Quantcast

When Did Empire Fall Off For You?

Raspberry Beret

Working part time in a 5 and dime
Reaction score
Reactions
87,118 2,209 112
Alleybux
The writers made a lot of key errors and wasted opportunities with Empire especially from season 2 and onward.

-Cookie in the gorilla suit (just tasteless)

-The Latino factor: The large influx of (non-black) Latino characters in season 2 annoyed me. First, Spanish/Latino shows rarely (if ever) give black Latinos or black characters a chance to shine on their platforms. So for Empire, a largely successful predominately black show to give non-black Latinos a huge platform irked me to no end. Empire wanted to reach a wider audience, by including more Latinos, but instead drove audiences away.

If the show wanted to showcase Latinos, they should have brought Afro-Latino characters like Andre Royo/Thirsty. Instead of having a Latina girl group, TPTB should have made a Destiny's child/June's Diary/Danity Kane type black girl group. The Laura character should've been played by a black songtress.

-The downfall of Anika: Once her character broke up with Luscious, TPTB didn't know what to do with her character. It's like they wanted to keep her tied to Empire/Lyons but were grasping for straws. I had a hard time buying that bougie debutante Anika would fall for and act thirsty over Hakeem. TPTB should have had her trying to f*ck Andre instead and as a result having beef with Rhonda.

-The miscast of Chris Rock: Chris was terribly miscast as Frank Gathers. He was not believable in the least as some dangerous cannibalistic gangster/drug lord.

-The "will or won't they" trope got tiresome with Luscious/ Cookie and Hakeem/Tiana as seasons progressed. Hakeem and Tiana's marriage and pregnancy would've been a fine time to show Hakeem's maturity instead TPTB broke them up again. Cookie going back and forth with Luscious also got tiring last season.

Zenith43

MVP
Reaction score
Reactions
5,264 180 168
Alleybux
Season 1 - Amazing
Season 1 soundtrack - Amazing

I fell of after season 2. I still watch it for the sake of it tho.

They went all in at the start, kept everyone on the edge of their seats. They couldn't keep up that momentum. I think it was too much too soon and it turned soap opera ish.

Kingkushieee

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
95,388 4,780 2,974
Alleybux
Season 2. I lost hope when Anika found out she was knocked up by Hakeem. I was always disappointed with how they did her character smh.

She had one of the best lines on the show.

2c0f3f393ce0ecc22568cb1b5534fce0.jpg

tumblr_nilun48NLk1r9x12go3_500.gif
I’m more disappointed about Hakeem having no growth. I stop watching consistently after Season 2 but have still watch on & off to see what’s going on. Haven’t watch not one episode this season.

Kingkushieee

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
95,388 4,780 2,974
Alleybux
Season 1, when Gabby was wearing an ugly blond wig every episode and I found out this is a Lee Daniels production. Daniels is evil with low self esteem and a deep resentment/issues with black women. It really shows in his storylines and character development.

*had no idea Taraji had to wear an ape suit.... you see what I mean... wtf...!
Not to mention how over sexualized the character of Hakeem is. That breakfast club interview with Lee & Yazz was uncomfortable af. I’m starting to think Lee always has Hakeem shirtless for his pleasure smh

Mothergoose

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
121 18 10
Alleybux
I stopped watching it after the Gorilla scene. From what I understand it got worse and worse.