Quantcast

What’s the tea on Washington Heights in New York.

FlashFm

Hottest radio station in Vice City
Reaction score
Reactions
27,803 2,690 3,455
Alleybux
Seems like a lot of Dominicans live there, is it affordable? I’m coming from LosAngeles .
Are there any black people that live there?
Is it safe compared to the rest on NYC

Last edited:

K_Diddy

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
66,860 1,664 69
Alleybux
My ex lives there, so I was there A LOT.

Yes, there's a HUGE Dominican population there. Awhile back, Puerto Ricans started moving in, and there was beef between the two. However, over the past 2 decades or so, the White people started moving in. The DR and PR residents now had a common enemy lol. I've seen Black people there (probably Black Dominican).

The rents used to be pretty cheap, probably still is compared to most of Manhattan. It's gotten extremely gentrified over the past 20 years. Plus, the apartments are a decent size, so you get more bang for your buck.

Public Transportation is decent. You have the train and buses that run pretty much 24/7.

The area my ex lived in was W.177 and St. Nick's. I always felt safe there, even though the area was a little sketchy. If I were to move to WH, I'd probably choose the 180s-190s. Also, search Washington Heights, NY in Google Maps, and take a 'tour' around the neighborhood.

If this is an area you're looking to move to, I'd learn a bit of Spanish. There are tons of people there who run stores, restaurants, etc., and they don't speak any English. And they will catch an attitude with you if you don't speak it (that happened to me lol).

CherryCherie

Go on girl, do your show...
Reaction score
Reactions
7,436 143 25
Alleybux
Seems like a lot of Dominicans live there, is it affordable? I’m coming from LosAngeles .
Are there any black people that live there?
Is it safe compared to the rest on NYC
Are you Black? Do you speak Spanish? If not, I personally would look south to West Harlem. West Harlem is a nice blend. I am Black, speak no Spanish, previously lived in BK and I personally have never had a positive experience in the Heights. I looked at a few apartments there but found something nicer closer to where I needed to be. Every time I have gone there I've needed my Dominican friends to vouch for me, come get me, etc... my experience has always been a discriminatory one towards non-latin people.

ETA: The drinks are good. The neighborhood is loud IMO. A lot of music from people's apartments, music from the street (specifically speakers in front of businesses), a lot of exhaust noise from care modifications etc... The city is loud in general but different neighborhoods have different types and levels of noise.

K_Diddy

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
66,860 1,664 69
Alleybux
Are you Black? Do you speak Spanish? If not, I personally would look south to West Harlem. West Harlem is a nice blend. I am Black, speak no Spanish, previously lived in BK and I personally have never had a positive experience in the Heights. I looked at a few apartments there but found something nicer closer to where I needed to be. Every time I have gone there I've needed my Dominican friends to vouch for me, come get me, etc... my experience has always been a discriminatory one towards non-latin people.

ETA: The drinks are good. The neighborhood is loud IMO. A lot of music from people's apartments, music from the street (specifically speakers in front of businesses), a lot of exhaust noise from care modifications etc... The city is loud in general but different neighborhoods have different types and levels of noise.
My ex and I went to a restaurant. The server started speaking Spanish, and was very sweet. I told her "I'm sorry, no hablo Espanol". Yo, home girl did a 180 on us. She had such a nasty attitude after that. We ate and left no tip.

Voicemail

Leave A Message After The Tone...
Reaction score
Reactions
7,077 101 40
Alleybux
My ex and I went to a restaurant. The server started speaking Spanish, and was very sweet. I told her "I'm sorry, no hablo Espanol". Yo, home girl did a 180 on us. She had such a nasty attitude after that. We ate and left no tip.
No lie when it comes to some Spanish people in NYC many of them are only pro-spanish. Anything different from that it’s like you don’t even exist in their world. I’m Afro-Lantina so it’s funny I’m even saying this.

FlashFm

Reaction score
Reactions
27,803 2,690 3,455
Alleybux

No I’m black. I am moving to NYC at the end of the year for work and wanted to look at areas that seemed affordable. I would love to live Brooklyn but it’s waaay to expensive. I was thinking about flushing since it’s close to the airport but to many Asians. I’ll look into Harlem, is rent cheap there?

blamblam

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
46,466 1,215 143
Alleybux
Honestly. Rent is super cheap right now in nyc. You don’t have to settle for Washington heights. If you’re not Dominican, you’re probably not going to feel comfortable there. It’s also not the safest area at a time where NYC is already not safe as it is.

look at Brooklyn. And Queens. It’s easy to get to the city from both boroughs. Certain parts of Queens like Astoria are really up and coming and mad fun with a lot of different bars and restaurants. (When Covid is over)

i live in Brooklyn and i love it. I have a HUGE apartment with TWO walk in closets. And it’s not that expensive. South Brooklyn is pretty affordable and not that far from the city and surprisingly close to the airport. About 45 mins on the train to the city. And 20 min Uber to JFK.

gunther85

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
73,403 1,764 886
Alleybux
I lived in inwood for 4 years and overall my expeirence was positive. I do think that there is an assumption that if you look black, you're really dominican or something because there is no reason why so many people just start speaking to you in spanish. That said, people stayed to themselves. I know the heights are right down the street, but it feels like a different world. If you're concerned and can...stay above 190th or below 150th. I still left my neighborhood to grocery shop.

CherryCherie

Reaction score
Reactions
7,436 143 25
Alleybux
No I’m black. I am moving to NYC at the end of the year for work and wanted to look at areas that seemed affordable. I would love to live Brooklyn but it’s waaay to expensive. I was thinking about flushing since it’s close to the airport but to many Asians. I’ll look into Harlem, is rent cheap there?
Hamilton Heights is super cute! I don't know what cheap is for you but you can find a studio or 1br maybe 1500/mo in a walk-up in a good area of Harlem. I left Brooklyn because my life was no longer centered in lower manhattan and I needed to be somewhere with a much shorter commute for my sanity. And as another Font mentioned, safety! No long or indirect train rides after 9pm for me! I would focus on where your job is and then choose a neighborhood from there. Flushing is near absolutely nothing and is a long commute by subway. I stand by West Harlem, Brooklyn maybe Flatbush, Ditmas Park or Crown Heights. Somewhere with express trains close to you.

FlashFm

Reaction score
Reactions
27,803 2,690 3,455
Alleybux
Hamilton Heights is super cute! I don't know what cheap is for you but you can find a studio or 1br maybe 1500/mo in a walk-up in a good area of Harlem. I left Brooklyn because my life was no longer centered in lower manhattan and I needed to be somewhere with a much shorter commute for my sanity. And as another Font mentioned, safety! No long or indirect train rides after 9pm for me! I would focus on where your job is and then choose a neighborhood from there. Flushing is near absolutely nothing and is a long commute by subway. I stand by West Harlem, Brooklyn maybe Flatbush, Ditmas Park or Crown Heights. Somewhere with express trains close to you.
I’ll check it out! Thank you so much for the info

CherryCherie

Reaction score
Reactions
7,436 143 25
Alleybux
I know the heights are right down the street, but it feels like a different world. If you're concerned and can...stay above 190th or below 150th. I still left my neighborhood to grocery shop.
THIS!
Yeah, I went to Mamajuanas for a bday and I had to call the dude who had the table outside to speak Spanish and explain why I was there to get me in. They let mad ppl inside in front of my face too, SMDH.

FlashFm

Reaction score
Reactions
27,803 2,690 3,455
Alleybux
Thanks everyone for your help . i know Frankie lymon is also from there which is an interesting tidbit. This was back in the day though

Sarah330

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
91,608 3,185 2,169
Alleybux
I’ll check it out! Thank you so much for the info
Look at apartments on riverside drive. Those apartments are nice in the 160's. I would avoid certain parts because they do have a rat problem (some buildings) because of the issue of garbage disposal. A lot of the spanish people litter a lot, loiter a lot and are very loud with music. If you do decide to move there, check out the people and the buildings. Because my sister lived over there a while ago and was having to call 311 frequently.

doeeyedgirl

HRH, Princess of LSA
Reaction score
Reactions
115,239 4,292 646
Alleybux
Washington Heights is one of the only “affordable” neighborhoods in Manhattan for regular folk. I wouldn’t call it unsafe but definitely keep it moving and stay out of the parks at night. There’s been tons of beggars lately in the subways — especially at 168th/Bway.

It’s almost entirely Hispanic/Latino immigrants. There are Black people but very few in comparison — I feel like a minority up here. My super BARELY understands English which can be a hassle when we need repairs done.

Washington Heights is very convenient though. Very close to the Highbridge, BX which has a Home Depot, Burlington, Target & Michael’s. The bus depot is right there for both intra city travel & to NJ. The A,B,C,D & 1 have multiple stops. Multiple gyms. Multiple pharmacies. UPS & USPS. Multiple medical facilities. The only thing missing is a quality grocery store. It’s 30-60 minutes to the nearest Aldi, Costco, Whole Foods and Trader Joe’s.

doeeyedgirl

HRH, Princess of LSA
Reaction score
Reactions
115,239 4,292 646
Alleybux
Flushing is too far if you work in the city — especially without a car. The farthest I would go is Astoria. My friend had a super cheap apt out there & it’s very sleepy if you prefer a quiet neighborhood. Trash commute to Brooklyn & Upper Manhattan but it’s not too bad to get to Harlem, UES & Midtown.

Harlem is in the process of gentrifying. Some areas are actually quite pricy for the square footage. You have to be careful as well...Harlem is very block-to-block in terms of safety—especially after dark...down to the intersections. If an apartment seems too cheap to be true, double check the location. Lots of ne’er do wells hanging around harassing people but there’s also lots of trendy restaurants & social life popping up.

Reaction score
Reactions
1,284 547 440
Alleybux
No lie when it comes to some Spanish people in NYC many of them are only pro-spanish. Anything different from that it’s like you don’t even exist in their world. I’m Afro-Lantina so it’s funny I’m even saying this.
In corona queens they sr elite what's there problem

Reaction score
Reactions
1,284 547 440
Alleybux
I lived in inwood for 4 years and overall my expeirence was positive. I do think that there is an assumption that if you look black, you're really dominican or something because there is no reason why so many people just start speaking to you in spanish. That said, people stayed to themselves. I know the heights are right down the street, but it feels like a different world. If you're concerned and can...stay above 190th or below 150th. I still left my neighborhood to grocery shop.
How isnit a different world

Reaction score
Reactions
1,284 547 440
Alleybux
THIS!

Yeah, I went to Mamajuanas for a bday and I had to call the dude who had the table outside to speak Spanish and explain why I was there to get me in. They let mad ppl inside in front of my face too, SMDH.
Did untell them about that

flytraphaus

Solange on the Elevator
Reaction score
Reactions
137,987 5,185 3,076
Alleybux
Very Hispanic neighborhood with pockets of Jewish residents. But that’s more towards Inwood.

Moderately safe. Always loud music so be prepared. Most people in the neighborhood speak Spanish.
A lot of the white residents are Columbia students. The train runs express from most stations, so that’s a plus if you don’t drive. If you do drive, parking is frustrating but that’s everywhere in New York.

If you move there, get to know your neighbors, speak to elders. You will need them for something eventually lol.

Good food, stay out of the parks, and embrace the neighborhood and you’ll enjoy it.

I hung out there tough when I was younger but I lived in Harlem.

Guapura

MVP
BANNED
Reaction score
Reactions
1,489 380 347
Alleybux
My ex lives there, so I was there A LOT.

Yes, there's a HUGE Dominican population there. Awhile back, Puerto Ricans started moving in, and there was beef between the two. However, over the past 2 decades or so, the White people started moving in. The DR and PR residents now had a common enemy lol. I've seen Black people there (probably Black Dominican).

The rents
Lol this is not accurate at all.
I live in Washington Heights. The Heights has been majority Dominican since like the 1970s and before that it was majority Jewish with non-Jewish population here and there. There are no Puerto Ricans moving in at all in The Heights. 95 out of 100 Hispanics you see on the streets are surely Dominican and I can guarantee you this. The neighborhood is an enclave. It's why is called Little Dominican Republic. You have a better chance to encounter Mexicans before Ricans there. Maybe you are confusing it with the Bronx?

Puerto Ricans are actually leaving New York. There is no area in NYC were Ricans as a group are moving in like that. It's the other way around, Dominicans are moving in areas outside Manhattan that were tradicionally Rican for a while. The Upper Manhattan was never Hispanic before the Dominicans took over.

Guapura

MVP
BANNED
Reaction score
Reactions
1,489 380 347
Alleybux
Hamilton Heights is more diverse but it's also more ghetto/hood. I think the area must be at least 50% Dominican while the rest White, Black and Mexican/"other". Washington Heights in the other hand feels 90% Dominican (the rest White, Mexican or other) while Inwood like 70% (the rest White or "other"). Washington Heights west of Broadway and Inwood/Dyckmann are the nicest.

K_Diddy

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
66,860 1,664 69
Alleybux
Lol this is not accurate at all.
I live in Washington Heights. The Heights has been majority Dominican since like the 1970s and before that it was majority Jewish with non-Jewish population here and there. There are no Puerto Ricans moving in at all in The Heights. 95 out of 100 Hispanics you see on the streets are surely Dominican and I can guarantee you this. The neighborhood is an enclave. It's why is called Little Dominican Republic. You have a better chance to encounter Mexicans before Ricans there. Maybe you are confusing it with the Bronx?

Puerto Ricans are actually leaving New York. There is no area in NYC were Ricans as a group are moving in like that. It's the other way around, Dominicans are moving in areas outside Manhattan that were tradicionally Rican for a while. The Upper Manhattan was never Hispanic before the Dominicans took over.
Not confusing the area at all. This was my experience from 2006-until about 2010 (maybe I should have mentioned this, not sure what's going on over there since then). And my ex is PR and grew up and lived there for over 45 years. His mom, there for almost 80 years. So they've seen the comings and goings of people in the area, and said themselves that the PR population has increased. Definitely not saying that there are more PR residents than Dominican, but at the time I was there, there was a decent PR population living in the area.

Last edited:

Guapura

MVP
BANNED
Reaction score
Reactions
1,489 380 347
Alleybux
Not confusing the area at all. This was my experience from 2006-until about 2010 (maybe I should have mentioned this, not sure what's going on over there since then). And my ex is PR and grew up and lived there for over 45 years. His mom, there for almost 80 years. So they've seen the comings and goings of people in the area, and said themselves that the PR population has increased. Definitely not saying that there are more PR residents than Dominican, but at the time I was there, there was a decent PR population living in the area.
It is true that it's not rare to find Puerto Ricans living in certain blocks here and there. But not that they would be visible like that. You made it seem like the neighborhood is mixed. It's a Dominican enclave.

The most common Hispanic group in the area after Dominicans is actually Mexicans. I live here since the early 2000s. The gentrification has been very slow and started in the 1990s. West of Broadway is where you see the most white people but even there it feels like a Dominican town. Washington Heights starts getting more mixed in the areas coliding with Harlem/West Harlem/Hamilton Heights. West Harlem must be majority Dominican at this point and especially along Broadway. From my experience this is the area of the entire Upper Manhattan that is gentrifying the fastest.

Puerto Ricans are leaving NYC in droves last time I checked. Doesn't make sense what your bf told you. Likely that he was exaggerating. Their area is The Bronx and East Harlem.

Last edited:

K_Diddy

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
66,860 1,664 69
Alleybux
It is true that it's not rare to find Puerto Ricans living in certain blocks here and there. But not that they would be visible like that. You made it seem like the neighborhood is mixed. It's a Dominican enclave.

The most common Hispanic group in the area after Dominicans is actually Mexicans. I live here since the early 2000s. The gentrification has been very slow and started in the 1990s. West of Broadway is where you see the most white people but even there it feels like a Dominican town. Washington Heights starts getting more mixed in the areas coliding with Harlem/West Harlem/Hamilton Heights. West Harlem must be majority Dominican at this point and especially along Broadway. From my experience this is the area of the entire Upper Manhattan that is gentrifying the fastest.

Puerto Ricans are leaving NYC in droves last time I checked. Doesn't make sense what your bf told you. Likely that he was exaggerating. Their area is The Bronx and East Harlem.
My boyfriend was probably exaggerating, with his trifling self lol

I did have to apartment sit in the upper 180s and Bennett, and at the time I was surprised to see they had a lil Russian/Jewish population going on. If I'm not mistaken, Dr. Ruth lives in that area.

Guapura

MVP
BANNED
Reaction score
Reactions
1,489 380 347
Alleybux
My boyfriend was probably exaggerating, with his trifling self lol

I did have to apartment sit in the upper 180s and Bennett, and at the time I was surprised to see they had a lil Russian/Jewish population going on. If I'm not mistaken, Dr. Ruth lives in that area.
Yes, that's their area.
I used to live in Fort Washington and my building was mixed btw. (this is east of Broadway). But it was only yts and Dominicans. There are few blocks where you find a few Greeks and other Europeans as well. Amsterdam Avenue near its boundaries with Harlem had a visible black American population not too long ago (I don't know now though). In conclusion, the neighborhood is still diverse to a degree but the group dominating is Dominicans and this is super obvious in the core of the area.