Quantcast

Who Comes From A Family Where ALL The BM Are With BW?

CokeChanel

BK born. Trini raised.
Reaction score
Reactions
328,766 11,683 2,889
Alleybux
I’m African and I have family members who marry out. I have 2 aunts who are married to white men , 2 uncles who are married to white women (and they are not fat ) , My cousins on my mom side are all currently in relationship with white people. And I think my siblings ( I have 2 brothers and 2 sisters) will marry out as well since they seem to be mainly attracted to non-black people. I’m the only one who will get married to a black person.
Wow. That’s, sad.

KemetWarrior

NO TANGIBLES, NO VOTE! #REPARATIONS#SUPPORTYOUROWN
Reaction score
Reactions
1,696 689 1,020
Alleybux
I do. 85% of Bm are with Bw, so this isn't a surprise.

jonesy22

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
40,121 1,263 1,039
Alleybux
yes i do but im african so I think it's normal for us, hopefully it will continue to be normal for the younger generations in my family.
This is normal for everyone. 90 percent of all marriages are interracial couples.

This site is so odd for making it seem like interracial marriages are the norm.

Shello

Jamaican Gyol
Reaction score
Reactions
12,436 616 434
Alleybux
I'm the one that married out lol. I also have an aunt on the wild side with me but she has 3 kids with a jamaican man and got married in her later years.

Gold Cat

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
21,586 4,440 5,485
Alleybux
My parents divorced when I was young.

My father married a Korean American Woman. She’s my stepmother and a great woman.

Half Of My Uncles Married Middle Eastern, White or Asian Women and the other ones married black or biracial black women.

All of my aunts have married or only been with black men.
Who did your mother marry.

TastyCake204

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
57,547 3,513 1,453
Alleybux
My family (that I talk to) isn't too big but no interracial couple from my sisters and I, and none of our cousins or close relatives.

froggyluv2

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
114,510 5,608 5,179
Alleybux
There are none in my family.

I mean to be blunt, I believe that its a class issue .

Before people groan, I am saying this from the perspective of hearing people who might be the first in their family to receive a college education often associating the lifestyle that they encounter in certain educated (often PWI campus) milieus as being counter to what they know and have experienced of blackness. They then associate what are in reality class differences with a repudiation of all that they associate with blackness. Keep in mind, that often what they associate with blackness is more so the lower less ideal issues that arise from class inequality. As a result, "This is how educated people with means live" instead subconsciously becomes associated with non-black. Perfect example: the only two black women that pledged white sororities in my undergrad came from very low income urban settings and were both first time college grads. In contrast, the Divine 9 experience was so deeply embedded in my family that I would likely have been disowned if I'd pledged a white sorority. The only black guys who married non-black also came from a similar background.

I think one of the downsides of integration is that it further stratified class in the black community. Those that could, quickly moved away from the old neighborhood where prior to integration everyone had to live together. Living together allowed people to see one another and gave a much more varied and nuanced picture of blackness. When affluent blacks left the old neighborhoods, they left behind those who could not leave in neighborhoods that increasingly represented only one narrow picture of the black experience in America-----broken, disenfranchised, self destructive, and downtrodden. This experience provided little reflection upon class and became a sort of monolith in popular culture as well, often now being presented as the ONLY specifically BLACK experience.

Add to the above the insular nature of the black upper class, many of whom have become even more rooted in respectability politics, and it frankly becomes easier for someone who is coming from humble beginnings to move in white spaces than it is to seek entry into upper middle class to affluent black spaces. These become the black people who talk about needing to look outside of blackness for "quality romantic partners" or platonic friends. Honestly, even among my friends and associates, I don't know of any black people from upper middle class to affluent backgrounds who married interracially.

Eh, who knows. Perhaps I'm all wrong. It's late.