Quantcast

What are people of African descent called in other countries?

Livia Drusilla

Augusta
Reaction score
Reactions
72,891 1,887 563
Alleybux
I am called American. This harsh accent gives it away quickly. Everybody else gets called from where ever their parents or grandparents are from.

Naija40

The Bird whisperer( Formerly 'Kmoor')
Reaction score
Reactions
11,653 1,116 2,448
Alleybux
Back home, we Somalis call each other Somalis.. but non Somalis (Black people/other Africans) are madow.. which means black In Somali. There are other terms (sometimes derogatory) for black people.

Let's leave that one there :notworthy:

peachblossom

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
36,190 1,646 1,416
Alleybux
And you will learn something today : in France, wp are afraid and I mean AFRAID of saying "Noir" (which means "black" in french). So do you know what they say ? They say "BLACK".
Yep. In a whole a** french sentence, they will say "BLACK" when talking about a black person. "Je connais un BLACK qui (...)" = "I know a NOIR who" imagine that lol.
It just feels wrong. Same when you hear "people of color" or "african american" in english instead of black.
I thought that blacks in France actually preferred to be called "noir" and French whites call them "black" to other them.

fleurpower

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
12,754 268 38
Alleybux
I thought that blacks in France actually preferred to be called "noir" and French whites call them "black" to other them.
yes that's what I wrote, sorry it was maybe confusing.
They call us "black" in english and not "noir", which we find crazy here. But of course, some bp here don't care and call themselves like that...

Ketayun

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
11,601 23 15
Alleybux
Read the history on the how "african american" title came about.

Would you like us to go back to "octoroon" or "negro"?

When I leave the country I say I'm American from the US. bc North and South america is huge and other parts of the americas at times see themselves as american. I was told when traveling that's rude.

But in america i say I'm black. Period. No need to go further.

I know the history. Again I'm just asking what we're are called elsewhere. ‍‍

Amalfi

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
3,066 9
Alleybux
America is mainly the only country that identifies people by race first and not ethnicity.

Go to Europe, Asia, the Middle East, any where else in the world and people identify themselves by their ethnicity/nationality. You'll never catch an italian person identifying themselves as white, they just consider themselves italian.

I'm from Sweden And we just call ourselves black or swedish here. Or if we are immigrants we say what ethnicity we are. Ex: Ethiopian, Somalian, Jamaican, etc.

Hope that helped.

Ketayun

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
11,601 23 15
Alleybux
Why is everyone on LSA so skeptical of everything. Like what is it? LOL

Anyaz

MVP
Reaction score
Reactions
2,457 179 223
Alleybux
It is the same thing in all non-black countries. If you're of African ancestry you will be called black. There's no exception. You cannot escape blackness anywhere in the world.

Last edited:

Mulberry

I don't interact with new fonts. 365 day minimum.
Reaction score
Reactions
153,602 5,550 2,401
Alleybux
Generally -- at least where I live -- we either call ourselves by our ethnic origin [for instance, in the case of my maternal family, we refer to ourselves as South Sudanese], Afro-Australian, African Australian or sometimes, depending on the situation/circumstance, just as Australians.

"Black" absolutely does get some usage but is less common. I find it more among those who came here later/are more recent immigrants (as opposed to families like mine who have been here for several decades) or is used by others in reference to us.

I think my best guess is that it probably gets less use because Aboriginals refer to themselves as such (and were referred to as black by the whites too, though, I've personally never heard a white person from the younger generations refer to Aboriginals as black; that's more of an over 45/50 thing) so the earlier African immigrants likely wanted to distinguish themselves from the Aboriginal populace. Possibly because our treatment from Aboriginals in particular has generally been pretty sh!tty -- a little known fact that I've never seen covered anywhere but is something that every person of African ancestry that I know has experienced.

missbijoux

Sweet like honey
Reaction score
Reactions
56,086 1,107 213
Alleybux
Were you born in Norway? Many people don't realize that there is a black population everywhere on earth.

The US denationalized us after slavery.They named us 'Negro' and 'Colored' before Jesse Jackson coined 'African American'. The concept is the same.

No, but I have lived here almost my whole life so it does feel like I was born here. I mean no one can tell the difference anyway.

missbijoux

Sweet like honey
Reaction score
Reactions
56,086 1,107 213
Alleybux
I'm American, but from learning the Korean language I've learned that in Korea we are called "Heugin" 흑인 which means "black person", but they also sometimes call African-Americans Apeurikagye migoogin" 아프리카계 미국인 (Americans from Africa) and Black Americans

They do have a "N word" for us too, "Kkamdoongi" 깜둥이 which means Blackie. It's a shame no matter where we go there's derogatory terms for us. e4

blackie??? sounds like some word from UK lol no shade to the british fonts

missbijoux

Sweet like honey
Reaction score
Reactions
56,086 1,107 213
Alleybux

umm, i think they are referred to as french. but maybe the black french people call themselves black just to make a distinction? because i have seen challenges where they bring a black french guy and he was referred to as just french

Ernada

High IQ-ER KO's Kangaroo
Reaction score
Reactions
237,460 21,163 10,193
Alleybux
That's crazy because I was just ranting in my own head about how I'm tired of hearing "african-american" and I'm not even from the US...
After watching that viral video from a Karen at central park calling the cops on a black man, I was so pissed when she shouted "an AFRICAN AMERICAN MAN" on the phone.
That is just unbearable. How about "european american" ? Nah, it won't sound "too" derogatory for them. F* that.

And you will learn something today : in France, wp are afraid and I mean AFRAID of saying "Noir" (which means "black" in french). So do you know what they say ? They say "BLACK".
Yep. In a whole a** french sentence, they will say "BLACK" when talking about a black person. "Je connais un BLACK qui (...)" = "I know a NOIR who" imagine that lol.
It just feels wrong. Same when you hear "people of color" or "african american" in english instead of black.

This is just a way of taking our black power out of us.
That makes no sense, why don't they say Noir?
I noticed this in reading french and presumed it must be a typo, but it kinda makes sense. I really don't get why they would borrow this word from English.

Ernada

High IQ-ER KO's Kangaroo
Reaction score
Reactions
237,460 21,163 10,193
Alleybux
Preto is semi-offensive. It’s literally the color black.

Negro/a or Afrodescente is the correct term.
I never got that with Brazilian portuguese,
why is preto offensive but negro/a not?
Also does afrodescendente only apply to black people or also biracials and mixed like anyone of african descent ?

Ernada

High IQ-ER KO's Kangaroo
Reaction score
Reactions
237,460 21,163 10,193
Alleybux
I was at a table with several Russian exchange students and then they told me that in Russia, black people refers to central asians (who are not of african descent), no clue what they call actual black people though.

ben33

vincy to da bone
Reaction score
Reactions
56,877 2,797 2,997
Alleybux
In my country black people are called black. Sometimes, they may refer to a dark skin black person as a d@rkie.

Last edited:

PaulAtreides

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
95,976 4,671 2,842
Alleybux
I never got that with Brazilian portuguese,
why is preto offensive but negro/a not?
Also does afrodescendente only apply to black people or also biracials and mixed like anyone of african descent ?

Usually, in Spanish speaking countries their stats for the afrodescent population puts black and mixed/non mestizos together.

In some countries, the black population that is left are mixed people.

I know when Brazil said it has the largest population of African descent outside of Nigeria it included the black and mixed population because I looked at Census records. 80 mill was listed as Pardo and 20 mill was listed as preto to make the 100 mill figure.

I believe this is why Adriana Lima said she's Afro Brazilian. Because she's translating that phrase.

Willia

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
70,892 1,987 1,222
Alleybux
Black in Jamaica lol.
If you're a black Jamaican or black person, you're called black.

Ernada

High IQ-ER KO's Kangaroo
Reaction score
Reactions
237,460 21,163 10,193
Alleybux
Usually, in Spanish speaking countries their stats for the afrodescent population puts black and mixed/non mestizos together.

In some countries, the black population that is left are mixed people.

I know when Brazil said it has the largest population of African descent outside of Nigeria it included the black and mixed population because I looked at Census records. 80 mill was listed as Pardo and 20 mill was listed as preto to make the 100 mill figure.

I believe this is why Adriana Lima said she's Afro Brazilian. Because she's translating that phrase.
Wait, I thought many of the whites in Brazil were mixed with black. Like there are preto, pardo and blancos. But the "blancos" are like brazilian blancos who are considered "brown" in USA as they are like african grandparent with a few ethnic features or look white but really aren't, type white.

PaulAtreides

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
95,976 4,671 2,842
Alleybux
Wait, I thought many of the whites in Brazil were mixed with black. Like there are preto, pardo and blancos. But the "blancos" are like brazilian blancos who are considered "brown" in USA as they are like african grandparent with a few ethnic features or look white but really aren't, type white.
You can be of African descent and white. Neymar's son is an example of that. He isn't brown though.

But no, that's not necessarily true.

Gisele Bundchen isn't brown in the U.S. or else white America would have had a problem with her marrying their golden boy, Tom Brady. There's also no record of non Euro ancestry.

They have entire European descent communities, which allows them to have kids with only each other. Many countries have that.

ETA: There are several other examples besides Gisele.

Caroline Trentini
1120942-500w.jpg

Raquel Zimmerman.
ydZRospOBgZNVYlLcTjuldLHuSQZX7jehL1LnP_CIpqd6_egTkAHGtV_2Qdsm5tAypMmDQiqVn35xUwOHsgCkP6F-fcsqb3QFFEfpPf7uSLZAsuEjQ2IGgosyGwq_IXCySCZYB5XTgbvqjEvPiBKKjmVmpt1pTIgCVRuo7CZMIBLq260savESk5V

Cintia Dicker
328004-500w.jpg

Last edited:

bitcesnijega

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
11,252 1,383 2,151
Alleybux
In Germany people sometimes avoid the word "schwarz" to describe black people. Schwarz is usually used to describe illegal activities like Schwarzarbeit (unregistered work), Schwarzfahren (fair dodging), etc.

I've heard people use the word "Dunkelhäutige(r)" / "Fargibe(r)" to describe black/dark skinned people. Racial categorisation is un-PC here (plus the negative connotations of the word schwarz), so, you're more likely to be called a Dunkelhäutige in formal spaces or called Afrikaner (if you're African) or Afro-[Nationality] or just by your nationality. "Person of color" is also becoming popular here amongst young people.

People still do use schwarz though (I call myself this because this is the term I identify the most strongly with as a South African, despite being a continental African). Other Africans I've met mostly use Afrikaner to describe themselves. Afro-Deutsch is another term.

Oddly enough, Hip Hop, RnB and all those genres are called Black Music. I still find that strange. I asked an Afro-German guy how they would then classify music by Eminem and Justin Bieber and he also didn't know if they would play this at a Black Music event.

LeSigh

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
12,644 378 180
Alleybux
I'm American, but from learning the Korean language I've learned that in Korea we are called "Heugin" 흑인 which means "black person", but they also sometimes call African-Americans Apeurikagye migoogin" 아프리카계 미국인 (Americans from Africa) and Black Americans

They do have a "N word" for us too, "Kkamdoongi" 깜둥이 which means Blackie. It's a shame no matter where we go there's derogatory terms for us. e4

ETA: I've done some research on the term and it seems that unlike the N word, kkamdoongie is just an insult for dark skin and is not an insult based on race, but recently has taken to that meaning. Meaning, Koreans have called dark skinned Koreans and other groups of people this word too

Is 미국계 흑인 also used? If not get the word out cause 아프리카계 미국인 got too much going on :joy:

bitcesnijega

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
11,252 1,383 2,151
Alleybux
In South Africa, black people are called black or African (although I remember triggering a lot of people when I decided to switch to the latter term. Both black and white people alike felt that non-black people could also be African). I switched back to black, although that can also be confusing (explanation below).

The Steve Biko definition of black includes Indians, coloureds and Chinese South Africans. From Wikipedia:
"Biko rejected the apartheid government's division of South Africa's population into tribal and ethnic groups, instead dividing the population into two categories: the white and the black.[178] He defined blackness as a "mental attitude" rather than a "matter of pigmentation", referring to "blacks" as "those who are by law or tradition politically, economically and socially discriminated against as a group in the South African society" and who identify "themselves as a unit in the struggle towards the realization of their aspirations".[178] In this way, he and the Black Consciousness Movement used "black" in reference not only to Bantu-speaking Africans but also to Coloureds and Indians,[57] who together made up almost 90% of South Africa's population in the 1970s."

This definition is prevalent in political and academic spaces in SA. In everyday life normal people mostly use 'black' to describe Bantu-speaking South Africans.

In Sesotho, the term "motho a motsho" is used to describe either a black person or a black/non-white person with a dark complexion. It could be taken offensively in the former case (because colourism), so in some cases you could opt to call the person a Moafrika (African) or Mosotho (in this context it means a black person, not just a Sotho speaker). So if you have a picture of a black person standing in group with other races, you could describe them as a Mosotho in this case, even if they are AA.

Many black people from the older generation though might describe AAs as "Manegro" (Negros). It's not meant offensively though, it's just that during the era they grew up in, this is what African Americans were called.

Last edited:

Goodgyalknd

✧・゚: *✧・゚:* in my princess era *:・゚✧*:・゚✧
Reaction score
Reactions
262,764 12,734 1,841
Alleybux
In America, we are "African Americans" or "black."

What are we in Italy? Are we African Italians? Spain? GB? UAE?

Is the US the only country that labels us first based on our phenotype?

Black in [-insert language-]

Goodgyalknd

✧・゚: *✧・゚:* in my princess era *:・゚✧*:・゚✧
Reaction score
Reactions
262,764 12,734 1,841
Alleybux

They say renoi?

Loeny

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
84,767 6,962 11,544
Alleybux
The country, USA, didn't start the label AA. Americans who are black
started that moniker.
Jesse started that back in the 80s.
Initially there was some widespread push back on identifying ourselves as AA.

Ernada

High IQ-ER KO's Kangaroo
Reaction score
Reactions
237,460 21,163 10,193
Alleybux
You can be of African descent and white. Neymar's son is an example of that. He isn't brown though.

But no, that's not necessarily true.

Gisele Bundchen isn't brown in the U.S. or else white America would have had a problem with her marrying their golden boy, Tom Brady. There's also no record of non Euro ancestry.

They have entire European descent communities, which allows them to have kids with only each other. Many countries have that.

ETA: There are several other examples besides Gisele.

Caroline Trentini
1120942-500w.jpg

Raquel Zimmerman.
ydZRospOBgZNVYlLcTjuldLHuSQZX7jehL1LnP_CIpqd6_egTkAHGtV_2Qdsm5tAypMmDQiqVn35xUwOHsgCkP6F-fcsqb3QFFEfpPf7uSLZAsuEjQ2IGgosyGwq_IXCySCZYB5XTgbvqjEvPiBKKjmVmpt1pTIgCVRuo7CZMIBLq260savESk5V

Cintia Dicker
328004-500w.jpg
But do we have DNA test of these "white" people from Brazil and how many generations have they been there. I heard from a white person thaat no matter how white the brazilian might look, they aren't if they been there past 3 generations for the most part. Basically, most of these whites are like neymar's son.

I know there are white looking Brazilians, but my question is do we have their dna test?

It is also my understanding that white people who look white like the ones you showed, are like the minority.o Most of them are of the say, spicy white, ty lsa, variety. Is this the case?

PaulAtreides

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
95,976 4,671 2,842
Alleybux
But do we have DNA test of these "white" people from Brazil and how many generations have they been there. I heard from a white person thaat no matter how white the brazilian might look, they aren't if they been there past 3 generations for the most part. Basically, most of these whites are like neymar's son.

I know there are white looking Brazilians, but my question is do we have their dna test?

It is also my understanding that white people who look white like the ones you showed, are like the minority.o Most of them are of the say, spicy white, ty lsa, variety. Is this the case?
Mostly it's ancestry tests of pardos.

Brazil has the highest number of German descent in Latin America, so yeah you're going to find those who look like Raquel Zimmerman. If they're of Italian descent then they won't necessarily look like that. It depends.

& as I said you can be white with African ancestry. This even applies to Americans.

You had people like Alexander Hamilton who was regarded as white despite the belief that he had black ancestry due to Caribbean ancestors.

In the U.S., my white neighbor told me he got some African. There are many white southerners with African ancestry. In the past, the average white American used to have even more black ancestry before they allowed immigrants to outnumber the original settler descendants.

So we would have to reduce the percentage of white Americans who are actually white if it really was that way.

The U.S. isn't Norway.

Willia

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
70,892 1,987 1,222
Alleybux
So people saw Marley as mixed? Do you think this helped with his popularity over there?
People saw him as mixed for sure which is why Peter Tosh, the one who (by all accounts and no disrespect) was 'more traditionally talented', was made the understudy in certain situations. It was Chris Blackwell's decision to make Bob the undoubtable star and separate him from The Wailers, although both Bunny and Peter were excellent as well. What set Bob apart was his marketability due to his skin color. Blackwell boasted about being the reason they broke up...for years and that's how it was back then. "He was marketable". I argue it's still like that now. Shaggy isn't mixed, but again, fair skin. I'm not gonna knock Sean Paul as I think he's underrated at times, but him being multiracial has always benefitted him. I mean he was around for ages before he hit international successes but him becoming as visible as he was was definitely due to his image. There are people just as talented, if not more, than Sean that haven't had that success and that's that. Again, I love Bob and I love Sean but these are just facts.

It's a big problem and I know people will say "it's not that deep" but it is.

There's a song called 'Someone Loves You Honey' by a lady named JC LODGE ft. Prince Mohamed (George Nooks).

For some reason....whenever this song was performed in Europe, George Nooks would always be replaced by the guy in this video performing with her ^.

George is a dark-skinned man. He did once do an interview about why this happened and mentioned that this was a reason. Soemone on her management team said that he was "too black and ugly" to be performing for the people with her as she's fair. This went over my head because he was on the Gil bailey show saying this. (RIP)

It's pretty sad.

Anyway, sorry for the long rant..just giving you some context.