat anything and go jogging outside during lunch so they don't have to eat. The sets can be tense, because everyone's afraid of getting fired and will throw you under the bus, so quickly, especially as a PA. The higher-ups will take credit for any creative suggestions. Alot of (not all) males in the crew and male actors will xesually harass you at some point, especially the older men at the wrap parties. Most of the actresses with botched faces are incredibly insecure and it's sad. I remember when I was a PA, and I offered an actress one of the bagels that I had just ran out to get for everyone, and she started throwing a fit that her boyfriend would get mad if she even took a bite. It was wild! The actors and their egos are insane and the "fake nice" ones are even worse if you piss them off accidentally. I got sick of production work and finally got a small writing gig on a webseries, and the amount of stress of that job was insane that my health got screwed up, and any ideas you have will get altered by several idiots before it even gets approved, so all the movies and TV shows that we watch are not even close to what the original writer had envisioned. Seeing celebrities out and about gets old, especially once you realize most of them are crazier than you, especially the Youtube vloggers. There are hardly any white or black people, literally. Asians and Latinos (and some Jewish Middle-Easterns) run California.Then you have the stress of paying your bills, and your car will need constant maintenance from driving so much, which is super expensive. The friendships you make aren't genuine, people just want to leech what they can from you to further their careers and narcissistic egos. Also, don't get me started on the nepotism. EVERY job is given through connections here, not talent. I also thought getting a writing job would make me happy, but it didn't. It allowed me to temporarily afford a studio apartment in a sh!tty part of town that was still $1200, but as soon as I quit that job, I had to move back with roommates. The only people that could afford to do all of the costly things were getting financed by mommy and daddy, up to their butts in credit card debt, and a few had sugar daddies. I had one for a short time, as well, but it was so miserable dealing with that old man in public that I cut it off quick. Also, good luck dating out here, every guy, no matter what his current job is, wants to be famous. Now don't get me wrong, the restaurants and events around LA are awesome, but the salaries simply don't match up for people to enjoy them often. Also, there are quite some beautiful sceneries in southern California, all the way down to San Diego. There some cool local people in LA, but most of them already have their close circle of friends, so it can be hard to penetrate. Also, most LA locals still live with their families, because even they can't afford to live in their home city. Even moving to the outskirts of LA is expensive. The homelessness population is out of control too, and our streets are filthy, even in the nice areas. On the bright side, you won't feel too much like a loser as you age, because everyone has PeterPan syndrome out here, most of my coworkers that are in their 40s still live off ramen noodles with several roommates and are "waiting for their big breaks". My 60 year old manager that makes six figures (with an 11 year old daughter at home) is renting out one of his spare rooms to a random man to help get by. He lives on the expensive Westside in a very small house. Remember, most of the people you see stunting out here on IG or reality shows are fronting hard. I actually think my passion for writing and creating art will come back when I leave this city. I learned that happiness comes from within, not another person or career achievement.
Girl.

A round of applause.

THIS is advice, tea, the whole nine.

Thank you for your contribution. Saving this myself.