Quantcast

UPDATE White U.S. Army sergeant charged with assault after viral video shows him harassing a black man for walking in the neighborhood; Protesters show up !

Maelin

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
122,051 20,789 366
Alleybux
Jonathan Pentland: Fort Jackson Commanding General Responds to Viral Video

jonathan-pentland.jpg

Jonathan Pentland is a U.S. Army sergeant first class who is being investigated over a viral video from Columbia, South Carolina. The 42-year-old Pentland is based at Fort Jackson in Columbia, according to now-deleted photos on his unit’s Facebook page. Pentland was identified by social media users on Tuesday April 13, 2021, a day after the video was posted online.

The video, which can be seen below, shows Pentland pushing, threatening and yelling at a young Black male, who has only been identified as Deandre, in the Columbia neighborhood where Pentland lives. Pentland can be heard in the video, which was posted on Facebook, telling Deandre to leave the neighborhood, and questioning him when he says he also lives there. The incident takes place on a public sidewalk in the Summit neighborhood of Columbia, according to the woman who posted it. She said Pentland also broke Deandre’s phone.

After hundreds of Twitter users sent the video to accounts associated with Fort Jackson, many accusing Pentland of displaying racist behavior, and asking if the Army condoned it, Fort Jackson Commanding General Milford Beagle Jr. tweeted, “This is by no means condoned by any service member. We will get to the bottom of this ASAP.”

Pentland and his wife, Cassie Pentland, did not immediately respond to requests for comment from Heavy. The Richland County Sheriff’s Department, City of Columbia Police Department and Fort Jackson and U.S. Army media representatives also did not immediately respond to requests for comment and more information.

Here’s what you need to know about SFC Jonathan Pentland and the viral video:

1. Pentland Can Be Heard in the Video Saying ‘What Is It That You’re Doing Here?,’ ‘You Can Walk Away or I’ll Carry You Out of Here’ & ‘You’re in the Wrong Neighborhood Motherf*****’​

2. The Woman Who Posted the Video Said Police Told Them They Could Only Charge Pentland With Malicious Injury to Property & Not Assault​

The video was posted on Facebook by a Columbia woman, Shirell Johnson, who said she was walking in the neighborhood with a friend, Vinnetta Yvonne Knight Osborne, on Monday night, April 12, 2021, when she was the incident unfolding. Johnson said in a Facebook post the video was recorded by a “young lady,” Shadae, and given to her to post online. Johnson said she, Shadae and her friend did not know Deandre before Monday night.

“She saw the young man in distress and knew he didn’t do anything wrong so she started videoing for his safety! (Smart girl❤️). She sent me the video last night and I got the ok to post it,” Johnson wrote on Facebook on April 13. “I have been in contact with both D (as I call him now) to check on him and the young lady Shadae who did the video. Both are doing ok but still processing. Last night we all bonded bc we noticed a young man in distress and he happened to be black!”

In a longer version of the video posted by Johnson, Deandre can be heard telling Pentland he doesn’t know him and asking him his name, which Pentland refuses to give him. He asks Pentland if he is an “officer of the law,” and Pentland replies, “I’m about to throw you out. I can do a hell of a lot more than you think you can. Just move along.”

Pentland’s wife, Cassie, can be heard telling Deandre, “Sir, you’re acting like a child. Move on. You picked a fight with some random young lady that’s one of our neighbors.” Deandre can be heard telling her that he didn’t pick a fight with anyone, and that he was the one who had someone run up to him.” The video ends as Johnson and her friend walk up and intervene.

Johnson added, “We waited with him until the officer arrived and we repeatedly informed the officer that D was assaulted (you all didn’t see the second instance) when he slapped his hand and his phone fell and cracked. The officer told us that his supervisor told him that he could only charge the white guy with malicious injury to property and not assault!”

According to Johnson, Deandre lives in the Summit neighborhood not far from where the incident occurred in a planned community called The Lakes at Barony Place. She said he has been “walking plenty of times and he lives in the summit!” She added, “Deandre was calm throughout.”

Johnson added, “Vinnetta and I only wanted to get D to safety bc the situation was getting out of control and that white guy was very angry and yelling at him overpowering him. We circled back to get him out of that situation bc we refused to see D go to jail or lying there dead simply bc he was black. The only thing he did was be black while walking!!!”

Columbia residents have reached out to the Richland County Sheriff’s Department asking why charges weren’t filed. One woman wrote on Facebook on the department’s page, “Why was Jonathan Pentland only issued a citation for property damage when he is on video clearly assaulting a young man and there were multiple witnesses stating they saw the assault? Who was the RCSD supervisor who issued the directive not to proceed with assault charges? Why were the proper charges not filed? Is this the narrative that RCSD wants to support-that a stranger can walk up to you during your afternoon walk and assault you with no consequences?”

3. Pentland Has Worked as a Drill Instructor at Fort Jackson & Was Recently Promoted in 2020​

jonathan pentland fort jackson

US ArmySergeant First Class Jonathan Pentland.

Pentland has been at Fort Jackson in Columbia since at least 2019 and has worked as a drill sergeant at the garrison, according to photos on the 1st Battalion 61st Infantry Regiment “Roadrunners” Fort Jackson SC Facebook page.

sfc jonathan pentland

US ArmySFC Jonathan Pentland.

According to a document from the Secretary of the Army, Pentland was promoted to sergeant first class in April 2020.

According to its website, the installation, named for Andrew Jackson, is a U.S. Army Training Center. The website explains, “Fort Jackson is home to new training facilities and schools; including the U.S. Army Soldier Support Institute, the Department of Defense Chaplain Center and School, and the Defense Academy for Credibility Assessment. Today, Fort Jackson is the biggest and most active Initial Entry Training center in the entire U.S Army training 50 percent of all Soldiers and 60 percent of the women entering the Army each year.”

4. Pentland Was Previously Based at Fort Drum as Part of the 1st Brigade Combat Team, 10th Mountain Division​

jonathan pentland army south carolina

Before Pentland was based at Fort Jackson he was stationed at Fort Drum in New York, where he was part of the 1st Brigade Combat Team, 10th Mountain Division, according to Facebook photos on the unit’s page.

jonathan pentland army

US ArmyJonathan Pentland.

Pentland also spent time as part of the 1st Battalion, 38th Infantry Regiment, 1st Stryker Brigade Combat Team, based at Fort Carson in Colorado, according to its Facebook page. He additionally spent time with the Battle Company 1-32 Infantry at Fort Drum, according to its Facebook page.

5. Pentland Is an Idaho Native Who Has Owned His Home in the Columbia Neighborhood Since May 2020​

Screen_Shot_2021-04-14_at_06.42.49.png

Pentland is originally from Mountain Home, Idaho, according to his 2006 wedding announcement. He and his wife have two young children, a son and a daughter, according to his Facebook page.

Pentland and his wife purchased their home in The Lakes at Barony Place in May 2020, according to public records.

Jonathan Pentland: Fort Jackson Commanding General Responds to Viral Video

So this racist motherfµcker and his cunt wife ain't even lived in the neighborhood for a year and they think they can dicate to people. I hope this guy suffers serious consequences and I hope social media has the same smoke for the wife if she is employed anywhere.

The other neighbor that started this whole BS walked away and I hope her ass is tracked too.

I’m so happy that the black guy had back up thanks to the woman recording and the two black ladies who walked up as this could have cost him his life.

Last edited:

thotfull

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
101,542 2,411 425
Alleybux
The audacity! These gremlins have barely even lived there a year and telling people who doesn’t even know can and can’t be there. They didn’t get the neighbors name who started it? Put her ass on blast too

nyakomdaku

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
195,796 4,947 1,016
Alleybux
And look at them posting pics of him with black people and POC. Do they think we won't believe he is racist because he was a drill sergent to people of color?

Tylerdagreat

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
66,640 10,709 609
Alleybux

Jonathan Pentland: Fort Jackson Commanding General Responds to Viral Video​

By Tom Cleary
  • Updated Apr 14, 2021 at 1:40am
jonathan pentland

Facebook/US ArmySFC Jonathan Pentland is seen in a viral video and a photo from Fort Jackson in South Carolina.

Jonathan Pentland is a U.S. Army sergeant first class who is being investigated over a viral video from Columbia, South Carolina. The 42-year-old Pentland is based at Fort Jackson in Columbia, according to now-deleted photos on his unit’s Facebook page. Pentland was identified by social media users on Tuesday April 13, 2021, a day after the video was posted online.
The video, which can be seen below, shows Pentland pushing, threatening and yelling at a young Black male, who has only been identified as Deandre, in the Columbia neighborhood where Pentland lives. Pentland can be heard in the video, which was posted on Facebook, telling Deandre to leave the neighborhood, and questioning him when he says he also lives there. The incident takes place on a public sidewalk in the Summit neighborhood of Columbia, according to the woman who posted it. She said Pentland also broke Deandre’s phone.
After hundreds of Twitter users sent the video to accounts associated with Fort Jackson, many accusing Pentland of displaying racist behavior, and asking if the Army condoned it, Fort Jackson Commanding General Milford Beagle Jr. tweeted, “This is by no means condoned by any service member. We will get to the bottom of this ASAP.”
Pentland and his wife, Cassie Pentland, did not immediately respond to requests for comment from Heavy. The Richland County Sheriff’s Department, City of Columbia Police Department and Fort Jackson and U.S. Army media representatives also did not immediately respond to requests for comment and more information.
Here’s what you need to know about SFC Jonathan Pentland and the viral video:

Pentland Can Be Heard in the Video Saying ‘What Is It That You’re Doing Here?,’ ‘You Can Walk Away or I’ll Carry You Out of Here’ & ‘You’re in the Wrong Neighborhood Motherf*****’​

The 3-minute viral video does not show what led up to the moment where Pentland was confronting the young Black male on a sidewalk in his Columbia neighborhood. It starts with Pentland telling Deandre, “go away right now.” Deandre tells Pentland to call the police and Pentland’s wife, Cassie Pentland, tells him they’ve already been called. The couple can be heard telling Deandre he was “picking fights” with people in the neighborhood.
Pentland then asks him, “What is it that you are doing here?” and he replies, “Walking.” Pentland then says, “Then walk.” Deandre can be heard saying he is walking back to his house, and Pentland’s wife cuts in and says, “Well you’ve been here like 15 minutes now,” and both Pentlands then tell him to keep walking. “Walk away,” Pentland says. “Walk away right now. You need help? I’m happy to help.” Pentland then denies hitting Deandre.
“There’s a difference between pushing you…,” Pentland can be heard saying. He then tells him he is “aggressing on the neighborhood,” and then as Deandre begins walking down the sidewalk, Pentland violently shoves him in the shoulder, lifting him off his feet. The Army sergeant first class then says, “You better walk away,” and then yells, “You walk away. You’re talking to my wife right now.”
Pentland says, “You either walk away or I’m going to carry your a** out of here.” Deandre tells Pentland not to touch him and Pentland says, “What are you going to do?” He then says, “Let’s go, walk away. I’m about to do something to you. You better start walking right now. … You’re in the wrong neighborhood motherf*****. Get out.”
Deandre then tells Pentland he lives in the neighborhood, and Pentland asks, “Where? Where’s your house? What’s your address?” The young man says he doesn’t have to tell him and Pentland’s wife then says, “Maybe we should walk you home.” The soldier then says, “Right now you are harassing the neighborhood. … We are a tight-knit community. We take care of each other. … I have never seen you before in my life.”
Pentland then gets into Deandre’s face and says, “Check it out motherf***** I’m not playing with you. You either get your a** moving or I’m going to move you. … I’m about to show you what I can do. You better walk away. Walk away.”
https://heavy.com/news/2019/01/david-steven-bell/

The Woman Who Posted the Video Said Police Told Them They Could Only Charge Pentland With Malicious Injury to Property & Not Assault​

The video was posted on Facebook by a Columbia woman, Shirell Johnson, who said she was walking in the neighborhood with a friend, Vinnetta Yvonne Knight Osborne, on Monday night, April 12, 2021, when she was the incident unfolding. Johnson said in a Facebook post the video was recorded by a “young lady,” Shadae, and given to her to post online. Johnson said she, Shadae and her friend did not know Deandre before Monday night.
“She saw the young man in distress and knew he didn’t do anything wrong so she started videoing for his safety! (Smart girl❤️). She sent me the video last night and I got the ok to post it,” Johnson wrote on Facebook on April 13. “I have been in contact with both D (as I call him now) to check on him and the young lady Shadae who did the video. Both are doing ok but still processing. Last night we all bonded bc we noticed a young man in distress and he happened to be black!”
In a longer version of the video posted by Johnson, Deandre can be heard telling Pentland he doesn’t know him and asking him his name, which Pentland refuses to give him. He asks Pentland if he is an “officer of the law,” and Pentland replies, “I’m about to throw you out. I can do a hell of a lot more than you think you can. Just move along.”
Pentland’s wife, Cassie, can be heard telling Deandre, “Sir, you’re acting like a child. Move on. You picked a fight with some random young lady that’s one of our neighbors.” Deandre can be heard telling her that he didn’t pick a fight with anyone, and that he was the one who had someone run up to him.” The video ends as Johnson and her friend walk up and intervene.
Johnson added, “We waited with him until the officer arrived and we repeatedly informed the officer that D was assaulted (you all didn’t see the second instance) when he slapped his hand and his phone fell and cracked. The officer told us that his supervisor told him that he could only charge the white guy with malicious injury to property and not assault!”
According to Johnson, Deandre lives in the Summit neighborhood not far from where the incident occurred in a planned community called The Lakes at Barony Place. She said he has been “walking plenty of times and he lives in the summit!” She added, “Deandre was calm throughout.”
Johnson added, “Vinnetta and I only wanted to get D to safety bc the situation was getting out of control and that white guy was very angry and yelling at him overpowering him. We circled back to get him out of that situation bc we refused to see D go to jail or lying there dead simply bc he was black. The only thing he did was be black while walking!!!”
Columbia residents have reached out to the Richland County Sheriff’s Department asking why charges weren’t filed. One woman wrote on Facebook on the department’s page, “Why was Jonathan Pentland only issued a citation for property damage when he is on video clearly assaulting a young man and there were multiple witnesses stating they saw the assault? Who was the RCSD supervisor who issued the directive not to proceed with assault charges? Why were the proper charges not filed? Is this the narrative that RCSD wants to support-that a stranger can walk up to you during your afternoon walk and assault you with no consequences?”
https://heavy.com/news/2020/07/colton-allen/

Pentland Has Worked as a Drill Instructor at Fort Jackson & Was Recently Promoted in 2020​

jonathan pentland fort jackson

Pentland has been at Fort Jackson in Columbia since at least 2019 and has worked as a drill sergeant at the garrison, according to photos on the 1st Battalion 61st Infantry Regiment “Roadrunners” Fort Jackson SC Facebook page.

sfc jonathan pentland

US ArmySFC Jonathan Pentland.

According to a document from the Secretary of the Army, Pentland was promoted to sergeant first class in April 2020.
According to its website, the installation, named for Andrew Jackson, is a U.S. Army Training Center. The website explains, “Fort Jackson is home to new training facilities and schools; including the U.S. Army Soldier Support Institute, the Department of Defense Chaplain Center and School, and the Defense Academy for Credibility Assessment. Today, Fort Jackson is the biggest and most active Initial Entry Training center in the entire U.S Army training 50 percent of all Soldiers and 60 percent of the women entering the Army each year.”
https://heavy.com/news/2020/02/hans-berglund-randy-clarke-video/

Pentland Was Previously Based at Fort Drum as Part of the 1st Brigade Combat Team, 10th Mountain Division​

jonathan pentland army south carolina

Before Pentland was based at Fort Jackson he was stationed at Fort Drum in New York, where he was part of the 1st Brigade Combat Team, 10th Mountain Division, according to Facebook photos on the unit’s page.

jonathan pentland army

US ArmyJonathan Pentland.

Pentland also spent time as part of the 1st Battalion, 38th Infantry Regiment, 1st Stryker Brigade Combat Team, based at Fort Carson in Colorado, according to its Facebook page. He additionally spent time with the Battle Company 1-32 Infantry at Fort Drum, according to its Facebook page.

Pentland Is an Idaho Native Who Has Owned His Home in the Columbia Neighborhood Since May 2020​

Pentland is originally from Mountain Home, Idaho, according to his 2006 wedding announcement. He and his wife have two young children, a son and a daughter, according to his Facebook page.
Pentland and his wife purchased their home in The Lakes at Barony Place in May 2020, according to public records.

gwc2005

General Manager
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
40,943 1,108 210
Alleybux
Was he at the Capitol Riots? The USA military is infested with white supremacist, and the fact of the matter is that no disciplinary action will likely be taken against this demon.

Elphaba

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
85,584 2,821 421
Alleybux
These are the sociopaths that they recruit to train people to send to other countries to do Lord knows what kind of evil. If he acts like that on a regular day in the neighborhood what is he going to do when something bad happens?

Thank you for your service my ass.

Shaun King posted the video so he should have a fun rest of the week.

Applesauce1978

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
33,044 1,485 730
Alleybux
He need to be dishonorably discharged. I live in Northeast Columbia, blacks are the majority in this area of Columbia. Obviously he didn't look around before he purchased. He was looking to just fuc* with that kid that day and didn't expect the video to go viral. I used to walk in that neighborhood for years with no issues. That whole you don't look familiar is straight bs. That neighborhood have lots of people pull up to open parking and just walk and leave. He need to shamed in oblivion and charged with assault.

Rhett

LSA's full-raised well-raised bastid is TransLion
Reaction score
Reactions
89,581 6,201 5,147
Alleybux

2. The Woman Who Posted the Video Said Police Told Them They Could Only Charge Pentland With Malicious Injury to Property & Not Assault​

They mean would, because that fuckneck put his hands on the Black guy -- put your hands on someone and that is assault, so the police could charge him with assault.

Bet they would have charged the Black guy with assault had he put his hands back on that smelly dick prick.

LaBamba

Up in the clouds, me and my sheitel
Reaction score
Reactions
251,246 11,118 1,704
Alleybux
Not surprising. There’s a lot of good ol boys amongst the ranks from flyover states who are avowed confederate flag flying racists. They’re more often than not kowtowed to and coddled so they reenlist many times, are promoted frequently and have a higher amount of negative influence on minority servicemembers (in terms of both race and gender) as they rise up. They say they joined the military out of sheer patriotism (and look down derisively at everyone who joined for bennies), but really they joined with the hopes of putting warheads on foreheads and being legally allowed to harm racial minorities. If we were in a 20 year war with a European country, most of them would never join the armed forces.

blacjac

winning
Reaction score
Reactions
81,243 3,012 1,542
Alleybux
Glad the perp's name, Jonathan Pentland, has been identified and is being posted everywhere. He'll never live this down. I see people saying he'll at least lose an Army stripe over this. He needs to also be charged with assault.

Thank God the good samaritan recorded this. People, always have a camera with you - it could save your life or someone else's.

Side note: When I look at Deandre, I can't unsee JoJo Simmons.

JordiLaForge

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
31,811 1,426 696
Alleybux
the Klansman was just so confident! and his wife, "sooOOooooOO WHHhhhYYYY have you been here for 15 minutes???" "i've called the police let's see how that Goes"

the local police have released statements on their facebook. The language that there's been "incorrect information distributed" sounds like they're already setting up an exit strategy for the racist aggressor.

Ey8zEqOXAAU2H7p

LavenderLush

Anti-Captalism Marxist-Leninist- Activist
Reaction score
Reactions
12,798 255 222
Alleybux
Capitalism and racism , Go hand in hand. US Imperialism goes over seas and causes terror among the world, The US Military is a example of this. These troops be killing people for fun & games like sports in other countries for no reason...!!! , This Racist , us army Imperialist Colonizer is disgusting

First Thyme Caller

DMX's Voice
Reaction score
Reactions
126,545 2,095 483
Alleybux
It's none of his business how long he's lived in the neighborhood, but you want him to tell you where he lives and why he is walking around the neighborhood?

tenor (1) - 2020-10-19T130044.203.gif

We're still in a pandemic so people walking their neighborhoods should not be out of place to them.

I dont know how this altercation started but I'm sure it could have been handled without him getting in his face, putting hands on him and trying to intimidate him. The fact that he refused to move at his command upset him even more because bigman felt he should've run cowering from him never to return to their "tight knit" community.

Last edited:

Lola Slayona

Therapy Couch Supporter Since My LSA Debut.
Reaction score
Reactions
10,827 37 23
Alleybux
I'm sick and tired of these racist fuckers. I'm glad it was recorded because there's no telling what would've happened. His cue ball headed ass needs to be arrested for assault and harassment.

Patrick Star

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
47,805 1,504 1,688
Alleybux
Yes. Cause I'm tired of being in similar situations and black men just stand there and shrug their shoulders.
Why do y’all project so much? Y’all need therapy. If your so tired stop coming into threads like these about black men. Go on with your life. No one is forcing you to think about black men, read about black men or save black men. Y’all want to spread y’all toxicity to everyone and everywhere.

redbud tree

Ballin in Instabal, Turkey
Reaction score
Reactions
383,682 10,681 3,149
Alleybux
Well, they can't say they were afraid of him or intimidated by him. And definitely not when the wife offered to walk him home. So, what's left in terms of excuses?

Mikhail Bakunin

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
154,039 19,673 18,910
Alleybux
Last edited:

kamikazemind

Good to hear from you bish
Reaction score
Reactions
67,453 1,264 531
Alleybux
Asking his private info. He doesn’t give it.
Black guy ask for his. Wife says “it’s none of your business”

right. So the fµck you asking for mine?

white ppl are demons on earth.

Dale Rick Nor

Crush and Crush Again
Reaction score
Reactions
197,540 6,360 6,710
Alleybux
That was nice of her but she should let BM handle it.
If the White guy did it to the Black guy, he'd do it to someone else eventually. It was best to nip this in the bud. It prevents him from doing it to anyone else, man or woman. Complaining about what she did is cutting your nose off to spite your face.

Sally from the Valley

I CALL HIM DADDY 'CUZ HE RAISED ME
Reaction score
Reactions
299,147 9,895 6,199
Alleybux
If the White guy did it to the Black guy, he'd do it to someone else eventually. It was best to nip this in the bud. It prevents him from doing it to anyone else, man or woman. Complaining about what she did is cutting your nose off to spite your face.
Where you see a complaint?

BM should hold their own nuts. Is that too much to ask?

Women are not obligated to protect you. I would have minded my business.

vaguebeaut

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
175,970 2,936 1,237
Alleybux
Well, they can't say they were afraid of him or intimidated by him. And definitely not when the wife offered to walk him home. So, what's left in terms of excuses?

It's interesting because they're harassing the man, but yet the YT man is acting like the Black man is harassing him by being in their "tight knit community". Like, you and your wife are the ones causing a scene for no reason.

Last edited: