Quantcast

What did insecure have over she's gotta have it?

Princessjones19

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
53,450 2,981 248
Alleybux
I was a kid when living single & girlfriends aired ,but when I became of age I related to both groups of friends ! I was in a situation just like Mya was I got caught cheating which got got me put out ...but girlfriends had a more serious tone and I believe they were 30+ from what I read about Living single they weren't mid to late 20s on that show

Dogtown

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
66,536 3,617 2,393
Alleybux
I was a kid when living single & girlfriends aired ,but when I became of age I related to both groups of friends ! I was in a situation just like Mya was I got caught cheating which got got me put out ...but girlfriends had a more serious tone and I believe they were 30+ from what I read about Living single they weren't mid to late 20s on that show

I think the Girlfriends characters were supposed to be late 20s when the show started, because that's how old most of the actresses were (just looked it up, their birth years range between 1970 and 1975).

Itsmeokay

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
155,222 5,150 1,146
Alleybux
I like SGHI but yeah, those writers did date themselves at times. Someone mentioned a jimmy hat and getting some trim. I couldn't

IMO, season 2 fell apart because too much time had passed between the seasons. I don't think that was the fault of the cast and Spike though. This was some shady sh!t on Nexflix's part. Dewanda and Spike danced around it but never explicitly called it out because I'm guessing they wanted to maintain a good relationship with Nexflix.

I follow many of the cast members and they started shooting right after the success of season 1 but Netflix never released the episodes. The fans started asking questions and Netflix finally relented but by then so much time had passed and so much had happened, they had to rewrite much of the script. Someone commented on FB that season 2 was actually Season 3, there wasn't Season 2, that's why there were these huge gaps and certain storylines made no sense.

Layah

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
18,071 1,099 995
Alleybux
Tried to watch SGHI and couldn’t get past the first episode.

I used to be a loyal watcher of Insecure during the first 2 seasons... now I barely watch it. I didn’t bother to watch season 3 and season 4, I catch when I can. I’m upset they turned this show into a complete snooze fest. It’s just so boring now. And they also need longer episodes! These 22-24 minutes episodes just don’t cut it. And they should dive more into Kelli and Tiffany personal lives. They need more storylines.

Vanimex

Hermit mode
Reaction score
Reactions
9,259 106 20
Alleybux
Insecure has Issa Rae and she has loyal following. We enjoyed The MisAdventures of the Awkward Black Girl because we could all relate. Anyone with a corporate job could relate to the characters in those 5 minutes skits.

Issa knows how to make relatable characters that we fall in love with!

Who can forget

-- Boss Lady, Germy Patty, Baby Voice, NINA, the temporary employee doing too much, etc. Hilarious timeless content!

Yes, this! I watched her during her Youtube days and she was always relatable and brought a fresh perspective in a way that very few were doing. That same energy was brought into Insecure. I'm not sure why it's even being compared to She's Gotta Have It.

RATED

Reaction score
Reactions
159,509 8,857 5,576
Alleybux
Insecure has Issa Rae and she has loyal following. We enjoyed The MisAdventures of the Awkward Black Girl because we could all relate. Anyone with a corporate job could relate to the characters in those 5 minutes skits.

Issa knows how to make relatable characters that we fall in love with!

Who can forget

-- Boss Lady, Germy Patty, Baby Voice, NINA, the temporary employee doing too much, etc. Hilarious timeless content!
Spot on. Miss these days!

PrudencePuci

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
10,794 557 189
Alleybux
I tend to like originals better than remakes. I couldn’t get through the first season with Nola darling

PoopsieD

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
97,445 2,840 151
Alleybux
I’m a viewer of both shows but I can honestly say I’m not a fan of neither. A lot of black shows today lean on the drama side so I do like ones that are the opposite. So that can explain why I watch(ed) both of them.

What Insecure has going for it is social media. I like that everyone is watching it and I have a show to discuss with everyone. I haven’t had a show discussed on my Twitter TL like this since Scandal. But I do find Insecure dull. Especially when comparing it with Issa’s other work “Awkward Black Girl.” ABG was hilarious and I found the office aspect of it relatable. A lot of that is missing from Insecure.

She’s Gotta Have It fell victim to Spike Lee’s creative liberties. Season 1 was okay. But Season 2 was all over the place. I hated that Nola’s friends all seemed one dimensional, I hated that random episode in Puerto Rico, and I hated the painting and conversation surrounding it in the last episode. I don’t think Spike is meant for TV.

All that being said neither show has compelling characters or actors I care about. I recent binged A Different World once again and I was amazed. This show was made before I was born yet I can still relate, like, and sympathize with the characters. There’s no one I truly dislike and I find most the storylines still fresh. They just don’t make shows like that anymore.

NiteshadeJazz

Starter
BANNED
Reaction score
Reactions
1,794 105 63
Alleybux
I like both but Insecure better because of the comedic factor. She’s gotta have it is political and can get too heavy at times although I haven’t watched the new season. This thread reminded me to watch it so thanks.

RichNatural

Wealth is silent, you gaudy label wh0res are poor
Reaction score
Reactions
279,597 7,250 820
Alleybux
I couldn't get into She's Gotta Have It, OP. The first season kept me interested, but I couldn't cling to the 2nd one. I'm not the right audience for that show. The artsy soliloquys and monologues ... the random bouts of spoken word ... breaking the "third wall" ...

"Raqueletta Moss this ... Raqueletta Moss that ... "

I know there's an audience of people who love She's Gotta Have it and dig its poetic nature and rhythmic script, but that's just not my steez.

Insecure has its downsides, too, but I enjoy it more for some reason. Issa Rae isn't the best actress, but the show is hilarious AF and the music selection is A1. Rae's always had a special place in my heart since ABG.

Last edited:

ShashalovesCats

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
173,638 2,693 348
Alleybux
I just got into insecure last week and finished three seasons in a week ...listen she's gotta have it on Netflix premiered in 2016 same year as insecure ?? I don't understand how did she's gotta have it get canceled and it's basically the same plot just two different coast and Issa actually was more stable than Nola and wasn't ass dumb and both shows had awesome soundtracks but the xes scenes in season 2 of she's gotta have it was a little too much .....

I watched the first season of both shows and Insecure has characters that move like people. Ironically, there is a higher level of craftsmanship in Insecure because the characters talk and move like people would. In she's gotta have it there was a lot of posturing and preaching and it was tiring at the end.

And season 2 of SGHI sounded crappy based on what other people were saying.

Ari3s

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
32,211 672 366
Alleybux
SGHI was too theatric. Nola was insufferable, pretentious and her overall personality wasn’t relatable. She was weird.

Princessjones19

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
53,450 2,981 248
Alleybux
Nola was very hardheaded and spoiled (smh) and in real life a man like Jamie wouldn't be interested in Nola mainly for (xesual things) the show wasn't really realistic

Magical Unicorn

Rihanna's Marshmallow
Reaction score
Reactions
67,060 1,837 896
Alleybux
I found the main character in SGHI insufferable. It just wasn't fun or interesting to watch, I stopped like most people around the beginning of season 2

PoeticGoddess

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
69,608 2,256 1,739
Alleybux
I’m glad to see this thread. I’m liking, “She’s Gotta Have It.” I have never watched Insecure but I am going to check it out.

niki

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
21,262 488 181
Alleybux
Spike does not do a good job writing female characters. I have not liked any of his movies that had female leads. She’s Gotta Have it, Girl 6; I don’t like either of those movies. Crooklyn is great but I think Spike’s sister wrote that movie, correct me if I am wrong.

I am a Issa Rae fan since her days on YouTube so I watch Insecure to support her. I find Insecure to be boring sometimes but I still watch because I like Issa and I think she is talented.

ElizabethTheII

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
23,159 747 476
Alleybux
I loved She’s Gotta Have It and am still mad that it got cancelled...

Season 1 of She’s Gotta Have It... It was all beautiful... Nola however needed to give her pussy a rest... three men and one woman???... lol...

I will admit I didn’t binge on Season 2 because it was everywhere... I finished though... I did love the show because that’s my borough being depicted and it exhibited a lot of how Native Brooklynites are tackling with Gentrification... so that is familiarity with me...

I also love how the show highlighted the works of legendary and emerging Black Artists... the pretentiousness and the artsy fartsy ness of the show was a lot to do because Nola was an artist dealing with the art world... that is a very pretentious world... but it was nice to see Black people actively involved in the art world... because we don’t see it often represented on tv shows... especially considering that the mainstream can’t seem to name another Black contemporary artist other than Basquiat...

I also love how it showcased the story behind all of Nola’s artworks... the last piece in Season 2 was a shock factor... I would have loved to see how Nola dealt with the backlash in Season 3 because it wasn’t well received by her friends and her peers....

I also loved how the show paid tribute to all of the music played... and the scene in Season 1 where Nola went to the cemetery and laid flowers on the graves of Black Icons...

Season 2 was all over the place but it wasn’t bad... Spike Lee caught heat for the scene where Nola and her British Bae got into a discussion about how Black Americans and Black Brits deal with racism...

Also I believe Nola would have eventually had a threesome with Grier and his Amber Rose look alike bae(the actress that played her is a real artist here in Brooklyn so she most likely got free promo of her art just by being on the show. Which makes me believe all of the other artists featured on the show work was real)...

Also Nola needed to let her pussy breathe... three men and one woman???... Lol
THIS!

Dial Body wash

#Lawrencehive
Reaction score
Reactions
57,631 7,193 17,996
Alleybux
SGHI was too much Spike Lee which means too dogmatically political, too much artsy fartsy cinematography, awkward monologs, pointless scenes that could be better used to develop characters, the corniest dialog, unnecessary drama and annoying characters.

No one was likeable, the 2 season storyline went absolutely no where and the ending was embarrassingly bad and oversold.

Princessjones19

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
53,450 2,981 248
Alleybux
I wonder will the episodes that didn’t make it to Netflix be put out one day & she’s gotta have it would’ve did better on Hulu or bet+ ?

LalaSharp

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
283,639 13,170 1,667
Alleybux
I just binged all the seasons of Insecure a couple times, got caught up in all the characters and old social media posts and tried to watch She's Gotta Have It and didn't make it past 10 minutes. That opening with the characters talking to the camera in Spike Lee fashion but saying overtly nasty stuff was a turn-off.

Shezsolovely

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
65,122 2,551 1,073
Alleybux
I think it had more of a millennial feel to it. I could relate more to Insecure than she’s gotta have it. The struggles with her job, finding her passion, finding love and letting go of old love. So many themes to Insecure that she’s gotta have it, does not have.