White reporter tells black footballer to pronounce his full Nigerian name

Reactions
8,748 39 47
Alleybux
My mom rarely remembers many people's names She stays pronouncing names wrong. Certain foreign names are really hard to pronounce, so it's great to always ask a person to say it first and if you still cannot get it. Ask them if a nickname is okay. Many Asians use American names. The coach of Duke university's basketball team is called Coach K.
Me too...so I up front just say "I'm about to massacre your name, help me avoid that and tell me how to pronounce it"

Folks don't seem to get their panties in a bunch over it...

Reactions
6,761 300 403
Alleybux
On another note, I read somewhere that a lot of African names are pronounced phonetically, so:

Oluwafikayomi Oluwadamilola "Fikayo" Tomori

It seems that his name is pronounced by sounding it out exactly as it looks.

Does anyone know what his name means?

Olu sounded familiar to me so I looked it up and found this:

"Olu is a popular name amongst people of the Yoruba ethnic group. It is usually the first three letters of the full name. "Olu" is a diminutive of "Oluwa" in the Yoruba language and it can mean God, deity or lord,[1] so the name 'Oluwale' could mean "My God has come home". Since the name is applied to people, however, god in the sense of deity or lord is what is usually accepted, with the word even being used as a royal or noble title in certain parts of Nigeria, Benin and Togo."
Isnt Oluwa given to girls too?

Reactions
18,994 116 23
Alleybux
I know. It gives me human zoo vibes.

Maybe the Western black people on here don't see it the same way, but as an African living in Europe I get annoyed when white people look disappointed that I have a short, easy to pronounce name and surname. They want us to be these exotic strange creatures they can gawk at. It's a type of fetishism. "oMg sO faScInAtInG" as if there aren't Greeks and Russians with long as names with hella consonants in them.

The other thing is when they are like "Does your language have clicks in it? Can you say something?" Don't you have YouTube on your phone, Gabriella?
Nah I picked up the vibe immediately especially considering the source. I would have told her ass to look it up but I know that would just blowback on him. Honestly sports in general are human zoos so it sadly was not surprising.

Reactions
67,872 1,030 1,071
Alleybux
You guys are ridiculous. She wasn't trying to be funny. This also helps others down the line that have trouble with his name, because we have the original pronunciation coming straight from his mouth. Either way, he has a beautiful name and I love he heritage of our rich Nigerian names.

Reactions
53,022 2,026 739
Alleybux
Not gonna lie, I always hated doing this when caucasians ask. Always more along the lines of wanting entertainment. Ugh

I'm proud of my name, it's not some circus show.
Aw, I don’t think there was any ill will behind it tho. If anything it’ll help people address him properly and could have a ripple affect going forward with normalizing this type of behavior (hopefully)

Reactions
3,660 15 13
Alleybux
Aw, I don’t think there was any ill will behind it tho. If anything it’ll help people address him properly and could have a ripple affect going forward with normalizing this type of behavior (hopefully)
Yeah, I know there wasn't any ill meant to it. Just something that stuck with me. Wish them all the best :giggle:

The Culture

Celebrity News

Recent Posts

Kim K and Van Jones blind item
Who died and made you king? Your momma. Also, why are you still worried about a months old story? Get a life.
What midsize US city is fun, affordable and not pretentious?
other than Myrtle Beach which people seem to like for vacations, what are the good beach cities? Myrtle is your best bet. NC beaches are more...
Judge RELEASES Josh Duggar out on bail; says he can be around his children as long as wife is...
Why would Anna even want to be around him? I've never watched the Duggars, is she really that brainwashed?
Trevor Noah Girlfriend?
Listen there not together! Latina hasta la muerte coño he wants to jump into Jlo tunnel of love yes beast I said it LMFAO Come on Trev get some...
Top Bottom