Quantcast

Why Are Black Owned Businesses So Overpriced?

ShadyBih

QUEEN
Reaction score
Reactions
6,166 896 1,077
Alleybux
I love to support my fellow black people but sometimes when i come across their online shops, I always find that when I place an order it takes forever to come or it does not come, and when you ask the owner their attitude is ridiculous.

Then another issue is the pricing, a lot of these companies buy these same things from china and print their logo on it and upsell it for 50x what the paid for it. Especially the clothing, the fashion nova looking black shops get their clothes from aliexpress as well as lashes and bundles and sell it back for ridiculous prices.

Also when it comes to t shirts and dad hats, why would anyone pay $60+ for a t shirt that says black lives matter, or my melanin is poppin or a dad hat with the words henny on it for 40$.... a lot of these basic clothing items i can make myself or find for 1000x cheaper.

Just saying black businesses would be supported way more if there were better customer service,(no arguing on ig with a unsatisfied customer and posting the customers business for everyone to see) as well as providing correct and reliable shipping information....

XUserX

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
121,114 2,431 1,381
Alleybux
When you own 1000 BSS across the US and sublet them to your countrymen who are willing to work for low wages for decades in return for a new life, in addition to getting various types of government assistance, you can both buy your items at an extremely low rate and sell them for an extremely low rate.

When you struggle to put together enough money to open 1 BSS -- never mind getting a loan at a decent rate- and can only order the minimum amount of product you have to sell it at a higher cost.

ex A. 2000 items at $1 each. Sell for $3

ex B. 30 items at $2 each. Sell for $3.25

But keep buying the white/asian/arab mans ice... It won't feed your soul.

Last edited:

ShadyBih

QUEEN
Reaction score
Reactions
6,166 896 1,077
Alleybux
When you own 1000 BSS across the US and sublet them to your countrymen who are willing to work for low wages for decades in return for a new life, in addition to getting various types of government assistance, you can both buy your items at an extremely low rate and sell them for an extremely low rate.

When you struggle to put together enough money to open 1 BSS -- never mind getting a loan at a decent rate- and can only order the minimum amount of product you have to sell it at a higher cost.

But you know keep buying the white/asian/arab mans ice... It won't feed your soul.

not only stores i mean like online businesses, the aliexpress crap is all the same pricing for everyone cheaper wholesale as well

Salone_Chic

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
379,388 7,307 4,083
Alleybux
They don’t get discounts. Big businesses (Walmart, Amazon, Target, etc.) get cheaper unit prices. A smalle business doesn’t have as much bargaining power.

ShadyBih

QUEEN
Reaction score
Reactions
6,166 896 1,077
Alleybux
They don’t get discounts. Big businesses (Walmart, Amazon, Target, etc.) get cheaper unit prices. A smalle business doesn’t have as much bargaining power.

they all get the same prices on aliexpress as anyone else does.... i dont mean like big black owned stores bc i dont know any but i meant black online shops... they dont get charged anymore than anyone else to sell eyelashes and bundles as well as pre made t shirts

anayay

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
11,123 86 39
Alleybux
Say it again for the people in the back!!! I hate the blasting of whatever beef or problems youre having with a customer. no matter what its unprofessional to talk about that mess. They don't understand how that alone drives away some customers. All the extra fees for booking appointments and everything is nonrefundable erks my nerves.

YUWannaNo

DA SAM HILL WRONG WITCHU
Reaction score
Reactions
126,293 2,721 602
Alleybux

not to mention the cash only places who everyone knows is scamming the government but they stay getting a leg up

MERVEILLEUSE

Encyclopedia Dramatica
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
713,807 11,268 4,454
Alleybux
Black people will happily pay any price for the most basic of goods and services elsewhere, but as soon as a black business owner prices themselves at something that looks like they may make a living wage these same negroes wanna complain. Then y'all want a discount all the damn time. Ridiculous.

And yes, too many black businesses are run extremely unprofessionally. Just look at some of these business ig's that have all types of vulgar memes and personal drama on them...

sankofaa__

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
207,151 2,991 2,018
Alleybux
this is why i don't pay attention to anything on IG anymore. i ordered some hair products that were supposedly amazing. took over 3 weeks to get a tracking number and that was only because i commented in her IG that i wanted a refund. she immediately tells me to text the number in her bio (?). when i text her, she says that she can't give me a refund because she "really really wanted me to have the products" and that if i didn't cancel the order, she'd mail it right away and throw in a free co-wash. i said okay and asked why i had to do all this just to get something i purchased, no response.

to top it off, the products + cowash showed up a few days later and my hair hated both. :expressionless:

MimiLuvs...

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
184,466 4,633 535
Alleybux
I've only noticed this kind of stuff in brick-and-mortar, beauty supply stores in which store owners would charge $4-to-$8 dollars more to minor products like small bottles of essential oils.

ashbee

Ignoramus
Reaction score
Reactions
261,505 8,882 11,234
Alleybux
Economies of scale and lack thereof. That and not having the strongest understanding of pricing strategy.

Last edited:

31savage

Like a $avage
Reaction score
Reactions
89,643 2,710 4,840
Alleybux
I love to support my fellow black people but sometimes when i come across their online shops, I always find that when I place an order it takes forever to come or it does not come, and when you ask the owner their attitude is ridiculous.

Then another issue is the pricing, a lot of these companies buy these same things from china and print their logo on it and upsell it for 50x what the paid for it. Especially the clothing, the fashion nova looking black shops get their clothes from aliexpress as well as lashes and bundles and sell it back for ridiculous prices.

Also when it comes to t shirts and dad hats, why would anyone pay $60+ for a t shirt that says black lives matter, or my melanin is poppin or a dad hat with the words henny on it for 40$.... a lot of these basic clothing items i can make myself or find for 1000x cheaper.

Just saying black businesses would be supported way more if there were better customer service,(no arguing on ig with a unsatisfied customer and posting the customers business for everyone to see) as well as providing correct and reliable shipping information....

You were in the other thread making excuses for racist, no customer service having foreigners and illegals yet were holding black businesses to a higher standard. You didn't get enough groans in the first thread and decided to make a whole other one. Why do some blacks, if you are black, bend over backwards to spend their money with non-black business owners who are just as unprofessional as the black businesses they attack?

bindy

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
60,071 2,477 612
Alleybux
Some multi-state stores such as Family Dollar don't buy their products upfront. They get the products on consignment and then pay for the products as they are sold.

31savage

Like a $avage
Reaction score
Reactions
89,643 2,710 4,840
Alleybux

Preach to these self hating bihs who lack any cultural pride or sense of self preservation. These same hoes quick to run down a detailed list of ways black business suck while happily spending their cash with racists who follow them around, attack people in their community and call them by racial slurs they from the yts

ShadyBih

QUEEN
Reaction score
Reactions
6,166 896 1,077
Alleybux
You were in the other thread making excuses for racist, no customer service having foreigners and illegals yet were holding black businesses to a higher standard. You didn't get enough groans in the first thread and decided to make a whole other one. Why do some blacks, if you are black, bend over backwards to spend their money with non-black business owners who are just as unprofessional as the black businesses they attack?

I'm not bending backwards to support anyone, if someone sell it and its in my budget i will purchase it.... i wasn't making excuses i was stating facts my manager was not racist and from MY experience working at a BSS if ppl look like they're stealing they most likely are wtf, honestly ppl of all races stalk me when i go to stores.. what do u call it when a black woman stalks u at sephora ? the sh!t happens to everyone and anyone... and I've never had a run in with anyone who ran a business and wasnt black. work at a beauty supply then u can talk

ShadyBih

QUEEN
Reaction score
Reactions
6,166 896 1,077
Alleybux
Preach to these self hating bihs who lack any cultural pride or sense of self preservation. These same hoes quick to run down a detailed list of ways black business suck while happily spending their cash with racists who follow them around, attack people in their community and call them by racial slurs they from the yts
lol black women follow black women... I'm confused on ur point..... I'm self hating bc i spend my money wherever my budget fits? shut up ur in the wrong thread apparently goodbye

MsNewLyfe

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
30,991 554 376
Alleybux
I'm a black owned business (cakes) and I found a lot of people from our community wanted a damn hook up. If you knew the work that went into custom cakes, you'd understand the price point.

Most of my clients aren't from the community and they don't mind paying whatever I charge, because of the exclusivity of getting one of my cakes. Now those in the community want to spend the money because those of the other races are into them heavy.

I'm sure of other races started frequenting black businesses, blacks would too. Sounds crazy, but it's true in most cases.

ShadyBih

QUEEN
Reaction score
Reactions
6,166 896 1,077
Alleybux
I'm a black owned business (cakes) and I found a lot of people from our community wanted a damn hook up. If you knew the work that went into custom cakes, you'd understand the price point.

Most of my clients aren't from the community and they don't mind paying whatever I charge, because of the exclusivity of getting one of my cakes. Now those in the community want to spend the money because those of the other races are into them heavy.

I'm sure of other races started frequenting black businesses, blacks would too. Sounds crazy, but it's true in most cases.

and i would spend all my money on ur exclusive cakes. some of these black businesses sell things from aliexpress at a 10000% markup when i can go and google it myself there isn't anything exclusive about it which makes it hard to support.

Nefertiti Edges

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
7,753 129 73
Alleybux
More Black owned businesses need to operate in majority BLACK neighborhoods. These online stores with these ridiculous prices then spending weeks waiting for a tracking number just don't work for me.

I'm in college I'm broke!!!!! I want to buy more from Black businesses esp in the hair and body department but damn. I can't afford a lot of the stuff I see that I like. It's unfortunate.

PrettyMhfka

Team Owner
BANNED
Reaction score
Reactions
60,316 2,156 2,460
Alleybux
a LOT of it is greed. I follow a lot of black businesses (as fonts know I'm always posting them here when i find ones that really have a unique niche) but if you pay attn to the owners it will tell u a lot regarding pricing. I know of a lot of wholesale vendors and pricing as well. for example (those dresses all on IG with those flared out "leaf" sleeves used to be $20 on eBay.) you couldn't get anyone to buy them. businesses started buying them out and selling them for $100 plus. notice most of these ig boutique owners "do it up" for the gram (expensive cars, designer clothes, etc) when they are really still in the beginning stages of their business.

theres one popppuuullaaarrr ig business that I know for a fact gets her clothing off of eBay and the items actually cost $4-8 per piece. she sells them for $40+ per piece. you can also look at the style # on your clothing (tag) and search that online and usually you can find the direct vendor/store. its saved me a ton of money.

I dont mind supporting but I'm not stupid either.

hairdressers are even worse now. i just saw a post on ig a few seconds ago where (its a text thread) a girl wanted a wig sewn on, but the hairstylist was trying to charge her a few hundred dollars and told her to come washed, blowdried, and already braided. all the stylist had to do was put the wig on her head.

PrettyMhfka

Team Owner
BANNED
Reaction score
Reactions
60,316 2,156 2,460
Alleybux
and i would spend all my money on ur exclusive cakes. some of these black businesses sell things from aliexpress at a 10000% markup when i can go and google it myself there isn't anything exclusive about it which makes it hard to support.

exactly. i know this as a fact.

Nubiacoco

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
230,078 6,713 1,067
Alleybux
People go to convenience stores owned by Asians, Arabs etcc.... willing to pay higher prices than at the regular stores because they know and understand they dont get the products at the same price that the bigger chains. Why don't we apply the same mindset for Black owned businesses? Some will get racially profiled at Starbucks, H&M, their local target etc.... but will go back there the next day? If we can accept Crap from non Black folks why can we not accept it from our own?

Sommie789

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
141,720 4,906 3,868
Alleybux
More Black owned businesses need to operate in majority BLACK neighborhoods. These online stores with these ridiculous prices then spending weeks waiting for a tracking number just don't work for me.

I'm in college I'm broke!!!!! I want to buy more from Black businesses esp in the hair and body department but damn. I can't afford a lot of the stuff I see that I like. It's unfortunate.
Well runing actual store is tough and some neighborhood are not safe.

Sommie789

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
141,720 4,906 3,868
Alleybux
Priorities is the problem.

ShadyBih

QUEEN
Reaction score
Reactions
6,166 896 1,077
Alleybux
People go to convenience stores owned by Asians, Arabs etcc.... willing to pay higher prices than at the regular stores because they know and understand they dont get the products at the same price that the bigger chains. Why don't we apply the same mindset for Black owned businesses? Some will get racially profiled at Starbucks, H&M, their local target etc.... but will go back there the next day? If we can accept Crap from non Black folks why can we not accept it from our own?

i dont accept it from anyone i will hold grudges until i die