Quantcast

What did insecure have over she's gotta have it?

PCutie93

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
Alleybux
Mmh really? I haven’t gotten into “She’s Gotta Have It” but I do enjoy “Insecure”.

AstoldbyWind

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
195,748 5,011 1,177
Alleybux
I like SGHI more than insecure but it was extremely artistic. It seem like it was a disconnect from the orginal writers and my generation. A lot of the storylines were rushed as well. I feel like it the gentrification storyline took over the whole plot too. With better and younger writers that show wouldve been great. Her friends was also terrible people. SGHI seems like what my parents imagine my generation is doing instead of what we actually are doing.

That fake butt plot was TERRIBLE. Plastic surgery is a problem with my generation but they went about it dumb. It was very dumb.

Last edited:

Makeupmuva

Pretty Rich B*tch That's Easily Triggered
Reaction score
Reactions
76,832 4,113 1,066
Alleybux
I barely remember SGHI, it wasn't a memorable series to me and I didn't like the story line. And the end of season 1 was weird af. Insecure has a more relatable story and cast and the situations are more fleshed out. In season 1 of SGHI they basically portrayed Nola as very promiscuous and flighty which isn't appealing to most viewers imo. If you look back at all seasons for insecure it seems more realistic.

LurkingLark

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
19,743 417 98
Alleybux
I tried to watch SGHI several times but it was just kind of boring for me. I wanted to be into it so badly but ugh... Nola Darling just was not doing it for me.

Insecure has it's issues and personally I feel like they make some really juvenile mistakes, but somehow Issa and her group all remind me of at least one person I know. Moody Molly, funny ass Kelly, messy Issa, and aggravating ass Tiffany.

HeByHooray

Team Owner
BANNED
Reaction score
Reactions
33,037 80 47
Alleybux
I just got into insecure last week and finished three seasons in a week ...listen she's gotta have it on Netflix premiered in 2016 same year as insecure ?? I don't understand how did she's gotta have it get canceled and it's basically the same plot just two different coast and Issa actually was more stable than Nola and wasn't ass dumb and both shows had awesome soundtracks but the xes scenes in season 2 of she's gotta have it was a little too much .....

Two different shows how are they the same? Season 2 sucked and to be honest people wasn't feeling Nola being a lesbian like that.

LaGrandeDame

Where Surry County Lives
Reaction score
Reactions
243,797 6,061 2,384
Alleybux
SGHI was a groundbreaking movie (for better or otherwise) that birthed a weighty legacy that the TV adaptation struggled to live up to (which is a main reason why I am vehemently anti-reboot).

Insecure, in spite of having ABG roots via onscreen and BTS talent, didn't have larger-than-life baggage that prevented it from withstanding the stumbles that come from the growing pains of a show.

seatwn

No gym!!! Drs orders
Reaction score
Reactions
3,433 221 179
Alleybux
I loved the first season of SGHI, more than any season of insecure. I didn’t watch the second season because I don’t have any interest in watching a lesbian couple.

CarrieSadshaw

Team Owner
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
67,792 3,119 1,360
Alleybux
Simple, Insecure’s writers are millennials. It’s for us by us. SGHI had a bunch of older folks in the writers room. It felt like millennial cosplay, you could feel the writers disapproval of young folks and our antics.

Rea

MVP
Reaction score
Reactions
7,825 262 65
Alleybux
The theatrics onscreen and offscreen. The way we kikid when Sarunas got the bank teller pregnant in real life? Like whetttt

Yaki1B

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
55,754 1,333 1,033
Alleybux
SGHI was written in that artsy fartsy, poetic way ( idk how else to describe it) and that made it hard to get into .

lol idk how else to describe it but It had that spike lee signature way of story telling and I’ve never been a fan of that

Plus Nola’s character was annoying and I couldn’t relate to her on any level

Agreed, while Insecure is somewhat basic storytelling SGHI was too much for me. Season 1 was enjoyable but Spike Lee's way is team too much and odd.

Yaki1B

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
55,754 1,333 1,033
Alleybux
Simple, Insecure’s writers are millennials. It’s for us by us. SGHI had a bunch of older folks in the writers room. It felt like millennial cosplay, you could feel the writers disapproval of young folks and our antics.

Great way of putting it.

Yaki1B

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
55,754 1,333 1,033
Alleybux
The SHGI writer's room had some talented black women (Lynn Nottage, Radha Blank), but they were older than the main character. That distance hampered the writing a lot imho. I also felt like the story never felt organic or fully realized because it was trying to address too many things at once in a way that didn't meld together.

I think shows tend to be more successful when there are people closer to the target demographic involved closely in the production/writing like with Insecure, Skins, Never Have I Ever (they have a bunch of younger writers aside from the two co-creators).

Insecure is an example of "great artists steal". Issa doesn't hide that she knows there have been other shows about black female friendship set in LA. (I mean she sings the Girlfriends theme song in the pilot). And she picks up where they left off and runs with it. I'd venture she accomplishes the same or greater emotional impact that Mara did with less episodes.

Absolutely. I relate to the romantic relationship and friendship highs and woes in Insecure moreso than I ever could with Living Single and Girlfriends because they were much older than me. However, Insecure is happening in the timeframe where I am trying to find myself and more meaning, much like the characters. I'm at an age where there are facing the same experiences.

She's Gotta Have IT was told in such an odd and artful way and I have not really been a fan of it. It seems like an art house series than something I'd relax and watch and relate with.

secretpanda

Don’t waste your time fool I’ll put you on ignore!
Reaction score
Reactions
46,574 1,414 908
Alleybux
SGHI was great for me in season 1. It made me want to pack up my bag and move to NY. Season 2? Lol.

Insecure is more relatable though. Everyone can relate to Issa and Molly. I thought I was the only one who rapped in the mirror...

NY_Mami

Not Desus DAMMIT!
Reaction score
Reactions
465,387 8,909 2,622
Alleybux
I loved She’s Gotta Have It and am still mad that it got cancelled...

Season 1 of She’s Gotta Have It... It was all beautiful... Nola however needed to give her pussy a rest... three men and one woman???... lol...

I will admit I didn’t binge on Season 2 because it was everywhere... I finished though... I did love the show because that’s my borough being depicted and it exhibited a lot of how Native Brooklynites are tackling with Gentrification... so that is familiarity with me...

I also love how the show highlighted the works of legendary and emerging Black Artists... the pretentiousness and the artsy fartsy ness of the show was a lot to do because Nola was an artist dealing with the art world... that is a very pretentious world... but it was nice to see Black people actively involved in the art world... because we don’t see it often represented on tv shows... especially considering that the mainstream can’t seem to name another Black contemporary artist other than Basquiat...

I also love how it showcased the story behind all of Nola’s artworks... the last piece in Season 2 was a shock factor... I would have loved to see how Nola dealt with the backlash in Season 3 because it wasn’t well received by her friends and her peers....

I also loved how the show paid tribute to all of the music played... and the scene in Season 1 where Nola went to the cemetery and laid flowers on the graves of Black Icons...

Season 2 was all over the place but it wasn’t bad... Spike Lee caught heat for the scene where Nola and her British Bae got into a discussion about how Black Americans and Black Brits deal with racism...

Also I believe Nola would have eventually had a threesome with Grier and his Amber Rose look alike bae(the actress that played her is a real artist here in Brooklyn so she most likely got free promo of her art just by being on the show. Which makes me believe all of the other artists featured on the show work was real)...

Also Nola needed to let her pussy breathe... three men and one woman???... Lol

BlakHoney

Rookie
Reaction score
Reactions
197 14 5
Alleybux
Haven't watched either show, but this is common in TV. One that I remember is Empire and Power; both shows are similar but one had more popularity/views due to either marketing or broadcast network. So honestly Fox vs STARZ, more people have access to Fox soo . . . . And if I recall Insecure had a stint on Youtube before being picked up so that also could add to it's popularity as one of the earlier indie projects that gained traction in the budding internet age.

ChildsToni

I look good, I smell good, I feel good..haaa
Reaction score
Reactions
28,252 943 64
Alleybux
For me Nola was annoying and not really relatable. Something about it just didn’t flow for me. Ive tried numerous times to get through season 2. Still havent. I had so much hope for it.

pettylamarr

unfriendly black nerd
Reaction score
Reactions
14,602 361 53
Alleybux
I haven’t watched Insecure at all, but I think I want to start or try.

What’s the best and cheapest way to get it? Do I have to buy the season on Amazon Prime or Netflix?

Why did this question get downvoted? Lol anyway. I usually just sign up for the free week trial HBOGO offers and binge watch it.

mdmommy99

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
41,463 765 270
Alleybux
SGHI was written in that artsy fartsy, poetic way ( idk how else to describe it) and that made it hard to get into .

lol idk how else to describe it but It had that spike lee signature way of story telling and I’ve never been a fan of that

Yes, to the bolded. Other than the fact that they both have a young, black woman lead, I don't think the two shows are comparable for that reason. SGHI is a very stylistic drama, which makes it a lot less relatable (the movie was the same to me tbh which is why I can't get into it either).

On the other hand, Insecure's goal is to be relatable. It is also comedic. Whether you like it or not, the storytelling is a lot easier to digest and follow.

AmusedByIdiocy

Sense and Sensibility
Reaction score
Reactions
222,180 7,126 2,872
Alleybux
Why did this question get downvoted? Lol anyway. I usually just sign up for the free week trial HBOGO offers and binge watch it.

Chile, who knows, lol. Thanks!
The day after I asked I did some googling and signed up for a free week trial of HBONOW. I’ve been bingeing ever since.

CCMe2004

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
40,986 877 702
Alleybux
I think Insecure is a better produced show overall. The writing, the humor, the cinematography, the lighting, the fashion, and the soundtrack are just lightyears above other shows out there. The only other Black show that compared to it in those categories is Queen Sugar. I think these two shows chronicling Black women's experiences are top notch right now.

lbudden

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
7,173 511 194
Alleybux
She’s gotta have it was super corny. And the cast was snooty! Chyna layne character was idiotic.

UnderstatedBri

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
255,825 4,014 3,156
Alleybux
I dont think She's gotta have it and Insecure are anything alike except the fact they have black women leads. They are telling totally different stories. One is more socio-political and the other is about a black millennials just trying to figure their sh!t out.

Filthy McNasty

Unbothered
Reaction score
Reactions
43,539 1,436 192
Alleybux

Right, a lot of times, it felt like a bunch of Gen-X writers logged onto Black Twitter threads and tried to place random conversations from there randomly into the script. Nola was flighty and somewhat unlikeable to be the protagonist. I hated how she treated Opal...Insecure feels more grounded and lighthearted and relatable. It certainly has its flaws, but is easier to digest, if that makes any sense

CakeSlice

The term "of colour" is a nothing burger.
Reaction score
Reactions
144,502 6,658 6,182
Alleybux
My OPINION:

I like Issa, her other work and want her to do well. I didn't have this connection with Nola in SGHI.

The writers of Insecure have studied screenwriting... so they make better writers.

The show has 2 leads for you to choose from which also makes the plot thicker, more dynamic and engaging. When you were fed up with Nola, that was it.

The Insecure subject matters are more compelling and relatable.

I could NOT see Nola Darling as realistic. She was too carefree.

bayougirl

HBIC
Reaction score
Reactions
1,712 11 4
Alleybux
I just got into insecure last week and finished three seasons in a week ...listen she's gotta have it on Netflix premiered in 2016 same year as insecure ?? I don't understand how did she's gotta have it get canceled and it's basically the same plot just two different coast and Issa actually was more stable than Nola and wasn't ass dumb and both shows had awesome soundtracks but the xes scenes in season 2 of she's gotta have it was a little too much .....
She’s Gotta Have It was too preachy. Too many plot holes. And it’s a story about a young woman written by middle aged people. They don’t know our struggles. The lead character, Nola Darling, is an asshole. I could go on but there were so many things wrong with this show.

rebelle

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
3,685 72 57
Alleybux
I liked the first season of SGHI. When NOLA invited all her men to dinner, I was on the floor. Despite it, SGHI seemed way too mystical to me. It was literally Nola’s world and her problems. As a watcher, I couldn’t relate.

I have yet to tap into Insecure. I see the zillions of conversations going on around twitter so for a show to spark thought the way it does, is a plus to me. I will be back on that.

geek2chic

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
15,873 745 72
Alleybux
Fans of the movie " She's Gotta Have It " were not here for the remake really. Spike should have known better if you ask me but I guess the check was good.

They shouldn't have named the series something other than She's Gotta Have It because remakes or reboots are always going to be judged based on the original. That was a huge reason for it tanking.

Willia

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
70,880 1,987 1,222
Alleybux
Most of the characters in she’s gotta have it were insufferable. Nola darling wasn’t really likeable and none of the people she dated were either.

I can at least connect with some of the people/scenarios in insecure. I really wanted to like SGHI but the only thing that kept me watching was seeing Brooklyn In the summer because I miss it.
Honestly, NOLA darling herself was extremely insufferable. I actually vehemently disliked Dewanda Wise outside of her character portrayal due to it, lol! It was always something with her. I loved the way it was shot but I think the acting was so bad and her character.....Nola was so annoying.

Jamdowngyal

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
Alleybux
Fans of the movie " She's Gotta Have It " were not here for the remake really. Spike should have known better if you ask me but I guess the check was good.

It would have made more sense to have the show about the original Nola's daughter or grandaughter the topics of the movie were risque for their time. Nothing edgy about a woman with multiple partners in the 2000's The Mars character is super dated and annoying and overall the writing was so forced.

City of Dreams

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
55,793 1,034 658
Alleybux
SGHI was horrible. There was no part of that show that actually worked. Insecure is...it works for the times we are in.

Reaction score
Reactions
3,829 113 47
Alleybux
Season 2 of She’s Gotta Have It was horrible and boring, I found myself skipping through. Season 1 was great though.

Insecure has lowkey been getting better as the seasons go by, except this season which has been like meh for me

My sentiments exactly!

_futch

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
642 33 13
Alleybux
Insecure is hilarious and very relatable. To me there's no other show that black women can really relate to. If you can't relate to Issa like I do that's fine but I'm sure you'll relate to someone on that show. It's also realistic and reminds me of my group of friends. I also followed Issa from Awkward Black Girl on YouTube. Her come up is inspiring and I'll support anything she does.

Yellow

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
44,022 1,040 1,515
Alleybux

I couldn’t figure out how to describe it but you summed it up perfectly. I could usually tolerate it in Spike Lee’s other work it just came off as pretentious and cringe in SGHI.

Bunnni

MVP
Reaction score
Reactions
6,541 79 81
Alleybux
She's Gotta Have It felt like it was written by a much older generation and their perceived idea of what millennial black people are like.

insecure was more authentic imo.

herbalmintea

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
171,786 7,962 1,970
Alleybux
The first season of SGHI was okay but the second season was terrible. I didn't really like any of the characters on the show, especially Nola. She was too immature, too selfish, and too irresponsible. I like a lot of characters on Insecure. They're flawed but they have positive traits as well. Also, I feel like Spike Lee was trying to spread an agenda to black women to be mules but not to expect anything in return. Don't expect to be respected and don't expect a good relationship with a black man. Not exactly a good show to make in a time where more and more black women are starting to improve their lives more and more.

NoZee4875

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
33,017 683 96
Alleybux
Ima have to go watch SGHI now. I had no idea there was a remake. I’m not sure what to feel about the current season of Insecure but the first two were solid. She is hella awkward and unsure of herself at times. She doesn’t have her sh!t together at all, the racial disconnect from her coworkers and being at a crossroad with her relationship with Lawrence. Idk, but I could relate to Issa in a way and that’s why I don’t miss an episode.

Dogtown

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
66,533 3,616 2,393
Alleybux
There wasn’t enough balance in SGTHI. It had it’s times when there were great scenes and moments. Then when season 2 came out it was too much. It was too serious. I saw the vision he was trying to put out there but he didn’t present it in the right way. I like Spike Lee better for movies not a tv show.

I was under the impression he had turned alot of the reins over to his wife and her friends and that they made it their passion project. Spike came under alot of fire fro some of the gender elements of SGHI the movie, so he wanted women to be at the front of the writing alongside him. That's why so much of it was heavy-handed with the messaging and seriousness. They forgot to just write a funny show with a good story.