Quantcast

"Whitney Houston - I Wanna Dance with Somebody Official Biopic"

ScorpioStinger

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
3,094 61 9
Alleybux
And Nicole is probably too short and i guess older than what they were going for.

If an actress is good enough you can almost excuse the fact that they don't have a resemblance to the person they are portraying. I have seen this done numerous times. But if they are playing Whitney. They better come with a statuesque body that can work the hell out of a gown, and have her mannerisms. They don't necessarily have to sing because they will be using her music, just lip sync good. There better be some vocal tones and inflection when she speaks, and not over acting like that thing they did on lifetime. I wanted to just slap her.

GrahamCracker

Don't fµck with me fellas!
Reaction score
Reactions
109,120 709 177
Alleybux
If an actress is good enough you can almost excuse the fact that they don't have a resemblance to the person they are portraying. I have seen this done numerous times. But if they are playing Whitney. They better come with a statuesque body that can work the hell out of a gown, and have her mannerisms. They don't necessarily have to sing because they will be using her music, just lip sync good. There better be some vocal tones and inflection when she speaks, and not over acting like that thing they did on lifetime. I wanted to just slap her.
The thing with portraying performers (or charismatic public figures) is that their "x factor" has to be conveyed. This is often where these things fail. I think when people buy the actor as the real life person they're portraying, they don't even care about factual inaccuracies that much.
With this biopic the key will be replicating what they did with the Tina biopic - making the public believe that the voice is coming from the actress.

Mertz

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
25,764 2,171 2,199
Alleybux
She doesn’t look anything like Whitney at all lmao

Has anyone seen her act? I’ll be pissed as hell if they botch this movie. This role could legit be an Oscar-winning performance for the right actress
I’ve seen her act and she is a fantastic serious actress. This could be her What’s Got To Do With It

Nippian

Do Not Quote Me With Nonsense
Reaction score
Reactions
38,359 398 237
Alleybux
New information on the biopic, straight from Clive's mouth.

Literally! with Rob Lowe - Let's Proceed (w/ Clive Davis) on Stitcher

48:58 - 55:54

Clive put Anthony McCarten, the screenwriter in touch with
Whitney’s family, her psychiatrist, Nicole David, and stylists to get a better understanding of Whitney as a person. The psychiatrist part was startling and feels wrong in all sorts of ways.

Naomi will not be singing - everything will be lip synched - as you can’t replicate Whitney's voice.

He mentioned showing Anthony a lot of Whitney’s live performances including all the footage he has from his Grammy parties.

There will be a soundtrack album.

Not my summary but pretty much what was said.

Last edited:

Nippian

Reaction score
Reactions
38,359 398 237
Alleybux
This sounds like a bad deja vu.

The other two documentaries were inaccurate, one-dimensional etc but wasn't the previous official movie supposed to allow us to understand Whitney better, show us her genius, who she was as a person ?

It was mainly Pat, Gary, Donna, Nicole David's version of who Whitney was, and 99% of the fan base as well as the general public were not here for that.

Now the very same people will share their version of who Whitney was again.

The psychiatrist ? I mean honestly, is it even legal ?

Wow, he showed the screenwriter a lot of live performances, how amazing, I mean there are like 10000 performances on YouTube alone.

This sounds like another exploitation rather than a celebration, just like the one before, and every other documentary for that matter.

The family wanted to fool people just a few years ago and it did not work out well for them, another deja vu is coming.

The so-called Primary Wave era started very well (Higher Love) but everything after that has been subpar, disrespectful, unnecessary and useless.

THE STANDARD

GTFO!
Reaction score
Reactions
263,484 7,022 6,890
Alleybux
This sounds like a bad deja vu.

The other two documentaries were inaccurate, one-dimensional etc but wasn't the previous official movie supposed to allow us to understand Whitney better, show us her genius, who she was as a person ?

It was mainly Pat, Gary, Donna, Nicole David's version of who Whitney was, and 99% of the fan base as well as the general public were not here for that.

Now the very same people will share their version of who Whitney was again.

The psychiatrist ? I mean honestly, is it even legal ?

Wow, he showed the screenwriter a lot of live performances, how amazing, I mean there are like 10000 performances on YouTube alone.

This sounds like another exploitation rather than a celebration, just like the one before, and every other documentary for that matter.

The family wanted to fool people just a few years ago and it did not work out well for them, another deja vu is coming.

The so-called Primary Wave era started very well (Higher Love) but everything after that has been subpar, disrespectful, unnecessary and useless.
Only one missing is Tina Brown, My God!

NippyandMimi

We Will Always Love You Whitney.
Reaction score
Reactions
12,435 465 244
Alleybux
All we can do is hope it turns out better than the ones before. Whitney truly deserves an amazing biopic but I don’t think that’ll happen anytime soon unfortunately.

GrahamCracker

Don't fµck with me fellas!
Reaction score
Reactions
109,120 709 177
Alleybux
"The goal of the biopic is to come up with a very realistic, very honest story," Davis says. "As well as capturing her losing battle with addiction, capturing her vocal genius and influence on music and contemporary musicians. Capturing not only pitfalls, but also the professional musical triumphs that she succeeded in accomplishing. To present the full story of Whitney Houston impeccably and (ensure) that it will be realistic in every respect."
This sounds like a fairly standard statement for such projects.
I wouldn't expect the biopic to be some dramatized study of her talents. Accomplishments in biopics are usually a 20 second slideshow of charts, awards, selling figures and magazine covers with a notable performance thrown in. For the most part they serve as the backdrop of the life drama.

I also hope Clive doesn't do what has been done in the Aretha Genius show with his character. The way he was written was a bit too saccharine and on the nose for me.

They will probably build a narrative ark with a peak around the early 90's. That part will probably focus on her (commercial) achievements and Clive's character will probably feature heavily in it.There will of course be a gospel scene with paritioners in awe of young Whitney.
After that it will probably be "the downfall" with Clive written around his standard claim of having known little about what was going on with Whitney.

Nippian

Reaction score
Reactions
38,359 398 237
Alleybux
Can you paste that in this thread, please? That link requires a subscription. Thank you

Fixed the link.

I have no idea why you couldn't open it, I do not have a subscription.

Click "story continues". I avoid posting full articles because of copyrights.

YUNGJUDAH

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
35,232 3,768 3,807
Alleybux
After Genius Aretha the Respect movie and this Whitney movie better bring it because Genius shut it down.

Mertz

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
25,764 2,171 2,199
Alleybux
Naomi Ackie is very pretty. gorgeous face. So she will definitely be able to pull off Whitney.

But her being a great actress is what's most important.

THE STANDARD

GTFO!
Reaction score
Reactions
263,484 7,022 6,890
Alleybux
Naomi Ackie is very pretty. gorgeous face. So she will definitely be able to pull off Whitney.

But her being a great actress is what's most important.
I don’t want her playing Whitney as a caricature of what she became. I’m still not sure how I feel about this....

YUNGJUDAH

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
35,232 3,768 3,807
Alleybux
I can kinda see it i hope she smashes it.

Attachments

• fc67a69de1cd7949158cb5cd653736c9.jpg
    fc67a69de1cd7949158cb5cd653736c9.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 21

Mertz

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
25,764 2,171 2,199
Alleybux
I don’t want her playing Whitney as a caricature of what she became. I’m still not sure how I feel about this....

Well from her interviews she seems to have a great admiration and respect for her.....and it sounds like she is really taking this seriously and focusing on who she actually was. I doubt that she makes her a caricature.....and i don't believe the director would let that happen anyway. It also helps that Naomi is a classically trained actress.

I'm hoping this turns out to be an Angela Bassett "What's Love Got to Do With It" moment.

Mertz

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
25,764 2,171 2,199
Alleybux
I can kinda see it i hope she smashes it.

I think she is gorgeous. I've seen her in other things....she's a great actress. She was amazing in The End of the F*cking World (which she just one a BAFTA for btw). I'll be watching her in Master of None too. She's versatile and classically trained.

PiscesMoonGirl

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
29,615 714 229
Alleybux
No offense meant, but, with all due respect... um... I mean she's lovely. She seems nice. We get it. That's all there is to say about her at the moment. It's usually a good idea to kind of maybe let things lie for a bit and then bubble up on their own. Because I know I automatically start against someone when they are hyped TOO much. Again, no disrespect meant.
She is SO pretty. I think she is be amazing. I can see her in the Whitney hair, make up, and clothing.

Mertz

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
25,764 2,171 2,199
Alleybux
No offense meant, but, with all due respect... um... I mean she's lovely. She seems nice. We get it. That's all there is to say about her at the moment. It's usually a good idea to kind of maybe let things lie for a bit and then bubble up on their own. Because I know I automatically start against someone when they are hyped TOO much. Again, no disrespect meant.

Well i was just trying to balance out the pessimism in this thread. And its gonna die down anyway. The film doesn't come out for a year and a half. If I want to say something positive about the actress, that's okay.

Also I've seen her in 4 projects now. So I've seen a bunch of her work.

Last edited:

ScorpioStinger

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
3,094 61 9
Alleybux
She should have played whitney!!! But we are stuck with that woman lol

PRESS PLAY!!!!

I always said that, but she has also said in an interview that she has turned other roles down that portrayed Whitney, she won't do it. She's always looked like a young Whitney to me, but I don't think she has the singing chops to pull of Whitney vocals. She sings good buy IJS. She was the one and only.

Nippian

Reaction score
Reactions
38,359 398 237
Alleybux
TriStar Chief Nicole Brown Talks Streamers, Theaters and Her Focus on Finding Elevated, Director-Driven Content

In August, we will be starting I Wanna Dance With Somebody, our Whitney Houston biopic.

Cora Cora

General Manager
BANNED
Reaction score
Reactions
9,228 890 1,012
Alleybux
After Genius Aretha the Respect movie and this Whitney movie better bring it because Genius shut it down.
Genius was good as hell! I know Cynthia is hated on this board but she didn't look a thing like 'Retha but she played that role. Whitney needs a Genius instead of a biopic. She needs 8 or 10 hours to really tell her story. Clive produced Genius and it was amazing. I am ready to see what Jennifer got because Cynthia bodied that sh!t chile.

Mertz

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
25,764 2,171 2,199
Alleybux
Probably mainly unknown actors found at castings.

This is a big commercial film with a Thanksgiving release date. Someone from that cast is gonna be a big name. However I do like the idea of this film being mainly unknowns....its easier to get lost in the story.

CestLaVie1

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
12,384 1,612 133
Alleybux
I don't think this interview with Naomi was ever posted

Let me just say - Naomi is a VERY talented actress. She's fantastic. She doesn't look like Whitney at all but hair and makeup can do wonders (Angela Bassett doesn't look anything like Tina Turner either but she did in Whats Love Got To Do With It)

Naomi is NOT my concern with this film. The girl can ACT which IMO is the most important part (especially since they will be using Whitney's voice for the music so she will just have to lip sync like Angela did in Whats Love Got To Do With It). I have heard thay Naomi has already lost weight for the role and she's been watching tons of concerts, interviews and everything Clive gave her access to.

My concern is with the screenplay (which is why I'm trying to get my hands on it) and the director. I didn't much like Bohemian Rapsody, the screenplay was so flat and it's from the same man who wrote this biopic. It wasn't awful but it wasn't great either. And the director. The Photograph was such a blah film, I wish they had someone more experienced for this.