Quantcast

What’s the most disturbing/horrifying novel you ever read?

Cryeisha

The High Priestess
Reaction score
Reactions
166,809 21,296 10,690
Alleybux
Just wondering y’all. More scary less disturbing.

This novel is my choice, found this at the library when I was in high school. Still up there as the most scariest novel.

81YZ-djCDPL.jpg

Description

She has arisen from the burning pit of Hell, full of fury and thirsting for revenge against those who have cast her into fiery oblivion. All mankind will pay for its sins against... MADONNA.

For The Culture

LSA's Lady Whistledown
Reaction score
Reactions
262,021 4,102 1,979
Alleybux
17571466.jpg

Nick Cutter's "The Troop"

I was looking for something with horror this sh!t was just straight up and down DISTURBING... I was not ready nor did I even ASK for this level of fuckery.

Via Goodreads:

Once a year, scoutmaster Tim Riggs leads a troop of boys into the Canadian wilderness for a three-day camping trip; a tradition as comforting and reliable as a good ghost story and a roaring bonfire. But when an unexpected intruder -- shockingly thin, disturbingly pale, and voraciously hungry -- stumbles upon their campsite, Tim and the boys are exposed to something far more frightening than any tale of terror. The human carrier of a bioengineered nightmare. An inexplicable horror that spreads faster than fear. A harrowing struggle for survival that will pit the troop against the elements, the infected ... and one another.

Thank me later...

Chaosbutterfly

Misappropriated Chanel
Reaction score
Reactions
42,255 867 306
Alleybux
Omg The Troop is a good one!
I was up staring at the ceiling the whole night after I finished it LOL.

I also submit for your consideration, The Long Walk by Stephen King.

51rRuFwVkkL._SX320_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I read it ages ago and still think about it all the damn time.

CuteButtocks

Chileeeeee
Reaction score
Reactions
54,498 1,395 381
Alleybux
American Psycho by Brett Ellis: Entire book was just pure gore, blood, murder and depravity. There was a scene about a girl getting her pussy torn off while she was getting head from the protagonist.

Sick Basterds: includes incest and cannibalism. So fµcked up I had to stop reading. So basically a post-apocalyptic setting where most of the earth died and food was scarce, a family had to resort to eating people, and of course fµck!ng each other. Sick.

screena

Team Owner
Solutions
Reaction score
Reactions
311,862 5,214 824
Alleybux
9176hmELndL.jpg

It's a fictionalized account of The Donner Party. Very disturbing.

51cmxJqed5L._SX321_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I think I've mentioned Haunted before. I almost put it down after the first story, but I kept with it. This was next level creepy but the twist at the end was worth it.

For The Culture

LSA's Lady Whistledown
Reaction score
Reactions
262,021 4,102 1,979
Alleybux

I was making pasta listening to the audiobook :cry.

Sorry OP I saw you said more scary and less disturbing! So to jump on the Stephen King bandwagon I would recommend "In the Tall Grass" by Stephen King and his demented son Joe Hill lol.

It's a short story and it's a hot ass mess:
15825932.jpg

"In the Tall Grass begins with a sister and brother who pull off to the side of the road after hearing a young boy crying for help from beyond the tall grass. Within minutes they are disoriented, in deeper than seems possible, and they’ve lost one another. The boy’s cries are more and more desperate. What follows is a terrifying, entertaining, and masterfully told tale, as only Stephen King and Joe Hill can deliver."

Still kinda disturbing tho...

CuteButtocks

Chileeeeee
Reaction score
Reactions
54,498 1,395 381
Alleybux
51cmxJqed5L._SX321_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I think I've mentioned Haunted before. I almost put it down after the first story, but I kept with it. This was next level creepy but the twist at the end was worth it.
Oooh I was about to mention two other books by chuck Palahniuk; The Girl Next Door (based on a true story) and I cant remember he other one I read by hm. He's really good!

TopazGem

MVP
Reaction score
Reactions
549 6 9
Alleybux
I read this when I was in Junior High School or Elementary can't really remember but, I was young. The book is so much more graphic when it came to the dinosaurs ripping people apart than the movie ever depicted. By far the most disturbing book I have ever read mostly because I read non fiction books a lot more than say horror or sci-fi.

images

soraya1181

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
45,745 913 213
Alleybux
flowers in the attic- the whole plot was disturbing and how the mother morphed from loving to indifferent to murderous. And it was something that I could see happening in real life which made it worse

the lovely bones- that disgusting slime built DOLLHOUSES for a living and did that to young girls. The juxtaposition was jarring and frightening. I cried when the father got beaten up and she said that the murderer couldn't understand how much a father could love his child(I'm close to my dad lol)

Never let me go- just a very melancholic, haunting portrayal of the futility of life. You have 3 people knowing their time is short and being so desperate to live. You could feel their emotions through the page and the ending just left me numb

inasundress

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
155,792 6,801 5,311
Alleybux

I listened to this audiobook when I was working a sh!tty call center job after I finished school. The voice actor did a great job.

Sking wrote this book when he was 18. motherfµck!ng EIGHTEEN. It's the first novel he ever wrote. Stevie will always be the GOAT.

I heard a while back it was supposed to be getting a movie but no updates since then.

Alchimista

Carving her own path
Reaction score
Reactions
8,869 83 20
Alleybux
Agota Kristof ( and no I didn't misspell Agatha Christie) , The Notebook. I'm still traumatized 20 years after reading it. Every horrible act a human being can commit is in this book.

91agxr-yutl-_sl1500_.jpg

Last edited:

stobbrark

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
Reactions
Alleybux
Let's Go Play at the Adams, by Mendal W. Johnson.

adams.jpg

Summary: Surely, it was only a game. In the orderly, pleasant world Barbara inhabited, nice children -- and they were nice children — didn't hold an adult captive.​

But what Barbara didn't count on was the heady effect their new-found freedom would have on the children. Their wealthy parents were away in Europe, and in this rural area of Maryland, the next house was easily a quarter of a mile away. The power of adults was in their hands, and they were tempted by it. They tasted it and toyed with it -- their only aim was to test its limits. Each child was consumed by his own individual lust and caught up with the others in sadistic manipulation and passion, until finally, step by step, their grim game strips away the layers of childishness to reveal the vicious psyche, conceived in evil and educated in society's sophisticated violence, that lies always within civilized men.
Three out of these five kids are actual psychopaths, and the two that aren't are too weak willed to do anything but go along with it. The baby-sitter's only 20 years old, barely older than some of the kids. Every chapter they escalate step by step, and the more they escalate, the less they see her as a person (even blindfolding her so she's more anonymous). As the end of the two weeks draw near, they start to see her as an annoyance as they try to work out how they'll "win" this game, before they get in trouble.

Writing the book was so harrowing the author drank himself to death a few years later. (Also, the obligatory longtime lurker, first time poster. I just love horror novels.)

Fuq U Meen

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
1,243 6 2
Alleybux

Sorry OP I saw you said more scary and less disturbing! So to jump on the Stephen King bandwagon I would recommend "In the Tall Grass" by Stephen King and his demented son Joe Hill lol.

15825932.jpg

"In the Tall Grass begins with a sister and brother who pull off to the side of the road after hearing a young boy crying for help from beyond the tall grass. Within minutes they are disoriented, in deeper than seems possible, and they’ve lost one another. The boy’s cries are more and more desperate. What follows is a terrifying, entertaining, and masterfully told tale, as only Stephen King and Joe Hill can deliver."

The movie is on Netflix

Abbie Mills

Wife of Prince Daemon Targaryen and President Snow
Reaction score
Reactions
79,090 1,113 415
Alleybux
It’s a children’s book, but it’s actually pretty disturbing and really sad. It made me cry.

upload_2020-7-21_7-46-43.jpeg

Livelearnlove19

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
6,510 329 167
Alleybux

15825932.jpg

I think they made this into a movie, its on Netflix or Hulu.

For The Culture

LSA's Lady Whistledown
Reaction score
Reactions
262,021 4,102 1,979
Alleybux
Jaysus!!!

Let me go check! That was a mess of a novella so I would be hype if they did.

There is once scene in particular I KNOW their asses wouldn't add in the movie because there would have been a crazy uproar. lol But I saw the trailer came out last year I will have to find this thanks!

Livelearnlove19

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
6,510 329 167
Alleybux
Some of the book descriptions as being more creepy/ disturbing than gory - weirds me out.

I just want to be tantalized. Not mortified. Lol.

For The Culture

LSA's Lady Whistledown
Reaction score
Reactions
262,021 4,102 1,979
Alleybux
The movie is on Netflix

Thanks, guys I will watch it. But I strongly recommend the book because what they cannot capture in this movie is the essence of horror that the idea of being lost does to a person...and all the other ish that is in there too.

Just turrifying

Reesey123

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
617 2
Alleybux
I just finished "If You Tell" by Gregg Olsen. It is based on the true crimes of Shelly Knotek, a psychopathic mother who took in innocent friends and abused them all while her family watched and enabled. It is similar to the Sylvia Likens/Girl Next Door tragedy.

This woman was truly manipulative and sociopathic, without an ounce of care or regard. It was an interesting but disturbing read.

For The Culture

LSA's Lady Whistledown
Reaction score
Reactions
262,021 4,102 1,979
Alleybux
I just finished "If You Tell" by Gregg Olsen. It is based on the true crimes of Shelly Knotek, a psychopathic mother who took in innocent friends and abused them all while her family watched and enabled. It is similar to the Sylvia Likens/Girl Next Door tragedy.

This woman was truly manipulative and sociopathic, without an ounce of care or regard. It was an interesting but disturbing read.
See if this were fiction I would read it but nah... I saw this was based on the true events and put that book back!

DZbornak

I’m not patronizing you, I’m a-mocking you
Reaction score
Reactions
152,566 5,365 1,568
Alleybux
American Psycho by Brett Ellis: Entire book was just pure gore, blood, murder and depravity. There was a scene about a girl getting her pussy torn off while she was getting head from the protagonist.

Sick Basterds: includes incest and cannibalism. So fµcked up I had to stop reading. So basically a post-apocalyptic setting where most of the earth died and food was scarce, a family had to resort to eating people, and of course fµck!ng each other. Sick.
American Psycho is just disgusting. The descriptions are way over the top and I say that as someone who absolutely loves horror. The part where he makes the rat enter into the woman’s vagina and it starts eating her from inside while she’s still alive? Come on. Too much. It’s unnecessary.

I own a book called “xes Related Homicide and Death Investigation” which is a police manual for crime scene analysts handling xesual homicides. The crime scene photos are... well, not for the faint hearted. Kids and toddlers are included. And the discussions in the book and about the suspects are really terrifying.

N2Ladies

Reaffirmed
Reaction score
Reactions
272,292 43,245 20,370
Alleybux
The most disturbing book I've ever read was a book of fiction called the Bible and it's so disturbing that adults in the 21st century believe it's lies which of course reaffirms my atheism!!

holy-bible-dark-browny-vintage-260nw-248701111.jpg

inasundress

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
155,792 6,801 5,311
Alleybux
I think I read a few sentences of The Road and thought it was going to be boring but yeah I've heard it's brutal.

PetiteEtoile

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
27,595 477 118
Alleybux
I read Blindness by Jose Saramago over 10 years ago and at least weekly I get a vivid memory flash/mental image of the hospital he described in the book. It feels briefly as though I'm there. The whole feeling/atmosphere of the book comes back to me and it unsettles the crap out of me.

No book has had an effect like it.

Read it, it's amazing.

Blue Lotus

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
28,875 672 256
Alleybux
The hunger book made me look up the donner-reed party and wow that was something else. Hastings who created that trail needs his ass beat, the man at the trading post who wanted to ensure return customers and hid the notes about turning back needs his ass beat, and all the men who had young children with them and decided it was a great idea to the road never traveled needed their asses beat.

This also confirms why I would never travel with large groups of white people.

MsFraser

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
84,012 10,016 2,198
Alleybux
That book was good considering the author. All his other books put me to sleep.
This reminds me.. I read a book about an anorexic girl in New York. She became a drug addict and left her family. This book truly put me off drugs and hanging with the “cool kids” in school because her drug addiction started off with justsmoking weed. She was hesitant in the beginning but she caved in and became a full blown drug addict.
E328DB78-5426-4FB8-8EA0-CF8F08B47C49.jpeg

Shipoopi

...the Girl who's hard to get.
Time Out
Reaction score
Reactions
24,859 2,640 2,393
Alleybux
The hunger book made me look up the donner-reed party and wow that was something else. Hastings who created that trail needs his ass beat, the man at the trading post who wanted to ensure return customers and hid the notes about turning back needs his ass beat, and all the men who had young children with them and decided it was a great idea to the road never traveled needed their asses beat.

This also confirms why I would never travel with large groups of white people.

I am familiar with this incident from all the true crime and paranormal podcasts I listen to, but the Goodreads rating made me not want to listen to it (audiobooks are so I can multitask).
But this comment right here changed my mind lol. Lemme go find this audiobook....

News Alley

The Lounge

General Alley

Top Bottom