Quantcast

What are people of African descent called in other countries?

bitcesnijega

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
11,252 1,383 2,151
Alleybux
People saw him as mixed for sure which is why Peter Tosh, the one who (by all accounts and no disrespect) was 'more traditionally talented', was made the understudy in certain situations. It was Chris Blackwell's decision to make Bob the undoubtable star and separate him from The Wailers, although both Bunny and Peter were excellent as well. What set Bob apart was his marketability due to his skin color. Blackwell boasted about being the reason they broke up...for years and that's how it was back then. "He was marketable". I argue it's still like that now. Shaggy isn't mixed, but again, fair skin. I'm not gonna knock Sean Paul as I think he's underrated at times, but him being multiracial has always benefitted him. I mean he was around for ages before he hit international successes but him becoming as visible as he was was definitely due to his image. There are people just as talented, if not more, than Sean that haven't had that success and that's that. Again, I love Bob and I love Sean but these are just facts.

It's a big problem and I know people will say "it's not that deep" but it is.

There's a song called 'Someone Loves You Honey' by a lady named JC LODGE ft. Prince Mohamed (George Nooks).

For some reason....whenever this song was performed in Europe, George Nooks would always be replaced by the guy in this video performing with her ^.

George is a dark-skinned man. He did once do an interview about why this happened and mentioned that this was a reason. Soemone on her management team said that he was "too black and ugly" to be performing for the people with her as she's fair. This went over my head because he was on the Gil bailey show saying this. (RIP)

It's pretty sad.

Anyway, sorry for the long rant..just giving you some context.

No, I appreciate it. Bob Marley's biracialness was a surprise to me and now I recently learned about how he treated his black wife and his thirst for that Becky. My view of Jamaica has changed a lot pretty recently. I am disappointed.

Willia

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
70,895 1,987 1,222
Alleybux
No, I appreciate it. Bob Marley's biracialness was a surprise to me and now I recently learned about how he treated his black wife and his thirst for that Becky. My view of Jamaica has changed a lot pretty recently. I am disappointed.
Honestly, I love Bob. I think I grew-up glamorizing him a bit because he was a hero to me as a kid growing up with jamaican parents. But my father who is pretty militant used to say, "Him did leff him wife fi dat deh whoring white gyal"

I don't think that was very nice language (the "hoe" portion of that), but he essentially just meant that he ruined his marriage and did so with a white woman. To be honest, it seems as though he did it with multiple women (including black women, predominantly). Cindy was Miss Jamaica at some point and it's a pretty sad tale, but she boasts about how she knew he was married. It's actually weird but that's what her whiteness allowed for her. She didn't, apparently, face the social shame in such a detrimental way.

Also, after watching a documentary on him around 2013, I stop romanticizing him as it seems that his kids didn't romanticize him. They appreciate his greatness as an artist, based on what they said, but they were pretty open (his black kids) about their feelings towards their dad. It wasn't bad but it seemed more neutral, "That was my old man.."

All in all, I would like to say that Jamaicans are lovely and our culture was built on Blackness and it just saddens me that classism (which has a lot to do with colorism there) is as bad as it is. It's definitely disappointing but if you ever have a chance or interest, please do some more research as there are more uplifting, beautiful BLACK stories about the island. But just like our brothers/sisters in Haiti or even the US, colonization did a sick number on us as did slavery.

Leo2Leo

STEEL HEELS
Reaction score
Reactions
3,365 157 466
Alleybux
I didn't say who started it. I just asked what we were called elsewhere.
So.
You said: Is the US the only country that labels us first based on our phenotype?

My answer to that was and still is: The US didn't come up
with the label. Black US people did, namely Jesse Jackson
and everyone and the MEDIA who wanted to be self righteous
and PC jumped on board using AA.

It's high time that US citizens refer to each other and themselves as Americans. Period. If a description is
necessary for some reason then describe that individual.
White US citizens never call themselves European
Americans or Anglo-Saxon Americans. Labels are meant
to divide. These PC types are language monitors, for one
thing, and they use race to divide. It's all Leftism/Marxism
and it's gaining traction fourfold. Stop playing into their
hands. Beware and wise up.

Ernada

High IQ-ER KO's Kangaroo
Reaction score
Reactions
237,474 21,165 10,194
Alleybux
So people saw Marley as mixed? Do you think this helped with his popularity over there?
His step-dad was white, bio-dad black, but he was lighter skinned so he got alot more shine than the darker skinned blacks writing his music and who had originally performed his works. He was told to push the biracial narrative because it would lead to more record sales (although he was not) and it was true, he ended up being the best selling artist from Jamaica for that time period despite probably not even being among the top 3 reggae artist in terms of talent. Kinda like Sean Paul today.

AfroSoul

MJ IS THE GREATEST PERFORMER OF ALL TIME .THE GOAT
Reaction score
Reactions
52,398 2,857 8,181
Alleybux
In France "noir" (black) , "gens de couleur" ( colored people) or ""nègre (******) for racists .

AfroSoul

MJ IS THE GREATEST PERFORMER OF ALL TIME .THE GOAT
Reaction score
Reactions
52,398 2,857 8,181
Alleybux
The name of our ethnicity has always been our race (negro, colored, black) until Jesse Jackson wanted to change it to AA. I prefer Black or Black American. Native Black American, or FBA works too.

That is why when you ask a Black American "what are you", they will just say "Black". Ask a non American Black , they will say what country them/their family is from . ex. Nigerian, Dominican etc.

It depends who they are talking with . If i am talking with a black person , i will say my country of origin , if i am talking with a non-black i just say "black" or african .

Revandu

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
1,963 145 152
Alleybux
In America, we are "African Americans" or "black."

What are we in Italy? Are we African Italians? Spain? GB? UAE?

Is the US the only country that labels us first based on our phenotype?
In Nigeria we are identified by our tribe so I mean we are all black lol

peachblossom

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
36,190 1,646 1,416
Alleybux
Gisele Bundchen isn't brown in the U.S. or else white America would have had a problem with her marrying their golden boy, Tom Brady. There's also no record of non Euro ancestry.
THis is true, but Gisele is clearly of nonwhite ancestry, there being no record of it doesn't mean it doesn't exist.
Many of the 'white-white' people in Latin America also have admixture that is simply not claimed or acknowledged (no different than with anywhere else in the world), and since most people can't actually tell, it just is what it is.

PaulAtreides

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
95,985 4,671 2,847
Alleybux
THis is true, but Gisele is clearly of nonwhite ancestry, there being no record of it doesn't mean it doesn't exist.
Many of the 'white-white' people in Latin America also have admixture that is simply not claimed or acknowledged (no different than with anywhere else in the world), and since most people can't actually tell, it just is what it is.
I would say it isn't clear that Gisele is of nonwhite ancestry. What is she mixed with? African or indigenous?
images

Even on here, fonts try to say she isn't really Brazilian but is a German woman, which is false. They also love to say she is only promoted because she's white.

She has continuously been the richest/top-paid model. That wouldn't happen to someone who is clearly nonwhite.

This man is from Brazil. They don't all have admixture.
OupQ7J5.png

ezBKfGZ.png

dM47KKd.png

The ones with nonwhite ancestry don't necessarily have black African DNA either. 2% North African is non-black Moor ancestry that he would have gotten from the European. & this one is mixed with indigenous.

TYCLmL4.png

Can't tell by looking at him that he's the one mixed with indigenous as opposed to black like these:

FURQG40.png

uYpQUT1.png
D3Z2AYA.png

This is another example of no mixture from the New World. No black or indigenous. Has less mixture than many direct white Southern Europeans.

eEYMgXX.png

ETA: The model who is clearly of nonwhite ancestry is Adriana. She is Pardo though and has always had an exotic image. Gisele is promoted over her in the fashion world.

Last edited:

Zaida

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
1,589 31 4
Alleybux
Generally -- at least where I live -- we either call ourselves by our ethnic origin [for instance, in the case of my maternal family, we refer to ourselves as South Sudanese], Afro-Australian, African Australian or sometimes, depending on the situation/circumstance, just as Australians.

"Black" absolutely does get some usage but is less common. I find it more among those who came here later/are more recent immigrants (as opposed to families like mine who have been here for several decades) or is used by others in reference to us.

I think my best guess is that it probably gets less use because Aboriginals refer to themselves as such (and were referred to as black by the whites too, though, I've personally never heard a white person from the younger generations refer to Aboriginals as black; that's more of an over 45/50 thing) so the earlier African immigrants likely wanted to distinguish themselves from the Aboriginal populace. Possibly because our treatment from Aboriginals in particular has generally been pretty sh!tty -- a little known fact that I've never seen covered anywhere but is something that every person of African ancestry that I know has experienced.

Agree 100%. I've also noticed that white people like to use 'black' as an insult (my sister got into a incident on the road the other day and that was all they were shouting at her).

I don't know if you're on Australian Twitter like that, but what do you think of the "tensions" between Aboriginals and African black people going on right now. I know they were very upset when a black lives matter protest was organised in Sydney without the involvement of the Aboriginal/Torres Strait Islander community...

**I don't think this protest was even organized by black people too :silence

ababda

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
6,215 154 142
Alleybux
Generally -- at least where I live -- we either call ourselves by our ethnic origin [for instance, in the case of my maternal family, we refer to ourselves as South Sudanese], Afro-Australian, African Australian or sometimes, depending on the situation/circumstance, just as Australians.

"Black" absolutely does get some usage but is less common. I find it more among those who came here later/are more recent immigrants (as opposed to families like mine who have been here for several decades) or is used by others in reference to us.

I think my best guess is that it probably gets less use because Aboriginals refer to themselves as such (and were referred to as black by the whites too, though, I've personally never heard a white person from the younger generations refer to Aboriginals as black; that's more of an over 45/50 thing) so the earlier African immigrants likely wanted to distinguish themselves from the Aboriginal populace. Possibly because our treatment from Aboriginals in particular has generally been pretty sh!tty -- a little known fact that I've never seen covered anywhere but is something that every person of African ancestry that I know has experienced.

That is interesting in regards to the indigenous people in Australi, and see ome African ethnic groups. I would say, my encounters with indigenous Australians was pretty positive probably because I grew up in new Zealand and lived among the Maori there in fact one of my good friends in Australia till this day is Torres strait island. Like you I am from Sudan but North. Let say Australians confuse me for non African ethnicities, not realizing our country Sudan is very diverse until we separated. The only person that got it right was my Torres Island friend. She has a weird fascination of Northern Sudanese culture and our henna designs style. Ask me all soughts of questions, but I had to keep on telling her I grew up in New Zealand.

What I called myself in new Zealand Sudanese which did not present a problem for locals since there are not many Sudanese immigrants but there are Egyptians so I am confused by that camp.

Now Australia is different. I may say Sudanese but from their ignorant eyes I am "arab" or "Indian" before I say a word until I correct them and somewhat educate them about Sudan. My experiences similar to my fellow Sudani youtuber Hind.

Everything she said in this video has also been my experience.

Last edited: