Quantcast

What is the difference between Mariah Carey and Halsey?

Flames

Cold Hearted Snake
Reaction score
Reactions
42,172 3,373 1,551
Alleybux
MC does not, and has never looked like a white woman.

Halsey doesnt look black at all.

The delusion

MC looked like a woman during her debut and into the 90s

She became more "black" with her association with black people and her fake tan

Flames

Cold Hearted Snake
Reaction score
Reactions
42,172 3,373 1,551
Alleybux
Mariah is a weird case because she doesn't look black, white, Mexican, Hawaiian or any race. It's like she's "aracial" or some sh!t. lmao

Mexicans aren't a race

Mariah can easily pass as a Latina as most Latin Americans are mixed race

Flames

Cold Hearted Snake
Reaction score
Reactions
42,172 3,373 1,551
Alleybux
From what I've seen of the Halsey girl, she's a garden variety hipster without a sense of self who uses the multiracial card to make up for her lack of personality and individuality. The try-hard desperation oozes from her, which is why she's made zero impression in spite of all of these stunts and following music trends.

I don't like her, but she's definitely made an impression. "Without Me" went 8x platinum and spent 29 weeks in the Top 10 (and charted on the Hot 100 for over a year). Most songs today do not last that long on the charts because audiences are so fickle.

This song is still huge on recurrent radio and streams. Probably the biggest female song of the past 5 years

Also, like Mariah, she debuted with an image/sound aimed at whites, but has now become more urban

Lambily4ever

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
Reactions
9 1 15
Alleybux
I respectfully disagree. If Barack Obama had a wife that looked like Mariah when he ran in '08, Black America would not have voted for him.f

If Tiger Woods dated a woman who looked exactly like Mariah, fonts (and other black women not on LSA) would say, "Here Tiger goes again with another basic Becky".

Lastly, THE WORLD SEES AND TREATS MARIAH LIKE A WHITE WOMAN. White people see Mariah's humanity; they don't see ours. Notice that Mariah doesn't have any stories like Oprah being denied a purse in a store because of racial profiling since she's been famous because who's going to racially profile Mariah with her appearance.

Mariah may not have been treated well BEFORE the fame, but she has definitely been treated better AFTER becoming famous. Mariah can get away with things that black people can't.

She had dinner with Bibi Netanyahu a few years back who is KNOWN for despising black people.

Mariah could pass for Italian, Albanian, Greek, etc. I think fonts and black people in general have a skewed view of what a white person looks like. Mariah could go to any European country and blend in.
When did Mariah say this? Since the beginning of her career she's thanked the black community for accepting her and, if you read her book and actually watch/look at interviewss, she talks aabout how its always black people who always had her back
Wrong. In an interview leading up to promoting her book, she complained about not being accepted and protected by black people THIS YEAR. You fonts say anything to absolve Mariah. Groan Away.

Lambily4ever

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
Reactions
9 1 15
Alleybux
You
The fonts up here who keep saying that Mariah didn't beg with acceptance have not read her interviews she's done over the years. She just did one this year talking about why she doesn't get protection from black people.

I have noticed when people bring facts about Mariah that are unfavorable (especially me) you all groan. First of all, that is childish. Second of all, it shows that you are biased, insecure, and defensive about your fave.

My question that I have for LSA is: why does Mariah get a pass for EVERYTHING as opposed to other biracials. You all bring up A. Keys and her affair, you all diss Barack and Kamala constantly, you all bring up Halle and her man problems (which Mariah has as well), you all complain about Zendaya. Is it because she's talented, or is it because she's white passing? I think her being white passing is the real reason because Mariah has done questionable things as well yet you all don't throw them in her face like you do other biracials.

I just want LSA to admit the obvious: you have an UNWAVERING BIAS TOWARDS MARIAH. Mariah can do no wrong in your eyes even when she does (and she has; go to her wikipedia page and look under CONTROVERSIES).

I am not trolling; I am just really trying to understand why Mariah gets a pass for everything yet other biracials (and black people (especially Beyonce)) get critiqued and torn to shreds.

Please don't groan until AFTER you answer the question.
HAVE to be trolling. People are literally more likely to accept biracials like Zendaya Obama, Halle bc they look more visibly black than Mariah. Also, what are you talking about on the Beyonce part???

Lambily4ever

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
Reactions
9 1 15
Alleybux
I've always said this. If Mariah's granddaddy doesn't change her surname from Nunez to Carey, absolutely no one would be calling MC a black woman, that's just the truth. There's no heritage in the last name "Carey." It was randomly chosen.

Mariah has also covered Latina Mag twice and legit said this

“[My grandfather]’s last name was Nuñez,” she said about her Venezuelan grandpa. “My grandfather made up the name ‘Carey,’ when he came to America to be more accepted, I guess. But that was funny, because that’s an Irish name and Irish people were discriminated against at that time, too…That’s why, on the album, I just put Mariah now, because it’s not even my real last name anyway.”

955a59054be957f601e4b307c3a26df3

Mariah has literally always said her father has mixed heritage. She's made comments about looking into his family ancestry more because they don't even know much about his paternal side.
Mariah was talking about her great grandfather in that article interview. She knows her grandfather and was close to him (this is a pic of him on the bottom left) but she already explained her heritage in her memoir

Attachments

• photoart.collagemaker.picgrid.edit.photoframe_202132745955389.png
    photoart.collagemaker.picgrid.edit.photoframe_202132745955389.png
    135.2 KB · Views: 49

anonimuswan

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
40,904 1,617 1,440
Alleybux
When did Mariah say this? Since the beginning of her career she's thanked the black community for accepting her and, if you read her book and actually watch/look at interviewss, she talks aabout how its always black people who always had her back
She didn't say it in her book. She said it in an interview with a NY based magazine or article I believe last year before the release of her book. Why do you assume I'm lying? Mariah says different things depending on whose interviewing her.

anonimuswan

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
40,904 1,617 1,440
Alleybux
You

HAVE to be trolling. People are literally more likely to accept biracials like Zendaya Obama, Halle bc they look more visibly black than Mariah. Also, what are you talking about on the Beyonce part???
Are you serious? Mariah is more likely to be accepted by WHITE AMERICA than Zendaya, Obama, and Halle. White people called her white when she started her career until she corrected them. Mariah has white privilege and has talked about white people saying racist things in front of her. You must be talking about Black America in terms of acceptance other biracials have (Zendaya, Obama, Halle) than Mariah.

About Beyonce, I was talking about LSA. Beyonce (and other biracials) can't breathe without being criticized, yet Mariah gets a pass for her shady behavior.

user321

MVP
Reaction score
Reactions
3,515 120 14
Alleybux
OP, you're saying LSA has an unwavering bias towards Mariah, she gets a pass for everything as opposed to other biracials.

That should have give you an indication already. LSA gives Mariah a pass not because she is biracial. It is because LSA loves Mariah.

You know it is possible to not like someone even if he/she is black. Race/color is not the only reason for liking/hating a person.

I don't know why you have an issue over LSA loving Mariah. And you're wondering why ppl are thinking you're hating on Mariah.

EDIT: My bad, this is not for OP but for animouswan.

Last edited:

Lambily4ever

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
Reactions
9 1 15
Alleybux
Are you serious? Mariah is more likely to be accepted by WHITE AMERICA than Zendaya, Obama, and Halle. White people called her white when she started her career until she corrected them. Mariah has white privilege and has talked about white people saying racist things in front of her. You must be talking about Black America in terms of acceptance other biracials have (Zendaya, Obama, Halle) than Mariah.

About Beyonce, I was talking about LSA. Beyonce (and other biracials) can't breathe without being criticized, yet Mariah gets a pass for her shady behavior.
Okay, i thought you were talking in the terms of black ppl accepting her black. Yes Mariah's skin color makes her more acceptable to yt peole but they stopped liking her during butterfly era when she started working with rappers, more black ppl and making more R&B and hip hop music. Ive heard stories about how ppl's parents wouldnt allow them to listen to Mariah after that and they've said some incrediblely racist sh!t about her (they said tommy saved her from the hood and just watch Sandra's stand up show about her)

There was a big chunk of yt ppl who thought she as yt (not gonna deny that) but not all of them did. Even in her childhood she's talked about that. In one of her recent interveiws she talks about how she didn't get a roll in a play bc she looked too black

She has privilege for being light skinned, not yt privilege. If she had yt privilege then wouldnt of expericed racism for her race in the first place.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2021-02-07-06-53-19-1.png
    Screenshot_2021-02-07-06-53-19-1.png
    170.7 KB · Views: 43
  • Screenshot_2020-08-21-19-16-22-1-1.png
    Screenshot_2020-08-21-19-16-22-1-1.png
    168.1 KB · Views: 36

Lambily4ever

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
Reactions
9 1 15
Alleybux
She didn't say it in her book. She said it in an interview with a NY based magazine or article I believe last year before the release of her book. Why do you assume I'm lying? Mariah says different things depending on whose interviewing her.
I know what article you're talking about (I've read it many times) and she did not say that. This is an excerpt from the article you're talking about where she explains how black ppl (specifically black women) were the ones who had her back

On the Beyonce thing. Mariah literally gets so much for being shady and diva. That's probably the #1 misconception about her. You can find numerous articles about her "demanding" and "rude" behavior so pls dont play this. Even Monique talked about how Mariah is unfairly regarded as a rude diva (I can send you the link if you want)

Attachments

• Screenshot_2020-09-05-07-02-20-1-1.png
    Screenshot_2020-09-05-07-02-20-1-1.png
    197.5 KB · Views: 48
  • Screenshot_2020-08-31-04-39-00-1.png
    Screenshot_2020-08-31-04-39-00-1.png
    120.1 KB · Views: 51

anonimuswan

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
40,904 1,617 1,440
Alleybux

OP, you're saying LSA has an unwavering bias towards Mariah, she gets a pass for everything as opposed to other biracials.

That should have give you an indication already. LSA gives Mariah a pass not because she is biracial. It is because LSA loves Mariah.

You know it is possible to not like someone even if he/she is black. Race/color is not the only reason for liking/hating a person.

I don't know why you have an issue over LSA loving Mariah. And you're wondering why ppl are thinking you're hating on Mariah.

EDIT: My bad, this is not for OP but for animouswan.
I have an issue because LSA is hypocritical when it comes to Mariah. I'm not the only font who has commented about the hypocrisy. Mariah calls herself Black, and LSA agrees. Yet other biracials call themselves Black, and LSA has a meltdown. Also, don't get me started on how LSA puts down Black Legends to uplift Mariah who isn't Black.

Calling out the hypocrisy and bias LSA has for Mariah isn't hating, especially when other fonts have pointed this out as well.

If LSA loves Mariah, that's great. But don't put down other fonts who don't. Also, don't be hypocritical. Mariah isn't above criticism. No human is above criticism.

anonimuswan

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
40,904 1,617 1,440
Alleybux
I know what article you're talking about (I've read it many times) and she did not say that. This is an excerpt from the article you're talking about where she explains how black ppl (specifically black women) were the ones who had her back

On the Beyonce thing. Mariah literally gets so much for being shady and diva. That's probably the #1 misconception about her. You can find numerous articles about her "demanding" and "rude" behavior so pls dont play this. Even Monique talked about how Mariah is unfairly regarded as a rude diva (I can send you the link if you want)
I read that same article. Yes, she praised Black women for supporting her, but she also said she felt a "deep kind of pain" for not getting protection and support from some in the Black community.

Mariah has been rude. There's a thread in this forum about how producers on American Idol blamed Mariah for tension between her and Nicki. No, I don't care for Nicki and her music, but Nicki was respectful towards Mariah who was blatantly rude to Nicki. Mariah has always gotten a pass from her fans and the public for her shady behavior, yet Aretha is slammed for hers. That is white privilege, which you claim in another post she doesn't have. A Black woman could never get away with Mariah's behavior.

You have your opinion, and I have mine. We'll have to agree to disagree.

Lambily4ever

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
Reactions
9 1 15
Alleybux
I read that same article. Yes, she praised Black women for supporting her, but she also said she felt a "deep kind of pain" for not getting protection and support from some in the Black community.

Mariah has been rude. There's a thread in this forum about how producers on American Idol blamed Mariah for tension between her and Nicki. No, I don't care for Nicki and her music, but Nicki was respectful towards Mariah who was blatantly rude to Nicki. Mariah has always gotten a pass from her fans and the public for her shady behavior, yet Aretha is slammed for hers. That is white privilege, which you claim in another post she doesn't have. A Black woman could never get away with Mariah's behavior.

You have your opinion, and I have mine. We'll have to agree to disagree.
You're talking about an article from 2005 where she was talking about Sandra calling her the n word. She said that bc black ppl or whoever don't think she really experiences racism or stuff for being black bc she's so light (which is true. I've seen both downplay stuff like this bc they have a hard time believing it) even though she has so they're lenient to really say something about it or even believe it

Again, a lie. Both Nicki, Mariah and even Keith Urban (who was right there with them during that) talked about how the producers put them against eachother (I can send you vids of all of them saying it if you dont believe me) Even Billboard spoke about it so no, this isn't true

Mariah doesn't get away with sh!t. Again, literally the #1 misconception about her is that she's difficult to work with, rude and a diva. These rumors stem down from racism bc they only started after she divorced Tommy (her yt ex husband) and started "acting black". She has privilege for being light skinned, not yt privilege. If she had yt privilege she wouldn't of had yt ppl spitting in her face for being black

And there's really nothing to "agree or disagree" on bc what you're saying is factually incorrect

Attachments

• IMG_-5gdd7u.jpg
    IMG_-5gdd7u.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 40

anonimuswan

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
40,904 1,617 1,440
Alleybux
You're talking about an article from 2005 where she was talking about Sandra calling her the n word. She said that bc black ppl or whoever don't think she really experiences racism or stuff for being black bc she's so light (which is true. I've seen both downplay stuff like this bc they have a hard time believing it) even though she has so they're lenient to really say something about it or even believe it

Again, a lie. Both Nicki, Mariah and even Keith Urban (who was right there with them during that) talked about how the producers put them against eachother (I can send you vids of all of them saying it if you dont believe me) Even Billboard spoke about it so no, this isn't true

Mariah doesn't get away with sh!t. Again, literally the #1 misconception about her is that she's difficult to work with, rude and a diva. These rumors stem down from racism bc they only started after she divorced Tommy (her yt ex husband) and started "acting black". She has privilege for being light skinned, not yt privilege. If she had yt privilege she wouldn't of had yt ppl spitting in her face for being black

And there's really nothing to "agree or disagree" on bc what you're saying is factually incorrect
Mariah does have white privilege whether you agree or not. She said white people said racist things around her not knowing she wasn't white. If you can pass for white then you have white privilege. Just because Mariah faced racism doesn't make her black. Asians are currently being attacked for their race. Racism isn't exclusively a Black experience.

I don't know what article you're talking about but this article I'm referring to was released just last year to promote her memoir.

Mariah has been rude and shady in the past, even to Whitney until they worked together on their duet.

You're factually incorrect and being hostile for no reason.

I'm done with this old thread and going back and forth with you. Believe what you what, but don't get mad at me because I don't think Mariah is perfect or above criticism.

Breepo

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
5,723 344 281
Alleybux

You're missing her point quite badly.

Lambily4ever

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
Reactions
9 1 15
Alleybux
You're missing her point quite badly.
How? They said Mariah has yt privilege, doesn't get sh!t for things that ppl like Beyonce do, tried to say Mariah was rude on Idol, that Mariah begged the black community to be accepted and that she felt she wasn't accepted by the black community....None of this is true

Breepo

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
5,723 344 281
Alleybux
How? They said Mariah has yt privilege, doesn't get sh!t for things that ppl like Beyonce do, tried to say Mariah was rude on Idol, that Mariah begged the black community to be accepted and that she felt she wasn't accepted by the black community....None of this is true
Mimi does have white privilege since she is white-passing. She can still be, and has been, subject to anti-Black racism, but she has to make her background be known for that.

She doesn't get sh!t like Beyoncé specifically on LSA, not in the media.

The part about the Black community is true. Mimi does want to be accepted very strongly and seen as real, it hurts her whenever she senses some kind of rejection from that side of her since it's what she identifies with most. I disagree with anonimuswan's comment about her changing her story depending on whom she's talking to though, I've never seen her do that.

user321

MVP
Reaction score
Reactions
3,515 120 14
Alleybux

I have an issue because LSA is hypocritical when it comes to Mariah. I'm not the only font who has commented about the hypocrisy. Mariah calls herself Black, and LSA agrees. Yet other biracials call themselves Black, and LSA has a meltdown. Also, don't get me started on how LSA puts down Black Legends to uplift Mariah who isn't Black.

Calling out the hypocrisy and bias LSA has for Mariah isn't hating, especially when other fonts have pointed this out as well.

If LSA loves Mariah, that's great. But don't put down other fonts who don't. Also, don't be hypocritical. Mariah isn't above criticism. No human is above criticism.

Majority loves Mariah in LSA, but there are people like you who still criticize her here. Just like what I said, LSA in general loves Mariah. That explains it all. You don't agree with many, and you still was able to express your disagreement. And does LSA puts down what you said the Black Legends because she's lighter/biracial tho? You connect it with color, but maybe you downplay what make others love her more than the other Black Legends.

Do you only think that people love her only because of her color when she gets compared with the others? Do you not think that maybe they just really like Mariah more than the others overall? Like its probably her catalogue, her humor, her talent, that she supports this and that, etc., combined. They weigh people on their mind, who do they like more? Mariah's got good traits and bad, if in their minds, the good outweighs the bad and they love her still more than the other Black legends, then why would you think that they'll uplift someone else against her because the other legend is darker than her?

You can maybe ask why people in LSA loves her. And that would answer why people kept defending her. It is probably because the things they love about her outweigh her flaws. Her flaw is not a deal-breaker to them.

No human is above criticism, and some do criticize her. Just because it is not a majority, doesn't mean that she doesn't get criticized.

Lambily4ever

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
Reactions
9 1 15
Alleybux
Mimi does have white privilege since she is white-passing. She can still be, and has been, subject to anti-Black racism, but she has to make her background be known for that.

She doesn't get sh!t like Beyoncé specifically on LSA, not in the media.

The part about the Black community is true. Mimi does want to be accepted very strongly and seen as real, it hurts her whenever she senses some kind of rejection from that side of her since it's what she identifies with most. I disagree with anonimuswan's comment about her changing her story depending on whom she's talking to though, I've never seen her do that.
She doesn't have yt privilege She has privilege for being light skinned. If she had yt privilege she wouldn't of been the victim of racism from yt ppl.

I can't say a lot about Beyonce (I don't know much about her) but the media was ROUGH on Mariah. After she divorced Tommy they were racist towards her, they slut shamed her and it's the start of all these rumors. During 01-04 they made fun of her mental health constantly (just watch those Madtv vids) They depicted her as crazy, ppl thought her career was over and said that she couldn't make it without Tommy, they made fun of her weight and some were saying they wished she died instead of Aaliyah. 2014-2017 ppl went back to fat shaming, mocking her voice and saying stuff about her mental health. I don't think this stuff should be compared, but Mariah had it bad at one point

I agree that she wanted to be accepted by the black community (she's practically said that) but she's never begged for it

anonimuswan

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
40,904 1,617 1,440
Alleybux
Majority loves Mariah in LSA, but there are people like you who still criticize her here. Just like what I said, LSA in general loves Mariah. That explains it all. You don't agree with many, and you still was able to express your disagreement. And does LSA puts down what you said the Black Legends because she's lighter/biracial tho? You connect it with color, but maybe you downplay what make others love her more than the other Black Legends.

Do you only think that people love her only because of her color when she gets compared with the others? Do you not think that maybe they just really like Mariah more than the others overall? Like its probably her catalogue, her humor, her talent, that she supports this and that, etc., combined. They weigh people on their mind, who do they like more? Mariah's got good traits and bad, if in their minds, the good outweighs the bad and they love her still more than the other Black legends, then why would you think that they'll uplift someone else against her because the other legend is darker than her?

You can maybe ask why people in LSA loves her. And that would answer why people kept defending her. It is probably because the things they love about her outweigh her flaws. Her flaw is not a deal-breaker to them.

No human is above criticism, and some do criticize her. Just because it is not a majority, doesn't mean that she doesn't get criticized.
I don't care if others praise Mariah. I have praised her myself, especially her songwriting gifts. I used to be a stan of hers.

I just don't think it's right to put down Black Legends to uplift Mariah. I and other fonts have called out some Mariah stans for disparaging Whitney in particular.

I do think it's racial and I'm not the only font who has pointed this out.

Mariah is an icon and legend whose legacy speaks for itself. I respect her talent and legacy. I wish some of her stans showed the same respect to Black Legends and their legacies.

Last edited:

Breepo

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
5,723 344 281
Alleybux
She doesn't have yt privilege She has privilege for being light skinned. If she had yt privilege she wouldn't of been the victim of racism from yt ppl.

I can't say a lot about Beyonce (I don't know much about her) but the media was ROUGH on Mariah. After she divorced Tommy they were racist towards her, they slut shamed her and it's the start of all these rumors. During 01-04 they made fun of her mental health constantly (just watch those Madtv vids) They depicted her as crazy, ppl thought her career was over and said that she couldn't make it without Tommy, they made fun of her weight and some were saying they wished she died instead of Aaliyah. 2014-2017 ppl went back to fat shaming, mocking her voice and saying stuff about her mental health. I don't think this stuff should be compared, but Mariah had it bad at one point

I agree that she wanted to be accepted by the black community (she's practically said that) but she's never begged for it
...You're talking in circles and not listening to what other people are actually trying to tell you at all.

user321

MVP
Reaction score
Reactions
3,515 120 14
Alleybux
I don't care if others praise Mariah. I have praised her myself, especially her songwriting gifts. I used to be a stan of hers.

I just don't think it's right to put down Black Legends to uplift Mariah. I and other fonts have called out some Mariah stans for disparaging Whitney in particular.

I do think it's racial and I'm not the only font who has pointed this out.

Mariah is an icon and legend whose legacy speaks for itself. I respect her talent and legacy. I wish some of her stans showed the same respect to Black Legends and their legacies.

As I was saying, people have biases. This is an example of bias too, right? You said that you respect Mariah's talent and legacy but it seems you can't comprehend that many in LSA will like her more than the other Black Legends other than because she's lighter skinned. But then you can't explain why the other biracials are not as loved as her.

I've seen other stans here also put Mariah down. When the topic is a versus thing, there would be disagreements and would result to comparison. Mariah and the other legends both get criticized, it is not exclusive to your favorite.

anonimuswan

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
40,904 1,617 1,440
Alleybux
As I was saying, people have biases. This is an example of bias too, right? You said that you respect Mariah's talent and legacy but it seems you can't comprehend that many in LSA will like her more than the other Black Legends other than because she's lighter skinned. But then you can't explain why the other biracials are not as loved as her.

I've seen other stans here also put Mariah down. When the topic is a versus thing, there would be disagreements and would result to comparison. Mariah and the other legends both get criticized, it is not exclusive to your favorite.
I actually can comprehend just fine, especially when it comes to Mariah's popularity on LSA (and society). She and her music has been popular for 30 years.

There is bias towards Mariah on this site that is not given to other biracials whether you want to acknowledge it or not. It's not okay for LSA to say that Mariah can call herself black, but then say that other biracials can't. I've seen this done on numerous threads. I wish LSA was consistent and not hypocritical.

As far as her being "lighter skinned", there is historical fact that lighter skinned and white passing people (like Mariah) are put on a pedestal not only in society, but in the Black community (colorism). Mariah does get put on a pedestal because of her appearance (not her fault). Her being white passing has definitely benefited her in her career. Saying that doesn't discredit Mariah.

Yes, Mariah gets criticized, but she is not disrespected when she's criticized in comparison to Black Legends. Some Mariah stans are repugnant when defending her. Calling Whitney (who is deceased) Sh**ney, mocking her death, calling Diana Ross a hoe? That's uncalled for.

Again, defend Mariah without resorting to disparaging Black Legends.

Last edited:

user321

MVP
Reaction score
Reactions
3,515 120 14
Alleybux
I actually can comprehend just fine, especially when it comes to Mariah's popularity on LSA (and society). She and her music has been popular for 30 years.

There is bias towards Mariah on this site that is not given to other biracials whether you want to acknowledge it or not. It's not okay for LSA to say that Mariah can call herself black, but then say that other biracials can't. I've seen this done on numerous threads. I wish LSA was consistent and not hypocritical.

As far as her being "lighter skinned", there is historical fact that lighter skinned and white passing people (like Mariah) are put on a pedestal not only in society, but in the Black community (colorism). Mariah does get put on a pedestal because of her appearance (not her fault). Her being white passing has definitely benefited her in her career. Saying that doesn't discredit Mariah.

Yes, Mariah gets criticized, but she is not disrespected when she's criticized in comparison to Black Legends. Some Mariah stans are repugnant when defending her. Calling Whitney (who is deceased) Sh**ney, mocking her death, calling Diana Ross a hoe? That's uncalled for.

Again, defend Mariah without resorting to disparaging Black Legends.
I agree with the respect thing, that there were things that's uncalled for, but this thing is also not exclusive to Mariah stans. I've read mean things against Mariah as well. You probably don't read it because you are not as interested to her as your fave. Reading in a thread like she must have prostituted herself before her fame, etc., is also a disrespect.

I acknowledge that she's got some privilege, altho it is not the same privilege as the white people. But you said that her being liked in LSA is because it is a racial thing. However, she is liked more than other biracials who are light-skinned as well. So it cancels the "its a racial thing, no?" She's got qualities that many people like than the others. Liking someone is not based on color or race alone. It maybe a factor, just like others may like another artist because he/she is darker than the other. It works both ways. Again, as I've said, people have biases, however race or color alone is not the sole factor for liking someone.

Would you like it if someone said that you only like Whitney because she is darker than the other artists? Of course not, because you love Whitney's voice and how she performed her songs, etc. as well too. It is not just because of her color.

When you stated that many people are liking Mariah in LSA because it is a racial thing, you are dismissing her other qualities when it is possible to like her even by not considering her color. If they decided on their mind that it is because she sings great and writes beautiful songs and speaks right to their heart, is it still a racial thing? Just because many like her more than the other Black Legends does not mean that it is because of race.

Black people like Teena Marie, is it because she is white? Many would say they like Chris Evans more than, let's say Diddy who is Black, but is it only because Chris is white?

lucygoosey

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
146,382 9,968 3,306
Alleybux
Mariah is a one of the GOATs but she is a heavily mixed raced woman. Her father is African American and Venezuelan and he was mixed as well. In her interview with Oprah she said she felt like she didn't belong to either side growing up and that execs thought she was white.

anonimuswan

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
40,904 1,617 1,440
Alleybux

I agree with the respect thing, that there were things that's uncalled for, but this thing is also not exclusive to Mariah stans. I've read mean things against Mariah as well. You probably don't read it because you are not as interested to her as your fave. Reading in a thread like she must have prostituted herself before her fame, etc., is also a disrespect.

I acknowledge that she's got some privilege, altho it is not the same privilege as the white people. But you said that her being liked in LSA is because it is a racial thing. However, she is liked more than other biracials who are light-skinned as well. So it cancels the "its a racial thing, no?" She's got qualities that many people like than the others. Liking someone is not based on color or race alone. It maybe a factor, just like others may like another artist because he/she is darker than the other. It works both ways. Again, as I've said, people have biases, however race or color alone is not the sole factor for liking someone.

Would you like it if someone said that you only like Whitney because she is darker than the other artists? Of course not, because you love Whitney's voice and how she performed her songs, etc. as well too. It is not just because of her color.

When you stated that many people are liking Mariah in LSA because it is a racial thing, you are dismissing her other qualities when it is possible to like her even by not considering her color. If they decided on their mind that it is because she sings great and writes beautiful songs and speaks right to their heart, is it still a racial thing? Just because many like her more than the other Black Legends does not mean that it is because of race.

Black people like Teena Marie, is it because she is white? Many would say they like Chris Evans more than, let's say Diddy who is Black, but is it only because Chris is white?
I know that Mariah is liked because of her talent. I love her talent, particularly her lyrical songwriting talent.

However, there are people who do prefer her over Black Legends due to her appearance. Many white people, thinking she was white, supported her initially because they saw her as the white answer to Whitney Houston. Mariah did benefit from being racially ambiguous. I'm just pointing out that there are SOME who love her because of how she looks (on LSA and elsewhere) as well as those like yourself (and myself) who love her talent regardless of her race.

We'll have to agree to disagree.

user321

MVP
Reaction score
Reactions
3,515 120 14
Alleybux
^ There are some who love her, but I don't agree that the only factor why they love her is because of her appearance. That would probably be for the white people who are racist, but this is LSA, predominantly known as a Black website.

And yes, let us agree to disagree.

Molly Grue

¯⁠\⁠_⁠(⁠ツ⁠)⁠_⁠/⁠¯
Reaction score
Reactions
67,114 3,619 1,400
Alleybux
Mariah is a legend and Halsey is an embarrassing tryhard, blacks whites asians, no one wants her

Cryeisha

The High Priestess
Reaction score
Reactions
166,816 21,298 10,690
Alleybux
Mariah is biracial and Halsey is white (with distant admixture).

Mariah could be consider Afro Latina.

BROWNWOMAN20

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
3,663 359 473
Alleybux
Mariah and Halsey both have white mothers, but Halsey dad is half white/black, Mariah is definitely more multiracial. Her dad was half Black, and half Venezuelan (tri-racial), so she's very mixed.

BROWNWOMAN20

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
3,663 359 473
Alleybux
Both look more Caucasian than anything, but Mariah has more non European admixture.
received_820504908630392.jpeg

Attachments

• sub-buzz-19200-1534169656-7.jpg
    sub-buzz-19200-1534169656-7.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 27

BROWNWOMAN20

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
3,663 359 473
Alleybux
Mariah has had several nose jobs!

Attachments

• 294824-a-ses-debuts-mariah-carey-est-une-amp_fixed_height_big-3.jpg
    294824-a-ses-debuts-mariah-carey-est-une-amp_fixed_height_big-3.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 21
  • tumblr_olg3abW5aj1vc5zsdo1_1280.jpg
    tumblr_olg3abW5aj1vc5zsdo1_1280.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 20
  • 092fe50dd6a8d444426f86c6ed64394f.jpg
    092fe50dd6a8d444426f86c6ed64394f.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 21
  • Mc1990_105.jpg
    Mc1990_105.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 25

LooksLikeRain

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
78,662 1,450 501
Alleybux
I had to really think about this but

1) I grew up with Auntie Mimi
2) My mom's side is mixed (different dads) and her sisters always claimed and continue to claim Black so until I got grown, Mariah was Black to me
3) Hasley is annoying

booknlooks

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
178,055 5,722 2,288
Alleybux
Mariah and Halsey both have white mothers, but Halsey dad is half white/black, Mariah is definitely more multiracial. Her dad was half Black, and half Venezuelan (tri-racial), so she's very mixed.
Venezuelan is not a race and her dad's family was actually found out to be Afro Cuban on his dad's side. He was AA on his momma's side.

BROWNWOMAN20

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
3,663 359 473
Alleybux
Venezuelan is not a race and her dad's family was actually found out to be Afro Cuban on his dad's side. He was AA on his momma's side.
The man looked like a Mestizo mostly. Her grandfather had roots from Zuila, Venezuela. His mom was definitely Venezuelan, his dad is more of a mystery. Ok, he was half Cuban possibly, but his father could have been, but born in Cuba. The first pic is the population of Zuila State, Venezuela. He wasn't Afro Cuban like Laz Alonso. He was very European in appearance, and Indigenous looking. He identified more with being black in America, but it was the lesser of his heritage. He was definitely triracial with some African roots, but not a black man. He also had wavy hair.

Racial compositionPopulation%
Mestizo1,863,31550.3
White1,715,13946.3
Black103,7232.8
Other race22,2270.6

Attachments

• 47294_302022005557_0433-00558.jpg
    47294_302022005557_0433-00558.jpg
    175.9 KB · Views: 19
  • Remini20210828085335062.jpg
    Remini20210828085335062.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 15