Quantcast

What To Do About Roommate Stealing My Food?

Veganorexic

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
215 13 11
Alleybux
A few days ago, I woke up to make myself breakfast, and all of the food I had just purchased for myself was gone. That was over $50 in food. I had to spend the pocket money my parent gave me for this week to replace everything and I refuse to ask my parents for anymore money. It's unfair to them. I hate the campus food so my parent often gives me money to buy groceries. I am very finicky and mostly eat foods that are sold in health stores or ethnic stores like: freshly ground cashew butter, cashews, Haitian fresh baked bread, organic chicken breasts, diri Jon Jon(Haitian black rice with shrimp), pomegranates, guavas, etc. My roommate denied it but the two of us are the only two people in the room. We are the only ones with a key to the room and always lock the door when going out. We also never bring guests over so I know it was her even though she denies it. I also know that she is bulimic. She binges and purges sometimes. She has a note on her desk that states: "No More Binging and Purging!" I saw it because her desk is facing the door and she didn't take enough care to make sure it wasn't visible to anyone entering the room. I have never brought it up because I figured it really wasn't my business and she is of legal age so she can't be forced into treatment.

Now, I would be completely understanding if she had apologized and given me the money to buy my things back, but she didn't. She straight up lord to my face and claims that someone probably broke into the room. Why on Earth would someone break in just to steal food and why would they only steal food from me. She has her own food and she has a meal plan. So if she wanted to binge and purge, why not go out and buy her own food. We live next door to several dining halls and our school has a free food pantry for students and faculty who don't have enough food or money to buy food. Our school also has a mental health center for eating disordered people. However, she is much older than I so I find it inexcusable that she would pull this stunt.

I reported this this incident to the RA and was asked if I wanted to file a police report but I said no because that sounds extreme and that I just wanted to inform them so that if it happens again, we can take the appropriate action. I also didn't want to outright accuse her without catching her in the act so I let them pass on calling her down to speak to her. I know she did it because I heard her rummaging around through my things in the middle of the night when she thought I was sleeping. When I got up, she quickly took her jacket and left with whatever she was eating- which I'm sure was one of the things she took from me because I recognize the smell as being a Haitian dish and this girl is not Haitian or even any part Black.

For now, I had a lock placed on my fridge but I need ideas on how to hide food that doesn't need to be or can't be refrigerated. She is always in the room except for when she goes to the gym in the mornings and my parents just bought me food for this week since it's spring break and most of the dining halls are closed. I didn't go home because I am afraid of my things disappearing while I am gone even though this is the first time I have noticed things missing. Any ideas on where/how/when to hide my food that can't go in the fridge?

Teavana

xes Kitten
Reaction score
Reactions
601 18 7
Alleybux
1. Tell her that you know and she needs to stop.
2. File the police report if she persists. Stupid hoes need extremes to know how to be human beings.
3. Move if you can.
4. Buy locks for ALL your sh!t.

Moionfire

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
16,272 202 177
Alleybux
I can't believe people actually do this. Sorry OP. If you can somehow lock a separate fridge, I would do it.

PowerPuff

MVP
Reaction score
Reactions
1,177 30 11
Alleybux
There's not much you can do about it. Do you have your own room? If yes, get a mini fridge/freezer.

When I did a house share, I even stapled and cello taped the food packaging in the freezer and my housemate still eats it too with no conscience. I once confronted him late at night when he had the TV at full volume and grab the tv which he didn't contribute and put it in my room and locked the door. He was yelling and pounding outside my room. This was before I knew he was a druggie. If I had known this tidbit, I would have leave it alone till the next day.

At uni, I stopped letting my kitchen mates use my utensils too after one of them scrubbed the teflon coating of my Tefal pan and another didn't bother to clean my mini toaster oven. Grrr..that pan costs me £30. They can call me stingy but I DON'T CARE.

Veganorexic

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
215 13 11
Alleybux
1. Tell her that you know and she needs to stop.
2. File the police report if she persists. Stupid hoes need extremes to know how to be human beings.
3. Move if you can.
4. Buy locks for ALL your sh!t.

When I confronted her she denied it but I was sure to let her know that I already spoke to the RAs and a police report will be filed if it happens again.

There is only a month of school left so I doubt I will be able to move.

My parent just placed a lock on my fridge today but I have some other goods that can't be put in the fridge and I'm unsure of where to hide them. At first, I was going to place them in my suitcase and put a combination lock through the hold in the zipper but neither of my combination locks will fit. I have some stuff in my drawers underneath clothes but I have a huge can of crackers and don't know where to stash that.

Also this chick never leaves the room and she somehow accurately guessed my schedule and has it written down on a piece of paper behind some books on her desk. She's a creep and now she knows when I have class and won't be in the room. I have a full schedule so I'm gone from morning to night. This freak had to go through my textbooks on my desk and look up my lecture meeting times online because I don't keep a hard copy of my schedule around.

Teavana

xes Kitten
Reaction score
Reactions
601 18 7
Alleybux
When I confronted her she denied it but I was sure to let her know that I already spoke to the RAs and a police report will be filed if it happens again.

My parent just placed a lock on my fridge today but I have some other goods that can't be put in the fridge and I'm unsure of where to hide them. At first, I was going to place them in my suitcase and put a combination lock through the hold in the zipper but neither of my combination locks will fit. I have some stuff in my drawers underneath clothes but I have a huge can of crackers and don't know where to stash that. Also this chick never leaves the room and she somehow accurately guessed my schedule and has it written down on a piece of paper behind some books on her desk. She's a creep and know she knows when have class and won't be in the room. I have a full schedule so I'm gone from morning to night. This freak had to go through my textbook on my desk and look up my lecture meeting times online because I don't keep a hard copy of my schedule around.

Take a picture of your sh!t before and after...ooooor you can be like me and set up a glitter bomb... You can't get a rid of glitter.

Veganorexic

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
215 13 11
Alleybux
Take a picture of your sh!t before and after...ooooor you can be like me and set up a glitter bomb... You can't get a rid of glitter.

How do I set up a glitter bomb or must I purchase ins from somewhere? What about a web cam or a nanny cam? Is that legal?

Veganorexic

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
215 13 11
Alleybux
There's not much you can do about it. Do you have your own room? If yes, get a mini fridge/freezer.

When I did a house share, I even stapled and cello taped the food packaging in the freezer and my housemate still eats it too with no conscience. I once confronted him late at night when he had the TV at full volume and grab the tv which he didn't contribute and put it in my room and locked the door. He was yelling and pounding outside my room. This was before I knew he was a druggie. If I had known this tidbit, I would have leave it alone till the next day.

At uni, I stopped letting my kitchen mates use my utensils too after one of them scrubbed the teflon coating of my Tefal pan and another didn't bother to clean my mini toaster oven. Grrr..that pan costs me £30. They can call me stingy but I DON'T CARE.

We share a room and I now know she goes through my stuff when I'm not around.

texaco

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
1,012 44 41
Alleybux
School is almost over so just suck it up to experience.

Be sure not to room with her again and invest in a mini-fridge (that locks) in order to avoid this going forward.

Glen_Coco

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
19,982 2,215 223
Alleybux

My parent just placed a lock on my fridge today but I have some other goods that can't be put in the fridge and I'm unsure of where to hide them. At first, I was going to place them in my suitcase and put a combination lock through the hold in the zipper but neither of my combination locks will fit. I have some stuff in my drawers underneath clothes but I have a huge can of crackers and don't know where to stash that.

Also this chick never leaves the room and she somehow accurately guessed my schedule and has it written down on a piece of paper behind some books on her desk. She's a creep and now she knows when I have class and won't be in the room. I have a full schedule so I'm gone from morning to night. This freak had to go through my textbooks on my desk and look up my lecture meeting times online because I don't keep a hard copy of my schedule around.

I had this same problem with my old roommate. I ended up storing most of my food in my friends dorm room. Also, maybe you should think about setting up a hidden camera to try to catch her in the act and show the evidence to your RA.

Teavana

xes Kitten
Reaction score
Reactions
601 18 7
Alleybux
How do I set up a glitter bomb or must I purchase ins from somewhere? What about a web cam or a nanny cam? Is that legal?

If it's you sh!t and your property then it's fair game. However, you can not use deadly force to protect property.

GLITTER-BOMB.gif

JaneDoe2030

smokin cigarettes not payin my bills
Reaction score
Reactions
239,219 15,580 2,543
Alleybux
There would be a beat down if someone was eating my food in the middle of the night then throwing it up.

G A Z

Having a Smile On My Face All 2023 ʕ•́ᴥ•̀ʔっ
Reaction score
Reactions
153,709 2,861 986
Alleybux
For non refrigerated food get a storage chest that can be locked (I noe it sounds extreme but u ain't want that b!tch eating ur food no more). Store all your bread and chips and the like in there. Now if she is really that desperate enough that she would break the lock on ur chest instead of buying her own sh!t then its gonna be a problem. Me personally, I'm spiteful as hell so if I noticed anything missing I would rummage through that heffas stuff and take any money she got lying around to go and buy more groceries for myself. N well if she carry her wallet on her then reach in that b!tches pocket n pull out a $20. :e4_25:

Esmerie

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
102,483 2,009 953
Alleybux

Get a footlocker for your non-perishable items and then leave a "trap" for her like putting a little dish soap on some chips or cookies then wait to see if she says anything or leaving a note in the box calling her a thief/liar she'll get the message soon enough.

Floetress

The Conduit
Reaction score
Reactions
887 43 1
Alleybux
Any ideas on where/how/when to hide my food that can't go in the fridge?

I'm sorry you're experiencing this. Invest in a foot locker and padlock to keep your items secured in. I know for certain Walmart carries them at various prices. Hth......

CarmenJonesGal

Team Owner
Solutions
Reaction score
Reactions
367,593 10,222 2,157
Alleybux
She sounds like a basket case and I'd report her, you shouldn't have to live like that. She's stealing food then running off to the nearest bathroom, yacking her head off into the toilet! Oh no!
I'd tell that you've seen evidence of her eating disorder and you think your food is disappearing because of it. She is such a low down selfish witch!

PowerPuff

MVP
Reaction score
Reactions
1,177 30 11
Alleybux

Eekk..that's even worst. This was an option available at uni but I didn't even consider it as I do get paranoid if the other person might take photo when I'm asleep, go through my belongings or have smelly feet . How much longer do you have to room with her? Can you rent a locker in university and hide your food stash there? At this rate, you may have to get a large safe.

Petty Princess

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
177,390 1,590 358
Alleybux
Aww you guys are so nice. I was gonna suggest that OP put something a little "special" in her food for the roommate. LOL

Veganorexic

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
215 13 11
Alleybux
Eekk..that's even worst. This was an option available at uni but I didn't even consider it as I do get paranoid if the other person might take photo when I'm asleep, go through my belongings or have smelly feet . How much longer do you have to room with her? Can you rent a locker in university and hide your food stash there? At this rate, you may have to get a large safe.

Classes finish the second week of May. No, I don't think my university has that. I'm just going to get a storage container I can put my combination locks on.

BillieOcean

Stepped-Up Cookies
Reaction score
Reactions
40,804 1,363 520
Alleybux
My first impulse would be to poison her. And also my second impulse.

Why haven't you poisoned her yet?

lilcaps

Good family and friends
Reaction score
Reactions
31,613 604 108
Alleybux
I had a foot locker as well for dry goods plus my fem. pads, condiments. Any thing I didn't want anyone getting their hands on. I kept the key with me at all times. When I was in college I suspected a roomie of driving my car once, anything is possible.

Veganorexic

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
215 13 11
Alleybux
My first impulse would be to poison her. And also my second impulse.

Why haven't you poisoned her yet?

I don't want to have to resort to doing anything illegal. I did at one point consider tampering with my food and hoping she gets sick and learns a lesson. LOL, some of my friends offered to have a "chat" with her for me. My Shaquille O' Neal Like (in size) and very Black father just came to put a lock on my fridge so maybe seeing him will put some sense into her. She's Korean and don't they love to stereotype us as thieves? How ironic.

PowerPuff

MVP
Reaction score
Reactions
1,177 30 11
Alleybux
Classes finish the second week of May. No, I don't think my university has that. I'm just going to get a storage container I can put my combination locks on.

That must be a huge relief. I love spicy food so my then thieving roommate don't pinch it apart from my frozen food since I do love my fish fingers for busy days.

Enjoy the rest of campus days and don't let her get to you too much.

BillieOcean

Stepped-Up Cookies
Reaction score
Reactions
40,804 1,363 520
Alleybux
I don't want to have to resort to doing anything illegal. I did at one point consider tampering with my food and hoping she gets sick and learns a lesson. LOL, some of my friends offered to have a "chat" with her for me. My Shaquille O' Neal Like (in size) and very Black father just came to put a lock on my fridge so maybe seeing him will put some sense into her. She's Korean and don't they love to stereotype us as thieves? How ironic.

There are so many things to poison her with, most of which can't be proven as food tampering.

NA1908

Ebony Fury
Reaction score
Reactions
4,276 21 8
Alleybux

She is a loony. Do you mind saying what school you attend?

AVAF

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
1,119 31 9
Alleybux
I think I would ask for $$ to replace the food and the locks. I would then tell her if she didn't pay up I would file a report with campus and/or city police, tell her academic advisor, and call her parents.

Bulimia is a disease but stealing is a moral/character problem. Having a blemish on her record will not look good for future employment.

EBTQueen

General Manager
BANNED
Reaction score
Reactions
4,278 114 48
Alleybux
Whew y'all mean as hell about her eating disorder. Its not her eating disorder that deserves the scrutiny its the stealing that is the problem . She shouldn't be stealing. I'm bulimic and it is an AWFUL disorder. I spend so much money on food you wouldn't be able to fathom it. I hate it but I love it. I have never stole anyone's food before though .

Now excuse me while I make my brownie sundae to top off my binge....

Btw I'm sure your roomate is stealing food because she has no money . Bulimia will make you broke quick fast and in a hurry . I just spent 10 dollars on food to complete my binge. I bought a carton of ice cream and a pack of m& m's for my dinner binge .....I baked two pouches of brownie ....its real out here ... I just ate two huge bowls of mac and cheese and meatloaf , a big bag of bbq chips, sleeve of oreo cookies and I'm still not full. I'm about to slice my brownies and add ice cream and toppings ...

Allieduffy

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
462 8 1
Alleybux
If you nasty spit in it. If you're not just tell her that you did.

TonyaMore

Call Center Operator
Reaction score
Reactions
8,341 47 20
Alleybux
Yeah you need to lock your food up and if she leaves her wallet around, take her money. fµck that and if she asks about her money say "the same person who stealing my food must be taking your money" shuts them up quick.

one of my friends was stealing from me...and at first they were like "you lose items all the time." and i as like well, okay i do misplace things. so before i went to Hawaii, I counted some of the items I had and wrote it in my notepad and took a pic. When i got home, my things were gone. When they went to the bathroom, I went in their bag and found my things and took them back. later that day, they were looking for something in their bag and started frowning. after that, they kept their bag on them anytime they come over now...i waited for them to ask if i took the items but they didn't. but the thing was so petty....they haven't taken an item since. i haven't lost anything since that event.

Veganorexic

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
215 13 11
Alleybux
I think I would ask for $$ to replace the food and the locks. I would then tell her if she didn't pay up I would file a report with campus and/or city police, tell her academic advisor, and call her parents.

Bulimia is a disease but stealing is a moral/character problem. Having a blemish on her record will not look good for future employment.

She denies doing it but I made it known that I had to spend all of the rest of the cash I had on me to buy those things back. I also informed her that I spoke to the RAs and a police report ansolutely will be filed if it happens again.