Quantcast

What is the Christ like way to responds instead of anger?

GraceMerci

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
24,090 1,520 881
Alleybux
So I am interested in finding the balance to be meek while not being a pushover.

I've been interested in righteous anger but I believe that humans cannot have that it is up to God to fight our battles.

“When it was almost time for the Jewish Passover, Jesus went up to Jerusalem. In the temple courts he found people selling cattle, sheep and doves, and others sitting at tables exchanging money. So he made a whip out of cords, and drove all from the temple courts, both sheep and cattle; he scattered the coins of the money changers and overturned their tables. To those who sold doves he said, ‘Get these out of here! Stop turning my Father’s house into a market!’His disciples remembered that it is written: ‘Zeal for your house will consume me.’”

Jesus displaying righteous anger.

How can we respond to injustice in a christ like manner?

Bjxxxx

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
60,856 1,064 802
Alleybux
So I am interested in finding the balance to be meek while not being a pushover.

I've been interested in righteous anger but I believe that humans cannot have that it is up to God to fight our battles.

“When it was almost time for the Jewish Passover, Jesus went up to Jerusalem. In the temple courts he found people selling cattle, sheep and doves, and others sitting at tables exchanging money. So he made a whip out of cords, and drove all from the temple courts, both sheep and cattle; he scattered the coins of the money changers and overturned their tables. To those who sold doves he said, ‘Get these out of here! Stop turning my Father’s house into a market!’His disciples remembered that it is written: ‘Zeal for your house will consume me.’”

What specific incident are you talking about. There’s degrees and levels.

Bjxxxx

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
60,856 1,064 802
Alleybux
Last edited:

daStampede

Anti-Black Mods' Favorite Target
Reaction score
Reactions
263,149 5,781 1,475
Alleybux
And some you just have to wild out on them and beat them down...then ask for forgiveness.
I can't agree with that. I understand it, but I can't condone it.

I always ask myself, "Self, is it worth it?". Most of the time I stand down. It is very rare that I wild out. It can happen though.

godiva

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
18,253 689 382
Alleybux
I struggled with this initially when I first dedicated my life back to Christ. It did not help that I also had a negative experience around this time which caused me to make the decision to further bury my feelings (especially anger) and not express dissatisfaction. I tried my best to ask God to groom me to become this agreeable and 'nice' person aka a huge pushover. To be honest, I have had this experience with other long term Christians trying to uphold the 'christian image' by not expressing when they are displeased or angry, only for you to feel their regressive anger and for them to admit their true feelings about you at the last minute, ruining what you thought was a genuine experience from the beginning.

Little by little, thru God's grace, I'm finding my middle ground, by staying true to myself and my Christian beliefs which means to stand for something even if you have to stand alone.

Though it is always a work in progress, what has helped me has been constant prayer especially asking God for discernment and patience. With discernment and patience, it gives us the strength to pick our battles in knowing when to bite my tongue or speak up in the right time. Some battles are just better left in HIs hands and not worth the vexation of your spirit. Your peace is priceless.
I've kind of learned more about doing things in love and with love comes honesty by revealing what you truly feel even if it is not nice, but you know your intention are in the right place.

Justa

Facsimile of God | Megan Thee Samaritan
Reaction score
Reactions
285,318 4,977 407
Alleybux

A gentle answer turns away wrath.

An open rebuke is better than hidden hate.

All from Proverbs the wisdom guide.

To answer your question about responding to injustice - you stand up for what is right. You speak up for those who are oppressed. You protect and defend those who have been hurt and weakened by others. As you do all those things, be sure that you are being guided and doing the right thing based on the example set by your God.

The Oracle

Just Call Me M.O.M.
Reaction score
Reactions
30,119 625 865
Alleybux
Anger isn’t inherently bad...if it is righteous and justified. Find something productive to put the anger into. If you need to tell someone about themselves think about it then sleep on it. If you still want to say it, say it. You can express anger without going the fµck off. It states in Ecclesiastes that when Christ returns he ain’t talking and turning the other cheek. Christ is bringing the sword baby. If you mad be mad. HOW you handle it is the Key.

Bjxxxx

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
60,856 1,064 802
Alleybux
I struggled with this initially when I first dedicated my life back to Christ. It did not help that I also had a negative experience around this time which caused me to make the decision to further bury my feelings (especially anger) and not express dissatisfaction. I tried my best to ask God to groom me to become this agreeable and 'nice' person aka a huge pushover. To be honest, I have had this experience with other long term Christians trying to uphold the 'christian image' by not expressing when they are displeased or angry, only for you to feel their regressive anger and for them to admit their true feelings about you at the last minute, ruining what you thought was a genuine experience from the beginning.

Little by little, thru God's grace, I'm finding my middle ground, by staying true to myself and my Christian beliefs which means to stand for something even if you have to stand alone.

Though it is always a work in progress, what has helped me has been constant prayer especially asking God for discernment and patience. With discernment and patience, it gives us the strength to pick our battles in knowing when to bite my tongue or speak up in the right time. Some battles are just better left in HIs hands and not worth the vexation of your spirit. Your peace is priceless.
I've kind of learned more about doing things in love and with love comes honesty by revealing what you truly feel even if it is not nice, but you know your intention are in the right place.
I like what you said. Prayer for discernment and wisdom are always best. Although I have seen too many times when someone really believes, only to be quite disappointed, either by human frailty or outright satan’s deceit. Then that person takes their anger out by completely denying God and looses faith. It is a very sad thing to witness. Especially when standing in the moment, and expressing what needs to be said, or done can solve the problem by setting boundaries where needed. Basically calling the thing out.

Not to get preachy, but I was actually just thinking about this offline. David was a man after God’s own heart. David was an adulterer, an outright murderer (had Bathesheba’s husband sent to the front line of war so he would be killed in order to disguise the fact that he was sleeping with the man’s wife after she became pregnant). The man was also the killer of 10s of thousands of men, outright. However in the Psalms his dedication is unmatched. Now he couldn’t build the temple, and his family was accursed because of his daliances, but still...

Then fast forward, to Saul of Tarsus (aka Paul)...talk about a man who was the mortal enemy of Christians. He had to bend over backward to prove he had changed from a torturer to an ally and promoter. However he didn’t hold his tongue, and put in that same energy after his te-at-te with God and the donkey on the road to Demascus. The man was crucifying Christians upside down, and leaving them on the roadways...literally torturing people he viewed as going against the teachings of Judism, as he understood it.

The point, imperfect people are still vessels for good in the end.

Last edited:

Bjxxxx

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
60,856 1,064 802
Alleybux
A gentle answer turns away wrath.

An open rebuke is better than hidden hate.

All from Proverbs the wisdom guide.

To answer your question about responding to injustice - you stand up for what is right. You speak up for those who are oppressed. You protect and defend those who have been hurt and weakened by others. As you do all those things, be sure that you are being guided and doing the right thing based on the example set by your God.
I know this is in there, however I have seen this first sentence result in so many people getting treated badly, as I think it is often mis-interpreted.

CeriseMure

Mrs Son Hyun Woo
Reaction score
Reactions
9,421 59 20
Alleybux
I really struggle with expressing anger and feeling guilty when I get angry too. I'm watching and looking forward to learning!

Recently what I've been trying to do is remind myself of what it says in Ephesians 4:26: be angry but do not sin. It's ok to get angry - there's no sin or shame in a natural emotion - sin comes in when anger makes me act or speak in a way that God isn't pleased with.

Bjxxxx

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
60,856 1,064 802
Alleybux
One of the things I believe is important is to think about the actual meaning of words, and if possible the origin, (prior to translation to Greek, then to English). So when I think of meek, I don’t think of not speaking up or standing up, or letting things slide and being a push over. I think of NOT being arrogant, and prideful, which would be the opposite of being meek and humble. To me that is the distinction. Arrogance, and the believe that you are superior or have all the knowledge you need, lead to blocking the ability to learn and be open. Humility says, I can get more info, and discernment filters the info that is helpful, for edification and that which is noise.

Thank you for bringing this topic up. I was just passing through, however it has made me go back and really look at how I view the interpretations. In addition today I was reading Psalm 34:11 - 19. It talks about something very close to this. It just so happened that’s what came up in my daily readings.

Anonymami

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
21,870 894 529
Alleybux
I used to really struggle with this concept when my abusive ex would do something to me. I always let it slide bc I thought that was righteous behavior. I've since learned, there is a righteous anger and it is NOT Godly to allow people to mistreat you and show no respect. If a situation is going bad, walk away from it if you can. Give the problem to God and then go your own separate way. Make actions in love, with forgiveness, in humility. When you seek God's path, know He will handle the injustice for you and give you the wisdom/strength/patience to handle it the best possible. It is okay to express your anger but in a manner that will not incur you any more additional sin.

GraceMerci

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
24,090 1,520 881
Alleybux
I really struggle with expressing anger and feeling guilty when I get angry too. I'm watching and looking forward to learning!

Recently what I've been trying to do is remind myself of what it says in Ephesians 4:26: be angry but do not sin. It's ok to get angry - there's no sin or shame in a natural emotion - sin comes in when anger makes me act or speak in a way that God isn't pleased with.

Yes I am also realising that when you are able to speak without cursing, you can deliver your point clearly with dark anger.

GraceMerci

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
24,090 1,520 881
Alleybux
What is dark anger? Anger is anger, correct?

Yes that is true, but I listened to a video, stating demons never travel alone. Anger is anger, yes but the minute give in to anger and continue to be angry when the sun has gone down, we gives space for sins to enter.