Quantcast

What Do A Lot of Y'all Have Against The Parkers?

Rich Miss

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
11,141 310 63
Alleybux
I don't like how they made Kim overly dumb. When she was on Moesha, she wasn't the "smartest" but she was great comedic relief. But later on in the Parkers, they went overboard to the point it wasn't funny. She was a cariacature (sp)

On and On and On and On...
Reaction score
Reactions
95,968 4,159 569
Alleybux
It was unrealistic and a little goofy, but I don't think the show was meant to be taken too seriously. It allowed Countess and Monique to show their comedic talent and Countess got the opportunity to sing here and there.

LilPennyGirl

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
69,083 1,794 231
Alleybux
girl I was all over LSA I wanted to find out why Countess didn't have any big roles following the Parkers...old LSA tea has it that something happened during a table read between Will Smith and Countess and basically with his power in Hollywood had her blackballed. smfh….let me go look for the thread here and she even lowkey mentioned it on Hollywood Divas.

I just don't like what happened to her perky voice she just looks so depressed on Instagram sometimes :( I want all the best for her.

He didn't have her blackballed, but he did kick her out of the table reading. She was improving too much and cracking too many jokes.

yeswhatisit

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
11,093 519 65
Alleybux
It’s just a horrible show to me. Sure I watched it when I was a teen and thought it was funny (even though I could have went without Stevie being on the show) but now I’m older and realized how silly and stereotypical it was. I can’t even watch it now without cringing. And this not the only show I feel this way about. I remembered the show always having strong criticism towards it when it premiered. Yes, it was awesome seeing another plus size Black woman be the star of her show but it would have been even nicer to see her not chasing down and xesually harassing a man making a fool of herself. I understand some bigger women do chase down men. Lord knows I put on my clown suit and done it. But it would have been powerful to see her on that show just having a normal healthy dating life. And watching Countess shucking and jiving on the show is also exhausting.

Yeah I get it’s just comedy but I mean Idk it’s like they could have wrote her and the professor having a playful innocent love/hate thing towards each other or them two dating and navigating all aspects of having a relationship. I just feel they didn’t have to pick that weird Steve Urkel/Laura type plot of the show.

Var

Varsity James
Reaction score
Reactions
6,824 264 471
Alleybux
I love The Parkers.

I just feel like Nikki had better men she could’ve dedicated her time to besides ugly Professa Oglevee.

Having way finer men practically worshipping you but choosing the man that called you a stalker for 99% of the show <<<<<

Stanley Oglevee over Kenny? I think tf not.

Boom. That's what ruined the show.

Var

Varsity James
Reaction score
Reactions
6,824 264 471
Alleybux
Stanley hated Nicki so much that he fell in love with her. He never wanted her to be happy without him, despite hating her. Every time she did better or moved on, he would go bizerk. He was insane because he thought he was fine af, established, and just as obsessed with Nicki.

Kim was hot in the ass but slow minded. She was too thirsty in the beginning then was never satisfied in her relationships. They really didn't know what to do with Kim but Countess played the hell out of that character. I was surprised she was so reserved on Hollywood Divas.

They always dressed Andelle down and there was no reason she couldn't get a man. She was successful but suppose to be frumpy because of her size. Had a restaurant, a house, money and cars. Yet viewed as a loser for being single. Nonsense.

Stevie is a good character but her character constantly being referred to as "honorary black" because she had a booty and family issues irked my soul.

T liked Kim & Stevie but then he didn't, yet his joke was always saying they needed a man. His character stayed in sus situations. His character was the funniest to me.

They reinforced the most annoying stereotypes. So when they tried to be serious it wasn't serious to me.

No one can out act Shaquilla aka Kyla Pratt's character. I can watch that episode 100 times and cry laughing 100 times.

Var

Varsity James
Reaction score
Reactions
6,824 264 471
Alleybux
Nicki was financially irresponsible and I hate that she took over Kim's place.

DryHumor

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
10,985 790 424
Alleybux
I wish there were more references to Moesha. That show came out when I was a child, so I didn't watch it. After watching the whole series on Netflix, I wasn't even aware The Parkers was a spin-off. Hakeem was in a few episodes, and MO, Frank, and Dee were in one. Of course, if you had never watched Moesha like me, you wouldn't have known who they were.

DryHumor

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
10,985 790 424
Alleybux
Did y'all know that Jenna Von Oy (Stevie) left her husband after having 2 kids together, and is now involved with a woman?

ETA:

@brandiBOW here is the evidence.

You can skim her instagram and see pics of her and her husband, and then it changes to her and this woman.

I always thought she was sexy! I'm glad to know she likes women lol.

dg404

Only Here for Beauty Salon Alley
Reaction score
Reactions
3,444 99 44
Alleybux
I wish they recognized much sooner that Kim wasn't going to graduate. It would've been nice to see her start her fashion stuff much sooner.

I kind of wish freestyle unity got some major radio play for a one hit wonder sort of storyline.

It was wrong af for Nikki to marry oglevee while her fiance is standing right there!!! I remember hating that as a kid.
The realest thing andell ever did was lock him in the closet. Too bad he got out.

There are plenty of things to dissect and mull over, but it was a product of it's time, and when I watch it in that kind frame I can enjoy it.

deep1

Serial Thanker
Reaction score
Reactions
161,620 5,572 5,243
Alleybux
People had an issue with the Parkers, never got that from here.

Show was hilarious as hell and I loved the early 2000s, late 90s fashions from the show. Nikki always looked stylish.

I've always thought Countess had great comedic timing, not just a fab singer, I'd rather watch the Parkers than Moesha. The Parkers was a much funnier show.

Lilac80330

Act up and I'll tell you to go to bed!
Reaction score
Reactions
64,932 1,092 117
Alleybux
I just find it cringey and exhausting watching someone perpetually going after some dude who doesn't want her :sick:. Do you not get the hint ma'am?

This is why I could never really watch a full episode of this show or more than one because it's like...really?!

deep1

Serial Thanker
Reaction score
Reactions
161,620 5,572 5,243
Alleybux
People must have forgotten, she played a child genius on 227 as Alexandria. Countess is pretty versatile with her roles and criminally underrated.

bxxcd

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
47,825 979 136
Alleybux
I didn’t know it wasn’t liked.... :laughing:I enjoyed it and thought it was hilarious.

MissClavel

SomethinIsNotRight
Reaction score
Reactions
125,446 6,775 4,080
Alleybux
The Parkers is funny AF I watch it pretty much every day when I’m home. Y’all take this sh!t to seriously and Andell is funny AF

GOLDENPARKER

WAYMENT.
Reaction score
Reactions
28,628 428 319
Alleybux
lmao that's what I wanted to know too lmao.
this show is the ish. it's hilarious.

HoneyButta

Blessed and Highly Favored!
Reaction score
Reactions
114,704 3,164 906
Alleybux
Mo'nique and Countess stayed looking well-groomed for sure. I am still a fan of the Parkers. "hey, Professor Ogelvie"

HoneyButta

Blessed and Highly Favored!
Reaction score
Reactions
114,704 3,164 906
Alleybux
It breaks my heart to watch that show and know Yvette Wilson is gone. . Her and Monique were hilarious together.
I just read that Katt Williams took Yvette into his home and cared for her the whole time she was sick, until she died. Blessings to that brother.

You never know what someone is doing or has done for someone else because everybody don't go bragging and gossiping to SM about stuff like that.

raenelle

Happy Dancer
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
30,669 689 23
Alleybux
That damn ending!!!

Nikki chased after Professor Oglevee's lame ass all through the series. The minute she finally decided to move on from him (to a fine ass man too!!). the "Professa" decided he wanted to be with Nikki...on her wedding day too!!! And she left that gorgeous man at the alter to be with Oglevee. That mess hurt my spirit. I get mad thinking about that mess still, lol!!!

Last edited:

FemmeKween

ooooh, caresha, why they laughing?
Reaction score
Reactions
16,733 146 55
Alleybux
They always dressed Andelle down and there was no reason she couldn't get a man. She was successful but suppose to be frumpy because of her size. Had a restaurant, a house, money and cars. Yet viewed as a loser for being single. Nonsense.

Stevie is a good character but her character constantly being referred to as "honorary black" because she had a booty and family issues irked my soul.

T liked Kim & Stevie but then he didn't, yet his joke was always saying they needed a man. His character stayed in sus situations. His character was the funniest to me.

They reinforced the most annoying stereotypes. So when they tried to be serious it wasn't serious to me.
People can rag on Moesha all they want, but this is something Moesha, as a show, got right. As someone who thoroughly enjoyed both shows, it seemed as if The Parkers didn't know how to balance the funny with the serious. The show was so dedicated to being funny they didn't give the audience an incentive to be invested in their serious moments. Moesha had funny moments and everyone would ki-ki and get their lives; but when the serious moments went down, you bought how serious it was. Not to mention the fact that it seemed as if Moesha had actual long-term consequences to the serious moments whereas The Parkers only did certain serious things in one episode and it's never talked about again afterwards. There were so many things that happened in The Parkers that were dropped suddenly and it's almost like they never happened. When something serious happens, it didn't matter because no one's going to bring it up again anyway so why should we care in the first place? Which is probably why it was difficult for the audience to feel compelled to feel strongly about it.

For example, remember Michael? Michael was Kim's first love on Moesha that linked back up with Kim in The Parkers. So then, they rekindled their flame and then he died. But they didn't have any scenes where Kim grieved Michael. There may have been a scene here or there in the following episode (s) where his death was mentioned but it wasn't something that seemed like it affected Kim all that much. Although it definitely should have, it just didn't. Essentially, they should have just stuck to the comedy angle because the drama angle wasn't their priority and that side of things just fell flat. Hence the reason why I feel like Moesha knew how to incorporate a better balance between the comedy and drama.

Moesha did drama better, but The Parkers did comedy better. In MY opinion, it's not better or worse. They were just different in the sense that both shows had certain strengths that they needed to play to.

Gina Payne

Arrivederci LSA. It's been real <3
Reaction score
Reactions
56,476 1,795 1,289
Alleybux
It was a good show, but I don't get why most ppl in this section act like Nikki wasn't kray kray. Lmao

1010winns

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
163,396 8,817 2,741
Alleybux
I hate the direction they went in after a while. I assume it’s because brandy and the showrunner had a falling out so they were probably trying to separate it as much as possible from moesha but still. Kim somehow got extra stupid, nikki was reduced to hanging out with dry andell and her daughters friends??? Which made no sense and was chasing after a man who only paid attention to her when he saw she was moving on (Kenny & the chef). Also Kim dropping out was a damn mess.

Terriann33

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
853 22 35
Alleybux
I just read that Katt Williams took Yvette into his home and cared for her the whole time she was sick, until she died. Blessings to that brother.

You never know what someone is doing or has done for someone else because everybody don't go bragging and gossiping to SM about stuff like that.
That's so nice of him...I knew I liked him for a good reason. He's actually one of my favorite comedians because he's very down to earth and tells it like it is unlike a lot of these Black celebrities.

Gina Payne

Arrivederci LSA. It's been real <3
Reaction score
Reactions
56,476 1,795 1,289
Alleybux
Did y'all know that Jenna Von Oy (Stevie) left her husband after having 2 kids together, and is now involved with a woman?

ETA:

@brandiBOW here is the evidence.

You can skim her instagram and see pics of her and her husband, and then it changes to her and this woman.

I like Jenna. I didn't know that, but I def can say that i always got that vibe from her on the show. Like whenever they put her with a bf/male interest, it seemed forced. She seems like a real cool person tho.

CuuntyAunty

I can’t teach you my magic…
Reaction score
Reactions
101,947 5,083 2,954
Alleybux
AAAABYPI68yRC4W33z4j_bvzMJHhEUvwJWUMsYmT1r54cvUbhnZXfkW7bMUOYmaWpAE09ni3tjIzq-AqDIR8tIrP7FEYZlSC.jpg

Dang mama!!! The theme song. Everyone’s voice.