Quantcast

Why Doja Cat get a pass to be a Nicki Minaj clone but Normani doesn't with Bey?

TGSHeaux

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
32,126 2,641 2,419
Alleybux
No shade or anything just had a thought. Can Beyoncé do a split? But back to the topic at hand. I never though of Normani as a Beyoncé clone. I see similar formula in Doja and nick but they are different.

kellyrose02

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
20,806 948 919
Alleybux
Thank you. It was the same reason why i couldn't get into her music like that. Nobody can deny how heavy the Nicki's influence is on Doja's work. From the fashion to how she structure her songs (balancing the sing and rap,) and how she animate her rapping delivery. Ofcourse, Doja Cat has some lil thing that distinguishes her from Nicki Minaj, like the cat earing, who's like her signature now. She has her own quirky style, and i'm not sure how to describe her voice when she raps. It's almost raspy(?) While Nicki's voice's voice is sometimes is deep, sometimes she switch to a very lil girly voice, and there is roman (listen to Nicki's part on Monster to hear what i'm talking about). Well, both them have a very animated voice. And i'm not even coming for Doja, i actually like her. But since people are coming for Normani for just having a lil resemblance to Beyoncé but let Doja getting a pass who's influenced by a woman who's still very relevant, i just want to know why is that...
Please explain to me what is distinct about Normani. A split? Everything from her brand right now is mimicking Beyoncé’s, especially when we talk about performance.

Doja Cat is similar to Nicki but has carved out her own lane over time, which is why nobody compares to the two like that anymore unlike Beyoncé and Normani.

ANTIUSERNAME

Team Owner
Benched
Reaction score
Reactions
127,619 11,232 14,342
Alleybux
Please explain to me what is distinct about Normani. A split? Everything from her brand right now is mimicking Beyoncé’s, especially when we talk about performance.

Doja Cat is similar to Nicki but has carved out her own lane over time, which is why nobody compares to the two like that anymore unlike Beyoncé and Normani.
The split is already enough because Beyoncé isn't doing this. And their choreography aren't the same. What is so distinctly "Beyoncé" about Beyoncé's performances ?? Because everything she's doing on stage, the likes of Tina Turner, MJ and Janet were already doing it

kellyrose02

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
20,806 948 919
Alleybux
The split is already enough because Beyoncé isn't doing this. And their choreography aren't the same. What is so distinctly "Beyoncé" about Beyoncé's performances ?? Because everything she's doing on stage, the likes of Tina Turner, MJ and Janet were already doing it
A split is not enough if everything else is very similar and the fact that you can’t give me anything other than a split supports my point. As for what’s similar, the sparkly full piece bodysuits, the wavy curls, the waiting for the crowd with putting the mic out, the standing stance with the arm on the hip ( she has a very Sasha Fierce presence on stage), dancing with the band and guitarist on stage, I believe all female band, etc. Her choreography and how the staging is done is very similar to Beyoncé’s (she also uses a lot of Beyoncé’s people with being under RN) but just a little more advanced since she is more a dancer than a singer, especially with how she utilizes dance breaks. Her persona otherwise is exactly the same with touches of nostalgia in there.

The problem isn’t Normani being inspired by someone and taking pieces. The issue is she is copying stuff with no identity on her own. When she formulates a brand outside of that, then we separating the two will make sense but she hasn’t done that yet. Britney is known for split and acrobatic moves if we want to use that Tina Turner and MJ argument and again, Beyoncé used what she learned from them and made it her own. Normani hasn’t done that yet.

Kessiah

Carefree vibes
Reaction score
Reactions
7,694 675 749
Alleybux
The only reason I'm here is to say Yall Nicki stans need to retire already. Doja is one of a kind, bomb and prominent. Sis cannot be cancelled, duplicated or imitated.

Sallie Blair

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
449,319 14,181 6,597
Alleybux
Doja reminds me of nothing about Nicki Minaj. Doja is a troll rapper, whose quirkiness is very white pop star. Nicki is very much a rapper from NYC.

ANTIUSERNAME

Team Owner
Benched
Reaction score
Reactions
127,619 11,232 14,342
Alleybux
A split is not enough if everything else is very similar and the fact that you can’t give me anything other than a split supports my point. As for what’s similar, the sparkly full piece bodysuits, the wavy curls, the waiting for the crowd with putting the mic out, the standing stance with the arm on the hip ( she has a very Sasha Fierce presence on stage), dancing with the band and guitarist on stage, I believe all female band, etc. Her choreography and how the staging is done is very similar to Beyoncé’s (she also uses a lot of Beyoncé’s people with being under RN) but just a little more advanced since she is more a dancer than a singer, especially with how she utilizes dance breaks. Her persona otherwise is exactly the same with touches of nostalgia in there.

The problem isn’t Normani being inspired by someone and taking pieces. The issue is she is copying stuff with no identity on her own. When she formulates a brand outside of that, then we separating the two will make sense but she hasn’t done that yet. Britney is known for split and acrobatic moves if we want to use that Tina Turner and MJ argument and again, Beyoncé used what she learned from them and made it her own. Normani hasn’t done that yet.
Beyoncé wasn't the first female artist doing all of what you mentioned in the bolded.

The Sparkly Bodysuit was already worn by several Female performers before Beyoncé, from Diana Ross to Cher in the 60-70s.
Same for the Wavy curls, like I know Beyoncé wear the same tired ass wig ever since she debuted, but the wavy curls, she didn't create that look.
Same for the waiting for the crowd. I remember MJ used to this a lot.
And the Standing stance with the arm on the hip was actually from Janet Jackson.
And Beyoncé isn't the only artist to dance with their bands.
Chile you Beyoncé's stans need to watch other artists and cultivate yourself a bit more.
And the previous point you made was pure nonsense. Beyoncé wasn't this versatile artist until the Self-titled album.

CarmenJonesGal

Team Owner
Solutions
Reaction score
Reactions
367,532 10,220 2,157
Alleybux
I'm saying it. Let's be honest. She's taking Nicki Minaj's lane. She's rap but pop at the same time. She's a great rapper compare to the rest of the new rap girls she debuted with but i don't think she has anything on Nicki
Go to sleep, Wig! It’s late in Atlanta

babyivemissedu

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
14,403 911 905
Alleybux
How is Normani trying to be Beyonce? Y’all think that every black woman that can sing and dance well is trying to be Beyonce. Beyoncé isn’t the only talented black woman in the world. Give it a rest.

as for Doja, she already said that Nicki inspires her. But their personalities and voices are different.
agree but Normani sing well?

Mari Jiwe

returnofthelion
Reaction score
Reactions
70,987 2,857 1,965
Alleybux

Sparkly body suits and dancing with the guitarist dates back to the 1960s lmao.

kellyrose02

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
20,806 948 919
Alleybux
Beyoncé wasn't the first female artist doing all of what you mentioned in the bolded.

The Sparkly Bodysuit was already worn by several Female performers before Beyoncé, from Diana Ross to Cher in the 60-70s.
Same for the Wavy curls, like I know Beyoncé wear the same tired ass wig ever since she debuted, but the wavy curls, she didn't create that look.
Same for the waiting for the crowd. I remember MJ used to this a lot.
And the Standing stance with the arm on the hip was actually from Janet Jackson.
And Beyoncé isn't the only artist to dance with their bands.
Chile you Beyoncé's stans need to watch other artists and cultivate yourself a bit more.
And the previous point you made was pure nonsense. Beyoncé wasn't this versatile artist until the Self-titled album.
Beyoncé is most known for it currently, still very relevant, and it is very much attached to her brand. What other artist is doing that consistently and known for it? J-Lo lol? You bringing up it was inspired by past artists means nothing when it’s widely recognized as Beyoncé’s performance style today. Stop acting obtuse for the sake of needing to make a point. And like I said, if we are going to use your argument: Normani got her acrobatic, split moves from Britney. So again what makes her distinct? I’ll wait.

What you are saying about versatility is as your other statement, irrelevant to the argument at hand. Normani is not showing versatility with doing all these genres when she hasn’t established who she is as an artist in the first place and she’s not being compared to Beyoncé because of the different genres she’s done, so bringing up self titled is irrelevant. She’s compared because of their very similar performance styles, how they carry themselves publicly as artists (Normani moves like an already established artist from the 2000’s), and the fact that (due to the lack of effort and cohension put into establishing a distinct identity for Normani as an artist) Normani is a white canvas that can be projected on as Beyoncé right now even if that isn’t her goal, unlike Doja because Doja made it clear through her consistent efforts to be seen as different and separate from Nicki that she wasn’t a Nicki clone unlike Normani with Beyoncé.

Last edited:

kellyrose02

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
20,806 948 919
Alleybux
Sparkly body suits and dancing with the guitarist dates back to the 1960s lmao.

And split and acrobats were used in Britney’s performances? Your point? It’s tied and known as Beyoncé’s brand which is where the Normani and Beyoncé comparisons came from in the first place.

ANTIUSERNAME

Team Owner
Benched
Reaction score
Reactions
127,619 11,232 14,342
Alleybux
Beyoncé is most known for it currently, still very relevant, and it is very much attached to her brand. What other artist is doing that consistently and known for it? J-Lo lol? You bringing up it was inspired by past artists means nothing when it’s widely recognized as Beyoncé’s performance style today. Stop acting obtuse for the sake of needing to make a point. And like I said, if we are going to use your argument: Normani got her acrobatic, split moves from Britney. So again what makes her distinct? I’ll wait.

What you are saying about versatility is as your other statement, irrelevant to the argument at hand. Normani is not showing versatility with doing all these genres when she hasn’t established who she is as an artist in the first place and she’s not being compared to Beyoncé because of the different genres she’s done, so bringing up self titled is irrelevant. She’s compared because of their very similar performance styles, how they carry themselves publicly as artists (Normani moves like an already established artist from the 2000’s), and the fact that (due to the lack of effort and cohension put into establishing a distinct identity for Normani as an artist) Normani is a white canvas that can be projected on as Beyoncé right now even if that isn’t her goal, unlike Doja because Doja made it clear through her consistent efforts to be seen as different and separate from Nicki that she wasn’t a Nicki clone unlike Normani with Beyoncé.
How yoi're going to say that Normani has the exact performance style as Beyoncé but saying that she has her acrobatic dancing style from Britney ?? Weren't you the font who was talking about taking bits and piece of Different artist and making their own?? Looks like she doing that even tho i don't agree with the split comment about Britney. Britney Spears doesn't even have an iconic performances doing the split and it wasn't incorporates in very performances.

Also, you don't have to establish who you are as an artist first to do be versatile. Rihanna was switching genre when she was debuting. And Normani hasn't released her debut album yet so...
I brought Beyonce's self titled album because you bring up Normani's hopping genre to genre as if it was something Beyoncé was doing when it was not a part of her discography up until her 5th album.

Cali Gurl

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
31,131 1,412 892
Alleybux
The only reason I'm here is to say Yall Nicki stans need to retire already. Doja is one of a kind, bomb and prominent. Sis cannot be cancelled, duplicated or imitated.
Nicki needs to come back and release something ASAP, her stans are bored and constantly starting mess with other fanbases. Doja is in her own Damn lane and is nothing like Nicki. They both 2 of the best female rappers, but let them both be great in their own lanes.

Complexe

D I V A
Reaction score
Reactions
16,208 1,122 869
Alleybux
I don’t see her as a Nicki copycat, she reminds me of Janet more.
Her style of rapping it doesn’t sound similar to Minaj in my opinion.

Complexe

D I V A
Reaction score
Reactions
16,208 1,122 869
Alleybux
Am i reading right? Are you saying that Doja reminds you of Janet ?? Or did you meant Normani ?
Yes a lot, her singing voice, her type of songs. Especially say so, like that, kiss me more and streets, they all scream Janet. About Normani being sincere yes, I find some similarities but not at all, maybe in her aesthetic of videos.

kellyrose02

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
20,806 948 919
Alleybux
How yoi're going to say that Normani has the exact performance style as Beyoncé but saying that she has her acrobatic dancing style from Britney ?? Weren't you the font who was talking about taking bits and piece of Different artist and making their own?? Looks like she doing that even tho i don't agree with the split comment about Britney. Britney Spears doesn't even have an iconic performances doing the split and it wasn't incorporates in very performances.
I said her acrobatic stuff was derived and done by Britney since you keep using the Tina Turner argument to pretend the characteristics I mentioned isn’t somehow directly associated as Beyoncé’s brand or performance style now. Regardless Britney is known for being acrobatic and athletic as a artist and in her performances. Normani takes bit and pieces from other artists, but she is most similar to Beyoncé in performance style and how she presents as an artist hence that being the loudest comparisons.

How has Normani made it her own if she’s still heavily seen as a Beyoncé clone? And again, Normani hasn’t shown consistent efforts to establish herself as distinct as an artist yet to say “she has made it her own”. This girl can’t decide on one genre of music which is why I brought up flip flopping genres to showcase her lack of distinction as an artist and why it’s easier for ppl to call her a Beyoncé clone and not the same with Doja and Nicki. Other than the split I guess, there’s nothing established as distinct yet about Normani as an artist. It’s not to say she can never formulate it but right now nothing’s consistent which gives leeway for her to be seen as a Beyoncé clone like Doja was seen as a Nicki clone until she established herself.

ANTIUSERNAME

Team Owner
Benched
Reaction score
Reactions
127,619 11,232 14,342
Alleybux
I said her acrobatic stuff was derived and done by Britney since you keep using the Tina Turner argument to pretend the characteristics I mentioned isn’t somehow directly associated as Beyoncé’s brand or performance style now. Regardless Britney is known for being acrobatic and athletic as a artist and in her performances. Normani takes bit and pieces from other artists, but she is most similar to Beyoncé in performance style and how she presents as an artist hence that being the loudest comparisons.

How has Normani made it her own if she’s still heavily seen as a Beyoncé clone? And again, Normani hasn’t shown consistent efforts to establish herself as distinct as an artist yet to say “she has made it her own”. This girl can’t decide on one genre of music which is why I brought up flip flopping genres to showcase her lack of distinction as an artist and why it’s easier for ppl to call her a Beyoncé clone and not the same with Doja and Nicki. Other than the split I guess, there’s nothing established as distinct yet about Normani as an artist. It’s not to say she can never formulate it but right now nothing’s consistent which gives leeway for her to be seen as a Beyoncé clone like Doja was seen as a Nicki clone until she established herself.
Genre have nothing to do with how she's going to be percieved as a performer tho...

kellyrose02

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
20,806 948 919
Alleybux
Genre have nothing to do with how she's going to be percieved as a performer tho...
Are you not reading what I’m saying? I’m saying her jumping genres makes it harder for ppl to grasp who she wants to be as an artist, so it makes it easier for people to connect her to Beyoncé outside of ppl identifying their very similar ways of performing and branding. If Normani solidified herself as a reggae artist for example, it would give her distinction from Beyoncé and the comparisons would stop bc she would have established herself as as her own separate artist but Normani hasn’t, continues to genre jump and doesn’t make consistent efforts to make herself stand out from Beyoncé. She hasn’t made anything her own and that’s why the comparisons continue.

jonesy22

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
40,118 1,262 1,038
Alleybux
Am I missing something? None of these artists are clones.

I understand influence but these artists are distinct.

lunaflower

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
74,188 2,528 1,339
Alleybux
I see the similarities between Doja and Nicki. The rapping/singing combo. How animated they both are. Teetering on pop and rap. Some of her rhyme patterns...I think Doja is Nicki’s son but she got the stamp of approval. I think the difference is Doja can build upon whatever inspiration she got from Nicki and Normani hasn’t had the same kind of creativity that we expect from Doja. However, Doja does pop rap Princess better and I think that’s because rappers experimenting with pop is more accepted nowadays whereas Nicki got labeled as a sexy girl who sold out.