Quantcast

White Boxing Hype Gets Beaten By Hispanic Fighter

V Hexerei

Matriarchal Saint of Black Women and Girls.
OLDHEAD
SUPER MODERATOR
Solutions
Reaction score
Reactions
153,402 3,856 848
Alleybux
Lopez is Honduran and he gave Lomochenko all the Fuego! I love to see it. I never bought into the Lomo hype.

Last edited:

LaBamba

Up in the clouds, me and my sheitel
Reaction score
Reactions
251,256 11,121 1,705
Alleybux
200.gif

White folks are all about that great white hope, and will absolutely choose their race over nationality, everytime. Elevating some dude from the eastern bloc over two legendary fighters, true sons of America. They did the same thing when they rooted for Conor MacGregor in that expo match he had against Floyd.

RedMoney

Ghost
Reaction score
Reactions
67,086 2,620 2,007
Alleybux
Lomo. White baby Jesus. How you great for what you did at a lower level. SMH. Dude already loss in the pros. Boxing makes more excuses for white fighters. Lomo defense is trash. His footwork overrated.

crazyman92

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
14,925 284 250
Alleybux
200.gif

White folks are all about that great white hope, and will absolutely choose their race over nationality, everytime. Elevating some dude from the eastern bloc over two legendary fighters, true sons of America. They did the same thing when they rooted for Conor MacGregor in that expo match he had against Floyd.

Babay.....I watched that exo with a bunch of white people (I was on a work assignment out of my home state) and I felt like I was at a Klan convention watching people cheer for Connor.

Mind you, I don't even like Floyd but when he went to whooping Connor's ass I was shouting and in front of the TV like that was my brother. I had a out of body experience lol

Mikhail Bakunin

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
154,040 19,673 18,911
Alleybux
Teofimo Lopez's mastery of Vasiliy Lomachenko has turned boxing into a young man's game

Written By Andreas Hale
@AndreasHale
FacebookTwitterEmailCopy Link
upload_2020-10-19_11-53-18.gif

Top Rank/Mikey Williams

Boxing
Vasyl Lomachenko
Teofimo Lopez has changed the game.

The 23-year-old shocked the boxing world by dethroning arguably the best pound-for-pound fighter in the world, Vasiliy Lomachenko, via unanimous decision to become the unified 135-pound champion.

Lopez demonstrated tremendous poise as he put together an exquisite performance to have his hand raised in victory with scores of 116-112, 117-111 and a preposterous 119-109. Regardless of that last score, the right man won.

It wasn’t just that Lopez beat Lomachenko but also that he beat him the way he did. If Lopez would have knocked out the Ukrainian, then the detractors would have suggested a lucky punch was involved. Instead, Lopez deployed a masterful game plan, kept his composure when things got dicey and pulled off the unthinkable: beat Lomachenko in a boxing match.

But what Lopez did Saturday night went beyond him fulfilling his personal prophecy. He also kicked down the door for young fighters to get opportunities now. If a 23-year-old can outbox the greatest amateur boxer to walk the earth, then what can the rest of the under-25 crowd do?

LOMACHENKO-LOPEZ: Highlights from the full card

For years, boxing has forced young fighters to wait their turn before being given a chance at becoming a world champion against the biggest names in the sport. Boxers get world title shots with spruced-up records like 35-0 with 30 knockouts that are racked up against a litany of names people have never heard. There’s nothing wrong with a fighter getting in rounds to see different looks and sharpen their skill set. But there are also fighters who have been spinning their wheels against no-name opponents while they await an opportunity.

And the fans have had to suffer as rising stars are engaged in numerous mismatches to build records. It’s not fun for the fans and it can’t be fun for the fighters who believe they are ready now.

To be clear, some fighters actually need the rounds. Deontay Wilder was far from world champion material despite starting his career with 32 knockouts in 32 wins. There were holes in his game that needed to be plugged and looks from opponents that needed to be seen. Rising super middleweight wrecking machine Edward Berlanga certainly could stand an uptick in durable opponents; he has collected 15 consecutive first-round knockouts to begin his career.

Then there are fighters like Lopez, Devin Haney, Ryan Garcia, Gervonta Davis, Jaron Ennis, Shakur Stevenson, Vergil Ortiz and many others who were told that they weren’t ready for the spotlight.

Lopez not only shut down that idea, he also crushed it with his stellar performance against Lomachenko. Fighters under 25 should rejoice; now they can go through that door and get their own shot before that 36th fight.

A good amount of under-25 fighters have become world champions, but they've rarely become champions against the best in the business. Getting a shot against arguably the best in the world? Even more unlikely.

Lomachenko-Lopez was positioned a lot like Floyd Mayweather’s 2013 clash with Canelo Alvarez, when Mayweather schooled an opponent 13 years his junior. It was perceived as a dangerous fight for Mayweather, who was facing a younger and naturally bigger fighter. It certainly was a risk, but Mayweather put on a masterful performance where experience was far superior to youth. Canelo still got the much-needed rub for his career and has since gone on to become a top pound-for-pound fighter.

Lopez and, to a greater extent, his father should take a lot of responsibility for this fight taking place. The elder Lopez spent the past couple of years telling the world just how great his son was. To the younger Lopez’s credit, he made his father look like a genius with every outing. From the highlight-reel knockouts to the show-stealing celebrations, Lopez Jr. took advantage of the social media era by creating viral moments. He wasn’t just winning; he was also looking good while winning. All the while, his boisterous father continued to tell the media that his son would take out the greatest amateur in boxing history.

It was manifest destiny.

But Lopez the fighter still had to hold up his half of the bargain.

There were legitimate questions about whether he possessed the IQ to outthink Lomachenko. Brute force alone wouldn’t work. Little did the boxing world know, Lopez was way ahead of everyone else.

Unlike Canelo, Lopez stuck to a game plan that included a steady diet of jabs and body punches that were hard enough to force Lomachenko to wait his turn. And that’s what the Ukrainian did, round after round after round. Clearly, Lomachenko’s plan was to mentally break Lopez by dissecting, and then turning upside down, his plan. Unfortunately for Loma, Lopez rarely broke stride. As the seventh round began, Lomachenko found himself in a hole. It wasn’t Lopez who couldn’t figure out how to get to him; it was Lomachenko who couldn’t get Lopez out of his rhythm.

That forced Lomachenko into the rare position of having to fight from under and use pressure in hopes of cracking the younger fighter’s focus. He came close at times. In Rounds 9-11, an incensed Lomachenko ripped Lopez with a combination that seemed to take the steam out of the fighter from Brooklyn.

What Lomachenko didn’t expect was Lopez biting down on his gumshield, never breaking character and staying within himself to not give "Hi-Tech" the opening he needed to win the fight.

It wasn’t strength and speed that beat Lomachenko but rather boxing IQ. Lopez proved he was mature enough to use his physical attributes in a manner that wouldn’t expose him to danger. It was a performance that we should be talking about for quite some time.

It also took the hinges off the door that had been keeping out a new generation seeking its pound of flesh from the top fighters. Not everyone will be as successful as Lopez, but these are the fights that fans want.

The boxing world is already salivating over the idea of Lopez facing Haney or Garcia. Or maybe Lopez will go up to 140 and challenge the winner of Jose Ramirez vs. Josh Taylor. Davis is lurking, too; he'll face Leo Santa Cruz on PPV at the end of October.

All of these fighters have a chance to cast their ballot for the fictional pound-for-pound list sooner rather than later thanks to Lopez.

A lot of credit needs to go to Lomachenko as well. Yes, he wanted the title that Lopez held, but he wasn’t afraid to challenge the young lion. In hindsight, maybe he should have reconsidered that position. But that’s what great fighters do. And the best never turn down an opponent, regardless of age.

Will the older fighters accept the challenge from the new wave of fighters? Thanks to Lopez, now they have to.

Ernada

High IQ-ER KO's Kangaroo
Reaction score
Reactions
237,470 21,165 10,194
Alleybux
Lomo already got beat before. He is a very good fighter, who uses slips and diaganols in ways that no other fighter has used in recent memory, but I will look forward to watching the fight.

Ernada

High IQ-ER KO's Kangaroo
Reaction score
Reactions
237,470 21,165 10,194
Alleybux
Lomo was a good fighter, he takes tough fights. I'm not going to knock him too bad, he doesn't pad his resume like Canelo or GGG with 30 fights against nobodies. Its not hard to see why Lomo was ranked #1 P4P for some time in some rankings, he was basically fighting near the top of the division in every fight. I don't think he is the best fighter, but I think if you look at his record, he has fought the best opposition of any fighter out there in the last 5-7 years.

skybantralist

Dookie Braid God
Reaction score
Reactions
110,843 9,315 8,626
Alleybux
I have no problem with white people hyping up their own, that's what you're supposed to do
And all Latinos are white

News Alley

Ask LSA

Top Bottom