Quantcast

Why Are Black Owned Businesses So Overpriced?

Noire Talk

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
29,529 304 66
Alleybux
I'm not going to act like there is not unprofessional B.O.B because there is. I hate it because the businesses that is doing it right gets overshadow from the unprofessional ones.

I shop Black all the time and from my experience overall I haven't had many headaches probably only 1 or 2. This is why I do research 1st and read reviews before buying.

I also come across Black shops who don't sell the typical aliexpress, they do ship on time, make their own line of products whether its hand made or manufacturer & other products besides melanin "nothing wrong with that" but other items they sell.

From time to time I shop at Non Black places and there was events where I never got my products had to ask for a refund and the service was unprofessional.

So I try not to make it as a "Black thing" I get it there are some Black owned shops that do need improvement. But nobody calls out Non Black shops because they can be just as unprofessional too.

Last edited:

ShadyBih

QUEEN
Reaction score
Reactions
6,166 896 1,077
Alleybux
I'm not going to act like there is not unprofessional B.O.B because there is. I hate it because the businesses that is doing it right gets overshadow from the unprofessional ones.

I shop Black all the time and from my experience overall I haven't had many headaches probably only 1 or 2. This is why I do reseach 1st and read reviews before buying.

I also come across Black shops who don't sell the typical aliexpress, they do ship on time, make their own line of products whether its hand made or manufacturer & other products besides melanin "nothing wrong with that" but other items they sell.

From time to time I shop at Non Black places and there was events where I never got my products had to ask for a refund and the service was unprofessional.

So I try not to make it as a "Black thing" I get it there are some Black owned shops that do need improvement. But nobody calls out Non Black shops because they can be just as unprofessional too.

i think noone calls them out bc they dont complain about not being supported. and I've had bad customer service over and over with BOB it turned me off in so many ways... ordered lashes never came and got into an argument wit the owner on instagram had to dispute the charges.. ordered a dress for homecoming a month in advance never came and didn't get a response from the lady had to dispute.... and it goes on and on and on....

beatrixkiddo1

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
111,446 2,302 906
Alleybux
I just need my black businesses to have better operations strategies. I hate when I see these influencers who open stores and show all the packages they have to ship out. b!tches be posting on ig stories about “sending out tracking numbers soon”. sh!t looks so damn unorganized and basic.

ShadyBih

QUEEN
Reaction score
Reactions
6,166 896 1,077
Alleybux
I just need my black businesses to have better operations strategies. I hate when I see these influencers who open stores and show all the packages they have to ship out. b!tches be posting on ig stories about “sending out tracking numbers soon”. sh!t looks so damn unorganized and basic.

thats the issue, since their net famous their businesses get popular fast and they're the ones with the worst customer service

BadBadGirl

I'M AN OBSESSION
Reaction score
Reactions
365,151 22,109 24,928
Alleybux
When you own 1000 BSS across the US and sublet them to your countrymen who are willing to work for low wages for decades in return for a new life, in addition to getting various types of government assistance, you can both buy your items at an extremely low rate and sell them for an extremely low rate.

When you struggle to put together enough money to open 1 BSS -- never mind getting a loan at a decent rate- and can only order the minimum amount of product you have to sell it at a higher cost.

ex A. 2000 items at $1 each. Sell for $3

ex B. 30 items at $2 each. Sell for $3.25

But keep buying the white/asian/arab mans ice... It won't feed your soul.

Thank you. I can’t believe OP wrote some sh!t like this.

Noire Talk

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
29,529 304 66
Alleybux
i think noone calls them out bc they dont complain about not being supported. and I've had bad customer service over and over with BOB it turned me off in so many ways... ordered lashes never came and got into an argument wit the owner on instagram had to dispute the charges.. ordered a dress for homecoming a month in advance never came and didn't get a response from the lady had to dispute.... and it goes on and on and on....

Non Blacks recieve support true but nobody calls out the unprofessionalism with some of their businesses even if they're getting support.

However your experience seems stressful I hope that you do receive better customer service.

ClosedCase

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
9,078 623 420
Alleybux
I agree I am a hat enthusiast. I normally order from Lids which is a white own prominent hat company. I wanted another type of hat that I saw on etsy and paid $23 for it. I washed it and it shrunk so I left a review and the black male owner responded back super cocky and arrogant. THE CUSTOMER IS ALWAYS RIGHT, Needless to say I will only order hats from Lids.

I ordered a hat from Lids and it was missing a pin so i contacted them and they told me to keep the hat and refunded my money. This black guy shop owner said I never heard of a hat shrinking and I would have sent you one again but now I'm not thanks for supporting though.

Never ever will buy a hat again from a black guy.

gracie13

“I am Hippolyta! I am Hippolyta!
Reaction score
Reactions
328,109 8,179 3,883
Alleybux
Some think you should automatically support them just because they are black. They don't understand that they aren't owed anything.

This type of thinking keeps Black people across the diaspora poor!

That's the main reason you should support!

Every other ethnicity I know literally only supports people who look like them, simply because they are from the same place! They only loose support because the product or customer service is lacking!

I now have the funds! And I'm searching for some quality Black owned companies to support!

gracie13

Reaction score
Reactions
328,109 8,179 3,883
Alleybux
I agree I am a hat enthusiast. I normally order from Lids which is a white own prominent hat company. I wanted another type of hat that I saw on etsy and paid $23 for it. I washed it and it shrunk so I left a review and the black male owner responded back super cocky and arrogant. THE CUSTOMER IS ALWAYS RIGHT, Needless to say I will only order hats from Lids.

I ordered a hat from Lids and it was missing a pin so i contacted them and they told me to keep the hat and refunded my money. This black guy shop owner said I never heard of a hat shrinking and I would have sent you one again but now I'm not thanks for supporting though.

Never ever will buy a hat again from a black guy.

People take every bad experience from a Black person and boycott all Black people.

White people straight dragged us, lynch us and discriminate against us.

Yet, we're always in their face begging them to take our money! Because the white man's ice is colder!

Y'all pissing me off in this thread!

@Peg please link some reputable black stores in this thread! I'm getting fed up!

Notgone27

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
191,666 7,388 7,367
Alleybux
they all get the same prices on aliexpress as anyone else does.... i dont mean like big black owned stores bc i dont know any but i meant black online shops... they dont get charged anymore than anyone else to sell eyelashes and bundles as well as pre made t shirts

this is a such small facet of black business

online shops that sell aliexpress items are usually fly by night businesses that want to make easy money

gracie13

Reaction score
Reactions
328,109 8,179 3,883
Alleybux
Preach to these self hating bihs who lack any cultural pride or sense of self preservation. These same hoes quick to run down a detailed list of ways black business suck while happily spending their cash with racists who follow them around, attack people in their community and call them by racial slurs they from the yts

Lol!! I'm just now seeing you and @Peg post! I didn't even notice them, since I'm dragging folks in here!

Smh wake up! Y'all wake up!!! They don't like us! They would rather us die! Yet, we're in here dragging our own! Ask the people y'all love giving money to, if they prefer Us as their customers!

VivianDoubt

Moxie Brown; because I gotta a lot of Moxie
Reaction score
Reactions
35,285 3,930 4,878
Alleybux
ECOMONIC 101. Section 1.1
Today's lesson, everybody, is on supply and demand. Because BOB (Black Own Business) are few and far between and people want them so much, they are just doing what other people would do. They are getting their money's worth and because you want something that will go back into the community, they know they are going to pay whatever price set to do that.

gracie13

Reaction score
Reactions
328,109 8,179 3,883
Alleybux
When you own 1000 BSS across the US and sublet them to your countrymen who are willing to work for low wages for decades in return for a new life, in addition to getting various types of government assistance, you can both buy your items at an extremely low rate and sell them for an extremely low rate.

When you struggle to put together enough money to open 1 BSS -- never mind getting a loan at a decent rate- and can only order the minimum amount of product you have to sell it at a higher cost.

ex A. 2000 items at $1 each. Sell for $3

ex B. 30 items at $2 each. Sell for $3.25

But keep buying the white/asian/arab mans ice... It won't feed your soul.

Omg!! I just said your last line! Didn't even notice you in here yet!!

gracie13

Reaction score
Reactions
328,109 8,179 3,883
Alleybux
I'm a black owned business (cakes) and I found a lot of people from our community wanted a damn hook up. If you knew the work that went into custom cakes, you'd understand the price point.

Most of my clients aren't from the community and they don't mind paying whatever I charge, because of the exclusivity of getting one of my cakes. Now those in the community want to spend the money because those of the other races are into them heavy.

I'm sure of other races started frequenting black businesses, blacks would too. Sounds crazy, but it's true in most cases.

Are you based in California?

Can we/I see a sample of your cakes?

Talk is cheap! I'm willing to pay if your cake is good and you're Cali! Let's put up or shut up!

K_Diddy

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
66,860 1,664 69
Alleybux
I'm about to start a graphic t-shirt line, and I've been struggling about pricing. I want to be fair with the costs (also have alternatives for people who can't afford shirts, like stickers, buttons, etc). At the same time, a heffa has bills to pay and would like to be able have a decent income from the line. I'm definitely going to continue doing my research, and hopefully come up with a decent and fair price point

ClosedCase

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
9,078 623 420
Alleybux
People take every bad experience from a Black person and boycott all Black people.

White people straight dragged us, lynch us and discriminate against us.

Yet, we're always in their face begging them to take our money! Because the white man's ice is colder!

Y'all pissing me off in this thread!

@Peg please link some reputable black stores in this thread! I'm getting fed up!

I bought a fitted cap from an African and it was horrible quality as well. Not all white people "straight dragged us, lynch us and discriminate against us."
I am sure black people would do us the way white people did in the past.

gracie13

Reaction score
Reactions
328,109 8,179 3,883
Alleybux
I'm about to start a graphic t-shirt line, and I've been struggling about pricing. I want to be fair with the costs (also have alternatives for people who can't afford shirts, like stickers, buttons, etc). At the same time, a heffa has bills to pay and would like to be able have a decent income from the line.

I like t-shirts with famous Black women on it!

Like my AVI!

What are you trying to sell?

MsNewLyfe

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
30,991 554 376
Alleybux

Talk is cheap! I'm willing to pay if your cake is good and you're Cali! Let's put up or shut up!

I am in Cali. SoCal area. You can see my IG feed: maryelizabethscreations

I sent you a message.

gracie13

Reaction score
Reactions
328,109 8,179 3,883
Alleybux
I bought a fitted cap from an African and it was horrible quality as well. Not all white people "straight dragged us, lynch us and discriminate against us."
I am sure black people would do us the way white people did in the past.

Are you freaking serious right now?

Chile!!! You're so quick to defend white people! But, willing to drop your own at the drop of hat!

I can't...

31savage

Like a $avage
Reaction score
Reactions
89,642 2,710 4,840
Alleybux
Lol!! I'm just now seeing you and @Peg post! I didn't even notice them, since I'm dragging folks in here!

Smh wake up! Y'all wake up!!! They don't like us! They would rather us die! Yet, we're in here dragging our own! Ask the people y'all love giving money to, if they prefer Us as their customers!

I will support the most raggedy black business before I give my money to these demons. One of my favorite places to eat is a trifling Jamaican establishment where the people are rude and they always out of stuff and a soul food place with the same issues. IDGAF. I'd rather them eat with my money than any of these beasts who come to my community to exploit it.

MsNewLyfe

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
30,991 554 376
Alleybux
and i would spend all my money on ur exclusive cakes. some of these black businesses sell things from aliexpress at a 10000% markup when i can go and google it myself there isn't anything exclusive about it which makes it hard to support.

It's a lot of online seller who do that. They're all over Etsy.

K_Diddy

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
66,860 1,664 69
Alleybux
I like t-shirts with famous Black women on it!

Like my AVI!

What are you trying to sell?
My demographic is primarily towards black women, other women of color, feminists/womanists. I'm trying to make them cute and well designed. I did some test samples of a few of my shirts, just to check for quality, sizing, etc. And so far so good! I'm also going to have the shirts go up to a size 5x. Us larger women sometimes have a hard time finding graphic tees that fit. A sista is trying to be inclusive :lashes

gracie13

Reaction score
Reactions
328,109 8,179 3,883
Alleybux
My demographic is primarily towards black women, other women of color, feminists/womanists. I'm trying to make them cute and well designed. I did some test samples of a few of my shirts, just to check for quality, sizing, etc. And so far so good! I'm also going to have the shirts go up to a size 5x. Us larger women sometimes have a hard time finding graphic tees that fit. A sista is trying to be inclusive :lashes

Please make sure they stretch! People have gotten Business from LSA.

Maybe we can start an incognito business thread?

Creme Si Bon

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
44,564 2,380 401
Alleybux
This reminds me of when I got married and was trying to use black owned businesses when I could. I contacted a black harpist and she quoted me a price of $600 for one hour. I responded to her and asked if there was any possible way to come down on the price. Her response was that's the price and you can take it or leave it. I didn't even bother to respond back.

I found "other" harpists who agreed to perform for $150. The harpist I chose had a resume similar to my first choice. My guess is the first girl most likely did not have another gig lined up for that day, so she got zero dollars for that day. Oh well, I tried.

ETA: I did use a black owned bakery for my wedding cake, and she provided excellent service. So give a black owned business a try, if they come through great. If they don't, at least you tried.

Last edited:

ClosedCase

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
9,078 623 420
Alleybux
Are you freaking serious right now?

Chile!!! You're so quick to defend white people! But, willing to drop your own at the drop of hat!

I can't...
STOP IT -I am not defending white people just being reasonable.
I don't know where your're from but in NYC black people are different. They will do you like "the white man". But I understand what you're saying.

Nefertiti Edges

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
7,753 129 73
Alleybux
Well runing actual store is tough and some neighborhood are not safe.
Well then if they're too afraid to set up shop in the very community they're trying to get money from they can't complain when Black people don't want to/can't afford to buy the product

Sun Kissed jj

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
112,976 2,610 373
Alleybux
1. Many are small businesses so have to price their items high in order to breakeven.
2. Some have no business skills and believe in pricing their products to the highest price consumers will buy even though they might sell more and earn more money with a lower price.

Personally I like supporting small black businesses even with their high prices but I won't support those that are rude and think I need to shop with them.

Ezra Miller

⭐ DA NAME STAYS! PM ME FOR YOUR TAROT NEEDS ⭐
Reaction score
Reactions
287,371 9,793 5,303
Alleybux
Yous a mess, OP.

I usually search for black owned businesses and if the product is worth the price, then I'll pay.

JoanClayton

Team Owner
SUPER MODERATOR
Reaction score
Reactions
244,066 2,760 187
Alleybux
I am fine with paying full retail price at Black owned business (brick and mortar or online). I really want us to be successful and so I do what I can to support. Over the years, I’ve become more and more conscious about our power as consumers. Unless you treat me poorly, you have me as a customer.