Quantcast

What do you wish you knew about grad school (particularly masters) before going?

MelinaRollins

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
43,265 1,053 609
Alleybux
So, I learned pretty much NOTHING about grad school until I was in my junior year of undergrad. I didn't even know grad students still had classes until I met some grad students in one of my classes! I was thinking they were doing research and TA-ing and that was how they were learning. Basically real world experience and being a little bit handheld by whichever professor signed off on their research.

Anyway, I still know...almost nothing about grad school. What are the biggest differences? What is similar? And most importantly, what do you wish you knew about grad school before you went?

Evil Baby

there's no thinking on lsa, just emotion
Reaction score
Reactions
194,838 18,250 16,927
Alleybux
I'm not interested in grad school but I never understood how it worked so I'm curious. I went to a grad school information thing when while I was still in college and I still don't understand lol.

MelinaRollins

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
43,265 1,053 609
Alleybux
I'm not interested in grad school but I never understood how it worked so I'm curious. I went to a grad school information thing when while I was still in college and I still don't understand lol.

Those information sessions are always so bare minimum! But I guess you do learn a few specs of info when you go to one so I guess it's worth it (also, they be having free food so can't complain LOL)

Lady Vixx

Life could be worse
Reaction score
Reactions
4,866 122 8
Alleybux
Based on my experiences:
1. Picking the right supervisor is so important. One that know your topic and how to support you right away.
2. Also, plans can change, topics and research can steer you in another direction... and that's totally okay.
3. Try to front load your courses early on so you have more time for research.
4. Allow your class projects (final papers) to be some component of your thesis/dissertation.
5. If you go a directed reading route, let it be for a chapter of your thesis. You will have to get a prof to organize a course for you that way.
6. Taking electives might be less stressful than directed readings.
7. Network, network, network in your department as much as you can.Those relationships are important for PhDs or job prospects.
8. Time management is sooo important. You work independently 100% of the time. Have people around you who can keep you accountable and support you.
9. Grad students are top students over a certain GPA. Competition does not matter, unless some classes are based on a curve.
10. Imposter syndrome is real. Every student in your classes feel the same way. No worries, you most likely were chosen because you were deserving of your spot.
11. Cast a wide net when applying to grad school. Someone's no, might be someone's yes.

ETA: The secretary is the most important person in the department. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Befriend them quickly. That's a rule of life. Know the secretary/receptionist, the janitor/custodian, and the chef/kitchen staff.

Last edited:

Kano1987

LSA OG Fav! 2009 til infinity
Reaction score
Reactions
328,339 12,231 7,482
Alleybux
It's going to work out in the end.

Protect your mental health by getting professional help.

Do not be in a rush to complete the program.

Reaction score
Reactions
2,383 46 5
Alleybux
Time management is super important especially if your program requires research or a field practicum like my MSW did. It’s the time to also get in good with some of your professors in case you need them to write you letters of recommendations for PhD or job opportunities. Network network network. Lol.

Shaneille

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
50,128 2,552 676
Alleybux
Based on my experiences:
1. Picking the right supervisor is so important. One that know your topic and how to support you right away.
2. Also, plans can change, topics and research can steer you in another direction... and that's totally okay.
3. Try to front load your courses early on so you have more time for research.
4. Allow your class projects (final papers) to be some component of your thesis/dissertation.
5. If you go a directed reading route, let it be for a chapter of your thesis. You will have to get a prof to organize a course for you that way.
6. Taking electives might be less stressful than directed readings.
7. Network, network, network in your department as much as you can.Those relationships are important for PhDs or job prospects.
8. Time management is sooo important. You work independently 100% of the time. Have people around you who can keep you accountable and support you.
9. Grad students are top students over a certain GPA. Competition does not matter, unless some classes are based on a curve.
10. Imposter syndrome is real. Every student in your classes feel the same way. No worries, you most likely were chosen because you were deserving of your spot.
11. Cast a wide net when applying to grad school. Someone's no, might be someone's yes.

ETA: The secretary is the most important person in the department. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Befriend them quickly. That's a rule of life. Know the secretary/receptionist, the janitor/custodian, and the chef/kitchen staff.

Front load courses? What do you mean?!?

Lady Vixx

Life could be worse
Reaction score
Reactions
4,866 122 8
Alleybux
Front load courses? What do you mean?!?
Try to get the courses part of your requirements done first instead of stretching them out over the 2 years. So if your requirements are 6 courses in addition to a thesis (MA), try to complete the courses in the first 2-3 terms. This gives you more time to focus on your thesis.

Sazzie

oh here go hell come
Reaction score
Reactions
34,162 421 137
Alleybux
I pretty much knew everything before going due to talking to people who already have their masters and a few with Phds.

I'm really excited about the final capstone project due to it being a topic of my own choice and research! I just found out my mentor/advisor for my final capstone is a bw with a Phd in cybersecurity. I'm happy that she will be the one overseeing my final project!

Shaneille

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
50,128 2,552 676
Alleybux
Try to get the courses part of your requirements done first instead of stretching them out over the 2 years. So if your requirements are 6 courses in addition to a thesis (MA), try to complete the courses in the first 2-3 terms. This gives you more time to focus on your thesis.
Thanks

britvp96

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
32,482 406 60
Alleybux
I co-sign the font who said imposter syndrome is real, especially when you’re the only one or one of few Black faces in your program. It can be hard to overcome that feeling, but trust me, many of your White peers won’t know or will barley know what they’re talking about most of the time. They’ll just cover it up in redundant complex language to make themselves seem smarter.

MelinaRollins

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
43,265 1,053 609
Alleybux
I co-sign the font who said imposter syndrome is real, especially when you’re the only one or one of few Black faces in your program. It can be hard to overcome that feeling, but trust me, many of your White peers won’t know or will barley know what they’re talking about most of the time. They’ll just cover it up in redundant complex language to make themselves seem smarter.
When I learn how to do this it's OVER for y'all hoes :LOL: