Quantcast

What do y’all consider bad acting?

Murr

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
9,206 619 113
Alleybux
I’m not too keen on the acting world, so I guess my view of who’s skilled and unskilled isn’t too good. I thought Chris Evans was pretty good and talented, but LSA seems to disagree.

I guess the easier question would be: what do you consider good acting? But I really just want to know what “mistakes” you pinpoint when watching something that makes you think the actor/actress is bad at their job.

todorokian

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
32,980 1,003 677
Alleybux
Something more than wooden performances. The ability to really dig into and connect with a character. Proper facial expressions. Don't look like they sprinkled water on your face as 'tears'. Voice also reflects acting and emotions. I hate monotone voices UNLESS the script calls for it. That's different. When I watch a good actor on the screen, I don't want to see Actor A, I want to see the Character bringing the story to life. Sometimes bad actors look like they reading words straight off a piece of paper. I also look at body language, as well. Body language and voice are as important as any other acting component, imo.

Also overexaggerating =/= good acting. So don't look like they sprinkled water on your face like tears, but don't be doing a dramatic snot-cry if it comes across as more comedy than angst. Like I said, I need to believe it.

I thought Chris Evans was decent in Snowpiercer. But he had a good script to work with and great supporting cast, so that helped a lot.

Hippolyta

ᵘ ᵗ ᵗ ᵉ ʳ ˡ ʸ‎‎ ‎ ‎ ᶠ ᵃ ʳ ⁻ ᵒ ᵘ ᵗ
Reaction score
Reactions
15,027 297 35
Alleybux
Have you seen The CW? I'm 1000% sure they were all pulled randomly off the street.

JaniraBorges

Team Owner
Benched
Reaction score
Reactions
139,960 15,917 9,638
Alleybux
Something more than wooden performances. The ability to really dig into and connect with a character. Proper facial expressions. Don't look like they sprinkled water on your face as 'tears'. Voice also reflects acting and emotions. I hate monotone voices UNLESS the script calls for it. That's different. When I watch a good actor on the screen, I don't want to see Actor A, I want to see the Character bringing the story to life.

Also overexaggerating =/= good acting. So don't look like they sprinkled water on your face like tears, but don't be doing a dramatic snot-cry if it comes across as more comedy than angst. Like I said, I need to believe it.

I thought Chris Evans was decent in Snowpiercer. But he had a good script to work with and a greating supporting, so that helped a lot.
This is what Zendaddy lacks

todorokian

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
32,980 1,003 677
Alleybux
This is what Zendaddy lacks
Zendaya's awkward body language bothers me. It's like she doesn't know what to do with her limbs and body language is so important for actors imo. Like yeah, it works if she has to do her usual weird/outsider/awk teenage characters. But if she's trying to transition to something beyond that, it does not.

Solutions
Reaction score
Reactions
3,245 149 87
Alleybux
Basically what the first reply said...

Mainly for me it’s empty voices and people who can not emote. I need to feel something and not just anger because you can’t fµck!ng talk like you’re sad!

HelenSade

Ladies, Take His Draws!!!
Solutions
Reaction score
Reactions
246,336 4,734 1,266
Alleybux
Actors who bring the same performance to EVERY film, whether it's drama, comedy, action, horror, mystery. It's the same facial movements, the same tone, the same inflections, the same physical movements, everything. And sometimes it's hard to know if the person is a bad actor or merely a complacent one. As in they portrayed a character that brought them acclaim, fame, or more work and just decided that they were going to stick with. You look at some of their earlier work and you see a marked difference.

Or sometimes they're just paycheck actors, and you can tell they took the project for the pay and never intended to put anything into it.

elisabeta

Reaction score
Reactions
129,738 2,563 747
Alleybux
the movie "savages" is a good example of poor acting. sometimes the actor is good is general but can be given poor scripts or direction.

JaniraBorges

Team Owner
Benched
Reaction score
Reactions
139,960 15,917 9,638
Alleybux
Zendaya's awkward body language bothers me. It's like she doesn't know what to do with her limbs and body language is so important for actors imo. Like yeah, it works if she has to do her usual weird/outsider/awk teenage characters. But if she's trying to transition to something beyond that, it does not.
she needs to take some time out to STUDY acting and the art of cinema!

Murr

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
9,206 619 113
Alleybux
Have you seen The CW? I'm 1000% sure they were all pulled randomly off the street.
CHile Riverdale aint sh!t!!! I also can’t believe they constantly preach about social justice and stuff when their lead is out here with little girls...

GreenEyedDevil

Hairy Lesbian
Reaction score
Reactions
266,408 12,265 4,622
Alleybux
All of the newer generation sitcoms starting with "Meet the Browns" and "House of Payne"

I'm young, but shows like "Good Times' and 'Sanford and Son" have my heart because they felt like REAL families.

Good acting is when you feel like a vouyer watching someone's life from the bushes, as weird as that sounds.

The new shows just don't give that same vibe.

Madashelle

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
46,300 1,656 385
Alleybux
If I'm watching a movie and the actor is so immensed in their role and totally forgets that there is a camera in front of them, I believe that the person is doing their job: acting. But if I am watching a movie and the actor knows that the camera is on them, I don't consider that good acting.

RichNatural

Wealth is silent, you gaudy label wh0res are poor
Reaction score
Reactions
279,597 7,249 820
Alleybux
I’m not too keen on the acting world, so I guess my view of who’s skilled and unskilled isn’t too good. I thought Chris Evans was pretty good and talented, but LSA seems to disagree.

I guess the easier question would be: what do you consider good acting? But I really just want to know what “mistakes” you pinpoint when watching something that makes you think the actor/actress is bad at their job.
Good acting is when you completely forget you're even watching a movie for a moment. You believe the character is who she/he says she is. You are moved by their expressions and emotions. You're engrossed and immersed into all their scenes.

A bad actor consistently reminds you that they are an actor trying to pretend to be someone else ... it's very jarring. It all feels fake, forced or cheesy.

Mahina Rose

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
86,217 1,315 34
Alleybux
Kristen freaking Stewart.

Her acting, if you want to call it that, is just blah. She really gives you nothing.

the-acting-skills-of-kristen-stewart_fb_1358195.jpg

A.L.I.

Team Owner
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
126,774 2,278 784
Alleybux
Not being convincing in whatever role someone playing is bad acting to me unless the writing is just terrible.

MissMal

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
58,524 1,377 317
Alleybux
When I turn the movie off 20 minutes in. I have yet to finish Malcolm & Marie because I wasn't convinced they were two grown people with fire, passion, and anger.

Everyone else in this thread pretty much hit the nail on the head for me. I love the art of acting and I study it in my free time outside of my regular schooling, I may even do drama school somewhere down the line.

If I don't feel like I want to fight for the characters cause with them, I'm not feeling it. I know many people called Joker an incel movie but my goodness Joaquin Phoenix ate that role! I was really siding with him.

Opposite is Michael B. Jordan, I can't stand him but bias aside him as Killmonger as just an angry hotep didn't do it for me.

You can tell when an actor isn't actively listening, just reacting to get it over with.

I remember I made a thread awhile back about how these actors just ain't doing it for me. That's why I stay on the indie side of film, that's were a lot of talent is imo. The huge "stars" nowadays are just good to look at or insta stars turned actors.

Last edited:

SouthernNotCountry

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
223,544 5,511 931
Alleybux
People that don't have varying emotions and are not believable as the character are bad actors. If you clearly don't practice varying facial expressions you won't ever transform fully into that role, and a lot of people don't even try. MJB for example - he moves his mouth (tenses up for anger, shows sadness, etc), but the rest of his face doesn't change much. He doesn't EMOTE very well, which is needed for the audience to FEEL and connect to the story you're supposed to be telling. You can TELL he's just reciting the lines and his roles are rarely believable to me. I know a few yrs ago he bragged he had never taken acting classes but that is nothing to be proud of.

Chadwick Boseman had me convinced that he WAS every single role he played - he studied the character, practiced and BECAME them. Many actors now lack that discipline and commitment to the art and it is quite obvious.

blackice82

Team Owner
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
47,788 659 70
Alleybux
When the actor brings no emotion to the role just reciting the lines (almost stiff)
One dimension acting plays the same role over and rover
Even over acting or just doing too much

freckledbruh

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
240,514 5,717 3,374
Alleybux
1) scenery chewing
2) looking like you’re (barely) reading the script
3) inability to emote
4) inappropriate reactions to your scene partner(s)
5) poor enunciation (unless it’s intentional to the character)

todorokian

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
32,980 1,003 677
Alleybux
People that don't have varying emotions and are not believable as the character are bad actors. If you clearly don't practice varying facial expressions you won't ever transform fully into that role, and a lot of people don't even try. MJB for example - he moves his mouth (tenses up for anger, shows sadness, etc), but the rest of his face doesn't change much. He doesn't EMOTE very well, which is needed for the audience to FEEL and connect to the story you're supposed to be telling. You can TELL he's just reciting the lines and his roles are rarely believable to me. I know a few yrs ago he bragged he had never taken acting classes but that is nothing to be proud of.

Chadwick Boseman had me convinced that he WAS every single role he played - he studied the character, practiced and BECAME them. Many actors now lack that discipline and commitment to the art and it is quite obvious.
I love me some Killmonger. But Chadwick was something special. That man was once in a lifetime.

JaniraBorges

Team Owner
Benched
Reaction score
Reactions
139,960 15,917 9,638
Alleybux

He BRAGGED about NOT taking acting classes? Wtf.

Well clearly that’s paying off well hence why his peers are getting Oscar nominated and he’s doing PR relationships for press.

I’ve always been a cinephile and a massive fan of acclaimed directors, actors/actresses, cinema etc so I don’t even have time for crappy average actors or movies for the most part.

No wonder Hollywood has declined a lot and is void of creativity, people aren’t even committed to their craft and the art as much!

Rebelle Noire

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
104,564 2,307 1,999
Alleybux
Acting like Emma Watson's: hyperventilating and eyebrow dancing.
The kid from Artemis Fowl: can't emote for the love of him, my god he was boring.
The girl who played Lily in Modern Family: you could literally see her looking at the camera sometimes!

MrsSamCooke

From the moonlit wilds
Reaction score
Reactions
28,071 1,040 98
Alleybux
Fonts above me have pretty much nailed the tell-tale characteristics of what makes an actor a bad one.

I only want to add...Nicholas Cage in just about everything. He can get away with doing some comedy as he has shown himself to be funny (well, in moments). For the most part, however, he looks forlorn and dejected. Or, crazy - as though he's having some kind of psychotic episode.

Exhibit A:

Exhibit B:

I could fill a separate thread with a hundred more exhibits attesting to the above if I wanted to (but I don't want to).

My theory behind the incessant depressive-psycho expressions of Nick Cage is that he knows can't act and it pains him, but he still keeps on going since no one can be bothered to put him out if his misery, he likes the dough and he has those lofty nepotism advantages as a Coppola. :angel

Just the same, there is a soft spot in my heart for certain films he's been in like Valley Girl (my favorite teen flick and where he also manages an awesome delivery of the line, "fµck off for sure - like totally!"), Peggy Sue Got Married, Raising Arizona.and Wild at Heart.

Last edited:

Aanamari

♔ Queen Mystic ♔
Reaction score
Reactions
4,138 217 12
Alleybux
When the characters don’t seem believable. Like the actor just doesn’t live up their role. I want to be able to forget who the person playing that role is enough for me to forget who the actor is.

popculturegirl

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
92,466 6,976 1,627
Alleybux
I think it's honestly subjective because I see people say certain actors are untalented and I disagree. A lot of indie films make me feel like I'm watching someone's real life

Danni Archer

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
55,822 1,512 957
Alleybux
Mostly teens/young adults in teen dramas. Think: Degrassi and other mass-produced teen dramas out of Canada. A lot of over- and under-acting.

Meenah

~~~~~~Where The Money Reside~~~~~~
Reaction score
Reactions
243,222 3,811 905
Alleybux
I'm a bad actor. Thinking too much and being unnatural is my problem.

Lack of flexibility and versatility is a sign of a bad actor. You can't play each character the same way. You're an ok actor but won't win any awards or get important roles.

LLJ

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
51,701 2,265 1,458
Alleybux
Beyonce can't emote or hide her accent.
Nicole Kidman has so much filler her face doesn't move...less than ideal for an actress
I think Daniel Craig is a bad actor and possibly asexual.
Channing Tatum acts with his six pack.
Tyrese is another one who acts with his six pack.
Kevin Hart is awful at everything. He thinks shouting and overreacting is good acting.
Julia Robert's niece. Just incapable. Her career runs on 100% nepotism.

Paul Walker (God rest his sexy ass) couldn't act worth a damn but he was hot enough for it not to matter. I still ...nvm.

Jaimee Lee Curtis must suck some mean dick.
Sorry but Jennifer Lawrence too.

moonchild92

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
5,595 176 33
Alleybux
Watch these following films:
Birdemic 1&2
The Room
Some of the worst acting I’ve come across.

Crssak12

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
40,961 5,228 6,498
Alleybux
People who sound like they’re reading off a script or cue cards, they sound very robotic... that’s the worst sh!t ever.

sylver2

Team Owner
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
34,247 957 123
Alleybux
I was so pissed at Michael Ealy. I love the Underworld films & they cast him a big role in one and he was so horrible, robotic and dry. It stood out because Underworld has great actors and i never feel like im watching a movie. until the one he was in. I swear he was just memorizing from the paper.

Jasmine Ross

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
34,361 873 354
Alleybux
May be random, but I feel like emotions come out better when ur tired. When James Gandolfini was in the Sopranos, apparently he would show up tired in order to emote better. I think that’s what Halle Berry did for Jungle Fever too. It’s very easy to overthink emotions when you’re acting and you have a lot of energy. When you’re tired it comes out more naturally or that’s how I feel when I try to act.

Trending Threads

News Alley

Ask LSA

The Lounge

General Alley

Top Bottom