Adorn
Wale Ambitious album

Those are some I can think of from my head

The snack that bites back
Reactions
26,560 286 145
Alleybux
Rnb from the 2010s is fine, but pop....
You got it right op. Edm is to blame. I can only listen to Gaga’s pop albums from that era. She was innovative and the trendsetter during that wave in music. Her songs and music videos were thematic and story driven so it wasn’t just generic cheesy records. A lot of the girls were trying to copy her tbh.

Reactions
5,135 43 33
Alleybux
over abundance of loops, less experienced or lazy producers buying chord packs and the like because they don’t feel like learning how to structure chords, no dynamics throughout the song. It’s great when it’s new and loud and you’re having fun but later you notice just how flat the music is.

Even some seasoned producers are on social media on how they’re just waiting for bridges to come back because they’re ready to bring it. That makes me think the labels are just asking people to make the bare minimum as quickly as they can.

Reactions
9,566 96
Alleybux
I found the 2010s pop music very over processed and artificial sounding, like you can't hear the singer's real voice or hear the real instruments

Reactions
412 29 10
Alleybux
I agree that EDM made these songs age extremely badly, and although I didn't like them at the time the monotony of today's music sorta makes me nostalgic for all the hits we had back in the 2010s (ex. Starships by Nicki Minaj, Teenage Dream by Katy Perry, Party Rock Anthem). I have a theory that people don't appreciate the music of their own time until decades later, kinda like how kids in the 80s were nostalgic for music/culture of the 50s that their parents listened to in their time (ex. Grease, Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go by Wham), and like how Gen Z is bringing back music/culture from the 90s/2000s. Sooo I guess it's just history repeating itself

Reactions
4,795 76 15
Alleybux
The issue isn't EDM. It's poor and lazy production. The mainstream sound in the 2010s was very generic, overly processed, and cookie-cutter. High quality EDM tracks are euphoric and take you on a trance. They do not sound remotely close to the poorly produced songs of the 2010s. Hell, I've found incredible mixes on YouTube and Soundcloud by talented underground/unknown producers. Shitty production comes in all genres. The only song from that era I liked was David Guetta - Memories.

Last edited:
Reactions
412 63 45
Alleybux
I think (particularly the early 2010s) was a unique time in music history occurring right in the middle of transition period between when people actually bought CDS early to mid 2000s and prior to the Spotify/streaming era of music mid to late 2010s.As others have noted, the over-reliance/indulgence on EDM/electronic influence and trying to make hits go viral on Youtube rally hurt the music of that period. "Friday" by Rebecca Black (released early 2011) is a perfect parody of this; the auto-tune, the repetitive lyrics, etc. Vice just did a video marking the 20th anniversary of "A Thousand Miles" by Vanessa Carlton and what was so striking was how she and the producers talked about not writing to make a hit and what makes that song so timeless is also the organic instrumentation (strings, piano, guitar). You also had a lot of pop music in the early to mid 2000s were guitar driven with heavy rock influences even if they were written by super pop producers like Dr. Luke (see P!nk, Kelly Clarkson). A lot of the music from the 2010s that's survived that's electronic seems to be the ones that are influenced by the 80s (which seems to be a popular trend in pop now).

Reactions
29,308 291 48
Alleybux
The same way trap music is going to be outdated. its just too repetitive!
A lot of the hits that used trap beats are not going to age well at all. Meanwhile, I was listening to some stuff from the 90s the other day and it still sounded great, because so many of the best rap producers were using samples from jazz, funk, and soul as the foundation for their production.

Reactions
22,634 200 127
Alleybux
I prefer the music from 10 years ago to now.
I enjoyed Adorn by Miguel, some of Lil Wayne's songs, Rick Ross, Kendrick Lamar, J Cole, Rihanna's hits compared to the slow, boring stuff they play now.

Reactions
10,212 75 17
Alleybux
Tbh I’ve never liked that song.. it sounded too electronic/edm for my tastes

That and where have you been are some of Rih’s most outdated sounding songs imo

it really doesnt help that when they dropped, they were blasted everywhere.
they're definitely on the lower end of my favorites from riri

If you can....
Reactions
133,010 5,029 2,794
Alleybux
A lot of music from the 90s has aged beautifully. I never said it was dated, it just sounds bad and it aged poorly.
90’s was over 20 years ago so ofc you would. People always start having an affinity for things from 2 decades before (this is the 20 year rule). We just came out of the 2010s so yeah it would be “dated” to people now but in another 10 years people will be singing a different tune.
10 years ago = “2000 and late”
20 years ago = “Vintage”
What you’re saying now is what people said about the 90’s in the 2000’s but look how obsessed yall were with it in the 2010’s and still are obsessed now. Same was said about the 2000’s but it’s been steadily coming back in style. The same will happen with the 2010’s in the 2030’s. Happens like clock work.

Reactions
154,184 2,714 1,617
Alleybux
It was trash when it came out but payola was no joke in the 2010s

Dated sounding music is not automatically bad music. There are a ton of songs from back in the day that were good, but didn’t have a timeless sound. 2010s music was just crappy. Stan Twitter hyped it up because of the numbers aka payola

The Culture

Ask LSA

General Alley

Recent Posts

Asian Doll says she's choosing her baby daddy based on how many birkins he can buy her
This is a little bit of an improvement for her because at first she required at least 3 bodies to date her.
Will the history books document that Native Black Americans/ADOS saved Western Democracy in 2020?
How so? Care to elaborate? ADOS have endured 400+ years of hate crimes and brutality and who received a hate crime bill?
Megan Fox at Universal Studios Hollywood with her children and MGK
I am actually surprised that at least two of the boys are wearing clothing that looks more boyish since they are normally seen in very...
Mom says she dont want to see us until we are vaccinated!
The flu is one of the leading causes of death worldwide and has been for centuries... but I don’t see people who don’t get flu shots being talked...
Anything Drake & His Hoes 2020
It's giving forced and we can 100% expect her to act up on Father's Day next month now that he's finally wished her a happy Mother's Day...
Chadwick Boseman dies at 43 after 4-year fight with colon cancer
I’ve been thinking about Chad’s mother today as we celebrate Mother’s Day. I can only imagine the hurt she’s feeling not being able to see or hear...
YOUTUBER Keesha Anderson - Thread 3
Did she say they already met some parents in the area??? Gorl wtf lmao
BLACK WOMEN ARE LOSING INTEREST IN BLACK MEN...
This is all I’m thinking. The worst part is he really thinks he’s is saying something. Lol a mess in the age of Tinder and bumble he should hop on...
Top Bottom