Why don't more black men and women become police officers if you hate "bad" cops?

Reactions
25,501 313 178
Alleybux

Why don't more black men and women become police officers if you hate "bad" cops?

“Hate bad Cops?” Seriously? It seems clear your intentions ain’t pure, Op. Had to stop and re-read how you titled this thread.

Instead of law enforcement, maybe more Blacks should enter the field of academic research to study and document current and historical events and instances of unbridled racial violence by Whites against Blacks. Or Blacks should pursue the field of scientific research examining Whites propensity for abject violence including genetic and pathological studies to support these theories. Now this work would be far more rewarding and fascinating, not to mention, less dangerous than joining the police force. It would also highlight why Whites tend to gravitate toward this line of work as well.

we ensure many things at work with white people. isn't that how many fonts are making over six figures. i hear horror stories about black women in their professions that suffer depression, anxiety, ptsd, and trauma from the workplace, but we are still going into these fields. even in professions that don't pay a lot we get the same treatment. even customer service work is demeaning and draining and we all do it. i don't really see how this point applies.

Last edited:
Reactions
4,957 103 63
Alleybux
I've been saying this for 30 years!

It's a job, along with fire, that affords working class people a path to the middle class, along with the ability to engage and monitor our community on various levels of activity.

By us not taking these slots, especially in majority black cities, others will come in with less understanding and empathy.

Reactions
24,712 39 5
Alleybux
Protective and serving is not something I am passionate about. I have enough self awareness to know I would be a crappy officer. And change isn't as simple as joining

Reactions
150,250 2,971 3,601
Alleybux
Maybe because they had other aspirations in life or are happy with the job/career that they have chosen. Or don't really have the mentally or emotional aptitude to be a cop and are self aware enough to know that. Just because I think Kirsten Stewart is an horrible actress doesn't mean I'd be better at it, it just means I wish she would've explored her options.

The question really is why become something only to be horrible at why not just do your job right.

bc OP believes there’s an anti cop agenda while pushing black on black crime, so this is their song and dance

the belief that more black people will stop police brutality is so silly. It’s like an awful disgusting layered cake. I feel for black people(who are actually trying to make a change in the police/military bc it’s hard). The way my family member was mistreated by the others(racism from coworkers) was sick.

anyway, y’all have fun answering OP...I’m sure the only right answer is the answer they’re looking for.

Reactions
8,608 216 94
Alleybux
Becuause they don't care. A lot of people just flap thier gums are are loudmouth social medial, fake social justice warriors and just like to blow hot air to seem like they care but most don't really want change. Only get kudos for talking the talk. They don't want to actually put in any physical effort at all.

Turn on Tune in and Drop out
Reactions
54,438 604 510
Alleybux
this is great. i think actually doing someone to be the change is better than just complaining. do you know how much you are going to be paid in your state once you are finished with everything?

Thanks, I feel the same way. I think the rates start at 50,000 and cap at 106,000

Reactions
171,980 26,786 3,372
Alleybux
It takes about 4-6 months to a year to become a police officer, so if our community is so upset about the current racist policing, why aren't more black men and women jumping to be police officers? We always encourage more black men and women in tech, finance, and computer science, but not policing when we so many people seem to be upset about it?? The average salary is right about 60k as well, so you aren't going to starve.

Especially black women, we are the most educated group in the country and hold degrees, so... you are highly preferred to be a police officer since they prefer college degree holders over a high school diploma. Many people do not like office politics in corporate america either, so having a more active job where you aren't sitting in an office could be a nice change in scenery.

I see so many people talking about how police should have reacted, what should have been done and how police should use a taser instead of a gun, how police should aim for arms and legs, so why not be a cop and do that in your own community? Also, many BW want to learn to use a gun and get a license to carry, so why not do that in policing? You can also be the change you want to see by joining police departments and suggesting different ways to approach situations and influencing the way police train people.

Police officers get paid about $60k a year which is decent if you live with someone who is making about the same as you or more, you will be in a 6 figure household. This can go up to 6 figures with experience.

We also complain about some black men not making enough or not having the motivation to be "successful", so why don't more BM jump into this profession and be the change you want to see? 60-70k a year isn't bad and if you are so passionate about change, join and police your own communities.

I hate bad parents too yet don't have nor want any kids.

Should I become a parent because I hate bad parents?

Lol

Expecting somebody to do the job appropriately that they willingly signed up to do is not too much to ask.

If a nurse was killing her patients by giving them wrong medication , I couldn't criticize because I'm not a nurse?

If a teacher assaulted students, I couldn't criticize because I'm not a teacher?

If the caterer caused everybody at an event to get food poisoning, I can't criticize because I'm not a caterer?

Girl bye

I'm all for people pursuing their dreams but you're not going to silence me about what I feel is wrong because I don't work in the damn profession. And that applies to anything so you can miss me with the
"hOw cOMe YOu DOn'T dO iT thEn?"

because I'm doing something else, that's why. Now you do what you signed up to do correctly or take your ass and go do something else

Reactions
294 2
Alleybux
if there are more black cops, then you cannot be ostracized as easily if that is the case. i don't think a hypothetical situation should stop someone at a career. you can get bullied in tech, nursing, computer science, basically anywhere in corporate america but people still do it and are fine.

edit: spelling
Police officers that are ostracized usually risk getting fired, not being protected, or being set up by retaliating officers. In a dangerous career that hypothetical situation could cost you your life. But that also doesn't give them the right to be going buck wild on people.
I've worked in white schools and seen white kids get a slap on the wrist for something black kids have gone to jail over.
I literally could not emphasize this point enough if I tried! Some people just don't know how bad it is!

Reactions
34,934 1,122 266
Alleybux
i am not the one hates the police.

No one wants to have this conversation. If white cops are racist then why can’t black people become officers.

One way to stop bias is to have people that look like you patrolling the communities.

The police aren’t going anywhere. Who will protect black women and kids.

30,000 black women go missing every year. Black teens are shot daily in a lot of communities. If we don’t want white police to patrol our communities then who do people suggest.

You can’t stop individual people from being racist no matter how many laws are passed or how much money is reallocated. The police will never go anywhere as long as the US stands we will have police officers.

Reactions
54,438 604 510
Alleybux
Alot of the points fonts are making just sound like excuses tbh. There are many industries where black people and even women in general weren't the majority, but we started to work in those fields and we were able to make changes and we were able to make people more comfortable. Imagine if women didnt join the medical field because of the sexism and racism we face. I wouldn't have the doctor I have now who makes me extremely comfortable.

Even in the military there are so many Black leaders, the commander of Fort Jackson is black and hes the one who made the decision to fire the drill Sargeant who attacked the black teen in his neighborhood. There will always be police so we either step up and choose to patrol our own neighborhoods or keep complaining online.

Reactions
150,250 2,971 3,601
Alleybux
Chile anyway

there are other ways to make change instead of taking the job. No one is saying you shouldnt(hold tight everyone, the goal post is moving) people are saying it’s stupid to think that will solve everything.

you can make change by getting involved, questioning authority, and holding people accountable. It’s a lot of work but very possible.

Reactions
7,272 157 105
Alleybux
Ive read quite a few stories about black cops who are targeted bullied ostracized threatend and sometimes killed for trying to change the nature of the beast

And THIS is what OP not getting, There is an agenda/quota that has to be met if you want a government job. You can't just join forces with something already established and then try to change the rules. It don't work like that in the white man's world.

Reactions
54,438 604 510
Alleybux
And THIS is what OP not getting, There is an agenda/quota that has to be met if you want a government job. You can't just join forces with something already established and then try to change the rules. It don't work like that in the white man's world.

You can if you get into a role of leadership, which is how we have been able to make changes before. It's like saying Obama should have never tried to become president because it's only been a white man's game.

Supporting Abused women regardless of race
Reactions
122,526 1,080 614
Alleybux
OP you seem to be skipping over the responses that outline why it's a systemic issue built into the entire way policing operates, and that it's beyond individual actions from the inside. Because that's the crux of the answer. Do you have a rebuttal to that?

Which is why what Biden and his team is trying to do is even alot of things out at the FEDERAL level.
2022/2024 is right around the corner. Lets help them do just that. Diversify Government in the highest of places working down...

:flag
DEMS!

Reactions
7,272 157 105
Alleybux
You can if you get into a role of leadership, which is how we have been able to make changes before. It's like saying Obama should have never tried to become president because it's only been a white man's game.

Nah that has nothing to with what I said. You can be a "leader" all you want, but just know the white man gone want you to be a leader especially a ring leader in the corruption they brew up from time to time.

Reactions
4,054 241 499
Alleybux
I see many groans but it's like, how else do you want to see change? I see people asking for police from the community, but many police do not live in black communities, so how does that make any sense? Black people live in those communities so should black people police them?

I honestly think an influx of more black people going into the policing profession would make sense based on the same issues I always see people bring up. And the pay isn't bad.
The only solution I see if we have black officers police black neighborhoods. But black people hate accountability, and sympathize with criminality, so black cops would be hated too.

it ain't safe
Reactions
74,610 2,229 412
Alleybux
When I was growing up in New Orleans in the 90s, the cops were basically a criminal organization, literally. I was better off asking Glenn Metz for a job.

Even 2021, the NOPD is currently under a consent decree. What's the point?

⚜️ Made in New Orleans ⚜️
Reactions
25,463 298 195
Alleybux
Take off the "if you hate bad cops" part of your question and you may have received a better response.

It's still a good question and I'd love to see more Black police officers who could really make a difference in their communities. We saw a Black male as the Chief of the Minneapolis Police Department give crucial testimony against Derrick Chauvin so I know there are Black officers making a difference now, but we could always use more.

I'm a scientist now
Reactions
13,670 238 107
Alleybux
It's a shitty job with a system that is extremely hard to change from the inside, as they (upper authority) are quick to muffle anyone with an opposing voice.
Also there is no saying that the moment a black office joins the team they themselves wont become corrupted over time.

Last edited:
All Ova The Spectrum
Reactions
678 38 8
Alleybux
Where I'm from, 80+% of the police force is black, even the police chief and that place is riddled with crime. Our black cops shoot and kill black people all the time, but it don't make the news because its not racist.

Where there is unchecked power, corruption is present. To me, its bigger than race. People with badges are not checked.

Reactions
54,007 2,200 1,587
Alleybux
There have been many black people and other people with positive intentions who go into the criminal justice/police officer field naively thinking that they’ll make a positive impact and dismantle the system but then are met with the reality of corrupt higher ups and coworkers and are then targeted by those people for clearly being different than the others. It happens time and time again. I’ve seen a lot of people go into this field with high hopes of making a positive impact but it’s honestly extremely hard and not as easy as a certain demographic being hired. The entire system needs an overhaul
Yes, law enforcement and military career tracks encourage hive minded thinking. Either you conform to the status quo or they’ll push you out. Independent thought and free thinking is severely looked down upon.

DMX's Voice
Reactions
62,890 608 82
Alleybux

The other part is that being a cop is something you should have a real passion for and understanding of the sacrifice that you have to make of yourself and your family, because its not just you on the line.

Do you really want somebody becoming a cop because it pays "60k" ? Yes people take jobs they don't really want because it pays but somebody working in fast food doesn't decide if someone lives or dies, someone working in a mail room doesn't decide if you go to jail or not it's alot of responsibility that comes with being a cop and it's not for the faint of heart.

Also if the fast food worker gets your order wrong they are held accountable or if the mail is continuously misdelivered they are held accountable.

That is the real issue accountability to your job which it seems some police haven't been, that is the issue.

Last edited:
DMX's Voice
Reactions
62,890 608 82
Alleybux
The only solution I see if we have black officers police black neighborhoods. But black people hate accountability, and sympathize with criminality, so black cops would be hated too.

If we all really hated accountability then we wouldn't be calling out these awful cops. And I've seen a lot of calling out of criminals on this site as well as in real life. What I have seen though is that some cops lose sight of humanity when dealing with us black or white and that s the problem

The Culture

General Alley

Recent Posts

Feeling conflicted about my boyfriend's mother's death
You feel how you feel and thats okay. Just focus on being there for you boyfriend, even if he acts like she was a saint. Now is not the time to...
Are you guys tipping at self service places?
NOPE. And I’m taking a few squirts of hand sanitizer with me :emoji_v:
Zendaya appreciation thread
It is truly what they deserve. There's a reason why there is always anticipation for when Zendaya comes on the red carpet. That Part!
Did Kim kardashian smuggle an antique Roman statue???
Anyone got a picture of the statue?? Curious to see what this 750K thing looks like Lol. This is it
9ja gist live 2021 (Brand New Tea Thread)
Mercy abeg comot that nonsense you wear for head. that winter cap :arrogant I want to believe it’s just a look for a role
The Clubhouse App Official Discussion Thread
My observation/guess is that they purposely selected creators from all genres and walks of life: micro influencers, minorities, young influencers...
The Armie Hammer Discussion/Tea Thread
Did anyone ever find out the identity of the blonde? Let's hope this one is not... well, you know
Carmen Caboom
Listen to the man's message. Its a great message but CARMEN this does not apply to you because your biggest enemy and the person HOLDING YOU BACK...
Bill Gates reportedly transferred $1.8b in stocks to Melinda on day of divorce news.
I doubt it will be nasty. They didn’t have a prenup but did have a separation agreement. I’m sure they don’t want to waste money on divorce...
Top Bottom