Quantcast

Who Kidnapped The Abdul'Fariq Brothers? One Found Dead, The Other Still Missing 30 Years Later

SHINeer

Mrs. Chalamet
Reaction score
Reactions
119,933 5,564 666
Alleybux
DJIB76K555CCRJ5IRTSK2HXYVI.jpg

story.brothers.courtesy.jpg

Seven-year-old Jamal and his eight-year-old brother, Basil were dropped off by their stepmother to their mother, Tambra Ellis' apartment on 1700 block Clarkson Road in Richmond, Virginia on April 16, 1990.

The boys were playing outside in the front yard around 2:30pm while Tambra was asleep inside after working the night shift the day before. Tambra woke up from her nap and looked for Jamal & Basil, but couldn't find them. After looking for the boys for 45 minutes, Tambra called the police. The boys never returned to the apartment.

Three days after the boys disappeared, authorities found Basil's body in a Chesterfield landfill which was 10 miles away from their home. He was bound, gagged, stabbed in the back twice and his skull was fractured postmortem.

Basil's killer put his remains in a plastic garbage bag and put it in a dumpster and from there, his body was taken to the landfill. There was no sign of Jamal at the scene and he hasn't been seen since.

After Basil's body was discovered, investigators detained Jamal and Basil's father, Everett Abdul'Fariq for three hours. Court documents indicated that authorities believed that the child was injured or killed inside his father's home. A search of Everett's property failed to provide any evidence to support the theory.

Everett has never been implicated in connection with Basil's murder and Jamal's disappearance, but he denied a lie detector test, saying that it was contrary to his Muslim religious beliefs.

Jamal's parents have been ruled out in his disappearance and Basil's murder. Jamal has a scar on his left eyebrow, a mole on the temple above his left ear and he had a small gap between his upper front teeth at the time of his disappearance. He was wearing a black Batman t-shirt, blue jeans, a gray & red fleece baseball jacket, and white sneakers on the day he disappeared.

Jamal enjoyed pizza, watching & playing basketball and watching Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles videos in 1990. Authorities believe it's possible that Jamal is still alive, but his case remains unsolved.

BARY73J5KZCMFGTF3QB6IBNIE4.jpg

Additional pictures of Jamal
images

upload_2020-8-22_21-28-21.jpeg

Age progression
upload_2020-8-22_21-28-43.jpeg

------------------------------------------------

I don't think he's alive personally, whoever kidnapped him was also able to brutally murder his brother. It doesn't seem like they would want to raise a child.

Last edited:

luckygirl93

Caramel Goddess
Reaction score
Reactions
407,574 21,354 16,210
Alleybux
But why? If they weren’t molested it seems like they were killed by someone they knew who wanted them dead. They should look into the mother more. What mother goes to sleep and leaves her kids outside by themselves? Especially little kids? Or it could be the father or stepmother as well

SHINeer

Mrs. Chalamet
Reaction score
Reactions
119,933 5,564 666
Alleybux
Here's another article i found with more details.

Jamal and his eight-year-old brother, Basil, were dropped off at their mother's apartment in the 1700 block of Clarkson Road by their stepmother on April 16, 1990 in Richmond, Virginia. The boys, 7 and 8 years old, went outside to play in the front yard at 2:30 p.m. while their mother, Tambra Ellis, went to nap inside as she had worked the night shift the day before at the local DuPont factory. Basil and Jamal begged Tambra to let them go outside to play as it was spring break and the boys wanted to join other kids in their neighborhood. Tambra did not worry about the boys playing outside as they walked to school on their own every day.

Tambra woke up after her 30 minute nap and went outside to check on her sons but could not find them. After forty-five minutes of searching the grounds surrounding her 600-unit apartment complex, a convenience store and a nearby playground, she contacted the police. Search dogs, law enforcement officers and volunteers canvassed the neighborhood while helicopters surveyed the area from above. Tambra noted that she was in the army reserves at the time so many soldiers from her reserve unit were looking for her sons as well. The search continued into the night and for the next two days.

Three days later, authorities discovered Basil's fully clothed body in a Chesterfield County landfill ten miles from their home. A truck driver noticed the body protruding from a torn plastic garbage bag. Basil had been bound, gagged and stabbed twice in the back, and his skull had been fractured postmortem. His killer placed his remains in a plastic garbage bag and put the remains in a dumpster where eventually his body was taken to the landfill. Tambra never saw Basil’s body as the police recommended she not do so. The medical examiner determined that the stab wounds killed Basil. After they found Basil, investigators spent at least a day going through all of the rest of the trash in that dump. Investigators identified the dumpster truck that carried Basil's body to the dump, but the lead went nowhere.

Following the discovery of Basil's body, investigators turned their focus on the boys' father Everett Abdul Faruq. Court documents indicated that authorities initially believed that Basil was injured or killed inside his father's home but a search of his home did not turn up anything that could link Everett to the crime. Everett has never been implicated in connection with his sons' cases; however, he did refuse to take a lie detector test saying it was contrary to his religious beliefs. Nevertheless, the detective handling the case noted that both parents were cooperative from the very beginning. Eventually both of Jamal's parents were ruled out as suspects in Jamal's disappearance and Basil's murder.

DNA testing was not readily available at the time Basil's body was found and when Jamal vanished. Richmond detectives in 2010 noted that law enforcement has access to a DNA database that could prove helpful and that the state lab has agreed to look at the duct tape that was found on Basil. In 2010, tips also pointed to Jamal being alive and living in Hinesville, Georgia. The two anonymous tips, received in June 2010, came after the boys' story aired on "America's Most Wanted as the broadcast featured an age-enhanced photo showing what Jamal might look like at 26 years old. It appeared to viewers of the show that they saw somebody who resembled Jamal at a Wal-Mart. Detectives reviewed surveillance tapes but could not substantiate the identification.

Tambra has a heartbreaking theory on why Basil was the brother that was found noting that Basil was likely trying to protect Jamal as they were protective of each other. Tambra's friend, Rose Thomas, remembers Jamal as the playful, fun brother and Basil as “the little intellectual who delighted in sharing bits and pieces of information he had learned.” According to Rose, in that respect, Basil was like his mother as Tambra was known for "being full of useless information she picked up from reading the encyclopedia as a kid"; Rose remembered saying her throat was sore one time and recalls how Basil started talking about the esophagus and anatomy of the throat. Tambra never remarried or had other children but she has nieces and nephews who she spends time with when she can. She also keeps busy with friends, work and volunteer causes. She notes that some people know about the tragedy in her past but it is not something she volunteers as “even talking about the boys sometimes feels wrong.” She "[holds] them very dear and near to [her]...it's almost sanctimonious to even share what time [she] had with them with anybody."

Detective Johnny Capocelli of the Chesterfield Police Department notes that Detective James Baynes of the Richmond Police Department has been working “countless days and nights,"trying to solve the case and “from all [his] years of cold cases, this is never going to be one that sits on the shelf and gathers dust." Anyone with information concerning Jamal or Basil are asked to contact Metro Richmond Crime Stoppers at (804) 780-1000.

HoneyHitch

Class Clown Superlative
Reaction score
Reactions
121,126 3,746 918
Alleybux
Unfortunately the unfound brother is probably deceased too. The entire community is a suspect because they were outside unsupervised. The mother couldn’t even tell authorities what direction they went in or who they were playing with because she was napping

yafavegeminisayshi

queen gemini
Reaction score
Reactions
785 7
Alleybux
Wow, this is heartbreaking. I'm kinda confused though. How long was Tambra asleep? Would the stepmom or the dad swing back around just to kill these kids in said amount of time. I don't remember reading if they had an abusive relationship with their father? (Kinda dumb to refuse a polygraph - religion or not). And I'm pretty sure Jamal was in that landfill or one an equal distance away. But as everybody knows, once something is in a landfill...its as good as gone.

zara905

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
15,013 593 531
Alleybux
But why? If they weren’t molested it seems like they were killed by someone they knew who wanted them dead. They should look into the mother more. What mother goes to sleep and leaves her kids outside by themselves? Especially little kids? Or it could be the father or stepmother as well

it was different time? Lots of hands off parenting in 70's and 80's

Rochelle Dionna

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
56,804 6,595 11,393
Alleybux
I dont think she did it. But I was thinking the same thing. You have to remember in the 80s and early nineties, kids went out to play with neighborhood kids and didnt come back home until the street lights went on. Times are different now.

Last edited:

NebbyNilla

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
63,317 1,776 603
Alleybux
Whomever the suspect is, he or she noted the vulnerability in the mother’s lack of attention. I know it must still eat her alive.

Thaguru

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
22,801 1,648 752
Alleybux
During those times it was perfectly normal to do dumb a** sh!t like that. Trust me. Parents were way more lax

PC Carolyn

MOVE OUT THE WAY
Reaction score
Reactions
74,788 1,282 1,102
Alleybux
This is so sad. Those poor babies. I grew up in an apartment complex and went out to play without supervision at their age. I don’t think it was unusual in the 90s.

Creole Praline

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
72,610 1,976 1,218
Alleybux
I can’t believe the Mother is being blamed for her child being brutally murdered and another presumed dead. How heartless can some of you be?! During this time there weren’t huge amounts of kidnappings, xes trafficking and kids being molested/raped.

This time was filled with kids being able to play I-spy and jump rope in the streets without worry of being knocked over by a drunk driver. Everyone kept “an eye” out for kids in the neighborhood. We played outside for hours without worry. With our Dads at work and Moms in the kitchen cooking.

There are no comparisons of today where we need to watch out for predators online, police acting like the thugs, kids preferring to stay inside with video games and neighbors not giving a damn what happens outside of their home. Kids had the freedom to be kids. Playing outside at 7 and 8 shouldn’t have been a death sentence.

Creole Praline

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
72,610 1,976 1,218
Alleybux
Those sweet babies were taken and murdered by someone they knew. I can’t see two black kids not making noise or putting up a fight if a stranger or white person walked up to them.

It was either a neighbor they knew who touched them and killed them to keep them quiet or the Dad circled back around and got them to leave with him. I hope in the Moms lifetime she’s able to get answers and justice for her baby boys. This is such a fµcked up world, but I’m happy more families are getting justice with the use of old evidence being preserved and testing being used now.

The world is so much more cruel now. I can’t even let my daughter go for a walk or jog alone. She either had a son with her or our Rottweiler. Along with mace, pepper spray and a knife. I didn’t even allow my 12 year daughter to walk across the street to get a drink.

Meenah

~~~~~~Where The Money Reside~~~~~~
Reaction score
Reactions
243,222 3,811 905
Alleybux
If they tracked down the truck the dumpsters on that route are extremely important. Did anyone see anything or hear anything weird around that time. Hopefully they can get hits on the DNA.

The dad's excuse about not taking the lie detector test for religious reasons is BS. Nothing in Islam that says it's haram. You're not taking an oath during a lie detector test so I can't think of any reason it would be against Islamic teaching. Although that's the case I'm not confident that he should be a solid suspect. The mother confirmed she saw/spoke to the kids. Had the stepmom claimed she dropped them off and the mother never saw them I would see the stepmom and dad as suspects. It's a possibility but neighbors are also possible suspects.

There is an updated photo age progression of Jamal:

jamal_abdulfaruq_4.jpg

Gravedigger

Deceased, workin' the night shift
Reaction score
Reactions
5,676 124 126
Alleybux
Right this is so heartbreaking
And it was so avoidable.
Perhaps the days when she has had a night shift they could have stayed with their dad as she would need to sleep during the day?

Or maybe the person(s) who murdered these children shouldn't have murdered them?

Anatwyla

my booty opened a portal to success
Reaction score
Reactions
189,871 4,705 804
Alleybux
Wow, this is heartbreaking. I'm kinda confused though. How long was Tambra asleep? Would the stepmom or the dad swing back around just to kill these kids in said amount of time. I don't remember reading if they had an abusive relationship with their father? (Kinda dumb to refuse a polygraph - religion or not). And I'm pretty sure Jamal was in that landfill or one an equal distance away. But as everybody knows, once something is in a landfill...its as good as gone.

A note about polygraphs - they aren't admissable in court and are unreliable pseudoscience. The cops use them to fish out information and scare people. ALWAYS REFUSE A POLYGRAPH. I think the father is involved, but at the same time refusing a polygraph, passing or failing one doesn't indicate guilt or innocence. I hate that the media portrays these as legitimate.

Rochelle Dionna

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
56,804 6,595 11,393
Alleybux
This is so sad. Those poor babies. I grew up in an apartment complex and went out to play without supervision at their age. I don’t think it was unusual in the 90s.
It was. These boys would be a a year or two younger than me had they lived. Yes in the eighties kids played, and walked the streets by themselves. Grown me would have never let my child do that now, not even in my own fenced in locked back yard. Times have changed. Poor woman and babies.

BeautifulBia

I AM A BILLIONAIRE
Reaction score
Reactions
17,839 926 288
Alleybux

Not sure how old you are but the 80s and 90s were much different. I remember playing outside the entire day with other neighborhood kids and didn't come back home until the streetlights came on. It's a different time now but this is how things were back then.

BabysScorpio

And so it was
Reaction score
Reactions
304,622 7,555 4,083
Alleybux
Oh my :( This is so sad! RIP to Basil and I think it's really likely Jamal is gone too. May he be found :( Basil's murder was very brutal and had a lack of care. I know the dad is a suspect but was there anyone who absolutely hated either the mom or the dad? Maybe one of them owed someone money? Was the stepmom ruled out? God, I know the mom probably beats herself up over this :(

LustNLuxury

Afro-American Princess <3
Reaction score
Reactions
497,558 11,248 1,828
Alleybux
I actually believe the mother is completely innocent. I do believe she went to take a nap and I don’t think the two boys went with a stranger.
Two young boys willingly going with a stranger? I doubt it. I also don’t think anyone would keep quiet if they seen the boys go with a random person.

Dahalla

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
52,072 2,925 346
Alleybux
The dad did it....
He didn’t give a polygraph test because of his Muslim faith? bµllsh!t.
The Muslim faith completely allows lie detector tests there’s no reason why not. He’s hiding something those poor babies may they receive justice one day

Urbest

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
214,130 11,494 3,304
Alleybux
That's very awful to do that to anyone let alone a child. Sadly, I don't think the other brother is alive. I'm not sure the father did it, but I imagine it's someone known to the mother or family.

upwiththemoon

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
14,887 1,082 56
Alleybux
I had never heard of this case. I wonder if Jamal was also in the landfill, but they just never located him? It seems Basil was only located due to his body protruding from a bag. For instance, Jhessye Shockley’s final resting place is still believed to have been in a landfill, even though multiple searches yielded nothing. So it is possible. Super sad.