Quantcast

What's the Point of Therapy?

incogneato

No face, no case.
Reaction score
Reactions
2,688,508 494,801 222,814
Alleybux
How is therapy supposed to work? The therapist asks about my concerns, but can't do anything to help as she's not a psychiatrist. The psychiatrist, I see every 3 months. The appointments are far apart to be useful. There are other things I rather spent 30 minutes on, but I need to have therapy appointments to get the meds.

Retired

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
73,592 3,537 2,579
Alleybux
I feel like you’re being dense and useless. The whole point of therapy is to verbalize your trauma which is healing and to learn the skills to cope with it.

JasminaRege

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
87,431 2,947 1,348
Alleybux
A therapist is a safe sounding board for you to talk to and they help you understand what you're feeling and going through. Everything you tell them is confidential, they're just helping you find healthy ways to deal with whatever you need to deal with and let go of what you need to let go of.

Reaction score
Reactions
3,100 60 61
Alleybux
It might depend on what you think she's supposed to 'do'? Mine uses our time to help me think in different ways about things that bother me or trip me up. She also helps me identify patterns of thinking that keep me in a bad place, and come up with strategies to deal with them more productively. Therapists aren't magic, and can't give you the 'answers', but a good one can help you work through your problems if that's what you want. Psychiatrists often don't do much but assess how you are reacting/ responding to your meds and adjust if necessary.

Onyxprincess

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
26,150 1,546 1,886
Alleybux
How is therapy supposed to work? The therapist asks about my concerns, but can't do anything to help as she's not a psychiatrist. The psychiatrist, I see every 3 months. The appointments are far apart to be useful. There are other things I rather spent 30 minutes on, but I need to have therapy appointments to get the meds.
“Help” isn’t just meds for a lot of ppl mental-health wise.

Meds don’t help with everything.

Psychiatrists often rec therapy in conjunction because they feel ppl, need both.

To be honest psych meds are not correct For everyone. Most pp could benefit from talk therapy.

incogneato

No face, no case.
Reaction score
Reactions
Alleybux
A therapist is a safe sounding board for you to talk to and they help you understand what you're feeling and going through. Everything you tell them is confidential, they're just helping you find healthy ways to deal with whatever you need to deal with and let go of what you need to let go of.

What if you have nothing to talk about or not feeling anything at the moment? I have nice life and no trauma. I cope pretty well with the right medication. I already have people to talk to and trust more than some stranger. I only thing I have questions about is meds.

It might depend on what you think she's supposed to 'do'? Mine uses our time to help me think in different ways about things that bother me or trip me up. She also helps me identify patterns of thinking that keep me in a bad place, and come up with strategies to deal with them more productively. Therapists aren't magic, and can't give you the 'answers', but a good one can help you work through your problems if that's what you want. Psychiatrists often don't do much but assess how you are reacting/ responding to your meds and adjust if necessary.

I didn't know what to expect. I had hope to be shown inkblots and guess what they were. Something fun, interesting and educational. What I had so far is just talking. There's no activities.

Jeff Bezos

I’m a lady
Solutions
Reaction score
Reactions
240,967 6,028 2,399
Alleybux
If you don't think your current therapist fits you, get another one.

The therapist asks about my concerns, but can't do anything to help as she's not a psychiatrist.
What exactly do you mean by "can't do anything to help"? I don't want to read too much into this but just in case I'm not.. a therapist isn't there to solve your problems or save you, but rather help you save yourself through talking. There are several different forms/styles of talk therapy. Try looking them up and seeing which one might fit you, then try to find a therapist who can do that.

incogneato

No face, no case.
Reaction score
Reactions
Alleybux
“Help” isn’t just meds for a lot of ppl mental-health wise.

Meds don’t help with everything.

Psychiatrists often rec therapy in conjunction because they feel ppl, need both.

To be honest psych meds are not correct For everyone. Most pp could benefit from talk therapy.
I feel like meds or something like ECT are my only options, because I don't have a reason to be depressed.

If you don't think your current therapist fits you, get another one.

What exactly do you mean by "can't do anything to help"? I don't want to read too much into this but just in case I'm not.. a therapist isn't there to solve your problems or save you, but rather help you save yourself through talking. There are several different forms/styles of talk therapy. Try looking them up and seeing which one might fit you, then try to find a therapist who can do that.

I had hope that I'd get advice when I need it. When I told the therapist that I don't think life is worth living, she just said something about my family being sad if I were to kill myself. Who said that I was going to kill myself? Why would their feelings matter to me if I was dead? IDK, maybe she's just not doing her job right.

I'll see what other types of therapy my hospital offers. Are there other types of therapy besides talk therapy? Maybe with some activities? I get bored if it's just talking.

queendaboss

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
12,975 380 83
Alleybux
I won’t lie therapy was hard for me in the beginning but I am so happy I was brave enough to do it.

KarenKing

Ralph Sidora's beard airbrush artist
Reaction score
Reactions
112,463 6,473 774
Alleybux
I feel like meds or something like ECT are my only options, because I don't have a reason to be depressed.

I had hope that I'd get advice when I need it. When I told the therapist that I don't think life is worth living, she just said something about my family being sad if I were to kill myself. Who said that I was going to kill myself? Why would their feelings matter to me if I was dead? IDK, maybe she's just not doing her job right.

I'll see what other types of therapy my hospital offers. Are there other types of therapy besides talk therapy? Maybe with some activities? I get bored if it's just talking.

you can look into therapists who specialize in DBT/CBT which are more active-based treatments. You said earlier in the thread you have no traumas or "reason" why you're depressed. Perhaps that's the case, but some people do suppress things so far to the point they can no longer identify consciously what's making them depressed. During your next session, try asking your therapist to guide you through mapping out your past, from infancy, childhood, teen years etc. Discuss your family structure and your relationship with your parents (any abuse, neglect, abandonment etc). Even if you don't think anything is "wrong", something you may say will give the therapist, and yourself insight into what's going on.

snapienickie

succubus
Reaction score
Reactions
120,039 4,386 383
Alleybux
I feel like you’re being dense and useless.
giphy.gif

Reaction score
Reactions
7,774 47 26
Alleybux
Therapy is great for people with very specific traumas or without others in their life they can speak with personally/intimately.

It doesn't necessarily "fix" anything and it's way too often thrown out as a "solution" aka "go to therapy" but....going to therapy doesn't automatically fix anything....nor does talking about it or hearing an alternative solution.

Most of what a therapist will tell you can be read online for free. You're paying someone to listen and then tailor that freely available advice to you.

incogneato

No face, no case.
Reaction score
Reactions
Alleybux
What if you have nothing to talk about or not feeling anything at the moment? I have nice life and no trauma. I cope pretty well with the right medication. I already have people to talk to and trust more than some stranger. I only thing I have questions about is meds.

I didn't know what to expect. I had hope to be shown inkblots and guess what they were. Something fun, interesting and educational. What I had so far is just talking. There's no activities.

So your insurance company mandates that you see a therapist? Because what therapists do is listen and offer suggestions. If you have wise friends and family, they can take care of that part. But therapists are paid to listen to you go on and on. Friends and family may tire of it.

I finally was able to convince my therapist that with meds, I could handle the rest myself. I'm doing fine. I have a chemical imbalance that I'm addressing. So......

incogneato

No face, no case.
Reaction score
Reactions
Alleybux
you can look into therapists who specialize in DBT/CBT which are more active-based treatments. You said earlier in the thread you have no traumas or "reason" why you're depressed. Perhaps that's the case, but some people do suppress things so far to the point they can no longer identify consciously what's making them depressed. During your next session, try asking your therapist to guide you through mapping out your past, from infancy, childhood, teen years etc. Discuss your family structure and your relationship with your parents (any abuse, neglect, abandonment etc). Even if you don't think anything is "wrong", something you may say will give the therapist, and yourself insight into what's going on.

I thought I was getting CBT therapy. I may have to confirm. We went over my background in the earlier sessions. I have been in therapy for 4 months.

So your insurance company mandates that you see a therapist? Because what therapists do is listen and offer suggestions. If you have wise friends and family, they can take care of that part. But therapists are paid to listen to you go on and on. Friends and family may tire of it.

I finally was able to convince my therapist that with meds, I could handle the rest myself. I'm doing fine. I have a chemical imbalance that I'm addressing. So......

Not my insurance, the hospital only offers meds if in therapy. I would have picked another if I had options. The hospital is supposed to be the best in the area.

I have the appointments every other week. Maybe I can discuss decreasing the frequency of the appointments with the therapist.

CatThot

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
80,508 2,789 1,293
Alleybux
I thought I was getting CBT therapy. I may have to confirm. We went over my background in the earlier sessions. I have been in therapy for 4 months.

Not my insurance, the hospital only offers meds if in therapy. I would have picked another if I had options. The hospital is supposed to be the best in the area.

I have the appointments every other week. Maybe I can discuss decreasing the frequency of the appointments with the therapist.
OP it sounds like you already decided that you do not like therapy and not open to it, so why would it work for you?

You got to put in the work too. Plus you cannot rely on family and friends for your emotional needs that is unfair to them and selfish.

Are you diagnosed with anything?

gts

MVP
Reaction score
Reactions
2,320 86 112
Alleybux
The point of therapy is to make the therapist money. Only you can workout your issues/decide your life. A good therapist can facilitate that but its not a magic solution like sometimes portrayed.

incogneato

No face, no case.
Reaction score
Reactions
Alleybux
OP it sounds like you already decided that you do not like therapy and not open to it, so why would it work for you?

You got to put in the work too. Plus you cannot rely on family and friends for your emotional needs that is unfair to them and selfish.

Are you diagnosed with anything?
I doubt that therapy will be helpful for me, but I try to keep an open mind. The experience has disappointed me; I cannot lie.

I most certainly can rely on my family and friends for emotional support. That's what they're for. I would've and have done the same for them.

I've been diagnosed with depression.

biurabigotxo

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
24,657 4,316 10,112
Alleybux

I don't think anybody has "no trauma", but if you do, either A: you lucked out
or B: Molly you're in danger girl

CatThot

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
80,508 2,789 1,293
Alleybux
I doubt that therapy will be helpful for me, but I try to keep an open mind. The experience has disappointed me; I cannot lie.

I most certainly can rely on my family and friends for emotional support. That's what they're for. I would've and have done the same for them.

I've been diagnosed with
depression.

They may not say it directly but if you are constantly venting and ranting about your problems to your loved ones they will get tired of you and will resent you. People that don't have depression may not get it or will have the tools or language to deal with you

When were you diagnosed?
Are you a male or female? What about your therapist?

Maybe you need a new therapist?

incogneato

No face, no case.
Reaction score
Reactions
Alleybux
Therapy is great for people with very specific traumas or without others in their life they can speak with personally/intimately.

It doesn't necessarily "fix" anything and it's way too often thrown out as a "solution" aka "go to therapy" but....going to therapy doesn't automatically fix anything....nor does talking about it or hearing an alternative solution.

Most of what a therapist will tell you can be read online for free. You're paying someone to listen and then tailor that freely available advice to you.
My opinion is yeah and no to the last part. Like my therapist gives me her opinion and since she’s a successful Black woman herself who’s been in my shoes I listen. She’s teared up telling me her story as well. I should note that I ALLOW her to be as free as she wants. Therapists cannot introduce religion, their opinion, or anything not pertaining to YOUR issues unless you want them. My therapist follows me on IG because my business is tailored to Instagram and one of my biggest problems is putting myself out there, so she is able to see my IG feed. I gave her permission and even asked her to. Your biggest hurdle is going to be finding a good therapist. I got blessed on my first time but it’s not always this simple. Therapists are there to help but they can only be as helpful as you allow them to be.

Molly Grue

¯⁠\⁠_⁠(⁠ツ⁠)⁠_⁠/⁠¯
Reaction score
Reactions
67,099 3,618 1,400
Alleybux
There are different types of therapies so the "point" and what you do in your sessions depends on your type of therapist. I go to an IFS/somatic therapist so it's not just talk therapy, which I agree, wasn't the most helpful for me. A lot of psychiatrists require you to see a therapist while getting medications because those meds can be dangerous and people taking them should at least be checked in on more often. They're just monitoring you to make sure you're doing well.

I don't know why you take meds or anything but if you're looking for "activities" there are plenty of workbooks full of self-help activities. You could do those on your own, or tell your therapist you want to do them and talk about them in your sessions. Some therapists do give homework so again, it just depends on the person you're seeing.

incogneato

No face, no case.
Reaction score
Reactions
Alleybux
They may not say it directly but if you are constantly venting and ranting about your problems to your loved ones they will get tired of you and will resent you. People that don't have depression may not get it or will have the tools or language to deal with you

When were you diagnosed?
Are you a male or female? What about your therapist?

Maybe you need a new therapist?
I think that's a negative way of seeing things. If you can't talk to your friends and family if you need to, then why bother? Sometimes other people can come up with solutions you wouldn't think of, so I've learned to speak up when I have a problem.

It's been a few years since I've been diagnosed. Both the therapist and myself are female.

Maybe a new therapist is needed, IDK. But I'm unsure what to use these sessions for if they can't make changes to medication.

There are different types of therapies so the "point" and what you do in your sessions depends on your type of therapist. I go to an IFS/somatic therapist so it's not just talk therapy, which I agree, wasn't the most helpful for me. A lot of psychiatrists require you to see a therapist while getting medications because those meds can be dangerous and people taking them should at least be checked in on more often. They're just monitoring you to make sure you're doing well.

I don't know why you take meds or anything but if you're looking for "activities" there are plenty of workbooks full of self-help activities. You could do those on your own, or tell your therapist you want to do them and talk about them in your sessions. Some therapists do give homework so again, it just depends on the person you're seeing.
I can see how checking in and seeing how the medications are working can be useful, and that's mainly what the appointments were about. The problem is that any changes to meds requires a psychiatrist, and the psychiatry appointments are extremely far apart. Until then what am I supposed to do, suffer?

I'm already do activities on my own time. I just thought there was something to do in therapy, aside from rating my depression.

CatThot

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
80,508 2,789 1,293
Alleybux
I think that's a negative way of seeing things. If you can't talk to your friends and family if you need to, then why bother? Sometimes other people can come up with solutions you wouldn't think of, so I've learned to speak up when I have a problem.

It's been a few years since I've been diagnosed. Both the therapist and myself are female.

Maybe a new therapist is needed, IDK. But I'm unsure what to use these sessions for if they can't make changes to medication.

I can see how checking in and seeing how the medications are working can be useful, and that's mainly what the appointments were about. The problem is that any changes to meds requires a psychiatrist, and the psychiatry appointments are extremely far apart. Until then what am I supposed to do, suffer?

I'm already do activities on my own time. I just thought there was something to do in therapy, aside from rating my depression
It's not a negative thing these are facts.

Your friends and loved ones support and love can only take you so far. Therapists are professionals that can deal with things your loved ones maybe out of depth/not have the expertise on.

You've been diagnosed with depression for years and you still have it. I honestly think you need the help of a therapist alongside meds.

Fyi meds are not the only solution and your body/mind need to adjust to them. It may take a few attempts to get the right medication, dosage, and regimen, not to mention side effects. It's not a joke

Anyways I wish you the best!

incogneato

No face, no case.
Reaction score
Reactions
Alleybux
It's not a negative thing these are facts.

Your friends and loved ones support and love can only take you so far. Therapists are professionals that can deal with things your loved ones maybe out of depth/not have the expertise on.

You've been diagnosed with depression for years and you still have it. I honestly think you need the help of a therapist alongside meds.

Fyi meds are not the only solution and your body/mind need to adjust to them. It may take a few attempts to get the right medication, dosage, and regimen, not to mention side effects. It's not a joke

Anyways I wish you the best!

Depression can't be cured, but remission is a possibility. That requires the right treatment, and there's a lot of uncertainty when it comes to mental illnesses. I'm taking it in strides, however.

Thanks, most appreciated.

incogneato

No face, no case.
Reaction score
Reactions
Alleybux
I kind of understand what you are saying in a way. I had a good counselor but they moved up to a high position but now I got someone I don't think is a good fit for me but I don't want to bounce from counselor to counselor because I don't want to.

Unique7

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
854 153 732
Alleybux
I kind of understand what you are saying in a way. I had a good counselor but they moved up to a high position but now I got someone I don't think is a good fit for me but I don't want to bounce from counselor to counselor because I don't want to.
Maybe you need another counselor for stealing my Alleybux, lol, you thief. That's a stupid feature on here, allowing others to steal from others. You are you going on ignore for this.

Yona Hiryuu

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
8,513 487 303
Alleybux
Maybe you need another counselor for stealing my Alleybux, lol, you thief. That's a stupid feature on here, allowing others to steal from others. You are you going on ignore for this.

How do you know it’s her who stole your Alleybux’s when she’s in Incognito?

incogneato

No face, no case.
Reaction score
Reactions
Alleybux
What made them a good counselor? It's hard enough that you have to try out multiple meds to find one that works. I don't want to imagine having to find a decent therapist too.

I'm wondering if it's best to find a new clinic. I don't trust having psychiatric appointments so far apart.

Blueberry77

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
15,884 422 143
Alleybux
Once I was ready to really address my issues, therapy worked wonders for me. Hopefully you can find the right therapist to connect with. Meds can be helpful too, but you’ve gotta do the work when it comes to how you think and how you behave.

Blueberry77

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
15,884 422 143
Alleybux

I'm already do activities on my own time. I just thought there was something to do in therapy, aside from rating my depression.
It takes awhile for psych meds to work so you’ve got to be patient. Therapists are good to talk to, IMO, because they aren’t family or friends who are invested in your experiences. They can be more objective; loved ones can’t. I think you need to have a slightly more open and welcoming mind, and maybe you should try a different therapist. You don’t seem naturally inclined to trust the process, which is understandable, but see if you can take a leap of faith and give it a chance.

incogneato

No face, no case.
Reaction score
Reactions
Alleybux
It takes awhile for psych meds to work so you’ve got to be patient. Therapists are good to talk to, IMO, because they aren’t family or friends who are invested in your experiences. They can be more objective; loved ones can’t. I think you need to have a slightly more open and welcoming mind, and maybe you should try a different therapist. You don’t seem naturally inclined to trust the process, which is understandable, but see if you can take a leap of faith and give it a chance.
I know it can take some time for meds to work. Believe me, I'm no stranger to antidepressants. It's hard for me to trust the process because I don't understand it. There are no clear instructions on how to use the therapy appointments. There were suggestions to try out CBT, but I don't find CBT to be helpful.

Blueberry77

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
15,884 422 143
Alleybux
I know it can take some time for meds to work. Believe me, I'm no stranger to antidepressants. It's hard for me to trust the process because I don't understand it. There are no clear instructions on how to use the therapy appointments. There were suggestions to try out CBT, but I don't find CBT to be helpful.
Idk, honestly. I have no training and I’m hardly an expert. I’m only urging you to try therapy because it worked for me in a way that psych meds never did. I tried therapy with 3 therapists. The 3rd worked; I wish I hadn’t wasted time on the other two, to be honest. That’s my genuine experience and I hope that if you continue with therapy it will eventually work for you. Just please try to be open to the possibility that it could actually be helpful.

incogneato

No face, no case.
Reaction score
Reactions
Alleybux
What made them a good counselor? It's hard enough that you have to try out multiple meds to find one that works. I don't want to imagine having to find a decent therapist too.

I'm wondering if it's best to find a new clinic. I don't trust having psychiatric appointments so far apart.
It seem like he was able to see my problems clearly, give me solutions, and give me skills to get better or handle things. The one I have now doesn't do that and I'm not saying he is a bad person but I wish he would quit me so I don't have to quit him. At least your meds are working mine seem like they are not.

Athena13

La douleur exquise, c'est n'importe quoi
Reaction score
Reactions
33,489 624 383
Alleybux
99% Psychiatrists don't offer much in the way of counseling - 20-30 minutes on how you're doing/what's going on in your life. Freudian-type therapy with a psych is rare these days.

Therapists/psychologists are where you work through issues, and most of them cannot prescribe meds.

If you aren't feeling a benefit from your meds, then you need to let the psych know that the meds aren't helping, and they can explore alternatives. And if you want yo see them more often, then ask. But there's really no point to seeing them more often other than to discuss how the meds are/not working.

What are your objectives? You said you thought you'd be given inkblots or otherwise doing something fun. Which isn't really what it's about, so you may be at cross-purposes with what either a psych or therapist offers. What do you want to change? Does your depression significantly impact your life /performance/ relationships?

What kind of depression? Dysthymia/mild (general, low-grade) or severe?

Have you had your thyroid tested?

Have you tried investigating (alone or with a therapist) when you began feeling this way? Any events at all in life that stand out to you as hurtful?

There's no magic to it. And CBT isn't appropriate for everything, especially if you haven't identified what it is you're there for.

incogneato

No face, no case.
Reaction score
Reactions
Alleybux
99% Psychiatrists don't offer much in the way of counseling - 20-30 minutes on how you're doing/what's going on in your life. Freudian-type therapy with a psych is rare these days.

Therapists/psychologists are where you work through issues, and most of them cannot prescribe meds.

If you aren't feeling a benefit from your meds, then you need to let the psych know that the meds aren't helping, and they can explore alternatives. And if you want yo see them more often, then ask. But there's really no point to seeing them more often other than to discuss how the meds are/not working.

What are your objectives? You said you thought you'd be given inkblots or otherwise doing something fun. Which isn't really what it's about, so you may be at cross-purposes with what either a psych or therapist offers. What do you want to change? Does your depression significantly impact your life /performance/ relationships?

What kind of depression? Dysthymia/mild (general, low-grade) or severe?

Have you had your thyroid tested?

Have you tried investigating (alone or with a therapist) when you began feeling this way? Any events at all in life that stand out to you as hurtful?

There's no magic to it. And CBT isn't appropriate for everything, especially if you haven't identified what it is you're there for.
I'm not sure why I'm not getting any notifications for this thread. I am watching it.

I'm having problems with my meds, but I have to wait months to make any changes with a psychiatrist.

I had hoped to find out the reason for my depression and to get rid of it. The reason for its existence seems to be chemical. They've already ruled out the physical reasons. They've noted the depression as "severe." There seems to be no point to life, and I'm not sure if it's worth staying alive if depression comes with it.

incogneato

No face, no case.
Reaction score
Reactions
Alleybux
OP is back again. It seems that endogenous depression tends to be more treatment-resistant. It is now obvious to me that my sessions were cut short because the therapist doesn't know what to do. Well, I don't either. I'm still trying to find a treatment that works.

I'm going to see if I qualify for ECT and TMS.