Quantcast

Why do older black women wear fake looking wigs??

Bubblyflute

Verified black
Reaction score
Reactions
159,185 7,026 3,410
Alleybux
Although there are many realistic looking wigs, so many older black women get very fake looking ones. Why is that. This isn't shade. But when I see Gayle King and Maxine Waters with fake looking wigs I cringe.

Do they not care if it looks fake or do they feel like it looks real?

Stormy_Weather

“You Bit**es Ain’t Humble Enough”
Reaction score
Reactions
478,298 8,521 2,296
Alleybux
They don’t care. In their day, wigs were obviously wigs. Besides, they don’t have the patience to get their wigs laid. They want something they can slap on and snatch off when them hot flashes hit

Mulberry

I don't interact with new fonts. 365 day minimum.
Reaction score
Reactions
153,605 5,550 2,401
Alleybux
I think some people like for their "enhancements" to have a fake look to it -- be it hair, teeth, whatever.

A lot of women from that generation seem to like their wigs to look like wigs. It seems to cross racial divides. Marie Osmond, for example. There's probably some kind of appeal that those of us who are younger don't get -- some kind of glamour to them that is within the same realm as a red lip.

ADH

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
30,891 1,133 1,055
Alleybux
Dont be coming for all of our aunties like that..lmao. I've wondered it too and from what I see they like those wigs because those are the ones that they are used to and they think they only look good in those kind of wigs. You got to think..they came up wearing those kind of wigs cause that's all they know how to style and they think the newer wigs look too unlike them , and too flashy...I swear I've seen it with my own eyes lol.

jheri

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
86,678 11,987 332
Alleybux
perhaps they like styles that were popular during their time or styles they saw on older ladies back then.

Oprah-Gayle-King-Friendship-Pictures.jpg

36018DE100000578-3677198-image-m-39_1467817472179.jpg

gayle_a.jpg

i'm guessing this is a feathered look she prefers?

5f36f0f5353d375182239e7c_o_U_v2.jpg

gayle-king-0214201.jpg

Bjxxxx

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
60,859 1,064 802
Alleybux
Although there are many realistic looking wigs, so many older black women get very fake looking ones. Why is that. This isn't shade. But when I see Gayle King and Maxine Waters with fake looking wigs I cringe.

They are like...
upload_2020-11-16_0-29-38.jpeg

kkforya

I don’t play fair ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Reactions
64,876 559 109
Alleybux
I honestly think I’d run away screaming if I ever saw my gammy or her friends in one of those *melted lace, seamless stocking cap method* type wigs

Like :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Let them stick to their Vivica A. Fox & BSS units that they’re used to :LOL:

GelilaBekele

Tyler Perry’s Babymama (Formerly Nina Lovehall)
Reaction score
Reactions
94,231 3,808 718
Alleybux
My mom has money but she will not spend it on a wig. You’re not getting more than $40 for a wig. Also she wants to alternate between her wigs and they are all gonna cost $40 each. The new one is the “good wig”. The others are to run to the store.

My mom would pass out if I told her how much I spend annually on hair.

spoiledwater

Proud Elder Millennial
Reaction score
Reactions
539,734 16,181 6,462
Alleybux

maxinewaters-1541604401.gif

O.o

Black Women Disproportionately @ Risk For Homicide
Reaction score
Reactions
401,375 11,864 9,185
Alleybux

Why are there threads made attacking Black women every fcking day?

if you have a problem or question about somebody's hair or wig you need to ask that person directly because we don't have the f****** answers.

And how can you be sure that these women are even wearing wigs? Are you with them when they get dressed in the mornings?

And if they do wear wigs how do you know it's not because they have a medical problem? Like they're going through chemotherapy or radiation treatment?
4 things you need to know about 'misogynoir'

Why you need to know what 'misogynoir' means right now

lead-img-misogynoir-black-women-sexism-racism.jpg

IMAGE: VICKY LETA / MASHABLE
BY REBECCA RUIZAPR 07, 2020
uploads%252Fcard%252Fimage%252F1386016%252F9393c1a0-4b49-43fd-8472-b2d0a606ef70.png%252Ffit-in__1440x0.png

Moving forward requires focus. Mashable's Social Good Series is dedicated to exploring pathways to a greater good, spotlighting issues that are essential to making the world a better place.

Even if you're unfamiliar with the term misogynoir, which is anti-black misogyny that specifically targets black women, you've likely seen it in action or experienced it firsthand.

When, for example, President Trump recently spoke at two separate press conferences and harshly singled out Yamiche Alcindor, a White House correspondent for PBS NewsHour who is black, critics argued that his treatment of the journalist amounted to misogynoir. Trump called her questions "nasty" and lectured her to, "Be nice. Don’t be threatening. Don’t be threatening."

NEXT STORY: Why suicide risk may increase as we cope with COVID-19

"I’m not the first human being, woman, black person or journalist to be told that while doing a job," Alcindor tweeted in response.

Of course, Trump attacks anyone who challenges him, though he seems to reserve special ire for black women (see Rep. Maxine Waters, Sen. Kamala Harris, Rep. Frederica Wilson).

"It's such a specific denigration of black women, not other women of color, not black men."
Moya Bailey, an assistant professor of cultures, societies, and global studies and women's, gender, and sexuality studies at Northeastern University, coined the term misogynoir in 2008 to describe such contempt. The history of misogynoir in the United States stretches back centuries, says Bailey.

In 2008, while writing her dissertation on racism in medicine and reviewing medical school yearbooks and textbooks from the 1910s, Bailey noticed several jokes about black women as patients. They seemed designed to put nervous doctors at ease by invoking stereotypes of black women as xes workers, hypersexual, or unintelligent.

"It's such a specific denigration of black women, not other women of color, not black men," says Bailey. "So I started to think about that and landed on misogynoir as a way to talk about anti-blackness and misogyny that black women experience simultaneously."

Where does misogynoir come from?
Bailey traced the concept back to slavery, when portrayals of black women as overtly xesual and promiscuous were used to justify their rape. The post-slavery emergence of the ***** stereotype, which Bailey says cast black women as "asexual, fat, and undesirable," was used to make black women seem less threatening to white relationships.

In the 1920s, the angry black woman and Sapphire caricatures functioned as a way to berate black men as lazy and shiftless. Now, the modern stereotype of the strong black woman, who is empowered but never vulnerable, has a more positive connotation, it still robs black women of their full humanity, says Bailey.

Misogynoir surfaces frequently in pop culture and politics. When Bailey first began exploring the idea, she saw it in the way Michelle Obama was sometimes likened to a monkey and how Serena Williams was criticized for her behavior on the tennis court. Bailey recalls how Quvenzhané Wallis, a 9-year-old black actress nominated for an Oscar in 2013, was called the c-word by The Onion in a tweet that was meant to be a joke.

SEE ALSO: Clever 'remix' of book on history of racism is essential reading for teens

"That’s not the way you’d talk about a white girl child," says Bailey. "There are all of these ways that black women in public have been demonized and vilified for just existing."

Why does misogynoir matter?
Misogynoir is not only offensive and hurtful — it's also often harmful. Bailey says that such attitudes toward black women may be linked to poor health, social, and economic outcomes.

The maternal mortality rate for black women and their infants is much higher than for white women and their babies, even when income and education are taken into account. The disparities suggest that structural racism and sexism costs play a significant role in how black women are treated by medical professionals, and may determine whether they live or die.

Black women are disproportionately evicted from their homes and face unfair eviction screening practices, trends that Bailey argues reflect misogynoir in practice.

Bailey says that representations of black women as hypersexual or xes workers can put them in danger when strangers, or even acquaintances or friends, approach them with innuendo, xesual advances, or aggressive behavior.

How do I know when misogynoir is occurring?
Bailey has a simple test for spotting misogynoir: "If you can't replace the person being targeted with a woman of another race or someone of another gender, you know misogynoir is in play."

In the case of journalist Yamiche Alcindor, skeptics have pointed to Trump's habit of attacking journalists of all backgrounds as evidence that he's an equal opportunity bully. Even if you're not convinced by claims of misoygnoir, in this instance or other scenarios, the point is to recognize the role race and gender play instead of avoiding that to minimize or ignore harm done to the person targeted.

"Internalized misogynoir can happen to anyone."
Bailey also says it's possible for anyone, regardless of their race or gender, to perpetuate racism and sexism designed to undermine and shame black women. So, yes, Bailey says that videos made by black rappers that feature black women as strippers and xes workers do traffic in misogynoir. (As an undergraduate student, in 2004, she protested an appearance by the rapper Nelly at Spelman College because of his "Tip Drill" video and lyrics, which portrayed black women as hypersexual.)

"Internalized misogynoir can happen to anyone," says Bailey. "Don’t assume it’s only white people or men creating the damaging images."

What can I do to stop misogynoir?
Bailey says that media literacy is the key to identifying and stopping misogynoir. That means understanding that media representations — including images, cartoons, television, and videos —aren't neutral or objective. Visual portrayals of black women, in particular, are rooted in stereotypes about race and xes.

"Part of this is getting people to think more critically about what it is they're consuming," she says.

For portrayals that grant black women their full humanity, flaws and all, Bailey says she often looks to queer creators like musician Janelle Monae, performer Juliana Huxtable, and rapper Tierra Whack. She also recommends shows like the FX series Pose and the web series 195 Lewis.

"This idea that black people, black women specifically, are just one frame, one dimensional, is something that has existed for awhile," she says. "I'm seeing more opportunities for black women to exist in all of the ways that they do."

TOPICS: ACTIVISM, AFRICAN AMERICAN, GENDER EQUALITY, IDENTITIES, RACISM, SOCIAL GOOD, WOMEN

Mediated Misogynoir: Intersecting Race and Gender in Online Harassment

Mediated Misogynoir: Intersecting Race and Gender in Online Harassment

Read first chapter

Authors: Stephanie Madden, Melissa Janoske, Rowena Briones Winkler, Amanda Nell Edgar

Publisher: Springer International Publishing

Published in: Mediating Misogyny
» Get access to the full-text
Abstract
Madden, Janoske, Winkler, and Edgar offer an exploration of the concept of mediated misogynoir, or anti-Black misogyny. Focusing on the online harassment of Black actress and comedian Leslie Jones, the chapter explores how online harassment faced by Black women is recognized and processed by online blog-based communities through a qualitative content analysis of the comment sections on eight U.S. blogs and media outlets. Commenting on the blog posts was a way for people to present themselves as different from racist and/or misogynistic commenters. Furthermore, many shared personal experiences of online abuse highlight the extent of the problem. Personal narratives can help humanize the impacts of online harassment, elucidating how these intersections are recognized and processed to improve online communities for everyone.

Misogynoir Transformed
Black Women’s Digital Resistance
Series: Intersections, 18

New York University Press
|

9781479803392.jpg

Where racism and sexism meet—an understanding of anti-Black misogyny

When Moya Bailey first coined the term misogynoir, she defined it as the ways anti-Black and misogynistic representation shape broader ideas about Black women, particularly in visual culture and digital spaces. She had no idea that the term would go viral, touching a cultural nerve and quickly entering into the lexicon. Misogynoir now has its own Wikipedia page and hashtag, and has been featured on Comedy Central’s The Daily Show and CNN’s Cuomo Prime Time. In Misogynoir Transformed, Bailey delves into her groundbreaking concept, highlighting Black women’s digital resistance to anti-Black misogyny on YouTube, Facebook, Tumblr, and other platforms.

At a time when Black women are depicted as more ugly, deficient, hypersexual, and unhealthy than their non-Black counterparts, Bailey explores how Black women have bravely used social-media platforms to confront misogynoir in a number of courageous—and, most importantly, effective—ways. Focusing on queer and trans Black women, she shows us the importance of carving out digital spaces, where communities are built around queer Black webshows and hashtags like #GirlsLikeUs.

Bailey shows how Black women actively reimagine the world by engaging in powerful forms of digital resistance at a time when anti-Black misogyny is thriving on social media. A groundbreaking work, Misogynoir Transformed highlights Black women’s remarkable efforts to disrupt mainstream narratives, subvert negative stereotypes, and reclaim their lives.

AUTHOR INFORMATION
BaileyMoya:
Moya Bailey is Assistant Professor in the Department of Cultures, Societies, and Global Studies and the program in Women's, Gender, and Sexuality Studies at Northeastern University. She is the digital alchemist for the Octavia E. Butler Legacy Network and an MLK Visiting Scholar at MIT.Moya Bailey is Assistant Professor in the Department of Cultures, Societies, and Global Studies and the program in Women's, Gender, and Sexuality Studies at Northeastern University. She is the digital alchemist for the Octavia E. Butler Legacy Network and an MLK Visiting Scholar at MIT.

ADH

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
30,891 1,133 1,055
Alleybux
A flip to this is me..I was a teen in the 90s and none of the wigs back then looked good so as a young person you would not be caught dead wearing one. only celebrities had decent wigs and weaves. So until this day I fee a certain way about wearing wigs I tried one once ..I personally just cant do it ..it just feel like everybody looking at it or something lol idk maybe it's just me. It's just a stigma I have about wigs ..unless of course you need to wear one

O.o

Reaction score
Reactions
401,375 11,864 9,185
Alleybux
A thread was just made yesterday about black women staying on code and how we need to quit questioning black women hair choices and here we go again.
90% of these people are not any kind of Black person let alone a Black woman.

When a person makes a thread like this they're making it pretty obvious who and what the f*** they stand for. We just need a Black woman hate megathread so that they can post to their hearts content about all the s*** they hate about Black women, instead of making a new thread every f****** day

Last edited:

ADH

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
30,891 1,133 1,055
Alleybux
A flip to this is me..I was a teen in the 90s and none of the wigs back then looked good so as a young person you would not be caught dead wearing one. only celebrities had decent wigs and weaves. So until this day I fee a certain way about wearing wigs I tried one once ..I personally just cant do it ..it just feel like everybody looking at it or something lol idk maybe it's just me. It's just a stigma I have about wigs ..unless of course you need to wear one. I've always just proffered a sew in

O.o

Reaction score
Reactions
401,375 11,864 9,185
Alleybux

C6ZgcnDWUAABEoK
Why the fck do you assume Maxine Waters is wearing a wig????

She clearly has always had a head full of thick hair.

If you don't know anything about Black women, please don't assume.

CuuntyAunty

I can’t teach you my magic…
Reaction score
Reactions
101,987 5,083 2,954
Alleybux

Leave aunty nem alone!! :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Bubblyflute

Verified black
Reaction score
Reactions
159,185 7,026 3,410
Alleybux
Same reason older yt women do.

I think some people like for their "enhancements" to have a fake look to it -- be it hair, teeth, whatever.

A lot of women from that generation seem to like their wigs to look like wigs. It seems to cross racial divides. Marie Osmond, for example. There's probably some kind of appeal that those of us who are younger don't get -- some kind of glamour to them that is within the same realm as a red lip.
I do agree it is not just older black women. The stereotype of the blue haired white woman is true too.

collegegal1997

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
96,355 1,820 449
Alleybux
lol that's my grandma.. But, my GMA can care less. Most elders REFUSE to send mortgages payments on wigs/lace fronts/weaves.

Honestly, I've seen more elder with proper wigs/hair than younger girls... with their exaggerated/unnecessary baby hairs..

Last edited:

Mencha

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
83,925 3,011 1,162
Alleybux
Here is the thing, a lot of women of all races hair starts thinning in their 40s due to hormonal changes. So they feel wigs are the way to go.

Secondly, most people who wear wigs aren't trying to act like it is their own hair. No one thinks that. Even non-black people now know a lot of them wear extensions. Yes it is closer to their hair type but still a wig or extension is still what it is.

Lastly and this is the thing that most women ask themselves... DO I LOOK CUTE? Yes it might not be real but do I look cute and for the most part they do. Which is why they wear them.

I also agree it would be weird for women in their late 50s and 60s walking around with baby hair wigs on.

IrisOsiris

Last friday night
Reaction score
Reactions
101,863 3,302 3,198
Alleybux

...for the same reasons why younger black women do? they don't care that it looks like a wig because...wigs are gonna look like wigs MOST of the time?????
(i hope you're not under the impression that these stupid lace fronts these girls wear actually look realistic. because if you're one of those women who think that giveaway hair part straight down the middle of your head with the lace visible at the forehead looks convincing...then i hate to shatter your delusions, but IRL NONE of these lace fronts look like they could actually be these womens' real hair. I'm so tired of lace fronts i want ALLLLLLLLL them fake ass looking motherfuckas to BURNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!)

200w.gif

ok. i'm done. end rant.

Boobie Miles

No. 35 Magic Mojo Man
Reaction score
Reactions
64,789 492 175
Alleybux
Y’all be melting the lace and getting HD lace only for it to still look fake. Y’all just got glue on your forehead and they don’t