Quantcast

Why didn't Amerie become a superstar after "1 Thing"?

BetchWhet

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
1,583 9 6
Alleybux
Whatever the reason, 1 Thing is truly a great song. I like/love it more now than I did 10 years ago. Great production.

EvanReece

In These Streetz
Reaction score
Reactions
112,096 2,814 881
Alleybux
[video=youtube;cYCmv8sYBYw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYCmv8sYBYw[/video]

I always look at this video when I think of Amerie. When I first watched this years ago my eye was always on Rihanna and to this day it continues to be on her.

For some reason Amerie just didn't have "it".

This video always makes me mad as hell because Teairra had so much potential! :anger 512x512:

legs4dayz

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
8,108 346 217
Alleybux
Are we really acting like Ameriie isn't tone deaf? She is ALWAYS off key!

zam

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
13,274 359 81
Alleybux
2005? damn i was 6 when that song came out. don't even remember it, or her.

XOXODeDe

Let Me See Them Teeth
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
77,648 3,246 2,124
Alleybux
I really don't know! But, her first and last CD were EVERYTHING! Especially, "The Flowers," "Different People" and "Dear John" :cry 512x512:

I am thinking people acting like and believing we can only have 2-3 major singers in our R&B/Pop at the same time - and it's dumb. Plus, these stan wars - where people pick one artist over another.

We had Beyonce and Rihanna - and then Ashanti, Maya and Ciara (I guess) - but Amerie definitely deserves to be in the Top 5.

I love my fellow Libras Ashanti and Maya - but Amerie kills them in my opinion.

I was sad that she now does a YouTube channel - which I love! But, I want her in the studio. :down 128x128: I miss her.

Different People and Paint Me Over helped get me over my last breakup.

[video]https://youtu.be/0HKRKqixTvs[/video]

[video]https://youtu.be/kKGfRTwIU48[/video]

YANAS

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
100,845 2,130 227
Alleybux
It's blame Beyonce as to why Amerie didn't blow up? She had some cute songs but like everyone else said, there was no it factor and couldn't sing nor dance for sh!t. Same with Ashanti. Y'all just want to point the finger at Bey and her father like you always do.
Y

You can't even put Amerie in the same pot as Ashanti. Though I don't think she was the greatest artist, Ashanti broke records and her songs and CD's did numbers. I agree about the points made but Ashanti had a great run, especially with not being able to sing, dance, or it factor besides her goofy ass laugh & "it's bananas!" lol. I think Ashanti's biggest problem was the dismantling of Murder Inc. and the trouble they were in.

Amerie just wasn't cut out for the business.

Liz Gregory

Mrs. Reverend Doctor Reuben Gregory
Reaction score
Reactions
255,712 8,110 17,726
Alleybux
Real sh!t.

ALL of Amerie's albums have been quality.

Her look (and sound) was gorgeous and natural. Slim figure, no enhancements. Organic R&B.

Amerie was honestly refreshing as an artist because she didn't need the theatrics.

prima_dime

CARPE DIEM
Reaction score
Reactions
27,781 737 336
Alleybux
I still play "1 thing" to this day...the video was everything and I love the movie "Hitch" great date night movie....

liyahsluv23

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
84,893 2,116 1,477
Alleybux
When you have a song that big, with the push that Sony gave her at the time(she was everywhere) you're not a superstar...... She had the same machine (at the time) as Beyoncé, Jlo and Shakira who all took the ball and ran with it. Her second single after "1 thing" was the Lil Jon produced "Touch" which rhymes with Sucks.....

no she didn't. same label... different push/budget/promotion all together. Sony didn't believe in 1 Thing at all. JLo tried to strong arm it & Sony kept giving Bey priority. You can tell by the producer credits. 1 Thing was a runaway no one at the label understood except Amerie & Rich.

Same thing happened to those former JRecords artists when Alicia was King.

bloopthis

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
12,561 288 246
Alleybux
Amerie become my favorite female artist when 1 thing came out. Touch was the first album that i ever bought from an artist. Then she released that mixtape then added extra letters to her name it was hard to keep up.

She didn't become a superstar because she gave up more than anything or did not want it bad enough. I think she felt the industry was too cutthroat for her.

Why does everyone keep saying that Amerie didn't have the IT factor?? She definitely did. Does someone like Ed sheeran have an it factor or Taylor swift? Especially when they first came out ?i think not. Even in the beginning of rihanna's career , she didn't have an it factor , when SOS came out my friend dead ass said "why is she even trying , she's a one hit wonder." Can you believe that someone said that about Rihanna? smh Sometimes you can develop your it factor overtime .

Then you keep talking about Amerie's voice , is Jlo the greatest singer alive? nope, neither is Rihanna (who has gotten better over time), Britney spears or madonna. The thing that superstars all have in common is the drive , work ethic and persistence to achieve their ultimate goal of being a superstar. I guess talent also can help you sustain a good career. Having the greatest voice or being the greatest dancer isn't going to make you a music superstar , you just need work your ass off. And sometimes having the right people behind you can help as well. Form reading the comments sounds like she barely had anyone in the industry rooting for her.

That is why they say hard work beats talent.

Its funny that someone posted that destiny's child tribute with Rihanna , Tieara Marie and Amerie. Looking at their video you could say that career wise at that time seemed like the 3 girls were on the same level.

But then what happened ? Rihanna just kept on releasing music and never stopped. A lot of people don't know the sh!t Rihanna went through , I remember reading some interview from her manager about why she released an album every year. Her second album was basically self funded and I mean look at this cheap ass video from 2006 . Music of the sun was a hot ass mess.

[video]https://youtu.be/IXmF4GbA86E[/video]

I mean y'all are seriously trying to play amerie though. Out of the three here she sounded the best and had the most stage presence to me.
[video]https://youtu.be/cYCmv8sYBYw[/video]

I mean she tried y'all she tried , she just got tired.
[video]https://youtu.be/7VT6DzbeprA[/video]
[video]https://youtu.be/-CQraVpvSjo[/video]

The irony of this song and her music career
[video]https://youtu.be/ZA3n-KUe3j0[/video]

yvonned

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
24,418 781 1,693
Alleybux
no she didn't. same label... different push/budget/promotion all together. Sony didn't believe in 1 Thing at all. JLo tried to strong arm it & Sony kept giving Bey priority. You can tell by the producer credits. 1 Thing was a runaway no one at the label understood except Amerie & Rich.

Same thing happened to those former JRecords artists when Alicia was King.

How did Sony give Bey priority when they told her to she needed to re-record her album cause she had no hits? They only started really backing her after CIL became a hit. Even after that, she had to fund the recording of b-day and the videos herself so they wouldn't tell her what to do.

Touch to my knowledge didn't even sell 500k (I know it's certified gold) and the one before that sold 600k in 2002. People just weren't checking for music before and after 1 thing.

I wish LSA (not you specifically) would stop with the revisionist history, especially while quoting "tea."

HabeshasQueen

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
5,894 199 47
Alleybux
I like Amerie but she rubs me as someone who assumed her pretty would sell for her.
Her music was good but also boring in a sense, 1 thing was practically the only up beat song she had. Her voice was also annoying to me, IDK about anyone else but she screeches over top of beats.

Rihanna's beats always had that island flare, even umbrella stood out with the drums. Had Rihanna kept pushing out songs like unfaithful she probably would've lost appeal just like Amerie. Basically, she didn't have mainstream radio hits so, that's why she fizzled out.

Akimbo

Cheverly Remembrance Week: April 15-21
Solutions
Reaction score
Reactions
332,817 20,849 4,111
Alleybux
Because she can't sing and sometimes the world is just.

she's in the same folder as amel larrieux and goapele for me.
ethereal voices that you listen to while relaxing.
I feel personally offended on behalf of Amel and Goapele!
She looks ashy.
What happened to endthat pretty complexion she once had?
Probably the same thing that happened to the negro nose she once had.

miss chief

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
220,096 12,108 8,065
Alleybux
Amerie got dropped by Columbia because Beyonce/Matty had lotta power.

Amerie put out some shady record on a mixtape sneak dissing Bey around the time B'day came and they weren't having that. Obviously..

And not only was Rich Harrison stolen from Amerie- the songs CIL and Why Dont we Fall in Love both have the same melody in the verses and the video for CIL looks like the Why Dont we Fall in Love video (but better)

liyahsluv23

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
84,893 2,116 1,477
Alleybux
Bahahaha add "Check Up on It" and you have the most mediocre songs of the early 2000s.

Crazy in Love was Amerie's song & sound. these girls don't know much about the politics and nature of this business & the things Matty did looking out for his pockets. Amerie was around longer than her debut year. How was she on Nas' album in '01.?... cause she was a label mate at least since 2000.

ThePRGirl

No, I don’t care how mad you are. Seethe.
Reaction score
Reactions
139,825 3,313 1,883
Alleybux
She's boring...I mean as an entertainer, as singer, as a woman...in life, just complete snoozeville.

BUT, anyway, her and Columbia had a LOT of issues and they put some money behind her after "1Thing" and recommended that she follow up with another song off the album for the next single, but her and her team went with "Touch" Lil' Jon was so big at the time...and then I can't remember what happened after that. An acquaintance of mine worked urban promotion at Columbia for over 10 years.

But I'll tell y'all this, as much as Bey stans like to pretend sheer grit and talent got her where she is...it's simply not true and that's no shade against her, but there were a lot of behind-the-scenes things going on that frankly, I don't even feel comfortable spilling and this is 2nd-hand tea anyway. I'll tell you this: there ain't one superstar, alive or dead, who got there without some underhand/shifty sh!t happening, the industry is too much money to leave sh!t up to talent and hard work ONLY.

liyahsluv23

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
84,893 2,116 1,477
Alleybux
How did Sony give Bey priority when they told her to she needed to re-record her album cause she had no hits? They only started really backing her after CIL became a hit. Even after that, she had to fund the recording of b-day and the videos herself so they wouldn't tell her what to do.

Touch to my knowledge didn't even sell 500k (I know it's certified gold) and the one before that sold 600k in 2002. People just weren't checking for music before and after 1 thing.

I wish LSA (not you specifically) would stop with the revisionist history, especially while quoting "tea."

I wish people wouldn't insert opinion when it takes money for an artist to pop; period. & she didn't. She went back in an enlisted the help of Scott Storch (fresh off of making Aguilera a fcking mega star) & Rich (creating a new sound with his artist known as Amerie & fresh off of working with MJB)... her (Bey's) album first consisted of songs by Missy, Organize Noise boys & Destiny's Child sounding cuts ie that's how you like it????????, DIL... blah blah blah. Those singles we now know were the re-visions - trust Sony/Columbia recouped their investment. After that albums success, Matthew made certain she had top priority. Bday had the fcking Neptunes on it!!!! So how could she not have top billing? She might have had to fund her studio time, but the marketing and the push for all those singles at radio (she had 3 before Bday really took off with Irreplaceable) - you need label support & money. Her funding her videos was because she wanted a video for each song & that's her doing... no label is/was going to pay for that unless your name is Micheal Jackson, especially at that time.

One Thing got support because it led a movie & that was the push. Sony didn't understand Amerie as an artist at all so by the time you budget Bey's album, Jlo's bµllsh!t... your $ has to wash itself to recoup so the budget for an artist you don't understand is minimal in comparison. Touch as a song was cool but Crunk had died though, if it had come out with Freek-A-Leek & Goodies or Yeah - smash all over it. - it was the one song that didn't fit the flow of the work, as there's some real gems and musicality on Touch (the album).

The Voice

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
195,436 2,909 1,827
Alleybux
I actually liked Amerie. She was not about to be on the level of Beyoncé tho. Y'all stop :dead:

Liz Gregory

Reaction score
Reactions
255,712 8,110 17,726
Alleybux
Amerie become my favorite female artist when 1 thing came out. Touch was the first album that i ever bought from an artist. Then she released that mixtape then added extra letters to her name it was hard to keep up.

She didn't become a superstar because she gave up more than anything or did not want it bad enough. I think she felt the industry was too cutthroat for her.

Why does everyone keep saying that Amerie didn't have the IT factor?? She definitely did. Does someone like Ed sheeran have an it factor or Taylor swift? Especially when they first came out ?i think not. Even in the beginning of rihanna's career , she didn't have an it factor , when SOS came out my friend dead ass said "why is she even trying , she's a one hit wonder." Can you believe that someone said that about Rihanna? smh Sometimes you can develop your it factor overtime .

Then you keep talking about Amerie's voice , is Jlo the greatest singer alive? nope, neither is Rihanna (who has gotten better over time), Britney spears or madonna. The thing that superstars all have in common is the drive , work ethic and persistence to achieve their ultimate goal of being a superstar. I guess talent also can help you sustain a good career. Having the greatest voice or being the greatest dancer isn't going to make you a music superstar , you just need work your ass off. And sometimes having the right people behind you can help as well. Form reading the comments sounds like she barely had anyone in the industry rooting for her.

That is why they say hard work beats talent.

Its funny that someone posted that destiny's child tribute with Rihanna , Tieara Marie and Amerie. Looking at their video you could say that career wise at that time seemed like the 3 girls were on the same level.

But then what happened ? Rihanna just kept on releasing music and never stopped. A lot of people don't know the sh!t Rihanna went through , I remember reading some interview from her manager about why she released an album every year. Her second album was basically self funded and I mean look at this cheap ass video from 2006 . Music of the sun was a hot ass mess.

[video]https://youtu.be/IXmF4GbA86E[/video]

I mean y'all are seriously trying to play amerie though. Out of the three here she sounded the best and had the most stage presence to me.
[video]https://youtu.be/cYCmv8sYBYw[/video]

I mean she tried y'all she tried , she just got tired.
[video]https://youtu.be/7VT6DzbeprA[/video]
[video]https://youtu.be/-CQraVpvSjo[/video]

The irony of this song and her music career
[video]https://youtu.be/ZA3n-KUe3j0[/video]

In my opinion and in terms of beauty (natural aesthetics), dancing ability, and cool/organic R&B, Amerie and Mýa are the top 2.

liyahsluv23

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
84,893 2,116 1,477
Alleybux
She's boring...I mean as an entertainer, as singer, as a woman...in life, just complete snoozeville.

BUT, anyway, her and Columbia had a LOT of issues and they put some money behind her after "1Thing" and recommended that she follow up with another song off the album for the next single, but her and her team went with "Touch" Lil' Jon was so big at the time...and then I can't remember what happened after that. An acquaintance of mine worked urban promotion at Columbia for over 10 years.

But I'll tell y'all this, as much as Bey stans like to pretend sheer grit and talent got her where she is...it's simply not true and that's no shade against her, but there were a lot of behind-the-scenes things going on that frankly, I don't even feel comfortable spilling and this is 2nd-hand tea anyway. I'll tell you this: there ain't one superstar, alive or dead, who got there without some underhand/shifty sh!t happening, the industry is too much money to leave sh!t up to talent and hard work ONLY.

thank you. Matthew didn't some foul sh!t just like Barry & many others #Smokey. I'm certain some of what you heard, mirrors what I heard.

yvonned

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
24,418 781 1,693
Alleybux
Rich Harrison talking about the creation of CIL back in 2004, but LSA can keep on being delusional thinking Beyonce went and hijacked it from Amerie

"I remember when I first did the beat," Harrison said, "I played it for a lot of my buddies, as I normally do, and they couldn't dig it. But that's when I knew I had something special," he laughed. "Sometimes people need to hear the whole record."Harrison sampled the old soul track long before he met up with Beyoncé. Armed with a sound so full of blaring fanfare, he knew almost immediately that he had something hot on his hands. He also knew he had to wait for the right artist to bring it to.
"Yeah, I had it in the chamber," he said. "I hadn't really shopped it much, because sometimes you don't want to come out of the bag before it's right. People don't really get it and you'll leave them with a foul taste in their mouth. So it was just something that I held on to until I got the call from B."

"From her face, she was kind of like, 'I don't know, but I'mma ride with you anyway,' " he remembered. "I knew I was going to have to sell it a little bit, because when it comes on it doesn't sound like anything that was being done at the time."

Beyoncé warmed up to the sample and then said something that, in his wildest dreams, Harrison would have never imagined, nor would he want to: "I love the idea," he recalled Beyoncé saying. "Now write the song. I'll be back in two hours."

Unpleasant reminders of the night before notwithstanding, Harrison stepped up and wrote the verses and the hook, leaving the bridge for Beyoncé. He wound up playing all the instruments on the track, too.

Liz Gregory

Reaction score
Reactions
255,712 8,110 17,726
Alleybux
thank you. Matthew didn't some foul sh!t just like Barry & many others #Smokey. I'm certain some of what you heard, mirrors what I heard.

I love Beyoncé as a performer but as someone with common sense, business sense, and street sense, it was incredibly obvious that Destiny's Child was created for the sole purpose of birthing her solo career. The ins and outs that were manipulated and maneuvered to get her to where she is are no secrets.

liyahsluv23

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
84,893 2,116 1,477
Alleybux

Amerie put out some shady record on a mixtape sneak dissing Bey around the time B'day came and they weren't having that. Obviously..

And not only was Rich Harrison stolen from Amerie- the songs CIL and Why Dont we Fall in Love both have the same melody in the verses and the video for CIL looks like the Why Dont we Fall in Love video (but better)

the diss was Bey using her phrasing and sound on B'day intentionally. there was drama at the label as was said - & you can hear Amerie all thru out Freek Um & Green Light... that was the final straw. Matty definitely strong armed & played his position in positioning his investment at the top - even at the sacrifice of the other girls in her group (ie poor Kelly). She (Amerie) dissed bey after B'day was released.

columbia (again didn't know what to do with Because I Love It) & they parted ways despite a limited release. I have the album. It's cool and different like Kelis' Wanderland was different.

KelsieDefens

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
237,572 8,641 8,510
Alleybux
Crazy in Love was Amerie's song & sound. these girls don't know much about the politics and nature of this business & the things Matty did looking out for his pockets. Amerie was around longer than her debut year. How was she on Nas' album in '01.?... cause she was a label mate at least since 2000.

Beyonce was lead singer in a record breaking girl group. She got opportunity AFTER she sold records. A Gold album and top 40 from Amerie wasnt pushing major success/priority in 2000-2002.

Where's the proof that Amerie was getting ready to release CIL in 2002? Rich said he had it in the vault and filled in the lyrics when Bey asked?

KelsieDefens

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
237,572 8,641 8,510
Alleybux
People LOVE using Beyonce's daddy as the reason for her success.

The majority of artists have a parent or family member managing them.

Alot of artists fµck their manager/collaborator. Weren't Amerie and Rich engaged?

Label heads and executives were known to prioritize their fave artists while blocking others. The majority of LSA's faves. :dead:

yvonned

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
24,418 781 1,693
Alleybux
Beyonce was lead singer in a record breaking girl group. She got opportunity AFTER she sold records. A Gold album and top 40 from Amerie wasnt pushing major success/priority in 2000-2002.

Where's the proof that Amerie was getting ready to release CIL in 2002? Rich said he had it in the vault and filled in the lyrics when Bey asked?[/QUOTE]

According to LSA tea and second hand music knowledge, the all powerful Mathew and Beyonce paid and/or threatened Rich to say that :disdain:

I don't know who they're trying to convince with their posts in here. Amerie struggled to SELL 500k with Touch despite 1 thing being a top 10 hit. To put it into perspective, she sold 150k more than DIL opened with, after CIL was released, during Touch's entire run on the charts!

Reaction score
Reactions
2,818 116 97
Alleybux
I actually could give a Fxx less about that amerie can't sing live, because I just found out that JLO didn't sing most of her own hits....like other artists recorded that for her....I feel like.....There's another reason...lmao

Amerie did kill a chicken lmao

Liz Gregory

Reaction score
Reactions
255,712 8,110 17,726
Alleybux
Beyoncé's sales are being brought up? Why? Rational people know that her stardom and sales are unbalanced.

PutaPorFavor

DA BADDESTTTTTT PUTA
Reaction score
Reactions
58,177 2,102 1,117
Alleybux
What record / mixtape?
Somebody link please!

KelsieDefens

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
237,572 8,641 8,510
Alleybux

Where's the proof that Amerie was getting ready to release CIL in 2002? Rich said he had it in the vault and filled in the lyrics when Bey asked?[/QUOTE]

According to LSA tea and second hand music knowledge, the all powerful Mathew and Beyonce paid and/or threatened Rich to say that :disdain:

I don't know who they're trying to convince with their posts in here. Amerie struggled to SELL 500k with Touch despite 1 thing being a top 10 hit. To put it into perspective, she sold 150k more than DIL opened with, after CIL was released, during Touch's entire run on the charts!

The top 5 in the 2000s were Beyonce, Ashanti, Alicia, Ciara and later down the line, Rihanna.

Those were black women who had Platinum albums and multiple top 10s in a single year at least.

They thought Sony was giving Amerie a huge budget cause Paradise went #36?

CIL was going to be a bigger hit with Amerie? Even after Rich said he couldnt find anyone who agreed with the song at the time?

PutaPorFavor

DA BADDESTTTTTT PUTA
Reaction score
Reactions
58,177 2,102 1,117
Alleybux
Nope. When I saw her, I just thought she was pretty... & I hated all her songs except "Talking to Me" and "Touch".

THIS...

No young girl watching her videos wanted to be her. Her style was basic at best in the video, her hair was just there, etc