Quantcast

Whats your degree in? Are you satisfied?

Mangoberry

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
8,826 68 15
Alleybux
Hey yall, back again! Dont know if you seen my previous post. I have my Associates in Science, I've decided to keep going and pursue my Bachelors. I'm indecisive of what field I want to study. I do not want to be that person to waste all the time and money just to finally get my BS and struggle to find a job or find something but making pennies. I want my degree in something I know for sure I can use, a decent/nice paying salary. I want to stay in the medical/healthcare area. I do not want to study anything with alot of Science/Labs or math. I had some people recommend Health Science, Public Health Administration, it was others but I cant think of them right now.

If you dont mind sharing, please tell me what your major is in, did you find a job with it, are you making decent pay, are you satisfied? And any advice you would like to give me. Thanks guys :love

lov3lylina

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
4,523 294 10
Alleybux
I have a B.A. in Ethnic Studies with a minor in Gender. I also have an associate degree in Paralegal studies. Nope I work in the food service industry. To be honest I never tried to work in any my fields, I make good money where I’m at

Fropunzle

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
20,684 151 26
Alleybux
Bachelors in Accountancy
Yes I got a decent entry level job out of college and also I did internships
Yes I make a decent salary this point in my career . Trying to get promoted into a senior role so I can get a bump in salary . I don’t have my CPA

leblumeii

im cute.
Reaction score
Reactions
319,246 4,805 2,013
Alleybux
I got two Bachelors Degrees during undergrad simultaneously... one in Political Science, the other in Economics.

My job is technically related to the former and the pay is decent for my age but I'm looking for a career change so I'm getting ready to study for my GREs and get my Masters in Statistics or Data Science.

This time I'm gonna focus on applying to Ivy League schools and Top 10 schools internationally so I can further my career in a direction I want and that will be advantageous to me.

SchizoBun

Tarot Readings at ALDivination.etsy.com
Reaction score
Reactions
81,375 1,503 156
Alleybux
BS Biology, Dual Masters Healthcare Admin/Business, Doctorate of Pharmacy

Found lots of jobs. Learned from them all. Money has never been an issue.

Advice- Employer tuition reimbursement is your friend, lol...

Also, my career has been predicated on trying things that aren't necessarily "conventional" for my degrees. So think outside of the box.

Good luck on your journey :)

Mangoberry

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
8,826 68 15
Alleybux
BS Biology, Dual Masters Healthcare Admin/Business, Doctorate of Pharmacy

Whewww girl you BETTER GO OFF!

Advice- Employer tuition reimbursement is your friend, lol...

Sure is. I used it for my Associates. Im grateful I have a job that provides those type of benefits.

Also, my career has been predicated on trying things that aren't necessarily "conventional" for my degrees. So think outside of the box.

Good luck on your journey

Thank you so much! :blush:

SchizoBun

Tarot Readings at ALDivination.etsy.com
Reaction score
Reactions
81,375 1,503 156
Alleybux
Whewww girl you BETTER GO OFF!

Sure is. I used it for my Associates. Im grateful I have a job that provides those type of benefits.

Thank you so much! :blush:

You're welcome sweets :)

You'll find your path...just don't be afraid to buck tradition (responsibly, lol)

ETA: OH! And build your network. If you haven't started, start now. If you already have, double down. It will pay off in the future.

Selina Kyle II

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
240,538 3,713 1,083
Alleybux
I have a BS in Biology. I didn’t do things right while going for that degree, so I’m in the process of going for Informatics and then Bioinformatics. If this co-op goes through I’ll be using both degrees.

HenryBemis

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
2,172 38 9
Alleybux
BA Chem and MS Clin Research. I love what I do! Also CCRA and ACS certifications!

If I had it to do all over I would have gone the strictly research route. My favorite job was working as a research assistant. My job was interesting, I could do it without being micromanaged, eat my sandwich at lunch, then go home and leave work behind.

Mangoberry

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
8,826 68 15
Alleybux
I got two Bachelors Degrees during undergrad simultaneously... one in Political Science, the other in Economics.

My job is technically related to the former and the pay is decent for my age but I'm looking for a career change so I'm getting ready to study for my GREs and get my Masters in Statistics or Data Science.

This time I'm gonna focus on applying to Ivy League schools and Top 10 schools internationally so I can further my career in a direction I want and that will be advantageous to me.

Sounds good. I just cant figure out what I want to study. I dont want to waste my time on the wrong degree. I would feel defeated. Good luck on your Masters, Im hearing in these type of days its real beneficially to have it. I'll think about that when I get there lol.

Mangoberry

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
8,826 68 15
Alleybux
I have a BS in Biology. I didn’t do things right while going for that degree, so I’m in the process of going for Informatics and then Bioinformatics. If this co-op goes through I’ll be using both degrees.

OMG! I heard to not study Biology unless you have plans on pursing a high career goal or some type of research. Biology was my first option but I changed it very quick. I also know a person who has it and is driving trucks now because they struggled to find a job and finally gave up.

I would be so hurt to get a degree in Biology and cant use it, I just know those classes were extremely hard.

Mangoberry

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
8,826 68 15
Alleybux
ETA: OH! And build your network. If you haven't started, start now. If you already have, double down. It will pay off in the future.

My plans are to finally move as soon as I complete it. I was going to move now but Im like let me keep pursing my education and get it all done here in my state and then leave.

Im really taking advantage of this Pandemic, its the perfect time to get it done.

So hopefully I can network and find opportunities in my new location.

lilbay77

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
2,444 258 6
Alleybux
B.S. Public Health, Doctorate of Pharmacy
I just completed my residency and now have started my permanent job as a pharmacist. I love it so far and the pay is great.

Last edited:

MellaRueraux

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
59,776 4,390 3,375
Alleybux
BA in Pysch, Minor in children studies, MS in Clinical psychology ( Child/ Adolescent Concentration), with a doctorate in Clinical Psych. Im also a licensed play therapist on the side.

I adore my job! wouldn't trade it for any other job.

sonoko

One Truth Prevails
Reaction score
Reactions
113,109 2,984 750
Alleybux
I have a Bachelors of Arts in International Studies and two minors in Business Admin and Sociology. I am now pursuing my Masters in Business Administration. I loved learning and studying my degree when I was in school and it allowed me to study abroad since the school said everyone in the degree had to study at least 3 months to graduate.

The only downside is that I didn't network enough to get a job in the field I wanted and I ended up in Real Estate. My job is easy and pays decent though but I am trying to get in HR or some type of management or even Market Research still.

I feel like you are on the right path with public health admin or healthcare admin but make sure to really look into your degree and program to make sure it matches a career you want when you get out.

Imstillwinning

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
15,598 692 327
Alleybux
i have my a.a. i communications and another in in general sciences. I currently work in healthcare and good where i am. i was going to pursue my b.a. but i realize that i would have a non union job and have to pay into medical, where i am now i have union protection and free medical vision and dental

UndercoverNerd

James "Buck Nasty" Barnes
Reaction score
Reactions
18,939 539 67
Alleybux
My BS is in Management Information Systems. If you're very data driven and analytical there is a lot of opportunities. The degree isn't as technical as a computer science degree, but it's still very lucrative.

I have only worked in the Healthcare industry in various analysts roles. I think when people think about Healthcare they usually only think about the patient facing roles, but there are a lot of roles behind the scenes.

I'm currently a business systems analyst, pay and benefits are good, and lots of other company perks, like my employer pays a portion of my student loans for me.

Reaction score
Reactions
2,383 46 5
Alleybux
Bachelor and masters in social work. I love what I do and am a medical social worker at one of the larger hospitals my area so I get paid well.

UnusualJedi

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
895 21 1
Alleybux
I got a BM in Music Business back in 2016 and am beginning an MFA program in Production Management in 2021. For the in between time I was able to always work in my industry but with the gig economy as it is, I was always moving from place to place constantly with fluctuations in income because of it. I think given how I was at 17 when I was applying to schools, the degree really worked and fit what I was looking for. Now that I've had these past years in the working world and noticing certain gaps in my education I'd like to fill/explore further, I think now is the right time to pursue my MFA. Of course, the whole COVID situation made the choice easier. Everyone I've ever worked for is currently out of business!

MessyB0ttom

Blue waffle survivor
Reaction score
Reactions
160,828 6,800 2,799
Alleybux
Biology and yes yes! I’m what I’ve always wanted to be! My career is the same one I wrote my 8th grade paper on.

loveme23

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
1,388 11 4
Alleybux
Bachelors in Public Health
I’m currently trying to figure out what I want to do with it

britvp96

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
32,484 406 60
Alleybux
I have my undergrad degree in communication and getting my master's degree in political science and communication. Comms is not for the faint of heart. It's hard as hell to break into this field, even with experience. It's oversaturated af. I know a lot of people who left because they couldn't find a job. Even on my worst day though, I don't regret going into this field. There's truly nothing else on the planet I would want to do. I'm creative. So, being able to be creative and get paid for it is awesome.

DZbornak

I’m not patronizing you, I’m a-mocking you
Reaction score
Reactions
152,819 5,367 1,568
Alleybux
Poli Sci and History, and two graduate law degrees. I’ve never used my undergrad degrees but I’m happy with my law degrees.

Stantonlikzaddy

Play Nice or Stay Out my DMs
Reaction score
Reactions
344,014 9,076 2,790
Alleybux
I have my undergrad degree in communication and getting my master's degree in political science and communication. Comms is not for the faint of heart. It's hard as hell to break into this field, even with experience. It's oversaturated af. I know a lot of people who left because they couldn't find a job. Even on my worst day though, I don't regret going into this field. There's truly nothing else on the planet I would want to do. I'm creative. So, being able to be creative and get paid for it is awesome.

Are you in digital marketing?

noseyrozey

Gherbo's leather pants
Reaction score
Reactions
243,115 6,655 39
Alleybux
A.A in Teaching(EC-6)
B.S in Education(EC-6 generalist and special education)
M.Ed(Spring 21) in Special Ed

I'm satisfied but probably will be leaving the classroom after this school year to become a diagnostician or counselor.

DryHumor

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
10,988 790 424
Alleybux
A.A. in general studies
B.A. in Sociology / minor in History
M.S.Ed. in Higher Ed Administration

I work in student affairs at a college. I'm getting paid much lower than what I should with my experience and credentials. I'll be leaving next year to work with underrepresented students, maybe with a TRIO program.

Last edited:

Ladywasabi

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
23,548 171 54
Alleybux
B.S. in Biological Sciences
MPH in Epidemiology
Currently working on my PhD in Environmental Science

I use all three areas of my schooling for my career. The best decision I made was getting my degree in biology, because it laid the foundation for everything else. I initially worked as a biostatistian realized I hated it with a passion because I didn’t want to code all day long, then I went to med school and realized that the environment was toxic and I was miserable in school so I left and now I work as an epidemiologist in the environmental infectious disease arena. Money is pretty good so that’s a plus. For the first time in my life I’m happy with my career and feel like I’m making a positive difference in the world

Kano1987

LSA OG Fav! 2009 til infinity
Reaction score
Reactions
328,366 12,235 7,482
Alleybux
BA Chem and MS Clin Research. I love what I do! Also CCRA and ACS certifications!
Hello,
I am about finished with MS in research administration, what certification would you suggest for someone without practical work experience?

RepressedThot

Hoeness Deleted
Reaction score
Reactions
113,972 3,566 645
Alleybux
I have an:
A.S. in Administrative Support Technology
A.S. in Medical Office Administration

>>>Got a job in the government just off of that.

Now I have:

B.S. in Management Information Systems and Business Analytics with a minor in IT Management

>>>got a new job within the government in IT
2 months after graduation.

So I can say yes, im beyond satisfied. My pay is decent with greater earning potential in the future. Plus, I enjoy all the training opportunities and temporary assignments that they offer to gain experience elsewhere.

I'm working on my masters now in Information Systems Engineering with a minor in Software Engineering. Im at a Top 10 School and its been great for networking even during a pandemic

Last edited:

pancake_chic

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
10,387 181 172
Alleybux
I have a BA in Sociology and MS in Nursing - Clinical Nurse Leader. Also have health research and community background through internships and volunteering.

So my story (partially) - I was at a point in my undergrad where I decided to get my master's in nursing, an entry into nursing program for those with a different degree. And also too far along where I was almost finished with a degree - just needed to choose a major. I originally thought of nutrition major, math or sociology minor because of job opportunities before actually starting nursing school, which would be a year after my undergrad.

Didn't get accepted into nutrition program.

Sociology was the fasted degree to complete. However, unless you have connections, it's really hard to find something. So I struggled for one year post-grad (quitted my PT job that was giving me pennies and sh!tty coworkers) while awaiting to start my program.

Now I am one year post-nursing school and in my RN position for about eight months. As a new grad, no one was gonna hire me as a "Clinical Nurse Leader" or some type of leadership role because I'm a "baby nurse." For now, I work in DC at a major hospital FT with good pay.

Am I satisfied? I'm content... Nurses don't make enough for what we do. I know I'm only just starting and have loads of opportunities ahead.

Advice to OP. What type of science?

Overall, make your connections and keep them. Utilize your school resources for opportunities in internships, volunteering, and shadowing. Continue to talk to people in fields/positions you think you're interested in.

If anything, you may find a position now with your AS and have the company pay for your BS. You may have to commit to that company for a year or two, then you're free to go. By that time, you would have ideas on your next move and seen folks in your desired field as mentors/inspiration.

britvp96

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
32,484 406 60
Alleybux
Me too, but I'm looking for a higher paid job. Do you have any tips for firms?

Hmm I would say:

-If you don't have an online portfolio with examples of your work, create one. The same goes for a resume. You should have a creative resume alongside a traditional one.
-Stay up-to-date on all news happenings. I subscribe to a few media outlet's news sheets that provide me with information throughout the day.
-Practice and time yourself writing different communication deliverables (press release, editorial, news story, etc...) alongside writing short social media copy. For every job interview, I had some form of a timed writing assessment.
-Reach out to people on LinkedIn who work for agencies/firms you're interested in and start connecting.

Good luck!

lmg1496

Rookie
Reaction score
Reactions
172 3
Alleybux
I have a bachelors in Public Health Science and I'm also trying to figure out what I want to do with it. Currently, working as a dental assistant since I am interested in dental school, but now having second thoughts due to how high dental school loans are and everything surrounding the pandemic.

Last edited: