Quantcast

What is going on in the black hair industry?

Serendipity3

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
9,296 1,198 146
Alleybux
I am not trying to sh*t on black stylists but I recently decided that I wanted to experiment with my hair. I have never been one for fake hair so most of the things I want done involve simple twists and braiding of my own hair. I found one person and texted her what I wanted done and the texture of my hair and she seemed responsive but then fell off the face of the planet. I found another black stylist in town and she was wanting to charge me $85 for two strand twists. This did not include washing or conditioning. So, I was like scratch the twists, I am going to do some color. My main thing has been just wanting to try or do something new. I went to a salon yesterday for a consult for a color (new stylist) and was low key insulted, lmao. Now I am not one to have fake braids, wigs, weaves etc., but I usually just wash, deep condition, oil etc. I am low maintenance but not neglectful. My hair is also healthy and I have my edges, haha. The stylist was trying to say I should not dye my hair since I do not take care of it. I think in her eyes take care means having it styled all the time, it is definitely not damaged.

Is this a common thing now, why do people get in the hair industry if they do not want to actually do hair? Like the first example I mentioned, I told her what I wanted and she just stopped responding. I understand that a person who pays to get lemonade braids is going to take a higher precedence over someone who wants twists or a rod set, but she basically fell of the face of the earth. These were 3 different people and I was not demanding or trying to haggle prices or anything.

Benny Vain

Rookie
Reaction score
Reactions
213 4
Alleybux
Girl I can relate. Before COVID I was in search for a natural hair stylist that I can go to 2x a week to wash, deep condition and do a trim as needed, I've come to a realization that this dream stylist doesn't exist in my city. I find that a lot of hair dressers don't care about my hair. It’s not that I don't want to take care of my hair, because I do, but every once in a while, I want to have my hair done by a professional that actually knows how to take care of 4a/4b hair texture. Till this day I'm still looking for a stylist that can meet my hair needs.

News Alley

The Lounge

General Alley

Top Bottom