Quantcast

What's your dream job? (rant)

UStoleMyName

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
2,767 341 51
Alleybux
This is a question I usually get asked by customers, my former supervisors, family members etc and I lie saying I wanna do this or I wanna do that.

The truth is I don't care about work. I only work for money. I do not have a dream job, I don't want a dream job because my life does not revolve around working or working for someone else. My last job, the supervisors were jerks and did nothing but put more work on us than we could handle and refused to hire more people. I cried so many times because of the customers being horrible and evil and we were short staffed. I refused to come back and work in that environment anymore because it was draining and I was in physical pain and I was afraid that one day a customer would try and hurt me. This job has made me realized that I hate working.

Also people ask me if I'm in school and sometimes I say yes and sometimes I say I'm take a hiatus. School has made me so jaded that sometimes I just don't want to learn anything anymore. All school has done for me is put me into debt. It was a waste of my time and I regret it so much.

I am so sick of people asking these type of questions because it's none of their business what I do, but I'm just trying to be polite and I don't want to be judge because I live where people think that "hardwork" equals status and school equals job. I bought into this, there were times when I didn't work and I felt bad that I wasn't working. Yet the older I get the more jaded I become.

I am slowing inching away from consumerism as well. I don't want a fancy car, I don't want a fancy house, I don't want the latest fashion. I don't want the latest technology etc.

I really want to have a cheap small house in the middle of nowhere and not be bothered by people trying to be up in my life. I am unemployed right now and I do feel free. I know I'm going to have to go back to work eventually but let me just enjoy my time. I have savings, let me have my time!

Has anyone ever gotten that question? What is your dream job? What are you going to school for? Are you sick of these questions or do you not mind them?

Shy Vy

Shy
Reaction score
Reactions
81,733 2,681 178
Alleybux
I feel you and questions like that can really come off as dogmatic. What has worked for me is just telling people I'm more of a bohemian and my dream job/interests/hobbies change every year.

FauxBeetle

If you're a man don't quote me. Thanks
Reaction score
Reactions
13,111 313 40
Alleybux
Data analyst, but I'm terrible at math so I don't know how it's going to work. I personally don't mind the questions but I can see how it's annoying.

UStoleMyName

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
2,767 341 51
Alleybux
I feel you and questions like that can really come off as dogmatic. What has worked for me is just telling people I'm more of a bohemian and my dream job/interests/hobbies change every year.
That's a good idea. I never thought about that. I will try it out next time. Maybe it'll throw them off and get them to stop asking me.

RaRaRaHu

The petty princess
Reaction score
Reactions
52,923 1,520 1,308
Alleybux
Well...most people do not have dream jobs and for most, they don't exist anyway. There is nothing wrong with wanting to live à moderate life.

Nixxgamigao

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
40,615 2,218 1,629
Alleybux
I don't have a dream job because I don't dream of working at all. I'm also sick of these questions and comments telling me I need to find a passion so that when I do what I love for work. Umm..well my passion is eating, smoking, and sleeping and there's no jobs for that so...

luvsherlastname

Your Favorite Southern Housewife
Reaction score
Reactions
56,787 4,061 1,405
Alleybux
Well I already achieved my childhood dream job but honestly I am burnt from the corporate life.
My current dream job is to be a stay at home mom / housewife.

Reaction score
Reactions
4,179 82 26
Alleybux
I don't have a solid answer for this question either. I do have a career and I currently work in the field I studied in college. I've been binge watching videos of how people found a need, catered to that need and are now successful entrepreneurs who don't have to answer to anyone. I've been thinking about that quite often as of recent.

There's nothing wrong with working to make an honest living on a job that you're not passionate about. If its not stressing you and you get along well with your manager and team, its not wrong to stay unless you want something different and are ready to take that leap on to something new, challenging or exciting.

CatThot

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
80,516 2,790 1,293
Alleybux
This is a question I usually get asked by customers, my former supervisors, family members etc and I lie saying I wanna do this or I wanna do that.

The truth is I don't care about work. I only work for money. I do not have a dream job, I don't want a dream job because my life does not revolve around working or working for someone else. My last job, the supervisors were jerks and did nothing but put more work on us than we could handle and refused to hire more people. I cried so many times because of the customers being horrible and evil and we were short staffed. I refused to come back and work in that environment anymore because it was draining and I was in physical pain and I was afraid that one day a customer would try and hurt me. This job has made me realized that I hate working.

Also people ask me if I'm in school and sometimes I say yes and sometimes I say I'm take a hiatus. School has made me so jaded that sometimes I just don't want to learn anything anymore. All school has done for me is put me into debt. It was a waste of my time and I regret it so much.

I am so sick of people asking these type of questions because it's none of their business what I do, but I'm just trying to be polite and I don't want to be judge because I live where people think that "hardwork" equals status and school equals job. I bought into this, there were times when I didn't work and I felt bad that I wasn't working. Yet the older I get the more jaded I become.

I am slowing inching away from consumerism as well. I don't want a fancy car, I don't want a fancy house, I don't want the latest fashion. I don't want the latest technology etc.

I really want to have a cheap small house in the middle of nowhere and not be bothered by people trying to be up in my life. I am unemployed right now and I do feel free. I know I'm going to have to go back to work eventually but let me just enjoy my time. I have savings, let me have my time!

Has anyone ever gotten that question? What is your dream job? What are you going to school for? Are you sick of these questions or do you not mind them?
There is nothing wrong with this but I am curious do you want a family or kids?

Ezra Miller

⭐ DA NAME STAYS! PM ME FOR YOUR TAROT NEEDS ⭐
Reaction score
Reactions
287,378 9,793 5,304
Alleybux
Sounds like this is a sore spot, maybe you should explore why.

As for me, I had a dream job, worked at it for some time and now want to do it on my own terms as my own boss.

RamonaRoyale

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
28,888 600 202
Alleybux
Ironically, I would pursue my dream job if I had the safety net of a well-off family. I would go into fashion journalism.

I don’t have time to be hustling for unpaid internships and making pennies for years post- grad. I’m going into a stable STEM field and pursuing fashion as a hobby.

SuccessfullyMe

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
238,527 6,659 3,637
Alleybux
Forensic scientist, but I got in when Forensic computing wasn't really a thing. I'm in cybersecurity and it allows me to be nosy so its a win for moi. I am probably going to switch to incident response because I love it.

Gavin Malachi

The Dreamer
Reaction score
Reactions
16,765 518 33
Alleybux
I would love to be a food historian/museum curator/historian with a focus on African American culture and history.

Noladebby

⚜️ Made in New Orleans ⚜️
Reaction score
Reactions
76,905 2,255 1,262
Alleybux
It would be nice if people enjoyed what they do for a living because you'd have happier people in the workplace but a " dream job" is just that, a dream! lol

I wouldn't call myself jaded but I have come to the realization that for ME, all of this is nonsense. A job is just a way for you to make money legally so you can live and support yourself. It's fine to have career goals but those goals and your career can be derailed at any point, so it's important to not make your career or job you're entire life. Your "dream job" can become a nightmare or could be taken from you. :emoji_shrug:

Mugla

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
8,326 436 216
Alleybux
I don't have a dream job because I don't dream of working at all. I'm also sick of these questions and comments telling me I need to find a passion so that when I do what I love for work. Umm..well my passion is eating, smoking, and sleeping and there's no jobs for that so...
BIIIIIITCH

lulu91

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
120,745 976 139
Alleybux
My dream job is to win the lottery, so that I could chuck the deuces to the job I have now :tired_face:

briochebuns

Psst .. What?
Reaction score
Reactions
22,495 324 123
Alleybux
I hate those stupid ass questions and I usually talk my way around that.

“I don’t have a dream position, per se, but I love using XYZ skills/doing ABC tasks, so anywhere that allows me to do that while having a great work-life a balance is my dream job.”

News Alley

Top Bottom