Quantcast

What is "putting effort into your appearance" and how does it make you more attractive?

CLCN

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
461 41 44
Alleybux
I've never really understood what people mean when they tell someone (particularly women) that they need to put effort into their appearance. Do they mean that they should wear makeup or fancy clothes? Can women not be pretty wearing jeans or sweats and no makeup? Or does it depend on the person? Or does it just mean you look clean?

I'm a stereotypically female looking person and I've never worn makeup before. I've never even owned makeup before. I've always just liked my face the way it is. I don't want to wear makeup. I also wear jeans and t-shirts most of the time. I do have and wear other clothes and I like jewelry and accessories, but I don't understand why I can't be concerned looking nice if I'm wearing regular clothes.

It just doesn't make sense to me. How much effort is a person supposed to use?

BusyAhhBee

Extroverted Introvert
Reaction score
Reactions
22,472 259 98
Alleybux
I take it as keeping my hair, nails, eyebrows, and makeup done to a certain extent. Trying to put your best foot forward when you leave the house, and being polished.

However, if you had seen me last week lol you’d never think I do those things I said I do daily since I was sick. I felt like I noticed a diference in my confidence and how people treated me.

StormStokes

Team Owner
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
60,264 2,369 107
Alleybux
it means looking well groomed and wearing clothes that are flattering to your appearance. it doesn't necessarily mean you have to have expensive items or expensive treatments, it just means that whatever you are doing makes you look better than average.

things that will make you look well groomed:
-clear and moisturized skin
-hair styles that are flattering to your face
-clean and filed nails (no hang nails or jagged nails, no nail fungus or dirt, etc)
-clothes (undergarments included) that fit properly and are figure flattering. clothes should also be in good condition.
-good dental hygiene
-perfume or nice smelling body spray or oil.
-groomed eyebrows
ETA: shoes are are in good condition and are scuff free.

IMO jewelry and makeup are optional but i do think women should try for mascara and a nude lip color or gloss, but if you don't wear makeup and don't want to then don't.

also i think people are rather harsh on a woman's appearance. there is nothing wrong with being a plain jane if that is who you are and what you want to do.
i used to get hella flack for wearing buns because apparently my hair wasn't considered done. to this day i see nothing wrong with buns and other updos nor do i understand why people thought my hair wasn't done. my hair had to be styled to get it in a bun. its not like i rolled out of bed and went out.

but if you are satisfied with your appearance ignore the comments.
-

Last edited:

cakeandroses

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
30,561 611 246
Alleybux
I think I see what you're saying. I'm like that too. I have no problem with makeup, I just never wore it/got into it. I'm not into fashion. I just make sure my T-shirt matches my jeans. Matching is the most you're gonna get out of me lol. To answer your question, I think putting effort in your appearance, IMO, is just making sure you're presentable. Brush your teeth, clean your face, fix your hair, have clean clothes, ya know.

Normal Faces Matter

If I can’t scuba, then what’s this all been about?
Reaction score
Reactions
181,254 2,606 340
Alleybux
Think of it like this: do you put the same effort into wearing jeans and a t-shirt that you would getting dressed for a function or a first date? Chances are you’re probably going to take more time to put yourself together and look your best for those occasions. You’re also more likely to get more attention for that than just wearing a t-shirt and jeans.

simplymina

in my bag
Reaction score
Reactions
156,121 6,832 2,211
Alleybux
Wearing flattering clothes
Working out
Eating healthy
Having skincare routines, hair routines etc to make sure it looks its best
Brushing teeth, taking regular showers, and just keeping up with hygiene in general.
Smelling good
Makeup to a certain extent (however not necessary depending on the situation)

When you imagine a well-put together person, what do you see? Go with that.

RichNatural

Wealth is silent, you gaudy label wh0res are poor
Reaction score
Reactions
279,598 7,250 820
Alleybux
OP, not trying to be condescending, but I'm confused as to why you're confused that "putting more effort = more attractive"?

I mean if a woman starts being more consistent with her workouts and skincare routines (effort), doesn't it then follow that she will have a better-looking appearance (more attractive)?

To me, I think you're really asking, "What's wrong with being a low-maintenance woman 'stereotypically female looking person'?!" And to that I say, nothing! As long as you're clean, healthy, and hygienic, do you. No need to force yourself to be someone you're not.

ms g

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
14,691 365 211
Alleybux
This photo is a perfect example of no effort vs. effort. As you see, slightly more effort makes a difference. It makes you look like an adult rather than a child. It also garners not only more attention, but more likely the attention you want.

Picture32.png

KissMeHerione

Himeko Elizabeth
Reaction score
Reactions
97,127 2,371 701
Alleybux
Even though not everyone can be bothered to be clean, do their hair and put well-fitting clothes on, i think that is basic.

Effort is putting perfume on, putting on jewelry(earrings, necklace, bracelet all at the same time) , curating outfits in way that looks like you worked on it (matching, or picking a theme) , putting on makeup and coordinating it with your outfit, having your nails done, having your eyebrows done. It's the things that are not necessarily easy or take 1 second to do, that qualifies as effort.

A ponytail takes a few seconds to do, but a braided up-do or curling you hair takes way longer. That is effort.
Clipping and cleaning your nails takes 4 minutes but a manicure will take 15 if you do it yourself with just paint, but professionally about an hour, if you get tips like me.

You don't have to do all those things at the same time but the more you do simultaneously, the more people will think you put effort into your appearance.

You could just do it for yourself though, it's a mood booster.

whatsayu

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
49,031 2,097 1,852
Alleybux
This photo is a perfect example of no effort vs. effort. As you see, slightly more effort makes a difference. It makes you look like an adult rather than a child. It also garners not only more attention, but more likely the attention you want.

Picture32.png

Me on the left - all day. Everyday. Idgaf

ElleH23

MVP
Reaction score
Reactions
4,797 196 21
Alleybux
Lmao at this post. Me not putting in effort vs me putting in a lot of effort look like two totally different people. Plus when I present the best version of myself I feel happy, confident, good mood, etc