1679163742916.png

FindingEve

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
577 50 157
Alleybux
Luther: The Fallen Sun

It is on Netflix. As a watcher from Season 1, Episode 1, I was transported to a decade old place. As a Londoner, it actually felt good seeing a depiction of the city I recognise.

As I gazed upon Idris, very lovely, very masculine face, I feasted for 2 hours.
The plot was good, a bit predictable, but the acting was solid. And it had Andy Serkis, which was a pleasant surprise. Lol, he acting was point on for those toffs that drive around London in their stupidly lavish cars and awful hair-dos!

It is a good 4/5.

Mira Mars

Don't quote me, please and thanks.
Reaction score
Reactions
93,845 3,272 934
Alleybux
MV5BNjNhMDU4ZTUtNzYwNi00NjI4LTg2OTMtMDE1ODBkYTA0NTgyXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjgyNjk3MzE@._V1_.jpg

Someone on here actually recommended this movie, and I figured since I liked Florence Pugh, it'd be cool to watch her in a modern take on Lady Macbeth. I didn't even bother to watch the trailer, which was a mistake since the movie had nothing to do with Lady Macbeth.

Do not watch this film unless you want to be enraged! At first I thought the casting was intentional, to show white feminism in all it's horror, then read up after that they simply did a race blind casting, smdh. That makes it even worse and hella racist. Spoiler! All the black and biracial characters end up dead or sentenced to death. Her trifling ass lover deserved it, but not the innocent maid or mixed child. Pugh's character kills multiple people, including said child, and gets away with it.

They had to gall to market this as a feminist film. Florence said in an interview that she could see some of herself in that evil ass character and was happy that she subverted the patriarchy, lmao. Basically fµck them negroes, right?! I genuinely don't like her now.

neo2014

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
16,535 860 317
Alleybux
Shazam! Fury of the Gods

Less Lightning

PRAISE: I have been trying to remember if Captain Marvel/Shazam still had the mind of a pre teen/teenager in the animated shows and comics like he does in these recent films which I find kind of annoying. I'm glad some portions of this movie focused on the character growing up because that's exactly what I wanted him to do.
Ok I was amused by some of the jokes in the film and the dramatic moments were effective. I thought Rachel Zegler was a great and charming addition to the cast. I thought the villains Kalypso and Hespera portrayed by Helen Mirren and Lucy Liu,were ok it was their display of various powers that impressed me.Theres some great SFX work, some of which reminded me of the old Ray Harryhausen
movies.

PROBLEMS: The first movie had this great and unexpected balance of darkness and humor and I felt this movie was lacking that. It's as if the writers and Director said let's play up the silliness and childishness. I say why ignore most of what made the first film very good? Some of the movie is eye rolling silly making characters look foolish and then some. Zachary Levi turns in a copy and paste performance. There is a way to play this character ,a little over confident and arrogant. Talking down to a villain sarcastically. In this Billy Batson is more mature than Shazam. There is a scene that would have been far more effective with especially what it's linked to but unfortunately someone at the WB decided to spoil it in the TV ads. One of the biggest ad fails ever.

Scale of 1 to 10 a 5½

lovedive

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
18,901 2,268 75
Alleybux
Posession 1981
One of the few horror movies that genuinely made me uncomfortable. The acting here is top tier especially from Isabelle Adjani. I have a loose idea about what the movie is about but it is hard to interpret. The plot is about a marriage that is in shambles and the increasingly erratic and psychotic behaviour of the wife Anna.
the-corvid-review-possession-1981.jpg

Dink30

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
17,706 294 46
Alleybux
I watched Silence of the Lambs again last night.

Anthony Hopkins as Lector is terrifying every time, and he steals the film even only having a few scenes with Jodie throughout. Buffalo Bill is also scary with his crazy self.

I don't understand why they had those two guards feeding Lector without video feed, etc, but perhaps it was the lack of technology at that time. He sure had a lot of time to work with their bodies after the kill.

Bwaahahaha

Beyond my prime and loving it!!!‍‍♀️✌
Reaction score
Reactions
9,497 360 45
Alleybux
Me and my dude saw A Snowy Day in Oakland over the weekend. Overall, it was good but a little too much of a think-piece for my current mindset. When I saw Deon Cole and Loretta Devine in the credits, I thought it was gonna be a comedy but more like a dramedy. It does start slow but it takes about half an hour to feel the tone of the story and characters. We both took a short nap (we're both over 35 and had a big meal before, LOL) at certain points but if you have nothing to do this weekend, I'd recommend it.

Closure

Trying to grow without hating the process
Reaction score
Reactions
224,166 37,264 4,427
Alleybux
Black Box (2020)

MV5BZDExM2Y5MzYtYmMxNS00ZWU4LTkwYzEtY2JiMWU2NTFlZWM5XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyODE0OTU5Nzg@._V1_.jpg

I recently watched Black Box and was pleasantly surprised by the film's strong points. The acting was commendable, the storyline was intriguing, and I found myself engaged throughout the duration of the movie.

Although I recall avoiding this film in the past for reasons that escape me, I would recommend it to fans of horror and unique plotlines, particularly those who appreciate Horror films with a primarily or all-Black cast.

While I don't want to give away any spoilers, I must say that the film exceeded my initial expectations, with excellent casting choices and well-executed storytelling.

Overall, I believe that Black Box is a solid entry in the genre and a welcome addition to the world of cinema.

Zelda Pooh

Tubi or Not Tubi?
Reaction score
Reactions
20,518 460 9
Alleybux
I'm Home.
Summary: Arrested at a murder scene covered in blood, a career felon tells the tragic and somewhat misleading events leading up to the slaughter of his girlfriend in this mystery thriller.

https://link.tubi.tv/z4d9CQVymyb

It was Tubi so.... meh. the main actor looked like Drake and MBJ hybrid so that was a little distracting.

nicole91019

The beautiful one.
Reaction score
Reactions
19,596 125 9
Alleybux
1679507125657.jpeg

Truly a great film. Can’t believe it’s taken me so long to watch it considering I’m a huge lover of dance and Bob Fosse’s style.

Reaction score
Reactions
137,662 4,045 599
Alleybux
It's a different kind of movie but if you've seen "The Strangers" ... This movie left me feeling the same way :sad7 ... But I do suggest watching it because it's a warning and so f*cking real.
1679508988110.png

Gwendolina

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
44,378 915 197
Alleybux
It's a different kind of movie but if you've seen "The Strangers" ... This movie left me feeling the same way :sad7 ... But I do suggest watching it because it's a warning and so f*cking real.
View attachment 4600506
Thank you! I just saw this the other night and was going to post it myself. A very sad but necessary film. The ending makes your soul drop.

Jeepster

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
3,924 45 6
Alleybux
I saw 3 in two days in this order:

RYE LANE
FralMvDXgAAVpjK

The romcom is back in this British movie set in South London. A mostly black cast, authentic setting, lovely dialogue and chemistry between the leads. Loved, loved it.

Basic non spoiler plot.
Dom (David Jonsson) splits up with girlfriend Gia and has an emotional breakdown. Yas (Vivian Oparah) has an important job interview and has recently broken up with her self righteous dickhead of a boyfriend. In the unisex toilets of a central London Art Gallery, where a mutual friend is holding an exhibition, Yas overhears Dom sobbing in the cubicle as he laments Gia. Over the course of the day, Yas and Dom bond and along the way there is fun, laughter, tears, and possibly love.

From the simplest of premises the director, Raine Allen Miller, writer Nathan Byron and actors: Vivian Oparah and David Jonsson manage to craft a really lovely little gem of a movie. The wholly believable central couple have a natural chemistry and quirkiness that draws you into their world.
It is both refreshing and heartening to see a majority black cast. They resemble the types of people you would or could meet in everyday life. Even the larger than life characters are not extreme or unrealistic.
Loved it.
5/5

BROKER

FQBONoAaUAIOs1M

New Korean drama.
Another Korean banger which centres on baby trafficking, a murder, and redemption.

Basic non spoiler plot
Ha Sang-hyeon (played by Parasite's Song Kang-ho ) is the owner of a hand laundry and volunteers at the nearby church, where his friend Dong-soo ( played by Gang Dong-won ) works. The church has a baby box where abandon babies can be left. Moon So-young (played by Lee Ji-eun) leaves her baby there one night. Ha Sang-hyeon and Dong-soo run an illegal business selling babies. A policewoman (Bae Donna) and her sidekick are on the trail of the traffickers and stake out the baby box.

The disparate strands of the movie are woven together really well and the acting is top rate all round.
Song Kang-ho once again puts in a terrific performance, at times comical and heart warming but ultimately tragic. He and his sidekick are the nicest baby traffickers you could ever meet.
Highly recommended.
4/5

RASHOMON 1950
FcYpEH_aAAEnDLt

'Tis the year of the Akira Kurosawa seasons and re releases. The BFI have just finished a major retrospective of his work, and I saw most of the ones I wanted to see again on the big screen, but missed Rashomon, so I was delighted that an independent cinema quite near where I live in London was showing it. I really love watching old films on a big screen because that's how they were meant to be seen.

This film gave cinema a new word and technique. The Rashomon effect is a storytelling and writing device in cinema, in which an event is given contradictory interpretations/descriptions by the individuals involved, thereby providing different perspectives and points of view of the same incident.

This film which stars Kurosawa's long term acting collaborator Toshiro Mifune was the one that really brought him to the attention of western audiences.
The plot non spoiler plot involves the death of a Samurai in a forest, but how he dies, why he dies and who is the killer are retold differently at the trial by the eye witnesses: Tajōmaru the bandit, the Samurai's wife and the Samurai himself through a medium!
The 4th eye witness, a woodcutter, does not testify at the trial, but tells his story afterwards to a priest.

As with all Kurosawa movies, it is beautifully shot, every scene like a painting.
It is rightly seen as a seminal work and masterpiece in cinematic history.
5/5

Last edited:

zansanchez

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
14,433 1,458 203
Alleybux
I saw 3 in two days in this order:

RYE LANE
FralMvDXgAAVpjK

The romcom is back in this British movie set in South London. A mostly black cast, authentic setting, lovely dialogue and chemistry between the leads. Loved, loved it.

Basic non spoiler plot.
Dom (David Jonsson) splits up with girlfriend Gia and has an emotional breakdown. Yas (Vivian Oparah) has an important job interview and has recently broken up with her self righteous dickhead of a boyfriend. In the unisex toilets of a central London Art Gallery, where a mutual friend is holding an exhibition, Yas overhears Dom sobbing in the cubicle as he laments Gia. Over the course of the day, Yas and Dom bond and along the way there is fun, laughter, tears, and possibly love.

From the simplest of premises the director, Raine Allen Miller, writer Nathan Byron and actors: Vivian Oparah and David Jonsson manage to craft a really lovely little gem of a movie. The wholly believable central couple have a natural chemistry and quirkiness that draws you into their world.
It is both refreshing and heartening to see a majority black cast. They resemble the types of people you would or could meet in everyday life. Even the larger than life characters are not extreme or unrealistic.
Loved it.
5/5

BROKER

FQBONoAaUAIOs1M

New Korean drama.
Another Korean banger which centres on baby trafficking, a murder, and redemption.

Basic non spoiler plot
Ha Sang-hyeon (played by Parasite's Song Kang-ho ) is the owner of a hand laundry and volunteers at the nearby church, where his friend Dong-soo ( played by Gang Dong-won ) works. The church has a baby box where abandon babies can be left. Moon So-young (played by Lee Ji-eun) leaves her baby there one night. Ha Sang-hyeon and Dong-soo run an illegal business selling babies. A policewoman (Bae Donna) and her sidekick are on the trail of the traffickers and stake out the baby box.

The disparate strands of the movie are woven together really well and the acting is top rate all round.
Song Kang-ho once again puts in a terrific performance, at times comical and heart warming but ultimately tragic. He and his sidekick are the nicest baby traffickers you could ever meet.
Highly recommended.
4/5

RASHOMON 1950
FcYpEH_aAAEnDLt

'Tis the year of the Akira Kurosawa seasons and re releases. The BFI have just finished a major retrospective of his work, and I saw most of the ones I wanted to see again on the big screen, but missed Rashomon, so I was delighted that an independent cinema quite near where I live in London was showing it. I really love watching old films on a big screen because that's how they were meant to be seen.

This film gave cinema a new word and technique. The Rashomon effect is a storytelling and writing device in cinema, in which an event is given contradictory interpretations/descriptions by the individuals involved, thereby providing different perspectives and points of view of the same incident.

This film which stars Kurosawa's long term acting collaborator Toshiro Mifune was the one that really brought him to the attention of western audiences.
The plot non spoiler plot involves the death of a Samurai in a forest, but how he dies, why he dies and who is the killer are retold differently at the trial by the eye witnesses: Tajōmaru the bandit, the Samurai's wife and the Samurai himself through a medium!
The 4th eye witness, a woodcutter, does not testify at the trial, but tells his story afterwards to a priest.

As with all Kurosawa movies, it is beautifully shot, every scene like a painting.
It is rightly seen as a seminal work and masterpiece in cinematic history.
5/5
thanks!
need to see rashomon again
yes! so influential
& machiko kyo

neo2014

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
16,535 860 317
Alleybux
John Wick : Chapter 4

Wick's Wrath

PRAISE : In this fourth chapter in the book of John Wick the price on his head is increasing, so legendary hit man John Wick takes his fight against the High Table global as he seeks out the most powerful players in the underworld, from New York to Paris to Japan to Berlin.
High praise to Keanu Reeves who gives his all in incredibly choreographed and relentless action sequences. Kudos to the cast including Basil Iwanyk; Erica Lee; Chad Stahelski · Shamier Anderson. Donnie Yen · Bill Skarsgård · Laurence Fishburne · Hiroyuki Sanada the beautiful Rina Sawayama and the late great Lance Reddick.
I liked that the characters are asking the same questions and coming to the same realizations as the audiences are for the John Wick movies.
The action sequences and fight scenes are so much fun ,thrilling and plentiful that even the thirstiest action fans thirst should be quenched.
There is a unique style the choreographers get to play with in the fight scenes that I really enjoyed watching. The cinema photography is great as it and the sets seems to embrace the characters as they fight it out.
About 45 minutes in I said to myself how are they going to do this so it doesn't become repetitive and man oh man do they come up with some great stuff.

PROBLEMS : The acting is a bit shallow at times. A couple of story threads go right down predictable paths. Of course portions of the action sequences are over the top in either what's occurring in them and really how much can the HUMAN body endure ?!?

Scale of 1 to 10 an 8½

firedragon

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
65,883 2,570 1,563
Alleybux
View attachment 4607660

Terrible load of crap. A male fantasy. Julianne Moore thinks she old and dried up. Husband Liam Neeson gets 20 years-olds hitting on him left and right (as if). Amanda Seyfried is a prostitute hired to tempt him just to see if he'll take the bait. The scenes of Seyfried and Neeson making out are a total lie. Seyfried is obsessed with Moore so they have graphic lesbian xes. When grappling to get her out of her house Moore accidentally pushes Seyfried through the window killing her. Yes this fabulous, modern house (the couple is rich) was so poorly designed that pushing someone as small as Amanda Seyfried a few feet sends her right though the glass wall. Oh and Moore and Neeson's teenage son hates his mom for no reason at all, though she tolerates him having xes in their home.

neo2014

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
16,535 860 317
Alleybux
Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves

Surprisingly not a Drag

PRAISE: I remember loving the Dungeons & Dragons animated show. There were so many board games at the summer camp I used to go to and umong them were Dungeons and Dragons. I know fans of the game will say it's much more than just a board game and I can happily say Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves is much more than I expected.
I was really surprised at how this blend of heart,humor and menace really worked. The ensemble cast really worked well together. The movie definitely played with the strengths of Hugh Grant's personality.
The humor and sarcasm throughout the film worked for me. There is a terrific chase scene that is unlike any other I've seen in movies like this. Speaking of standouts a scene featuring the antagonist was done very well with the right amount of SFX. I also enjoyed a surprising cameo in this movie. I had to ask twice is that who I think it is? I did like the fact that they used practical effects in the movie not that the CGI was bad or anything. I definitely got a Guardians of the Galaxy vibe throughout the movie.

PROBLEMS: Several times the movie makes a diversion from its strengths and ends up in areas that stall the movie. Definitely a couple of predictable turns and story threads.

Scale of 1 to 10 a 7½

Uffie

deadass
Reaction score
Reactions
60,313 3,421 84
Alleybux
Watched this horror/thriller film last night on Hulu called Piggy. Was fully expecting it to be super campy, and while it is a little, I was genuinely surprised how much I enjoyed it.

They build it up as a revenge type of story and it was a fun watch, the acting was great as well.

Reaction score
Reactions
6,868 110 6
Alleybux
I watched the 2018 movie "Bad times at the El Royale" on Amazon. It was a trip of a movie. It held my attention. I'd give it a solid 7.5. The trailer doesn't really convey what the movie was about, but here it is:

Last edited:

Gwendolina

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
44,378 915 197
Alleybux
I watched the 2018 movie "Bad times at the El Royale" on HBO. It was a trip of a movie. It held my attention. I'd give it a solid 7.5. The trailer doesn't really convey what the movie was about, but here it is:

Looks interesting, I might watch this one later.

Reaction score
Reactions
6,868 110 6
Alleybux
I watched the 2018 movie "Bad times at the El Royale" on Amazon. It was a trip of a movie. It held my attention. I'd give it a solid 7.5. The trailer doesn't really convey what the movie was about, but here it is:

I had to edit this. It was on Amazon not HBO.

NicholeRose

all sunshine and flowers :)
Reaction score
Reactions
13,235 169 28
Alleybux
MV5BMzkyMjU1ZjMtMDJlMS00M2YzLWJhZDQtYjFjZTUyMzI2MDViXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMzQyMDgzOTU@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg

3-212.jpg

“Now full-time detectives struggling to get their private eye agency off the ground, Nick and Audrey Spitz find themselves at the center of an international abduction when their friend the Maharaja is kidnapped at his own lavish wedding.”

I had fun watching the 2nd movie, the first one was ok, but this one was better. Silly fun popcorn movie, classic Sandler. Him and Jen make a fun comedic team. Loved the locations for the movie.

mL6314_1024x1024.jpg

giphy.gif

Traveling to Detroit for a job interview, a young woman books a rental home. But when she arrives late at night, she discovers that the house is double booked and a strange man is already staying there. Against her better judgement, she decides to spend the evening, but soon discovers that there's a lot more to fear than just an unexpected house guest.

Very different from what I expected, but really good. Very creepy, claustrophobic and has many unexpected twists and turns. Good horror movie. Two thumbs up.