• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

chrissywo

The Baby Mama of Levi Ackerman
Reaction score
Reactions
10,530 1,060 946
Alleybux
So I’ve already decided on which I chose but I just wanted everyone else’s (particularly black Americans since I am one and I feel like black Americans can understand my dilemma more ) ideas..

my 3 year old is making the transition from his in home daycare to preschool..

there are two preschools i am interested in.

Preschool 1
Montessori, brand new beautiful building, ran by an Indian American with mostly white teachers (the dynamic between the Indian and white lady seemed very tense) the owner/ director (the Indian lady) built the building herself and her son is a computer whiz who graduated from Carnegie. The campus also has a butterfly garden.. again the campus is simply gorgeous there’s a pond and a performing arts center. Music is a big thing there. The campus is surrounded by a huge security gate. The kids don’t have to wear a uniform. $250 wk

Preschool 2
Modeled like a baby kindergarten. Located in a strip center (in the corner, if you’re not looking twice you’ll miss the daycare) doors locked and must ring a buzzer in order to come in. It also seems since Covid they are not even allowing parents inside to drop kids off and checking kids temps at the door. Ran by an older Black woman from NOLA. Most of the teachers their are black. From the tour it seems the kids love and respect the director (the children were in another room watching movies with another teacher while I toured, of course my temperature was checked prior to me being allowed inside). The director also told me her son graduated from Howard. And another thing is that the kids get home cooked meals Nola style for breakfast and lunch. Children have to wear a uniform.
$120 wk

Both schools follow a schedule and have recess.

My son is black. Can be a little mischievous as any 3 year old could be especially when he’s tired. But overall a fun loving guy who loves to make new friends and spend time outside.

which preschool would you say is best

thatbeattho

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
55,131 721 92
Alleybux
1: how many black kids go to preschool 1
2: how many black people outside your family is your child exposed to regularly?

Asking because while I like the atmosphere of 1, I’m too used to stories of how the only black children get treated at these centers. Your child’s...well, 3 year old tendencies could be looked at as purely bad behavior.

Their proximity to black influences outside their home is important (to me at least), so I would say 1, but be VERY on guard with how he is treated and make sure he still gets the exposure of people who look like him.

chrissywo

Reaction score
Reactions
10,530 1,060 946
Alleybux
1: how many black kids go to preschool 1
2: how many black people outside your family is your child exposed to regularly?

Asking because while I like the atmosphere of 1, I’m too used to stories of how the only black children get treated at these centers. Your child’s...well, 3 year old tendencies could be looked at as purely bad behavior.

Their proximity to black influences outside their home is important (to me at least), so I would say 1, but be VERY on guard with how he is treated and make sure he still gets the exposure of people who look like him.

Preschool 1 is pretty diverse.. mostly Indian Americans. My son and an African kid would be the only black children tho..

I already asked the director about her those on racism etc.. considering she is an Indian American and they tend to be on the antiblack side..

She says that she values universalism.

Oh sorry and your other question.. my god father is white. (Lol ironic) My son is around a lot of white people when we visit my god father. My son’s father is Afro Cuban (looks like a regular black man not one of those tan white people a lot of black people like to claim as black) so my son is around a lot of nonblack hispanics as well

TEMU

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
53,779 1,841 1,040
Alleybux
School 2. Bias is a thing. I wouldn’t want to subject my child to that nonsense at such a young age.

Lisa Landry

Fashions By Lisa
Solutions
Reaction score
Reactions
47,345 1,152 61
Alleybux
I voted for 2 but since you mentioned music at 1, are the arts something you really value? Because if that’s a future you’re interested in for your son, I can understand why the two schools are comparable.

SouthernNotCountry

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
223,540 5,511 931
Alleybux
Based on your post about who your son is around, I'd say 2 to expose him to more kids that look like him. I don't really trust yts around my kids like that, and I'm on the fence about Indians. How is daycare 2s lessons set up though? My kids went to in home daycares that followed a Montessori setup, but they were black and they thrived in that environment.

pinkkryptonite

Bonnets 'r Us
Reaction score
Reactions
149,219 5,006 464
Alleybux
As a kid who was often the only black child in my class I vowed to make sure my child was never in that situation if I could help it. My child starts preschool this fall and my husband and I dismissed 2 schools who were wooing us simply because neither the student body nor the staff were diverse enough.

The one we settled on is very high quality, the owner is black (a community leader) and the staff is extremely diverse because different languages are taught and black children make up at least a quarter of the class.

I can appreciate #2 but your post didn't mention anything about their curriculum, which is crucial. If those are your absolute only two choices, then I would begrudgingly go with #1 and stay on top of the teachers constantly. They would know i'm not the one to mess with it when it comes to my child.

emptybubbles

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
16,684 461 239
Alleybux
Preschool 2 sounds like the far better experience. Your three year old isn't going to remember how nice his preschool campus was in a few years but he will remember how he was treated and how he felt so I feel like you should prioritize that.

Dollface4evs

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
98,331 6,463 942
Alleybux
So I’ve already decided on which I chose but I just wanted everyone else’s (particularly black Americans since I am one and I feel like black Americans can understand my dilemma more ) ideas..

my 3 year old is making the transition from his in home daycare to preschool..

there are two preschools i am interested in.

Preschool 1
Montessori, brand new beautiful building, ran by an Indian American with mostly white teachers (the dynamic between the Indian and white lady seemed very tense) the owner/ director (the Indian lady) built the building herself and her son is a computer whiz who graduated from Carnegie. The campus also has a butterfly garden.. again the campus is simply gorgeous there’s a pond and a performing arts center. Music is a big thing there. The campus is surrounded by a huge security gate. The kids don’t have to wear a uniform. $250 wk

Preschool 2
Modeled like a baby kindergarten. Located in a strip center (in the corner, if you’re not looking twice you’ll miss the daycare) doors locked and must ring a buzzer in order to come in. It also seems since Covid they are not even allowing parents inside to drop kids off and checking kids temps at the door. Ran by an older Black woman from NOLA. Most of the teachers their are black. From the tour it seems the kids love and respect the director (the children were in another room watching movies with another teacher while I toured, of course my temperature was checked prior to me being allowed inside). The director also told me her son graduated from Howard. And another thing is that the kids get home cooked meals Nola style for breakfast and lunch. Children have to wear a uniform.
$120 wk

Both schools follow a schedule and have recess.

My son is black. Can be a little mischievous as any 3 year old could be especially when he’s tired. But overall a fun loving guy who loves to make new friends and spend time outside.

which preschool would you say is best
I love the fact that there’s a pond and a performing arts center in the first one and the butterfly garden sounds beautiful in the first place. Sending my daughter to a daycare that has a beautiful outside area and a nice park was really important to me. Her center they go out every morning and afternoon if the weather permits. She’s about to be three soon. The fact that the second one is located in a strip mall is big NO for me. What?! Does the daycare not have windows?? People shopping can see can they not? How does pick up and drop off work in a strip mall daycare? Does the parking lot not get full? What type of people frequent the stores there? That alone would be a big NO for me.

The fact that the second one is majority black though is really nice, if it was in a better location I would say yes. I don’t like the fact that they watch movies though... at the daycare my daughter goes to, the children are not allowed ANY screen time at all. I’m sending her there to learn, not for someone to be scrolling on Twitter on their phone while the kids all watch a movie.

I have a few questions about both. Do they have a curriculum? Do they have weekly lesson plans? Do they have an app where they update everything your child does and send you pictures? Those are also important things to note.

Poettree

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
67,027 1,575 787
Alleybux
I say 2. It’s important to be around children that look like you. Indian Americans can be extremely racist. My daughter is in preschool and every school she went to was black owned. She’s been at her current preschool since 2019 and this one isn’t black owned but there are black teachers there and it’s highly diverse

bellpepper

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
156,845 4,615 950
Alleybux
I would choose 1 if there is diversity. If two has a better curriculum, I'd go with that one.

ILoveCheetos

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
5,781 176 76
Alleybux
I would pick 1. I really don’t like that they were watching movies at number 2. That’s a red flag for me. I wouldn’t want my kid having screen time at daycare

HoneyHitch

Class Clown Superlative
Reaction score
Reactions
121,121 3,746 918
Alleybux
2.....my child had his first black teacher in grade 6. When he found out two of his teachers were black he said mom I always wanted a teacher that looks like you.....that was just a little side story.... anyway find out if the schools offer a curriculum... video livestream.......don’t get up in the imagary....It’s all about the quality of education and fair treatment of your child.

Last edited:

chrissywo

Reaction score
Reactions
10,530 1,060 946
Alleybux
I would pick 1. I really don’t like that they were watching movies at number 2. That’s a red flag for me. I wouldn’t want my kid having screen time at daycare

I toured the number 2 facility at 6pm (they close at 7pm).. the kids that were watching movies were mostly after school kids

Last edited:

chrissywo

Reaction score
Reactions
10,530 1,060 946
Alleybux
I love the fact that there’s a pond and a performing arts center in the first one and the butterfly garden sounds beautiful in the first place. Sending my daughter to a daycare that has a beautiful outside area and a nice park was really important to me. Her center they go out every morning and afternoon if the weather permits. She’s about to be three soon. The fact that the second one is located in a strip mall is big NO for me. What?! Does the daycare not have windows?? People shopping can see can they not? How does pick up and drop off work in a strip mall daycare? Does the parking lot not get full? What type of people frequent the stores there? That alone would be a big NO for me.

The fact that the second one is majority black though is really nice, if it was in a better location I would say yes. I don’t like the fact that they watch movies though... at the daycare my daughter goes to, the children are not allowed ANY screen time at all. I’m sending her there to learn, not for someone to be scrolling on Twitter on their phone while the kids all watch a movie.

I have a few questions about both. Do they have a curriculum? Do they have weekly lesson plans? Do they have an app where they update everything your child does and send you pictures? Those are also important things to note.

yes both of them have a cirrocumulus

yes both of them have a curriculum. Preschool 1 is more Montessori based where they basically play all day but the play it’s educationally structured.. preschool 2 is closer to what a child will receive in a suburban public kindergarten. Yes they both have lesson plans but again with the Montessori the children won’t consciously view what they are doing as a “lesson” where as Preschool 2 will have a separate play time and then learning time.. they both have progress reports.. but preschool 2 doesn’t have access to cameras

And the windows are covered you can’t see a thing inside. And like I said, you’d miss it if you were looking for it I passed it up twice..

chrissywo

Reaction score
Reactions
10,530 1,060 946
Alleybux
As a kid who was often the only black child in my class I vowed to make sure my child was never in that situation if I could help it. My child starts preschool this fall and my husband and I dismissed 2 schools who were wooing us simply because neither the student body nor the staff were diverse enough.

The one we settled on is very high quality, the owner is black (a community leader) and the staff is extremely diverse because different languages are taught and black children make up at least a quarter of the class.

I can appreciate #2 but your post didn't mention anything about their curriculum, which is crucial. If those are your absolute only two choices, then I would begrudgingly go with #1 and stay on top of the teachers constantly. They would know i'm not the one to mess with it when it comes to my child.

Yea I grew up like that as well..

chrissywo

Reaction score
Reactions
10,530 1,060 946
Alleybux
Based on your post about who your son is around, I'd say 2 to expose him to more kids that look like him. I don't really trust yts around my kids like that, and I'm on the fence about Indians. How is daycare 2s lessons set up though? My kids went to in home daycares that followed a Montessori setup, but they were black and they thrived in that environment.

He’s around a lot of black Americans as well. The home daycare he attends now is ran by a black woman with mostly black children.

Dollface4evs

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
98,331 6,463 942
Alleybux
yes both of them have a cirrocumulus

yes both of them have a curriculum. Preschool 1 is more Montessori based where they basically play all day but the play it’s educationally structured.. preschool 2 is closer to what a child will receive in a suburban public kindergarten. Yes they both have lesson plans but again with the Montessori the children won’t consciously view what they are doing as a “lesson” where as Preschool 2 will have a separate play time and then learning time.. they both have progress reports.. but preschool 2 doesn’t have access to cameras

And the windows are covered you can’t see a thing inside. And like I said, you’d miss it if you were looking for it I passed it up twice..
The location being a strip mall just throws me off because that’s such a public place, I like a daycare being an independent building. I’m also confused on how drop off and pickup would work in a parking lot like that. My paranoid self is thinking: “What if someone shopping at a store takes interest in me or my child? Now they know their daycare and my vehicle”. Of course I’m just hypervigilant lol, but yeah.

I like that Preschool 1 has cameras and it’s nice they both have progress reports. Preschool 2 lunches and staff sound amazing though. But the screen time with the movie is a no. Also uniforms for daycare? I never heard of that. My daughter has a ton of clothes at daycare in case she spills, gets food, paint, dirt, pee, whatever on herself. I can’t imagine how often you’d be washing that uniform. Also check out Google reviews for both places. Whose are better?

LovethewayyouLurk

Always on the Lookout
Reaction score
Reactions
135,462 2,783 384
Alleybux
I stumbled in here, my ass ain’t no where near having children. But growing up I was the only black kid in my class on a regular basis, I had only one black teacher through my entire public school life and that wasn’t until I was a Junior in high school. I vow to never put my child through that. Diversity definitely matters, though Daycare 1 sounds like the better school overall. A daycare in a strip mall sounds unfortunate compared to a butterfly garden. If I were you I’d keep looking if that’s possible. Well, that’s my uninformed opinion lol.

Ataraxic

Team Owner
Solutions
Reaction score
Reactions
131,777 3,639 1,430
Alleybux
Preschool 2. Black teachers tend to have different/more tolerance for black children and behavior. White teachers nitpick and call a lot, whereas black teachers will redirect and just give you a report the end of the day.

I also feel generally, there are limited opportunities in the educational system where children see black teachers and leadership, so the more exposure the better.