Quantcast

What are some of the worst/most cliche novel twists that you've read?

Victoria Baker Harber

I'm not seasonal. I'm a fµck!ng timeless classic.
Reaction score
Reactions
70,611 2,255 110
Alleybux
I will follow your lead...

"My split personality!"

Lol.

But seriously, I read about three thrillers this year dealing with a split personality that the woman protagonist didn't know she had but her husband did and went along with it because 'reasons'.

StilettoNerd

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
9,938 57 24
Alleybux
I will follow your lead...

"My split personality!"

Lol.

But seriously, I read about three thrillers this year dealing with a split personality that the woman protagonist didn't know she had but her husband did and went along with it because 'reasons'.

I agree, the split personality thing is so lazy! Also, I hate the “this character was dead all along” twist. It feels cheap.

sunburnt

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
61,919 1,042 503
Alleybux
Protagonist falls in love with someone that turns out to be the antagonist! Muahahahahaha! Usually this secret evil love interest has the perfect personality and smothers the protagonist with affection so much that when the 'twist' happens, you feel cheated and angry at the author rather than genuinely shocked or surprised.

This happened in the Red Queen and it was so mind bogglingly stupid. Couldn't believe that was supposed to be big 'wow!' moment for the reader.

'Cliches' can work as long as they are done well.

Miel007

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
21,710 650 329
Alleybux
protagonist: *has a fantastic dream linked inevitably to his/her future quest*
protagonist: it was alll a dream! BuT WhY Did It FeEl So ReAL?!

i feel like i read that thousands times lol.

East_Afriqueen

Sukuna's simp
Reaction score
Reactions
105,275 2,281 579
Alleybux
Protagonist falls in love with someone that turns out to be the antagonist! Muahahahahaha! Usually this secret evil love interest has the perfect personality and smothers the protagonist with affection so much that when the 'twist' happens, you feel cheated and angry at the author rather than genuinely shocked or surprised.

This happened in the Red Queen and it was so mind bogglingly stupid. Couldn't believe that was supposed to be big 'wow!' moment for the reader.

'Cliches' can work as long as they are done well.
Damn I had a plot like this. But the love interest wasn’t the main antagonist or affiliated with the. She just ends becoming the Bigger Bad, after the Big Bad dies

Maybe I should rework that one.

Mine is love triangles where one person is obviously the one MC is going to end up. (Think Edward and Jacob)

Last edited:

AliceV

Sith Lord
Reaction score
Reactions
31,813 408 63
Alleybux
It was the identical twin!

The Professor falls in love with their student.

Friends to lovers.

And so on...