Quantcast

What are ways to eat healthy while depressed, when you don’t have the energy or money to?

alala

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
1,092 44 13
Alleybux
I am super depressed and I keep getting bigger and bigger, which is making me even more depressed. What are your “go to” healthy struggle meals when enduring the deepest pits of despair.

FruitCake

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
35,308 964 335
Alleybux
If you can afford it, meal boxes (thats what I've been doing since quarantine) a more affordable option? Get some frozen or refrigerated premade meals you can just pop in the microwave or oven. Theyre always on sale 2/6$, 2/8$or 2/10$ where I live. and some fruits and snack bars and yogurts for snacks.

MelinaRollins

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
43,265 1,053 609
Alleybux
Get some small healthy snacks and leave them in whatever place you hang out the most. Make sure they don't have to be refrigerated unless you have a mini fridge or your hangout area is in the living room or somewhere else where the main fridge is. Some fruit is good: Mandarin Oranges, Bananas, etc. Cereal (as long as it's not the super sugary types) so you can eat it dry. Granola bars.

Also, make meals that can be stretched for a few days when you are up for cooking. Chicken Tacos are a go to since the meat can last for days and they're really good. I can't think of any other specifics right now.

chicmotivator

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
8,212 80 34
Alleybux
Healthy snacks...peanut butter and celery, I keep those seaweed (sea salt) 6 packs and Orchard Valley’s Antioxidant mix on deck as well.

Locanokalala

It's Ya Girllll
Reaction score
Reactions
89,079 4,263 1,468
Alleybux
I am super depressed and I keep getting bigger and bigger, which is making me even more depressed. What are your “go to” healthy struggle meals when enduring the deepest pits of despair.
pre seasoned meats

pre made and washed salads (buy two to three bags per week so it doesn't spoil and waste)

buying bulk anything is your friend.

Freeze dried fruits with no added sugar

nuts that are unsalted

healthy bagged microwaveable veggies

frozen fruits for smoothies

mandarins (good snack and lasts longer than lots of fruits)

snack bars

egg muffins (you can make many with 10 eggs)

muffins from the store

fiber bars

ready made oatmeal

mini ice cream cups (for ice cream portion control vs eating a whole pint. On bad days when you want to eat the whole pint and overindulge, get low calorie protein ice cream like Halo Top.

lemme know if you need anything else.

Caramel 'n' Coconut

Lover of beaches, seafood & linen.
Reaction score
Reactions
10,053 107 13
Alleybux
Chicken broth or chicken soup with veggies, veggie tray with salad dressing, frozen berries, roasted walnuts or almonds in chili powder or Cajun seasoning, scrambled eggs with salsa, green apples with nut butter, chai tea with coconut cream....

yeet

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
30,241 1,698 945
Alleybux
I would go for a basic meat and veggie meal. Chicken breast and broccoli seasoned really well. Or turkey burgers with a sweet potato. Maybe stock up on some canned veggies. Eat nuts or fruit for snack (buy it in bulk if you can it’s cheaper)

My best advice would just be to stay away from fried food and sugar as much as you can (eat in moderation) I hope you feel better op:heart:

Last edited:

Chere

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
73,936 1,567 687
Alleybux
Buy prepackaged meals that you know have just the right amount of macros to maintain a certain weight.

try to load your fridge with healthy snacks such as fruit so that even if you eat large amounts of it, you can still stay in shape

another tip outside of eating: take advantage of your “highs”
If for whatever reason you’re feeling momentarily optimistic or energetic, do something productive like clean or hop on a treadmill or some other type of exercise. This is what I do since my depression fluctuates and it helps get a positive feedback loop going because when I get a lot done or even exercise during those times, the results (clean environment, lost weight) end up further boosting my mood and keeping my depression at bay (Also exercise boosts endorphins in general) This helps because when you're feeling low again, at least your surroundings aren’t messy and your weight is more in control

Last edited:

Laaaayla

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
146,920 2,503 1,116
Alleybux
Raw fruits and veggies.

I can eat a bowl of mini peppers and grape tomatoes
Pears or mangos are a good mono meal too

PlumpRump

Sacred.
Reaction score
Reactions
53,660 2,476 2,371
Alleybux
fruits and nuts! strawberries, grapes, blueberries, black berries..
rice milk and a healthy cereal -- go to the organic aisle
oatmeal -- honey and cinammon, brown sugar, powdered ginger ( i think it helps cut fat or something)

shepherd's pies are good too.. a pre-made pie crust, lentils and ground turkey meat for the base, mashed potatoes (homemade or boxed) for the top, and cheese of course.. try to buy organic or simple truth items -- less additives.

also try adding cayenne or red pepper to your food (spaghetti, pizza, etc) -- its supposed to cut weight, i think

god bless, op.

eta: my go to food during the summer is watermelon and peanut butter...strange i know but the pb gives you protein and watermelon is just tasty, cheap and easy once you get around to cutting it. i cut it in half and go at it with a spoon.

spark1970

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
7,214 101 20
Alleybux

Hugs!

Go for Big pots, they save time, you can prep and store for later.

Ideas on the cheap:
-spaghetti in tomato sauce
-beans/rice
-stir fried rice w/ vegetables

also:
-egg salad or tuna salad for a few days in the fridge

and

-sardines
-peanut butter/celery/apple/banana

Last edited:

NomdeGuerre

This Means War
Reaction score
Reactions
15,984 37 2
Alleybux
Make sure you are getting enough water, and add some lemon or lime to it. When you get dehydrated, your brain suffers, and this can really make you feel terrible, mentally.

If you can swing it, try drinking 3 quarts of water a day, 30 minutes before you eat: 1 first thing in the morning, 1 before lunch and 1 before dinner. This helps support a healthy weight. Eliminate soda or sugary drinks, as these mess with your blood sugar, another thing that can undermine your mental poise.

Best wishes, OP!

AsoEbi

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
81,048 4,131 3,824
Alleybux
First no pressure. Don’t feel guilt if you DoorDash or Ubereats junk. Feeling guilt from that could worsen your depression. Those foods while salty greasy and fattening still serve a purpose. it can even help trigger dopamine and serotonin which is good for a depressed person.

I get SAD, so I always make sure my nalgenes are full I like it because I can know exactly how many millimeters and liters of water I drink. I don’t have the tendency to overeat so some days the only thing I’ve consumed is water. But it’s something. Also, are you taking vitamin D? This helps big time and helps with my overall energy levels. especially when the days are cloudy and dreary. It takes a couple of weeks to kick in. But trust me it’ll hold you for a while.

Hang in there! Things are looking up. The worst of winter is over. Soon you’ll be able to feel the sun on your skin. <3

DZA

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
57,028 933 445
Alleybux
Canned soups

Pre-made fruit/green smoothies. Green Goodness is the only green juice I currently drink. It tastes like pineapple juice but not as sweet and 'tangy'.

Canned veggies or frozen veggies in those microwavable steam bags.

Bagged salad kits.

Any fruits and veggies you like. Buy them pre-sliced to save time.

And last but not least, prep whatever clean food you want to eat one day a week so you'll only need to spend a few minutes reheating (if necessary). If I'm in a funk, I'll force myself to meal prep because while I enjoy canned soups and bagged salads every once in a while, I prefer my home-cooked/prepped meals. I'm not spending so much of my time and energy cooking/prepping, but I'm still eating relatively clean.

_sana

MVP
Reaction score
Reactions
2,456 34 9
Alleybux
not a meal, but whenever I have a sandwhich I"ve replaced fries/chips with halved grape tomatoes and sliced cucumbers sprinkled with everything but the bagel seasoning + pepper. its cheap, and it'll count for a serving a vegetables. this is usually my first meal of the day paired with a breakfast sandwhich/toast or a frozen tamale with fried egg and salsa.

Katia000

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
21,403 512 48
Alleybux
I keep healthy snacks in my bedside drawer for days when preparing food is overwhelming. Good post, OP :love

NomdeGuerre

This Means War
Reaction score
Reactions
15,984 37 2
Alleybux
not a meal, but whenever I have a sandwhich I"ve replaced fries/chips with halved grape tomatoes and sliced cucumbers sprinkled with everything but the bagel seasoning + pepper. its cheap, and it'll count for a serving a vegetables. this is usually my first meal of the day paired with a breakfast sandwhich/toast or a frozen tamale with fried egg and salsa.

That reminds me, I use seedless grapes for PB&J, instead of jam/jelly. It may sound a little odd, but it is delicious-- juicy and just a little tart, which cuts against the pb. Plus far less sugar.

LieslAlbrecht

Sometimes you feel like a nut…
Reaction score
Reactions
67,719 1,114 382
Alleybux
Never underestimate a satisfying big as salad for lunch. Boxed or bagged greens, baby cut carrots, cucumbers( in a 2pk for $2), sunflower seeds for crunch, corn, canned chickpeas /garbanzo beans baked on a sheet pan with a little spice, radishes, parsnips, cilantro, celery, avocado if it’s on sale, chopped tomato, chopped boiled egg. make your own olive oil based dressing with apple cider vinegar and mustard and herbs/spice, etc. Mix and match a new one everyday.

Anthy

Mrs. Ramsay
Reaction score
Reactions
25,301 521 62
Alleybux
Frozen vegetables. The ones that you can just throw the bag in the microwave. Instant brown rice. They make them in little portion cups so you don't even have to measure it. Salmon and tuna packs. Fruits help. Yogurt cups. Try having just little snacks because meals can be intimidating. If you have a day where you are more motivated, make a big pot of something and put it away. Don't feel too bad about indulging sometimes. You are doing the best you can.

freedreamz

go touch grass
Reaction score
Reactions
1,261 46 14
Alleybux
I try to listen to my cravings as much as possible bc it’s so hard for eat anything when I’m depressed. I try to buy snacks and meals that take under 10 min to make so lots of buttered noodles, fruit, baby carrots,soup, wheat thins etc all kind of plain but also things I can dress up to satisfy my cravings.

also the easier childhood meals help me a lot for some reason. every once in a while i’ll make hot water cornbread or salmon croquettes since they’re on the lighter side of our foods, just to feel something again

vaguebeaut

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
175,969 2,936 1,237
Alleybux
Salad, soup, smoothies. If you don't feel like cooking, you can try ordering your groceries for delivery and getting pre-made salads and bottled smoothies.

Sallie Blair

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
449,351 14,182 6,597
Alleybux

Get moving, tbh. Release some endorphins with dancing or walking or just twirling around in a circle for a few minutes.

Food isn't the source of your weight gain or depression, it's how you're trying to solve it.

Also: Therapy For Black Girls

Digging4gold

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
23,358 1,406 620
Alleybux
I have always been an emotional eater. Intermittent fasting saved my life! I started eating one meal a day of whatever I wanted. When I have cravings at night, I write them down on a piece of paper. Then I eat that meal the next day! It has built my discipline and my self confidence. Almost 250 days later and I have lost over 50 pounds. I have had 5 days in the last 250 days that I have eaten two meals a day. But other than that, I have stuck to it. Intermittent fasting has allowed me to eat the foods that I love and still lose weight.