What Genre Would You Put...

apples

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
228,662 6,475 5,265
Alleybux
Frank Ocean and Miguel?
Their music is so similar, yet different from everything else out.
They both seem heavily influenced by Prince, another great writer that had a beautiful control over his music.
Thing is, I can't place Prince's genre either.
He is too edgy for r&b but to say he's pop doesn't quite sit right.
The habit of live music in the background as opposed to computer manipulated tunes is one thing that sets them apart. If I can hear the horns, a piano, and/or live strings, or if the song is acoustic I hate to label it pop. It's too personal to be pop.
There are pop bands out there that record their whole band, drums, keyboard, guitar and all but they usually have a rock sound. Think, the Fray. All their music sounds live but they have that soft rock element to it.
Another thing is the fact that you could read FO, Miguel, and Prince's lyrics without the music, and be comparatively satisfied. Long story short, their music usually has meaning, is usually written well, and may have some intelligent metaphors (as opposed to basic crap like "im a star, sheriff badge!!!!").
Because modern r&b consists of basic lyrics and melodies only meant to entice or guide you through some sexcapade or heartbreak, I don't want to give the aforementioned trio that label either. Their lyrics have a little more angle than that, and the music def has more edge.
I'm well aware that there are good r&b writers like Ne-Yo and Keri Hilson, but they don't take chances with their melody or music. Their music doesn't have that edge I mentioned.

I dunno, maybe I'm overthinking it, as I often do with music. Any thoughts?

Restinga

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
215,626 1,214 824
Alleybux
Prince is a Funk, R&B, Pop and Rock artist.

Frank is R&B, Soul and Pop artist, with some Hip Hop influences.

Sometimes artist dabble in other genres. It's not always just one category.

apples

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
228,662 6,475 5,265
Alleybux
These fools are not even in the same sentence as prince.

Maybe not the same lane, but def the same league.
Can't take things personal all the time with music.
Prince is a legend in his own right. He is his own competition... but this is not a comparison. Rather, I'm just saying how they're all alike.

Why can't we ever get away with letting others to be great? Good grief.

apples

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
228,662 6,475 5,265
Alleybux
Prince is a Funk, R&B, Pop and Rock artist.

Frank is R&B, Soul and Pop artist, with some Hip Hop influences.

Sometimes artist dabble in other genres. It's not always just one category.

They share a lot in common. At this point, instead of breaking it down like you did, I'd rather find a common ground to place them on.

westsideozzie

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
15,764 86 133
Alleybux
Maybe not the same lane, but def the same league.
Can't take things personal all the time with music.
Prince is a legend in his own right. He is his own competition... but this is not a comparison. Rather, I'm just saying how they're all alike.

Why can't we ever get away with letting others to be great? Good grief.

You talking about a top 10 artist of all time who was truly transcendent vs a cat who got famous for smoking poles and a techno newbie. There is no comparison.

juztbe

MVP
Reaction score
Reactions
2,680 1 3
Alleybux
i wouldnt put Frank in the category of hiphopish R&b i would place him with the neo-soul artist because his music is like poetry in motion to me never ever can be taken for surface value