Quantcast

Why do black women subscribe to feminism?

Ataraxic

Team Owner
Solutions
Reaction score
Reactions
131,799 3,639 1,430
Alleybux
Some black women are tired of dual oppression. The same system that says it’s ok to be racist against black people, also says how women should behave.

MissMoon

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
11,691 120 21
Alleybux
Are Black women supposed to ignore the fact that we are women and focus only on race? Black men are able to focus only on race but we are not. I mean some black women choose to focus only on race and they have a very "black men before women and children" mindset, too.

Anyway I'm not going to ignore the fact that I've dealt with sexism in my life and that it's sadly come from black men. Nor am I naive enough to believe that in some all black nation that black men wouldn't want to enact their own patriarchy.

Blaqbeauty

Follow the yellow brick road
Reaction score
Reactions
19,315 1,638 289
Alleybux
Any Black woman would have to be a fool to think feminism is not important. Domestic violence, marital rape, child support, spousal support, alimony, maternity leave, reproductive rights, divorce, right to work outside the home, right to vote, right to get an education, Female genital mulitation, child marriage, etc. All of the advances women have around the world is because of feminism.

Last edited:

DTective Russell

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
8,301 2,237 4,831
Alleybux
Y'all get on my nerves. Black women deal with lots of issues that are exclusive to us(Dosmetic violence, maternal care etc) that needs addressing stop lumping mainstream feminism with every thing there's still quality content out there
How is DV exclusive to Black women?

stormyweather

Rookie
Reaction score
Reactions
214 9 1
Alleybux
Why aren't black women allowed to focus on ourselves.. Why do we have to focus on the community. This is part of the problem.

We can focus on ourselves but many of us are mothers so we have to focus on our children as well. This also leads to focusing on our community at large because we want our children to have a safe, supporting and nurturing environment. In my college days as a woman without kids my brothers referred to me as a radical feminist. I owned that title with pride. However, there was an awareness that my concerns about my rights and experiences were not just about my gender. Race was also important!. My white feminist colleagues could not understand my POV and by my senior year l began to see myself more as a womanist even without a child. I respect feminism but at least during my generation there was not any focus on the race/ethnicity.

blaxunity

MVP
Reaction score
Reactions
1,065 656 1,597
Alleybux
Yes I agree. But are you saying that black women becoming feminism destroyed the black community or white feminist?
See, that was one thing that I liked about being a Jehovah Wittiness, they didn’t play all that feminist shyt! They had clearly defined roles and the man was the head leader, protector and provider for his family!

Aryabreelove

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
339 7 5
Alleybux
Do a little research into how black women are treated by black men today across the globe and then do a little historic research into the treatment of African women by African men pre-colonialism. Patriarchy isn’t a white male invention it’s a MALE invention.
And post colonialism. Being killed left right and centre and the men saying you don't understand how it feels when a woman cheats same men who believe their cheating isn't as bad. And also white women am seeing have never had it as bad as black women. Their men seem to have left patriarchy behind faster in that they somehow still protected them and even now, do so much so they even protect them against other women bw on the other hand can't say that.

Aryabreelove

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
339 7 5
Alleybux
Sorry, that's wrong. Every culture in the world has treated women as inferior. Women deal with violence, rape, being sold off to men against their will (arranged marriages), laws preventing them from voting, driving cars, getting an education. Racism has nothing to do with it!!!l Also have you heard of genital mutilation done to little girls in Africa?

I think you need to educate yourself, cause you're sounding like someone who is a Black male apologist. Women getting jobs and making their own money and wanting to be treated equally and fairly did not force black men to walk out on their responsibilities as husbands and fathers. What that is is called male fragility. Not being able to handle women rising to the same level as them is an ego problem that they need to deal with an stop blaming everyone else for it!!!
And not wanting a partner but a puppet, that's why we are the only race in the world where women expire at 30. Now a Kenyan guy named Andrew Kibe has declared 26year old women old.

The thing of saying the system made black people this way financially, may be true but who's leading people in Africa? I say as a people we need to be more family oriented but not in a one sided way of putting it on women, if anything father's need to learn from the fathers of the 60s 70s 80s 90s and some of our good parents, and have compassion for women while at it because our community is a mess and I can say the guys are failing and I think it's because there is a general lacklusterness in providing and taking it as punishment . See how a woman can't run away from responsibility once she gives birth should be the same for a man in providing. But our community they even believe marriage is a government plot against them can you imagine. So without value in family why work hard? And in turn because a man is his purpose and bettering the world we are left with the extreme aggression because they can't put it on the other men. I still think they used to only provide government assistance for homes without a man because they knew a man should be out working hard, added to whatever agenda they had

Shutder00

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
37,815 3,856 5,437
Alleybux
Any Black woman would have to be a fool to think feminism is not important. Domestic violence, marital rape, child support, spousal support, alimony, maternity leave, reproductive rights, divorce, right to work outside the home, right to vote, right to get an education, Female genital mulitation, child marriage, etc. All of the advances women have around the world is because of feminism.
1. Child marriage has nothing to do with feminism, feminism is for women
2. Having bad taste in men is your fault, not mens fault
3. I am American and can not speak up for issues relating to other cultures such as genital mutilation. It is wrong, but for all I know it is women encouraging the practice.
4. I don't believe the other laws concerning divorce and dividing assets have to do with inequality.

Feminisms fatal flaw is trying to use a "one-size fits all approach". Men can never be an issue just for being men like it so often implies.