Quantcast

Why are beautiful people with low self esteem more influenced by negative comments then compliments?

Do you think beautiful women get more compliments them put downs

• Beautiful women get more compliments then they get out downs

Votes: 10 45.5%
  • Beautiful women get more put downs then compliments

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • It is even

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • I don’t know

Votes: 6 27.3%

• Total voters

Sophia2000

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
24,677 10,407 14,234
Alleybux
Why are beautiful people with low self esteem more influenced by negative comments then compliments?

We often say society teaches black women to hate ourselves but it also teaches us to love ourselves too. From likes and comments that tell beautiful women they are beautiful how are you gravitating more to the negative comments? Like for every ugly comment you get 20 compliments. And argue with the one person that think you ugly are not show gratitude with the 20 that think you are beautiful

Ashlyan

I'm not telling you
Reaction score
Reactions
23,132 1,162 396
Alleybux
It depends on what motivates us and inspires our minds to think. Some people function better in dysfunction and shun the good stuff. Pay attention to the threads that get more energy and go trending. It's the same vibe.

buttahpecan_

lsa’s resident sweetheart.
Reaction score
Reactions
194,150 5,964 1,501
Alleybux
I get complimented a lot on my looks but most of the time I’m my biggest critic so even if I’m looking my best I’ll find something wrong

Last edited:

Sophia2000

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
24,677 10,407 14,234
Alleybux
I get complimented a lot on my looks but most of the time I’m my biggest critic
This. And I have a hard time accepting that “society teaches us to hate ourselves” arguement as to why so many of us have self esteem issues when society teaches everyone to hate themselves.
More so women I know, but we act like lil black boys didn’t grow up playing with white action figures, playing with white video game characters as the main role g.I Joe wrestling figures yet that doesn’t have the same effect as black girls playing with white dolls

Sophia2000

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
24,677 10,407 14,234
Alleybux
Because everyone’s minds are designed to focus on the negative, in general.
Yeah but then why when a unattractive person is complimented or a person who is beautiful but society deems as unattractive is complimented they are way more likely to be receptive to their compliments then a pretty person is.

I see so many women who aren’t classified as pretty blush when they are complimented while the ones deemed pretty are unbothered

Ava Gardner

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
3,842 126 25
Alleybux
Yeah but then why when a unattractive person is complimented or a person who is beautiful but society deems as unattractive is complimented they are way more likely to be receptive to their compliments then a pretty person is.

I see so many women who aren’t classified as pretty blush when they are complimented while the ones deemed pretty are unbothered
Because those people were not targeted by jealous people who said things to them to try to bring them down, or they like the way they look and don’t care what other people think, and those people aren’t unattractive just because you say they are (beauty is in the eye of the beholder).

Ms Muse

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
44,328 1,532 718
Alleybux
We often say society teaches black women to hate ourselves but it also teaches us to love ourselves too.
People might learn to love themselves, but society teaches BW that what they love about themselves is cause for the negative treatment they receive, so I'm not sure this argument is equal across all ethnicities.

In the case of that crying yt, I think she was so used to being uplifted that she'd never really felt the other side of the spectrum. My guess is that she knows she's not all that facially, and that this confirms her insecurity that maybe she doesn't deserve the push she's getting (looks wise or acting wise).

Love your threads btw lol

Sophia2000

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
24,677 10,407 14,234
Alleybux
Beauty is subjective but self esteem is not subjective Tons of unattractive are targeted. There are tons of unattractive people that don’t like how they look and tons of attractive people that don’t like how they look. Beauty is subjective but how a person responds to people that view them as beautiful is not subjective
Because those people were not targeted by jealous people who said things to them to try to bring them down, or they like the way they look and don’t care what other people think, and those people aren’t unattractive just because you say they are (beauty is in the eye of the beholder).

Amuro

Kiryu's wife
Reaction score
Reactions
26,252 480 95
Alleybux
Even if a beautiful person gets complimented all the times and were never criticized for their looks, they can have low self esteem with different aspects in life (feeling accepted, deserving of a healthy realtionship etc)

Sophia2000

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
24,677 10,407 14,234
Alleybux
Even if a beautiful person gets complimented all the times and were never criticized for their looks, they can have low self esteem with different aspects in life (feeling accepted, deserving of a healthy realtionship etc)
Referring to the pretty ones that have self esteem issues about their looks I.e Lil Kim

Sophia2000

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
24,677 10,407 14,234
Alleybux
People might learn to love themselves, but society teaches BW that what they love about themselves is cause for the negative treatment they receive, so I'm not sure this argument is equal across all ethnicities.

In the case of that crying yt, I think she was so used to being uplifted that she'd never really felt the other side of the spectrum. My guess is that she knows she's not all that facially, and that this confirms her insecurity that maybe she doesn't deserve the push she's getting (looks wise or acting wise).

Love your threads btw lol
Issue I have is anything that is taught can be untaught.
And just because someone has a lesson doesn’t mean I have to learn it. I have failed many of classes.
I guess to me it is if everyone tells you that you are beautiful & that isn’t teaching you then something deeper is going on

Amuro

Kiryu's wife
Reaction score
Reactions
26,252 480 95
Alleybux
Referring to the pretty ones that have self esteem issues about their looks I.e Lil Kim
well Little Kim had an abusive realtionship with her father and numerous other men. She commented that most of these men left her for lighter skinned women so she internalized it. Someone who dealt with that amount of trauma will not focus on the millions good compliments that people gave her.

Last edited:

Nitpickr

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
70,054 2,368 2,105
Alleybux
Yes human nature. Not pretty people nature. So why is this seen as a issue only with beautiful people?
Because we see pretty people as having it all. They have more so we think “they should be grateful of what they have!”

Games

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
53,941 3,665 3,118
Alleybux
The need for outside validation is not rooted in love and truth, so what ends up happening is you get knocked down because your soul and spirit is urging you to not care about what others think of you. Comments should be turned off, and if they aren't turned off, they shouldn't be read. If they have to be read, then the negative comments should be removed and the person who said it, blocked.

It is very simple, but I understand celebs and conventionally attractive people being hypersensitive because their livelihood is tied to what people think of them. They should hire social media personnel to monitor their comment sections. Once we know you're sensitive, the trolls rejoice, and really go in.

Sophia2000

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
24,677 10,407 14,234
Alleybux
well Little Kim had an abusive realtionship with her father and numerous other men. She commented that most of these men left her for lighter skinned women so she internalized it. Someone who dealt with that amount of trauma will not focus on the millions good compliments that her people gave her.
I vaguely could recall this but soon as you said it memories stirred up. This begs the question are lil girls conditioned or is it in their nature to seek the validation of their father? When Lil girls twirl in their dress so their father tell them how beautiful they are is it that they are conditioned by society or is it in lil girls nature to want to seek validation specifically from their father as opposed to their mother?

Lori O

Real Talk
Reaction score
Reactions
30,537 2,903 2,135
Alleybux

I agree with the other op's it's human nature. Most pretty people don't acknowledge compliments because they get it so often it means nothing. Unattractive people may seem to blush but in actuality may think someone is on bs for complementing them. So it's all the same the unattractive person focused on the negative over the positive.

Amuro

Kiryu's wife
Reaction score
Reactions
26,252 480 95
Alleybux
I vaguely could recall this but soon as you said it memories stirred up. This begs the question are lil girls conditioned or is it in their nature to seek the validation of their father? When Lil girls twirl in their dress so their father tell them how beautiful they are is it that they are conditioned by society or is it in lil girls nature to want to seek validation specifically from their father as opposed to their mother?

I think children seek validation from both parents, some children may lean to their father or mother depending on their realtionship. From my perspective with me not having my biological father in my life and having numerous step dads who some I have had healthy relationships and others straight up abusive, I do think that made how I see men in general quite warped.

Sophia2000

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
24,677 10,407 14,234
Alleybux
I think children seek validation from both parents, some children may lean to their father or mother depending on their realtionship. From my perspective with me not having my biological father in my life and having numerous step dads who some I have had healthy relationships and others straight up abusive, I do think that made how I see men in general quite warped.
You said it, children do seek validation from both parents. But I notice when a woman doesn’t get it from her father she often seeks it from other men I.e boys.
To me boys don’t really do it as much. I know boys that their fathers wanted them to play baseball and instead of doing it to make their dads proud and happy they was like “naw I like this anime over here kick rocks dad” but that is just my observation

Sophia2000

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
24,677 10,407 14,234
Alleybux
I agree with the other op's it's human nature. Most pretty people don't acknowledge compliments because they get it so often it means nothing. Unattractive people may seem to blush but in actuality may think someone is on bs for complementing them. So it's all the same the unattractive person focused on the negative over the positive.
But in the same breath if you get enough insults shouldn’t it mean nothing you get used to it or is that part of human nature as well? I know so many women that want to go to France specifically to be courted by French men and to be adorned with compliments. Also if pretty people are so used to compliments that it means nothing what is the purpose of taking 500 selfies in a day and posting it if you are not a social media influencer?

Lori O

Real Talk
Reaction score
Reactions
30,537 2,903 2,135
Alleybux
But in the same breath if you get enough insults shouldn’t it mean nothing you get used to it or is that part of human nature as well? I know so many women that want to go to France specifically to be courted by French men and to be adorned with compliments. Also if pretty people are so used to compliments that it means nothing what is the purpose of taking 500 selfies in a day and posting it if you are not a social media influencer?
Validation! Pretty doesn't negate ugly inside. Know one pretty or ugly is taking 500 selfies a day unless they need validation.

Sannyssa

Rookie
Reaction score
Reactions
428 19 97
Alleybux
Because they have low self esteem? You kind of answered your own question already.